*****2024 Summer Olympics*****

80,698 Views | 1213 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DoitBest
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaroonStain said:

tk for tu juan said:

Italy and Brazil winning medals, how much of an upset was that for the other teams?

China pooped the bed early.

China ****ed up and Russia ain't there
PascalsWager
AG
Swimming is disappointing. If you want to win the medal table usually swimming has to be golden. In Tokyo there were 11 golds in swimming. This time it looks like it'll be 5. There's Ledecky's 1500 guaranteed, and the two medley relays should be close to a lock. Maybe there will be a surprise in either 200m backstroke.

But the track team better figure out their baton passes because I think we'll need every relay in track.

Counter point though, china is only winning in their sure things too. Do we really have to worry about Japan or France topping? Or if just Judo and Fencing first week boosts?
wangus12
AG
I'd agree that swimming seems to be dropping the ball. Shooting also usually gets some medals, but I think they've been shut out
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some of the swimming stars are aging and the next round of younger swimmers are good but not dominant. Golds have turned into silver, bronze, and 4th
wangus12
AG
Also I am not surprised at all to see Coco Gauff crash out of the Olympics early
PascalsWager
AG
I was at the Coco match this morning and she had an abysmal call go against her and she didn't really ever recover. Seems like she's too short to ever put away a smash. In person her lack of height was really magnified. She didn't win ~10 key points where Vekic lobbed a pathetic shot that she couldn't put away.
agdaddy04
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Some of the swimming stars are aging and the next round of younger swimmers are good but not dominant. Golds have turned into silver, bronze, and 4th

And I'm sure it's always been the case, but it seems like the swimming stars representing other countries are training in the US or going to US colleges.
Aggie Therapist
AG
God Bless the USA.

You come here from your home country to get the best facilities and coaching from a great college.

But home is home. I don't like it but such is life and their passion to represent their home country.
clw04
AG
PascalsWager said:

Swimming is disappointing. If you want to win the medal table usually swimming has to be golden. In Tokyo there were 11 golds in swimming. This time it looks like it'll be 5. There's Ledecky's 1500 guaranteed, and the two medley relays should be close to a lock. Maybe there will be a surprise in either 200m backstroke.

But the track team better figure out their baton passes because I think we'll need every relay in track.

Counter point though, china is only winning in their sure things too. Do we really have to worry about Japan or France topping? Or if just Judo and Fencing first week boosts?
Tracking Results versus Sports Illustrated Medal Predictions - predicted medal table at end

USA - 42G 38S 38B 118 ---- Overperformed by 2 medals so-far
China - 30G 25S 24B 79 ---- Underperformed by 5 medals so-far
Great Britain - 27G 21S 14B 62 --- as predicted medal count
France - 18G 31S 14B 63 --- as predicted medal count

So not really likely that anyone will overcome US at the top of the medal table
jokershady
AG
The Marksman said:

I don't know that there's anything in gymnastics more entertaining than Jordan Chiles on floor
jordan chiles literally winking at the camera after she nails her first pass has to be one of the most boss moves i've seen in a long time!

jokershady
AG
And I know it's a little bit of old news but I gotta share how pumped we were watching the men FINALLY get on the podium after the drought they've been on.

I've got 2 boys involved in gymnastics, one is heavily involved and has been doing since he was 5 so needless to say we are very emotionally invested in how the men were going to do this round.....to make it even crazier our head gymnastics coach is one of the 5 on the olympic selection committee for the mens team so at the trials back in june our coach was there helping to select Team USA....

We know all their names...what college they come from...what they did before...we watched them at the traisl...we watched the NCAA championships...we watched the US Championships...honestly I was following it more than i do any other sport.

So to these those guys go absolutely insane Monday and kill it in the finals and get the bronze got me so hyped up!

