Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,565 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
GCP12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UniqueIGN said:

GCP12 said:

UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

You don't understand...we are talking the founding fathers of cities (Plural) in south Texas. It's not gonna happen.

So yeah it's hypocritical.

Doesn't change anything for you. You've got no skin in the game. Not your family tree.

It literally isn't hypocritical to have ancestry with confederate soldiers and to argue against having statues of confederate soldiers. Your ancestors don't dictate what you can fight for. It's only hypocritical if you dont want to get rid of your ancestors statues who did horrible things and want to get rid of all others.

Maybe he should bring down the buildings/statues/parks/etc named for his confederate family first.

If this is actually true, and that's a big if, then it doesn't matter what he tries to bring down first as long as he doesn't support either of them. The one where he has the most say in right now is the Sully statue since he's the quarterback at the university where it's a problem. It makes sense to fight most for the things you have the most say in, and the places where you can make the biggest impact

All power to him as I presume he will journey to erase honors his ancestors collected.

To answer your question, he is asking others to live up to a standard and position that he hasn't addressed within his family. A lot of people were harmed by his ancestors and still are made uncomfortable living and seeing the name honored where they work and live. It seems appropriate for Kellen to use his power as a family member to have those things scrubbed from the society we currently live in before asking others to do something he has not address personally with family to accomplish.

Here's the thing, he most likely has absolutely no ability to change any schools or monuments that are named after his ancestors because there have been several generations since then and several splits of the family. It makes the most sense to fight where you actually have a voice, and that's at Texas A&M as the quartback for the football team. If people want to change the world where we live in, it makes the most sense to divert your efforts to where you could get the most done.
I would like him and his entire family erased from history. As an American, his ancestors offend me deeply. I went to Texas A&M and therefore have more of a voice in A&M matters than any other that I can think of.

Is my new found cause worth considering in your opinion ?

None of us who want the statue taken away from the academic plaza want to erase history. If you tear down the statue, the history is still there, the news articles are still there, as long as the history is taught it isn't erased. These statues weren't placed to teach history, they were placed to glorify and memorialize individuals. So this is a false equivalency
You're extremely naive. Good luck with your meaningless fight.

Nothing will change except for where a statue is located and your movement will move on to the next target. And then the next one after that.
ShawnTxAg
Tanya 93
UniqueIGN said:

GCP12 said:

UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

You don't understand...we are talking the founding fathers of cities (Plural) in south Texas. It's not gonna happen.

Doesn't change anything for you. You've got no skin in the game. Not your family tree.

It literally isn't hypocritical to have ancestry with confederate soldiers and to argue against having statues of confederate soldiers. Your ancestors don't dictate what you can fight for. It's only hypocritical if you dont want to get rid of your ancestors statues who did horrible things and want to get rid of all others.

Maybe he should bring down the buildings/statues/parks/etc named for his confederate family first.

If this is actually true, and that's a big if, then it doesn't matter what he tries to bring down first as long as he doesn't support either of them. The one where he has the most say in right now is the Sully statue since he's the quarterback at the university where it's a problem. It makes sense to fight most for the things you have the most say in, and the places where you can make the biggest impact

All power to him as I presume he will journey to erase honors his ancestors collected.

To answer your question, he is asking others to live up to a standard and position that he hasn't addressed within his family. A lot of people were harmed by his ancestors and still are made uncomfortable living and seeing the name honored where they work and live. It seems appropriate for Kellen to use his power as a family member to have those things scrubbed from the society we currently live in before asking others to do something he has not address personally with family to accomplish.

Here's the thing, he most likely has absolutely no ability to change any schools or monuments that are named after his ancestors because there have been several generations since then and several splits of the family. It makes the most sense to fight where you actually have a voice, and that's at Texas A&M as the quartback for the football team. If people want to change the world where we live in, it makes the most sense to divert your efforts to where you could get the most done.
I would like him and his entire family erased from history. As an American, his ancestors offend me deeply. I went to Texas A&M and therefore have more of a voice in A&M matters than any other that I can think of.

None of us who want the statue taken away from the academic plaza want to erase history. If you tear down the statue, the history is still there, the news articles are still there, as long as the history is taught it isn't erased. These statues weren't placed to teach history, they were placed to glorify and memorialize individuals. So this is a false equivalency
Your buddy Ms NAACP has stated no moving it.
It must be gone

Why does her opinion matter so much?
UniqueIGN
Tanya 93 said:

UniqueIGN said:

GCP12 said:

UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

It must be gone

I personally think that it should be in a musuem where we can look back at things that we use to glorify. There are differing opinions about it in the people who want to take it down but the common opinion is that it should not be in a place where it is glorified.
ShawnTxAg
AG
Can we look upon our own history and correct that before we judge those before us
unmade bed
PearlJammin said:

Rick Burns said:

I wish somebody would do my ancestry like this. What a gift.

