Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,539 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
TxTarpon
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

I never understood that song about dried grapes.
English translation: Do no get about your raising.
That means do not get too "uppity" about where you are from.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Burdizzo
AG
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

Yeah, I eventually figured that out.

The Ricky Skaggs version came out when I was young so I didn't understand what that meant until a few years later.

The Flatt & Scruggs version is pretty awesome too.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TxTarpon said:

Quote:

JustisWalkert
AG
Shouldn't Mond be required to feel White Guilt over this?
NicosMachine
AG
Zemira said:

lb3 said:

Gap said:

Yikes, what should those do that become uncomfortable when they see Kellen on campus because of his Confederate States of America familial background?
That kind of research is neither easy nor fast. Either that family acquaintance has a years long obsession with Mond's family or somebody is kicking some dough around the genealogy community.
Yeah all that detail is not easy to come by at all. The dates and names you can get easily, but specifics take knowing the family and some real work digging.
Just to be clear, the gentleman who shared this information is related to Mond. He didn't do any research on Mond, but had the geneology of his own family which also happens to be Mond's family. I can't imagine Mond, or at least his mother, did not know about their distinguished Confederate pedigree.
black_hat_ag
Has Mond responded with a statement?
Bondag
AG
black_hat_ag said:

BanderaAg956
Working projects with companies in Detroit, Chicago, and Los Angles in the past, I was given maps of places I could
1) go at anytime
2) go during the day
3) never to day or night
4) go at your own risk

All liberal controlled cities with high crime rates that hate white conservatives!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Haileno40
Racism in 2020:

If you make a person of a particular race stand behind you in line at a store, you are racist for making them stand behind you.

If you let a person of a particular race cut to the front of the line, you only do it because you're racist and want them out of the store.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bondag said:

black_hat_ag said:

An idiot standing on a statue with a Marxist flag is powerful?
Decay
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Bondag said:

black_hat_ag said:

An idiot standing on a statue with a Marxist flag is powerful?
something something "if his WR were that high up"
88planoAg
AG
Good thing we have a descendent of someone who served in the Confederacy on the new committee to examine all things racist at TAMU.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Who cares? That doesn't really mean anything. I am the GG Grandson of a CSA officer. It's not as if the southern / Confederate states invented slavery and racism. The black codes in the north were so restrictive it is hypocritical to paint the south as evil and racist as if the north was some great utopia of progress. Of course Illinois no longer had slavery as it was not an agrarian state though also had laws on the books that blacks (free or otherwise) could not become citizens of the State.. that is a pretty convenient out.

The anti-Confederate flag, monuments, etc. is mis-direction and the BLM / social justice woke cancel culture warriors just lashing out at something, anything, as they can't rely on actual facts and statistics to drive their myth / lies of systemic and institutional racism, inequality, etc., etc., etc. For the exact same reasons anyone is offended by the battle flag, Sully statue, etc. they should be offended by the U.S. flag, the Texas flag, the England flag, the French flag, Lincoln statues, just about anything having to do with any white person pre-1900.

Are there racist people today? Sure. Are there homophobic, anti-semite, bigoted people? Sure. They are minimal and you cannot outlaw feelings and beliefs with legislation. The reality is there is no systematic racism, there are more poor non-black people than black but the non-black don't commit the majority of violent crime. There is no lack of justice for victims of bad-cops.

You can bring down or ban all the flags you want, tear down all the statues you want, proclaim all the pancake syrup and rice packaging to be racist that you want.. and it will change exactly NOTHING. History won't change. Maybe a few laws will change, some funding will change, more useless legislation will be passed, but none of that will matter.

Once Kellen and those in the rabble are out in the real world they will realize that the only thing 99.9999% of the people care about is what type of person you are, good or bad, if you are educated or skilled enough to do the job, can you set goals and achieve them, do you take individual responsibility, are you moral, etc., etc., etc. People are interested in your character, not your color.

