*****2024 Summer Olympics*****

80,269 Views | 1213 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DoitBest
The Marksman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Katie Ledecky with a new Olympic record! The GOAT does it again in the 1500!
Aggies76
AG
https://www.wsj.com/sports/tennis/rafael-nadal-carlos-alcaraz-ram-krajicek-paris-olympics-doubles-7400e454

Illinois and Texas A&M take down Rafa Nadal and Carlos Alcarez - Wall Street Journal
SA68AG
AG
Aggies76 said:

Are Austin and his partner the favorites for gold now?
They're the 4 seed. Not sure of the status of 1-3.
tk111
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Some of the swimming stars are aging and the next round of younger swimmers are good but not dominant. Golds have turned into silver, bronze, and 4th
This seems to be lowest number of superhuman freaks we've sent to the olympics in swimming in a long time. Still, our best events are heavily weighted toward the end of the week.
TexasAggie81
PascalsWager said:

Swimming is disappointing. If you want to win the medal table usually swimming has to be golden. In Tokyo there were 11 golds in swimming. This time it looks like it'll be 5. There's Ledecky's 1500 guaranteed, and the two medley relays should be close to a lock. Maybe there will be a surprise in either 200m backstroke.

But the track team better figure out their baton passes because I think we'll need every relay in track.

Counter point though, china is only winning in their sure things too. Do we really have to worry about Japan or France topping? Or if just Judo and Fencing first week boosts?

It looks like the US team has fallen dramatically behind a number of countries in the breaststroke.
StinkyPinky
AG
Nice job on the women's soccer securing a win against Australia to close out group stage.
TRM
AG
Dopers
Ag Since 83
AG
SA68AG said:

Aggies76 said:

Looks like the only other seed left is the 3 (Fritz/Paul). Their QF against the Brits (including Murray) is tomorrow, as is Krajicek/Ram's SF against the Czechs who took out the 2 seed.
The Marksman
AG
Team USA took care of business against South Sudan. They'll be important in winning another gold.
SA68AG
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

SA68AG said:

Aggies76 said:

Looks like the only other seed left is the 3 (Fritz/Paul). Their QF against the Brits (including Murray) is tomorrow, as is Krajicek/Ram's SF against the Czechs who took out the 2 seed.
Do you know how the Bronze is awarded ? Do the losers of the semi's play for a single bronze or are 2 bronzes awarded ?
wangus12
AG
They play for bronze
QRI-Ag
Our swim team sucks this Olympics, especially the men's team. I don't think the men's team will even sing a gold in a single's event. I'm by no means saying I could do what they could do, but this performance is still trash. I'm not sure I want the baton 'passed' to this new batch.

Edit: Some events they're not even close.
Tailgate88
AG
QRI-Ag said:

Our swim team sucks this Olympics, especially the men's team. I don't think the men's team will even sing a gold in a single's event. I'm by no means saying I could do what they could do, but this performance is still trash. I'm not sure I want the baton 'passed' to this new batch.

Edit: Some events they're not even close.

Flagged. Medal or not they are Olympians and they are representing our country.
PascalsWager
AG
Track better practicing baton passes nonstop. All I'm gonna repeat after a bad live night of swimming.

Ledecky winning was awesome as was hearing the anthem. But we're going again tomorrow and it's almost a hopeless situation. Ryan Murphy DIDNT EVENT QUALIFY for the 200m backstroke final. I'm wondering if the medley relay is under threat on the men's sides.

Or maybe I'm just bad luck. Most events I've gone to, France has won!
RVAg02
AG
Here's hoping this is setting up for a redemption Olympics in LA, but I'm not even sure which of these young swimmers will make that step. At least not to be dominant like the past group has been.

Also, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about non-US swimmers training and being coached by US coaches, at schools and facilities and with salaries paid for by US donors. I know it isn't a huge number, but it seems like more than in the past. And it's not like they are from countries that don't have the means for a swimming program.

I really appreciated the comment by the Romanian swimmer that said, "Naw, I'm Romanian. I'm going to train in Romania."
Aggie Therapist
AG
Tim from HR killed it
DannyDuberstein
AG
As my FIL used to say after Ken Norton Jr left the Cowboys to join the 49ers, Bob Bowman jumping up and down in his France shirt is a "turncoat ***hole"
RVAg02
AG
Longhorn now. What do you expect.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
RVAg02 said:

Longhorn now. What do you expect.
sips
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
clw04
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

As my FIL used to say after Ken Norton Jr left the Cowboys to join the 49ers, Bob Bowman jumping up and down in his France shirt is a "turncoat ***hole"
Did Bultman where coaching shirts for any of his international swimmer?
LB12Diamond
AG
Speaking of look a-likes.

Serbia ladies vollleyball coach looks just like Jo-Pa.
The Marksman
AG
RVAg02 said:

Here's hoping this is setting up for a redemption Olympics in LA, but I'm not even sure which of these young swimmers will make that step. At least not to be dominant like the past group has been.

Also, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about non-US swimmers training and being coached by US coaches, at schools and facilities and with salaries paid for by US donors. I know it isn't a huge number, but it seems like more than in the past. And it's not like they are from countries that don't have the means for a swimming program.

I really appreciated the comment by the Romanian swimmer that said, "Naw, I'm Romanian. I'm going to train in Romania."

Huske and Walsh have bright futures
RVAg02
AG
For sure. Huske and Ledecky carrying the flag. Wish Huske had been able to hold on to that lead.
jograki
AG
Just learned the official USA gymnastics photographer is an Aggie!

https://www.instagram.com/johnkcheng

I feel like every day I've been in Paris, I've seen at least one person with A&M stuff on. Very cool.
Aggies76
AG
That is so cool! Iconic photographs. Love how Aggies are everywhere!
TRM
AG
Casas advances to the semis.
jokershady
AG
Women's Gymnastics All-Around Finals are today. It'll be Simon Biles and Suni Lee representing Team USA for all 4 events and it'll be: Vault -> Uneven Bars -> Beam -> Floor

Quite possibly the best rotation setup we could've asked for
wangus12
AG
Matsuyama is wrecking the golf course. 8 under thru 13.

Best American is Schauffele at -4.
wangus12
AG
Also how is it that our 3x3 Men's and Women's basketball are struggling so much
Ag Since 83
AG
Krajicek/Ram take the first set of their semi 6-2
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Aggies76 said:

That is so cool! Iconic photographs. Love how Aggies are everywhere!
We're worldwide, baby.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I read this was the first time there will be two previous All-Around gold medalists competing for the same team in the same event.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
jograki said:

Just learned the official USA gymnastics photographer is an Aggie!

https://www.instagram.com/johnkcheng

I feel like every day I've been in Paris, I've seen at least one person with A&M stuff on. Very cool.

I've met John. Great guy!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Austin and Rajeev on to the gold medal match, 6-2 6-2!

The other American team (Paul/Fritz) will try to end Scottish great Andy Murray's career in the quarterfinals later today.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag Since 83
AG
Obviously they are going to stay focused and try and get the gold, but they looked really excited to guarantee a medal there at the end

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.