Seriously.

/po white trash

Not me, I'm pretty sure my great-great-great-great great-great-great great-great-great great-great-great great-great-great great-great-great great-great-great great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa used to run around with his dick out, worship the **** out of the sun, and shacked up with at least 90 different cave women. He did invent the wheel but otherwise was a real piece of **** (never got any of his kids vaccinated, terrible personal hygiene, etc).
ShawnTxAg
Tanya 93
UniqueIGN said:

Tanya 93 said:

UniqueIGN said:

GCP12 said:

UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

It must be gone

I personally think that it should be in a musuem where we can look back at things that we use to glorify. There are differing opinions about it in the people who want to take it down but the common opinion is that it should not be in a place where it is glorified.
Another common opinion is leave it where it is and get over it.

I like that one
Ellis Wyatt
Who put you in charge?
UniqueIGN
ShawnTxAg said:

So why do "yall" want it removed??

He was a man who did absolutely horrible things to minorities as both a general and a Governor.
I can see why it's disturbing for people to see a man who was a leader in a war that was meant to keep their race enslaved, refused to offer POW protections to any black soldiers (he didn't recognize them as soldiers) meaning that they could be killed and tortured, mediated in an agreement so black politicians couldn't be elected in a county and much more, glorified to this day.
GCP12
AG
UniqueIGN said:

ShawnTxAg said:

He was a man who did absolutely horrible things to minorities as both a general and a Governor.
I can see why it's disturbing for people to see a man who was a leader in a war that was meant to keep their race enslaved, refused to offer POW protections to any black soldiers (he didn't recognize them as soldiers) meaning that they could be killed and tortured, mediated in an agreement so black politicians couldn't be elected in a county and much more, glorified to this day.
And Barack Obama didn't believe that gay people should have equal marriage rights when he was elected to a second term in 2012. Let's get that movement started, too.

Some day you will realize that this movement you support will never stop. Unfortunately, it will be much too late at that point.

amfta
AG
beanbean said:

Quite an impressive line of priviledge Mond comes from.
Yes it is.

I couldn't help but think to myself as I read of his families history of how very few of my relatives attended, much less graduated, from college. My Mother did and one of my Uncles ( the youngest ) on my Dad's side of the family the other three brothers made him go and heiped with the cost. Both my grand dads were pumpers in the oil fields around Wichita Falls. Two of my great grandfathers were small rancher/farmers definitely not well off, the other had been a black smith and wheat harvester, the other a horse trader and a bit of a character. My brother and I were the first to go to college other than the relatives mentioned above, we both graduated from A&M, '77 and '79.

My dad worked in the oil fields in the Permian Basin after he returned from service in Korea and eventually started his own oil field service business. My brother and I worked our entire childhood helping him build that business' I honestly worked every summer, most weekends, spring and Christmas breaks from the time I was 10 or so, actually even earlier than that. That was my childhood and early adult life until leaving home after graduating college. I honestly can't remember a time that we were not expected to help out daily, in someway if not in school, most Sundays we had for ourselves after church. I was expected to be a typical roustabout (oil field laborer) for the family business, I operated backhoes and other equipment and eventually was promoted to gang pusher when home from college on holidays and breaks. Most weekends, and on lots of school nights my brother and I were expected to help repair or maintain wench trucks. pick up trucks, equipment, fix flats, repack hydraulic cylinders, greasing equipment a multitude of tasks needing daily attention to keep the equipment running, available and in good order for the next days work. It was expected even when we were attending elementary school, the family depended on it. My Mom worked full time for the City where I grew up. She had good job and eventually became the City Tax Accessor and Collector she also was the City Personnel DIrector.

Monds family in comparison had college graduates, CPA's professionals etc... as far back as his grand parents, perhaps further. How can someone with that background and all that gerational family success it appears they had, seriously look upon this country and its past as he does? He's being too easily swayed by outside influences and baseless hate His family appears to have been blessed beyond mine. No that's not it, his family out performed mine and did more with the opportunities this country provided them. They did it despite all the so called racism he and others think the past forced upon them!