So called social justice warriors are just spreading Ignorance, intolerance and hate more than those they accuse of the same.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
[Grandstanding over moderation is not permitted--Staff]
3AgDad81
AG
#DefundKellensscholarship
aggie appraiser
has anyone tracked down more confederate soldiers in his lineage?
valtosca
AG
"Jajajajajaja" because of Kellen's Laredo connection.
TexasAggie_02
AG
valtosca said:

GT_Aggie2015
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

valtosca said:

I AM OFFENDED!!!

Is that how this works?
valtosca
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

valtosca said:

I AM OFFENDED!!!

Is that how this works?

Jajajajaja!
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Jay that was legit!
dtag75
AG
Canyon99 said:

Quote:

All of his maternal ancestors served as officers or enlisted men in the Confederacy. None of them owned slaves.
Col. Santos Benavides was the highest ranking Mexican American in the Confederacy who was offered a Brigadier Generalship in the Union Army. He declined because his primary interest was in protecting states rights and the safety of the Texas Mexican border from rampant marauders, bandits, thieves, outlaws, Comanchees, and Apaches.

Most people don't want to accept that a large number of Confederate soldiers served because of these reasons (states rights, etc.). No doubt there were many colossal pieces of **** that were pro slavery and that cannot be argued. This country has made huge strides regarding racial injustices and we still have progress to make in that arena.

I would never hold the actions of Kellen's ancestors that served in the Confederate Army against him because it was not him. Also, I will not wholly judge their actions through a lens from 2020. It is not logical.

Kellen - We are not as different as you believe.
But Kellen is holding Ross accountable for actions he alleged happened despite what Sully actually did after the way. Same logic applies.
Carnwellag2
Any response
DGAG92
AG
always gig em said:

Great great grandfather from France?

Well that explains a lot

Oh, how it does.....
DGAG92
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

Who cares? That doesn't really mean anything. I am the GG Grandson of a CSA officer. It's not as if the southern / Confederate states invented slavery and racism. The black codes in the north were so restrictive it is hypocritical to paint the south as evil and racist as if the north was some great utopia of progress. Of course Illinois no longer had slavery as it was not an agrarian state though also had laws on the books that blacks (free or otherwise) could not become citizens of the State.. that is a pretty convenient out.

The anti-Confederate flag, monuments, etc. is mis-direction and the BLM / social justice woke cancel culture warriors just lashing out at something, anything, as they can't rely on actual facts and statistics to drive their myth / lies of systemic and institutional racism, inequality, etc., etc., etc. For the exact same reasons anyone is offended by the battle flag, Sully statue, etc. they should be offended by the U.S. flag, the Texas flag, the England flag, the French flag, Lincoln statues, just about anything having to do with any white person pre-1900.

Are there racist people today? Sure. Are there homophobic, anti-semite, bigoted people? Sure. They are minimal and you cannot outlaw feelings and beliefs with legislation. The reality is there is no systematic racism, there are more poor non-black people than black but the non-black don't commit the majority of violent crime. There is no lack of justice for victims of bad-cops.

You can bring down or ban all the flags you want, tear down all the statues you want, proclaim all the pancake syrup and rice packaging to be racist that you want.. and it will change exactly NOTHING. History won't change. Maybe a few laws will change, some funding will change, more useless legislation will be passed, but none of that will matter.

Once Kellen and those in the rabble are out in the real world they will realize that the only thing 99.9999% of the people care about is what type of person you are, good or bad, if you are educated or skilled enough to do the job, can you set goals and achieve them, do you take individual responsibility, are you moral, etc., etc., etc. People are interested in your character, not your color.

So called social justice warriors are just spreading Ignorance, intolerance and hate more than those they accuse of the same.

Phenomenally written.
PabloSerna
AG
dtag75 said:

Canyon99 said:

Quote:

All of his maternal ancestors served as officers or enlisted men in the Confederacy. None of them owned slaves.
Col. Santos Benavides was the highest ranking Mexican American in the Confederacy who was offered a Brigadier Generalship in the Union Army. He declined because his primary interest was in protecting states rights and the safety of the Texas Mexican border from rampant marauders, bandits, thieves, outlaws, Comanchees, and Apaches.

