Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,557 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

Ag87H2O said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

I'm understanding things happen in history....

I'm just floored that our quarterback social justice warrior who is tearing this school apart is actually part of a family that did much worse than the statue he wants to tear down.

And.... his family was friends with Ross
Its a heck of a boomerang isn't it? Sprinkled with irony and dipped in karma.

It's all time ironic. Just an unbelievable coincidence.

Unfortunately it won't be reported by any news outlets.
I'm sure if Clay Travis, Saturday Down South, Barstool, etc found out they would
PabloSerna
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Quote:

There is a growing and unstable income gap
Look at the only places in the world that have risen from the sort of grinding poverty that has plagued mankind, and you will find capitalism.

Look at the only places in the world that have tamped down on corruption and despotism; there you will find capitalism.

I don't dent that capitalism is a good thing. I would say that we are in agreement on these two points. I am saying that we have a ways to go. Talking about it with the people most affected is a start to righting a systemic wrong.

+pablo
TAMU1990
AG
PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

If you believe in the concept of reparations, that defines with crystal clarity your naivete and blind bias.
How so?

Do you think that the wealth that was created by slave owning families was right? You say I am naive, I challenge you to read for yourself the truth and draw your own conclusions. I have and that is not being naive.

+pablo

And exactly how many families were involved with that? Only 1.4% of people own slaves at the height of the Civil War era (including black people owning slaves). Why are you fixated on 1.4%? Are you going after the black families that also owned slaves? Why would the 98% of us even care or pay a dime?

The phase Not Another Dime has many uses.

PabloSerna
AG
TAMU1990 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ag87H2O said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

I'm just floored that our quarterback social justice warrior who is tearing this school apart is actually part of a family that did much worse than the statue he wants to tear down.

I'm sure if Clay Travis, Saturday Down South, Barstool, etc found out they would

I am missing something here and I don't want to assume - can you clarify:

Does the fact that someone has a connection to slavery (in Mond's case on the Confederate side) discredit the truth they speak?

It a real question.

+pablo

TxAg82
AG
PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

If you believe in the concept of reparations, that defines with crystal clarity your naivete and blind bias.
How so?

Do you think that the wealth that was created by slave owning families was right? You say I am naive, I challenge you to read for yourself the truth and draw your own conclusions. I have and that is not being naive.

+pablo

There is no way of knowing whose wealth or what wealth may have been derived from African slavery, indentured servitude, or any of the other worldwide examples of slavery past or present.

Every time an American buys low cost textiles from Asia they are very likely benefitting from actual slavery or slave like conditions. Shall we begin reparations for the millions enslaved in Chinese factories?

Also - no I do not think economic profit from slavery was right or moral. And everyone who is concerned about it should take a close look at the supply chains of the goods they buy.
TexAgs91
AG
PabloSerna said:

AggieKeith15 said:

PabloSerna said:

AggieKeith15 said:

PabloSerna said:

The major flaw in this narrative is two fold:

1. That Kellen should be ashamed of his ancestors decisions and remain quiet.

2. That just because you did not know about something before (ignorance) means you should do nothing. The old "ignorance is bliss" argument.

Kellen is his own man and I am sure he knows that this is his time, his school, and his decision. The OP's assertion about Kellen's ancestry has no bearing.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Bringing my family to witness history I would hope.

+Pablo

These are assumptions. No where in that email does it say Mond is to do nothing or to be ashamed.

And despite your disbelief of a melting pot here in America, Mond's ancestors would suggest otherwise. If you have an issue with the phrase, please feel free to make a new thread, as it's not relevant her
I can see that point. Ashamed is not equivalent to "failed" as Dr. Farias wrote. It is however still a rebuke of his actions in light of his connection to his family's linage. That is what I am pointing to as some sort of effort on the author's part.

He also brought up "melting pot" and I think it explains part of his reasoning. I do think it does belong on this thread as it frames the basis for his claim - in my opinion.

When things don't add up, things don't add up.

Tomorrow's protest is being sponsored by BLM. The same group that wants reparations for being oppressed by Confederates and slave owners. Will Mond not have to pay those? I wonder what you think on that...
We spent, as a nation, quite a bit on the War on Terror as I recall. Our past and current administrations find enough so-called "ghost money" to pay foreign leaders to buy intelligence - I am quite sure, the smartest minds in our great country can come up with a plan. Like Coach Pop said, "We have to get to the reparations discussion"

+pablo
Go hit up the democrat party of slavery for reparations.
powerbelly
AG
PabloSerna said:

TAMU1990 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ag87H2O said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Does the fact that someone has a connection to slavery (in Mond's case on the Confederate side) discredit the truth they speak?