How could that have happened if this is that racists of a country ? I am considered white yet, I had a great great grandmother on my mothers side that was full blood Comanche, she's buried on the Reservation in Oklahoma. I have her death certificate but; the family at the time determined to list her as Mulatto because that was preferrable over the fact that she was Comanche. From the family stories I've been told it was not a good thing in northwest Texas to have been associated with the Comanches much less have one in the family. A trip to the cemetaries, where many of my distance relatives are buried in that region explains why, one needs only to read the numerous headstones of those killed in Indian raids and attacks etc... I love that part of my families History, it provides color and insight and says much about my family They were in the thick of settling that area. My relatives were instrumental in starting and going on the Goodnight Loving trail they were some of the original cowboys. I've never claimed any rights or priviledges to my Comanche blood line by pursuing inclusion on tribal role. I'm certainly proud of that native American heritage, I take pride in the fact that I have that in my background.

I have a really hard time seeing how Mond can honestly feel the way he does toward this country.especially if his families history is as this man's letter depicts, what a wonderful American and Texan story.

I certainly was never considered priviledged nor ever felt I was when growing up, especially thinking back of all the 5AM mornings I was up and headed to the oil patch at such a young age, knowing my friends were all sleeping in, with free time on their hands etc... going to the golf course, the pool or just hanging out and enjoying a typical childhood. I unfortunately or perhaps, fortunately did not have what was considered a typical childhood of the day and yet I feel blessed to have been born in this great country and this state. I've lived a fruitful and full life. I've had to work hard but, it hasn't hurt or warped me. I'm certainly glad for the opportunity it afforded me to pay my way out of there and attend college. I ocassionally dredded going back home and hitting those stinking oil fields but;I had to. it was the only means I had available to me to pay my way through college. I bear no grudges against anyone. I admit I sometimes felt a bit sorry for myself during Jr High and High School, and in College when I watched my buddies head off to a fun beach house week or spring break trip, and I headed back to the oil patch AGAIN ! It was my lot in life and the circumstances that I was born into and that's life. It was no ones fault, it was simply the way things were, God's plan for me.

Perhaps Mond feels the way he does because he was priviledged, he certainly was compared to my upbringing and faimily background. Too bad he can't see his way clear to counting his blessings and thanking his predecessors for what they did for him instead of begrudging others needlessly and without real facts about any of them.

The young man obviously doesn't have a clue that generational priviledge is not actually handed out on the bases of skin color, if it was, his and my family backgrounds would be reversed. Sorry Kellen it's earned, and this country allows that to happen. Your family is living proof of it and you should be proud of that, rather than helping others destroy it ! .
Oak Tree
AG
I find it strange that a statue is somehow racist. We live in the present...if racism happened on campus Aggies should come together to stop it.

Segregation was destroyed yet BLM wants segregated student centers and graduations. Admissions is based on race instead of test scores and academic performance. Progressive professors use racist terms like white privilege to demean white students. Progressives also call conservatives racist as a weapon to dehumanize them.

I don't tolerate anyone being racist...

Joseph Parrish
AG
UniqueIGN said:

mediated in an agreement so black politicians couldn't be elected in a county
This is completely untrue. You can go to Fort Bend County Historical Commission and get a complete history on the Jaybird-Woodpecker War. The Rangers were not involved in that fight.

SMM48
AG
Jaybird woodpecker didn't work out that way...

You really don't want to get into politics/can't run for office/opponent intimidation now do ya......you think political ancestors really did things on the up and up.

You don't get that kind of wealth and clout in the old days by not stretching the rules quite a bit.

Cmon chief.....this is south texas.

UniqueIGN
Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

This is completely untrue. You can go to Fort Bend County Historical Commission and get a complete history on the Jaybird-Woodpecker War. The Rangers were not involved in that fight.

The rangers came there after people died. Governor Ross mediated an agreement between the Jaybirds and Woodpeckers and that included the ousting of all the woodpeckers which then led to black people not being allowed to run for office
Joseph Parrish
AG
UniqueIGN said:

Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

The rangers came there after people died. Governor Ross mediated an agreement between the Jaybirds and Woodpeckers and that included the ousting of all the woodpeckers which then led to black people not being allowed to run for office
Because most of the officials from the losing faction had died or were injured in the street fight. Not because of Sully's intervention.
SMM48
AG
Sure have been some busy beavers editing the Jaybird woodpecker wiki page.
UniqueIGN
Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

Because most of the officials from the losing faction had died or were injured in the street fight. Not because of Sully's intervention.