Most people don't want to accept that a large number of Confederate soldiers served because of these reasons (states rights, etc.). No doubt there were many colossal pieces of **** that were pro slavery and that cannot be argued. This country has made huge strides regarding racial injustices and we still have progress to make in that arena.

I would never hold the actions of Kellen's ancestors that served in the Confederate Army against him because it was not him. Also, I will not wholly judge their actions through a lens from 2020. It is not logical.

Kellen - We are not as different as you believe.
But Kellen is holding Ross accountable for actions he alleged happened despite what Sully actually did after the way. Same logic applies.
I didn't read where Santos Benavides was cited as a "Negro Killer" though? I did read that the Civil War in the Rio Grande Valley was very prosperous for the cities who ran cotton for the South. UTRGV has a lot of information on this period in Texas history. Worth a visit to their site.

Also - Kellen's ancestry would appear to be more Euroean than say - my folks - more Indios. My folks were de-tribalized as a result of Spanish, later Mexican, then Texans. Lipan Apache is the closest people I am finding.

+pablo

agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

I didn't read where Santos Benavides was cited as a "Negro Killer"

No bounty reward money if you didn't bring the runaways back alive
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
buda91
AG
I knew Polo Botello, he helped with my CPA application when he was on the TSBPA. Didn't know KM was his grandson.
twk
AG
Quote:

I didn't read where Santos Benavides was cited as a "Negro Killer" though?
You really are engaging in some Pravda level propaganda to keep citing this.

One newspaper article published by a Confederate newspaper, which would have been gleeful about former slaves being killed in battle, applied this nickname in one article. To claim that Ross was widely known as "the Negro Killer" is a lie. If you keep repeating that, when you know the facts, or choose to be blissfully ignorant of the facts, says a lot about your character.
GDBC
AG
https://www.tamuk.edu/news/_archives/2007/03/farias.html#.Xwk3TCU1jYU
geoag58
AG
twk said:

Quote:

One newspaper article published by a Confederate newspaper, which would have been gleeful about former slaves being killed in battle, applied this nickname in one article. To claim that Ross was widely known as "the Negro Killer" is a lie. If you keep repeating that, when you know the facts, or choose to be blissfully ignorant of the facts, says a lot about your character.

Any questions about his character on this board were answered long ago.
GDBC
AG
twk said:

Quote:

The article you quote is one , Gen. Ross did not seek out Negros to kill. (fact) Ross only fought Union troops, some of whom happened to be Black. Now let's say it another way: Black s who served in the Union Army were known as killers of White men. (fact) The Union army exposed Blacks to front line fighting before entering the fight themself. They looked at Blacks as expendable.
ProgN
GDBC said:

twk said:

Quote:

The article you quote is one , Gen. Ross did not seek out Negros to kill. (fact) Ross only fought Union troops, some of whom happened to be Black. Now let's say it another way: Black s who served in the Union Army were known as killers of White men. (fact) The Union army exposed Blacks to front line fighting before entering the fight themself. They looked at Blacks as expendable.
I'm not well versed on the the CW but by your post I'm confident you know way more than me. I thought I heard that the CSA declared that any black troops that fought for the Union would receive no quarter and if captured would be sold into slavery. Am I wrong in that? If so, please excuse my ignorance.
Brutal Puffin
AG
PabloSerna said:

Also - Kellen's ancestry would appear to be more Euroean than say - my folks - more Indios. My folks were de-tribalized as a result of Spanish, later Mexican, then Texans. Lipan Apache is the closest people I am finding.

+pablo

Cool you are finding some Lipan heritage. Where at? Did any fight Buffalo soldiers?
twk
AG
I think the Confederate government threatened that, but commanders in the field were not inclined to go that route, lest their prisoners received harsh treatment at the hands of the Union.

Ross's command had a couple of prisoners of war executed by a Union outfit, and that was part of what provoked the battle with the black unit mounted on mules that is cited by the anti-Sully side. While there was an exchange of letters with some harsh threats, it would appear that such threats were not acted on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.