It a real question.

+pablo

According to Mond and his handlers, yes.
TAMU1990
AG
PabloSerna said:

TAMU1990 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ag87H2O said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

It a real question.

+pablo

But it's one heck of an interview question, isn't it?
rbtexan
S
PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

How so?

+pablo

Your naivete' is twofold.

First, you fail to recognize that there becomes no end to reparations when you start saying one group is "owed" something by another group's ancestors. As I mentioned previously in this thread, my ancestors were Gauls, 3 million of which were enslaved by the Romans. By your logic, Italy owes me reparations. Clearly if I am owed, then also the Italians, Irish, & Chinese who immigrated to the U.S. in the 19th century and were so ill used are owed reparations. Native Americans are owed reparations. The indigenous people of south & central America are owed reparations by countries such as Mexico, Spain, Columbia, Panama, etc. The decendants of those massacred at the Alamo and Goliad are owed reparations by Mexico. Koreans are owed reparations by China. The people of Israel are owed reparations by Egypt. Irish and Scots are owed reparations by the English government. It goes on, and on, and on.....

Secondly, and possibly more importantly, it accomplishes nothing. How exactly does it fix anything? How, in any way, does it change things? It doesn't assuage pain, guilt, or anything else. It's a money grab wolf cloaked in the sheep's clothing of "doing the right thing".

My ancestors came to the U.S. in the late 1800s, well after slavery was abolished. They never owned slaves. I reject the notion that I "owe" anyone anything in regards to slavery, no more than Hispanics owe the aforementioned indigenous people that they enslaved and brutalized.

Your assumption that I haven't "read...the truth" is ironic, since you are clearly the one who needs to spend more time with some history books.
Jimbo Franchione
agent-maroon
AG
PabloSerna said:

I would hope so. It is our cultural diversity that makes us a great country.

Ah yes, the favorite liberal mantra "diversity is our strength".

In natural systems, "diversity" is having a wide variety of traits. Some of these traits are beneficial and some are detrimental. Diversity's value is that it allows natural selection to take place. Those possessing the beneficial traits succeed and increase in number. Those possessing the detrimental traits fail, decrease in number, and eventually go away entirely if they're unable to adapt beneficial traits. There are winners and losers.

In artificially contrived social systems, "diversity" still means having a variety of traits but natural selection is countered by subsidizing the detrimental traits. Being weak no longer means failure and their numbers can (and usually do) increase in number. Those possessing beneficial traits will still succeed, but are limited because they are forced to share their resources with those possessing the detrimental traits and it's possible (and even likely) for their numbers to actually decrease. Taken to the endpoint, these artificial social "diversity" systems will collapse entirely.

TLDR: "Diversity is Strength" is nothing but Orwellian phrasing along the lines of "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PabloSerna
AG
TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

How so?

+pablo

There is no way of knowing whose wealth or what wealth may have been derived from African slavery, indentured servitude, or any of the other worldwide examples of slavery past or present.

Every time an American buys low cost textiles from Asia they are very likely benefitting from actual slavery or slave like conditions. Shall we begin reparations for the millions enslaved in Chinese factories?

Also - no I do not think economic profit from slavery was right or moral. And everyone who is concerned about it should take a close look at the supply chains of the goods they buy.
Bear with me for a minute.

I am grateful for the friendships I have with several close friends who are black. One friend in particular, over the course of 30 years, though various conversations (lunches, fishing trips, camping, et.) has help me see something I never did before.

I will point to a particular discussion we were having about segregation:

He tells me of a time when he was young and visiting his family in Mississippi. He and his brother wanted to go swimming at nearby public pool. It was in a predominantly white neighborhood. His grandmother asked him NOT to go. "Why not?" he asked her. Because that was the pool for the "white folks" - that he and his brother needed to go a different pool. "No grandma - we're going, this isn't 1950's." - something to that effect. He then tells me how his grandmother began to cry and beg him to not go - because he could be beaten or worse.

I was stunned. This was probably not even the case in the 1980's when this happened - but to his grandmother it might as well have been 1950. She was genuinely terrified for his safety. That is when I realized - I have no idea what black people went through.