Not true, most of the woodpecker officials did not die in the battle. Sul Ross mediated an agreement, and every woodpecker was either ousted or resigned. It seems pretty obvious that Sul Ross had an affect on that considering he was the mediator. You can read more about it here, and if you want to read even more you should check out the sources at the bottom of the page.
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/wfj01
Joseph Parrish
AG
UniqueIGN said:

Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

Not true, most of the woodpecker officials did not die in the battle. Sul Ross mediated an agreement, and every woodpecker was either ousted or resigned. It seems pretty obvious that Sul Ross had an affect on that considering he was the mediator. You can read more about it here, and if you want to read even more you should check out the sources at the bottom of the page.
Yes it is true. Go to the Fort Bend County Historical Commission yourself. I know you didn't have time to watch that fairly detailed presentation from them I linked in time for your reply.
UniqueIGN
Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

Joseph Parrish said:

UniqueIGN said:

Yes it is true. Go to the Fort Bend County Historical Commission yourself. I know you didn't have time to watch that fairly detailed presentation from them I linked in time for your reply.

I watched a bit of it, specifically part 3 whenever Sul Ross comes into town. I prefer to read my history, I retain it much better that way. Anyways, my sleep schedules ****ed so Im going to bed. You have a good night
ProgN
UniqueIGN said:

Even if he didn't know his ancestry and this post is actually true it's not necessarily a big deal and doesn't really change anything?
That's some weak sauce rook!

Either we judge everyone and everything through the lens of 2020 SJW street cred or we don't.

Perhaps we just acknowledge that only one perfect person walked the earth and everyone has done unsavory things but it's how they learned from them and then made positive contributions to society.
tbirdspur2010
AG
This is amazing stuff.
ProgN
UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

Do you support reparations? If so, how much of Mond's future earnings will he be forking over for the "struggle"?
Bobaloo
Mond should be very proud of his family history. It is those types of people who built this country. Hats off to Mond's ancestors.
B-1 83
AG
Ag4coal said:

As we have learned from several BLM related social media posts after George Floyd, it is not beyond the pale to tell the world your parents are white supremacists/racists. I have no doubt Mond will happily disavow all of his ancestors.
But is that enough?
oneeyedag
unmade bed said:

aggie appraiser said:

F A M I L Y R E U N I O N

I bet the dodge ball games at those reunions last for hours.

Someone owes me a new phone, this one has coffee blown on it!
Houston Lee
AG
BLM is a Marxist/Socialist/Leftist extreme organization hiding under the cover of racism. But, they are the ones that are racist with their cancel culture that try to doxx people and ruin their lives if they dare disagree.

Even the founder of BLM left the organization years ago because it had become compromised.

An organization that is supposed to be bringing to light when police kill unarmed blacks is now focused on tearing down any statue of any person from our history that may have been mean to POC. They protest, loot, riot, injure people and destroy property.

The BLM organization wants to cause strife and division. They want to destroy by mob rule things that they feel are affronts to them. They want to "cancel culture" anyone with opposing views.

Just look at the organizations that sponsored the Anti-Sully protests. What do they have in common? Democrats, Socialist, Marxist organizations that HATE America.

It's also about "fund raising" with donations that are used for things like bailing protesters out of jail.

WTF does SULLY have to do with GEORGE FLOYD? Not a damn thing.

These are the people that are poisoning the minds of Aggies. There is no reasoning with people like this.

THEY DO NOT CARE to reason with you. They do not care if they understand history correctly. They take the version that fits with their cancel culture narrative and run with it until they beat you into the ground and call you and everyone you know "racist"

These are the people we are dealing with. Make no mistake about BLM and who they are.

Mond should be proud of his family history because they are made up of very significant people that accomplished great things for their community. Yes, some did bad things. But, they also did very good things and that is what people remember and revere them for. The good things.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
unmade bed said:

GT_Aggie2015 said:

Hey Redpot, for the record, I didn't write that post. I simply quoted because I agreed as did the others who starred. For an expert historian get your facts straight. I also don't stalk you on twitter and only became aware of my UN in your tweet by a fellow Ag.

GT, my bad dude, I evidently got you crossways with Brian with an I. I think he was wanting to beef with me. I will fire one final shot in this proxy war and then call it a night.

Brian, I am not stalking your tweets nor would I even know how to, and even if I knew how to, the musings of anyone who feels self important enough to spam the internet with their worldly insights 148 characters at a time are about as far down on my list of priorities in my life right now as you can get (unless you have insight that might help me win my fantasy baseball league). The only reason I even knew who you were or what you tweetered about was someone posting screenshots/links here on this thread.