Our assistant coach setup a camera to film our teams reaction to Steven hitting on the pommel because at that point as long as he hit, it was pretty much a done deal that we were going to medal....it's a facebook post so not sure if it'll actually work here (or if it's public) but it was pretty awesome to see how hyped these kids were.....especially since (crazy thought here) none of them were even alive the last time our mens gymnastics team won a medal

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/GS8Fuoxuwp98urNr/

today we have Frederick Richards and Paul Juda competing in the all-around. That's going to be really tough but holy crap have these guys been on fire so far! We'll see what they do today.

And then last will be Steven on the event finals on the pommel I believe on august 3rd. Very strong chance to bring home another medal for team USA there!
Tailgate88
AG
The link works and that is awesome. Thanks for posting!
RVAg02
AG
So many silvers
Aggies76
AG
So awesome. Thanks for sharing.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Just watched the diving replay from this morning (women's 10 m platform).

China-Best Korea 1-2.

We used to be good at this sport. Don't know what happened.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
Tokyo ended up coming down to one of the final events and using picking up an unexpected gold in indoor cycling to win the Gold count.

On another note, wife and I have been traveling Europe this week and it's been fun watching the other countries get into the Olympic spirit. We were in a small Cinque Terre town last night and the whole village was celebrating the Italy gymnastics medal
KCup17
AG
Men's all-around final is going on. Paul Juda and Fred Richard are competing.

Fred just completed his pommel horse section. He slipped off and now has a hole to dig out of to try to get up on the medal stand. It is the first rotation and it's a long day. But still a rough way to start.
Aggies76
Aggies76
AG
Alcarez and Nadal should be playing the Americans soon. Are any of the nbc networks televising this?
TRM
AG
It'll be live on Peacock. Don't know about TV
jokershady
AG
KCup17 said:

Men's all-around final is going on. Paul Juda and Fred Richard are competing.

Fred just completed his pommel horse section. He slipped off and now has a hole to dig out of to try to get up on the medal stand. It is the first rotation and it's a long day. But still a rough way to start.
That sucks. Unfortunately in this sport at this level if you don't stick all 6 routines at this level you're basically done as far as getting on the stand. Thats a whole point deduction and when you got some athletes on the Chinese and Japenese teams (as well as others) some hitting 15s on events (and even one hit a 16 on p-bars in the qualifier) it's dang near impossible....unless those same athletes have big falls on other events
SA68AG
AG
Aggies76 said:

Alcarez and Nadal should be playing the Americans soon. Are any of the nbc networks televising this?
One of the Americans is Aggie tennis great Austin Krajicek.

Love Rafa and Carlos but I'm pulling for Austin to get a medal.

Aggies76
AG
Yes! I know that Alcarez and Nadal were broken in the first game.

Americans win first set 6-2.

Americans ahead in 2nd set.
The Marksman
AG
Huske with a bit of a surprise silver there. She's been great so far in the games.
wangus12
AG
Holy ***** Huske piped on the last stroke to lose the 100m Free.
wangus12
AG
I thought she was gonna pull it out
Ag Since 83
AG
Vamos Austin!

Crazy last game with the crowd going nuts trying to keep the Spaniards in it
Aggies76
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Vamos Austin!

Crazy last game with the crowd going nuts trying to keep the Spaniards in it

Did they win?! I can't find it anywhere.

NM I see they did.
SA68AG
AG
Austin to the Semis !!! Beats Nadal and Alcaraz 6-2, 6-4
Ag Since 83
AG
Yes, 6-4 in the second.

They had to save (I think) 3 break points in the last game, with the chair basically begging the crowd to be quiet every single point.

Austin painted the line with an ace to close it out
Aggies76
AG
That is awesome.

Will miss Nadal. He was so great.
Aggies76
AG
Wish I could have seen it.

Doubles is so much fun because greatness in singles does not translate to doubles.
Ag Since 83
AG
Agreed.

In the first set the commentator said Alcaraz hadn't played doubles in 2 years and it certainly seemed like Krajicek/Ram were targeting him early. He (and Nadal) picked it up in the 2nd set, but overall the Americans' doubles specialty edged it.
GuatemalanAg
AG
What a performance by Austin, he and his partner had to overcome the crowd at the end too!
Aggies76
AG
Are Austin and his partner the favorites for gold now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.