It is a tragedy what happened. It doesn't need to stay that way. That's my point.

+pablo

Tanya 93
PabloSerna said:

TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

How so?

+pablo

I am grateful for the friendships I have with several close friends who are black. One friend in particular, over the course of 30 years, though various conversations (lunches, fishing trips, camping, et.) has help me see something I never did before.

He tells me of a time when he was young and visiting his family in Mississippi. He and his brother wanted to go swimming at nearby public pool. It was in a predominantly white neighborhood. His grandmother asked him NOT to go. "Why not?" he asked her. Because that was the pool for the "white folks" - that he and his brother needed to go a different pool. "No grandma - we're going, this isn't 1950's." - something to that effect. He then tells me how his grandmother began to cry and beg him to not go - because he could be beaten or worse.

I was stunned. This was probably not even the case in the 1980's when this happened - but to his grandmother it might as well have been 1950. She was genuinely terrified for his safety. That is when I realized - I have no idea what black people went through.

It is a tragedy what happened. It doesn't need to stay that way. That's my point.

+pablo

And it hasn't stayed that way.

Race baiters make up so much stuff and look for the slightest reason to be offended.
It is an honor prize to scream someone is a racist towards me now.

Twitter just feeds that incessantly.

powerbelly
AG
Reparations literally does nothing to fix that.
NicosMachine
AG
PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

How so?

+pablo

Have you read about the southern economy after the civil war and during reconstruction? Any wealth that was created prior to the war was destroyed or confiscated by the federal government. Envy and retribution against long dead parties for crimes not committed against you and for which 600,000 (primarily white men) already gave their lives is not possible. Stealing from innocent parties will not fix anything.
30wedge
PabloSerna said:

tremble said:

PabloSerna said:

Unfortunately it has not always worked out that way. Read This for why "the melting pot" theory is flawed.

Wow, what a horrible thing to have to adapt to Anglo-Saxon culture as compared to say, Ethiopian or Afghani, Chinese, etc.

The U.S. is, besides Canada, the only country on earth where immigrants actually get to become part of the mainline culture. In Germany, France, Spain, etc. all immigrants are essentially second class citizens, particularly if your name is foreign sounding.

How about China? They seem to be doing really well on their quest to effectuate genocide.
Adapting is not the issue.

I would also argue that the American Dream as originally thought is far from a reality in our world today. There is a growing and unstable income gap. I'm a small business owner, and I'm very much in favor of a free market system. I am also a realist and can see that many folks around me need help. It falls to me and others who are thriving to help our brother and sister make it too. Again - that's how I roll. Most others do not ascribe to this Christian ideal.

+pablo

Those that want to close their income gap need to work harder, work smarter, not have kids they cannot afford, get rid of the smart phones, get more education or acquire new skill sets, take good risks. The American dream is still there, but you won't live the dream without taking the same actions countless millions have taken. It won't crawl up your porch or into your living room and find you.
PabloSerna
AG
agent-maroon said:

PabloSerna said:

In natural systems, "diversity" is having a wide variety of traits. Some of these traits are beneficial and some are detrimental. Diversity's value is that it allows natural selection to take place. Those possessing the beneficial traits succeed and increase in number. Those possessing the detrimental traits fail, decrease in number, and eventually go away entirely if they're unable to adapt beneficial traits. There are winners and losers.

In artificially contrived social systems, "diversity" still means having a variety of traits but natural selection is countered by subsidizing the detrimental traits. Being weak no longer means failure and their numbers can (and usually do) increase in number. Those possessing beneficial traits will still succeed, but are limited because they are forced to share their resources with those possessing the detrimental traits and it's possible (and even likely) for their numbers to actually decrease. Taken to the endpoint, these artificial social "diversity" systems will collapse entirely.

TLDR: "Diversity is Strength" is nothing but Orwellian phrasing along the lines of "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
Reminds me of the passage in the Bible where God ask Cain, "Where is your brother?" and Cain responds (like you) "Am I my brother's keeper?"

+pablo

ps: Ayn Rand would be proud of you!

EDIT to correct spelling of Ayn.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PabloSerna said:

TAMU1990 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ag87H2O said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

It a real question.

+pablo

No. But it certainly goes to the credibility of his convictions.

Is he really against racism/slavery/confederacy in all its incarnations or only a specific statue????