Just a couple of rebuttals for your response to my post and then you can kindly proceed to have a nice life without me in it, sir.

#1 - since you indicate your intention to remain cordial with Kellen, maybe you can ask him about his mother's family history and whether or not the professor got it wrong, instead of just calling me or anyone else "ignorant" for recognizing the facts that were clearly set forth in the letter (minus the typo regarding calling Sul Ross "Saul" which could possibly be an autocorrect). Seems to me like the person coming from the place of "ignorance" would be the person who admits to not knowing about Kellen's family history.

#2 - neither I, nor anyone here, is calling Kellen or any of Kellen's ancestors "terrible" people. Quite the opposite, some of his ancestors were great people who did incredible things for the State of Texas and the United States of America. We are a better place today due to the lives of men like Santos Benavides and Lawrence Sullivan Ross.

When I say Kellen should be proud of his ancestors and that anyone should be impressed with what they accomplished, that doesn't mean it's the fighting for the confederacy part that is worthy of praise. Obviously looking back at history through the lens of the present, fighting for the confederacy or owning slaves was a pretty ****ty thing to do. We can all agree on that now.

One thing you will learn for yourself in time is that the world changes, sometimes slowly, sometimes all at once, sometimes it totally flips upside down. This applies on both a macro level to society as a whole and in your own personal life. You will look back on decisions you made 20 years ago and not be able to fathom what was going through your mind when you made them. That personal experience helps provide context for how we view historical figures.

I get it, you don't have that experience yet, so it's not reasonable to expect you to understand. But this is why there are some of us that can look at men like Sul Ross or Thomas Jefferson or George Washington and not see a confederate soldier, a slave owner, or people that denied women equal rights with men.

We, living here in 2020, are not immune from this phenomenon. Without a doubt we are doing things right now that our descendants will look back on in 200 years and find repulsive and unimaginable. Hell maybe it's Twitter.
All good man! Just want to make sure our resident historian (or journalist, not sure what he's trying to be these days) has his facts straight because you know he's a historian and all.
DTP02
AG
UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

"If you aren't anti-racist, you're racist."

You don't get to pick and choose your battles. You have to be anti-racist all the time, or your racist.

Kellen parroted this bit of current Marxist/CRT/SJW dogma

I don't believe it, but he said it.

It's a counterproductive line of thinking that leads to the SJW lynchmobs all across the country.

If we were going to hold Kellen to the same standard he would hold everyone else to, he's racist.

Did he know? When has that been an acceptable excuse to anyone know the left?

He's prioritizing other things right now? Sorry, allowing racism to stand anywhere is racist.

This is the standard that this movement wants applied.

I don't want it applied. It's harmful to society. The more examples the left is given that their views are irrational and counter-productive, the sooner we can start engaging and drawing back together. Race hoaxes are an example of that. "Ms. NAACP" getting blowback because she thinks blacks can't be racist is and example of that. And Kellen having to face the contextual realities of Texas history when he refused to do so with Sully, and having to deal with the implications of "if you aren't anti-racist you're racist" is an example of that.

And that's what this thread is about.

nortex97
AG
Seriously the funniest sunday am chuckle in months for me. Thx OP/posters on pages 1-4.

Many of his ancestors must have been very good orators as well.
UniqueIGN
Yall are absolutely crazy omg. Anti-Racist means exactly that being anti racist. Having ancestors who were bad people doesnt mean you cant be anti-racist. Y'all have created this giant narrative in your heads that doesn't even exist in the real world.
DTP02
AG
UniqueIGN said:

ShawnTxAg said:

If we are going to use incredibly biased and incomplete views, like you have above, to judge someone's life, then literally no one can ever be honored. This is the problem when you start with a premise like "old white guy who was alive in Texas during civil war=detestable person" and then twist the facts to fit.

"How in the world are we still honoring a man who had no respect for women and hated homosexuals? This cannot stand, we must rename all of those MLK streets all across the country now, I demand action!"
ProgN
UniqueIGN said:

Yall are absolutely crazy omg. Anti-Racist means exactly that being anti racist. Having ancestors who were bad people doesnt mean you cant be anti-racist. Y'all have created this giant narrative in your heads that doesn't even exist in the real world.
Labeling former students that want Sully to remain where he is as racists is ignorant and unfair. You and your cohorts actually have diminished the label "racists" of any real meaning because you label everything you don't like as racist. You have now relegated it to the dustbin of history, thank you.
AgFan2015
Quote:

Y'all have created this giant narrative in your heads that doesn't even exist in the real world.

Oh, the irony.....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.