Regardless of whether it is his family he should be equally rallying against the things named for his family members who were confederates and slave profiteers (bounty hunters).

If he denounces his ancestors with equal vigor and insistence on changing those names then I'll respect his viewpoint on Sully. At least more than I do.

He said being anti-racist is fighting racism EVERYWHERE that you see it - paraphrasing.

If not it is simply picking sides.

powerbelly
AG
PabloSerna said:

agent-maroon said:

PabloSerna said:

Reminds me of the passage in the Bible where God ask Cain, "Where is your brother?" and Cain responds (like you) "Am I my brother's keeper?"

+pablo

ps: Any Rand would be proud of you!

Out of context bible verses do nothing to advance your argument.
Bird Poo
AG
PabloSerna said:

TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

How so?

+pablo

+pablo

Most of the whites in the small Texas town I'm from had the same fear of being jumped by gangs of blacks. It happened all the damn time, just because you were white. In schools, neighborhood parks, just walking down the road. Black on white violence is responsible for more racism in this country than slavery, by far.

This was in the 90s. Are you "stunned"?
PabloSerna
AG
powerbelly said:

There was a time just after the Civil War when the idea of a reparation would have made a difference. 40 acres and a mule were promised - that was canceled the very next administration. I think we (I want to emphasize WE) as a country need to discuss this and fit it into the budget. As I have pointed out before - we blew trillions of dollars on a recent war. I think we can do something.

+pablo

Barnyard96
AG
PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

There was a time just after the Civil War when the idea of a reparation would have made a difference. 40 acres and a mule were promised - that was canceled the very next administration. I think we (I want to emphasize WE) as a country need to discuss this and fit it into the budget. As I have pointed out before - we blew trillions of dollars on a recent war. I think we can do something.

+pablo

Horse*****
TxAg82
AG
Who gets the payments?
NicosMachine
AG
powerbelly said:

Kellen Mond's family directly profited from slavery. They collected bounties on escaped slaves. If anyone owes reparations, it is Mond. My family was in Ireland at the time.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

+pablo

Did I wander onto the R&P forum by mistake? And are the SJW & reparations movements a Christian agenda or is it secular in nature?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NicosMachine
AG
PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

Under no circumstances should my children be forced to pay your children, or anyone else's children, for things my children didn't do and for which the recipients weren't victims. You will have a fight on your hands and it won't be pretty. It is un-American and immoral.
PabloSerna
AG
powerbelly said:

PabloSerna said:

agent-maroon said:

PabloSerna said:

+pablo

Out of context bible verses do nothing to advance your argument.
For me - the word of God has relevance in everything I do - a seamless garment.

+pablo
Tanya 93
PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

No we don't.

These people have never been slaves.

My family didn't have slaves. And I am not responsible for that even in they did

I am responsible for the actions I take in this life.
And I do a hell of a lot to help people of all races.

I don't need to prove anything by supporting reparations for people who haven't earned it.

So you can do all you can with your bank account to cover reparations/

I am going to teach kids how to write essays, how to interview, and how to take the ACT/SAT.

Something that is actual and real.

Have a good day lecturing us on how difficult it is to be black.
Barnyard96
AG
I give you the new "Reparations Administration"

$1 in tax money goes in. $0.20 goes out.
88planoAg
AG
PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

Who gets reparations, especially '40 acres and a mule'?

How do families/individuals qualify for this?
TxAg82
AG
88planoAg said:

PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

I just asked this as well. I'm very curious. Do recent Somoli refugees who have no connection at all to pre Civil War America have any claim to these reparations. Or do they get it simply because of the color of their skin?
PabloSerna
AG
Tanya 93 said:

PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

No we don't.

These people have never been slaves.

My family didn't have slaves. And I am not responsible for that even in they did

I am responsible for the actions I take in this life.
And I do a hell of a lot to help people of all races.

I don't need to prove anything by supporting reparations for people who haven't earned it.

So you can do all you can with your bank account to cover reparations/

I am going to teach kids how to write essays, how to interview, and how to take the ACT/SAT.

Something that is actual and real.

Have a good day lecturing us on how difficult it is to be black.
Tanya,

I am merely sharing my perspective. That's all.

+pablo

aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

PabloSerna said:
Adapting is not the issue.

I would also argue that the American Dream as originally thought is far from a reality in our world today. There is a growing and unstable income gap. I'm a small business owner, and I'm very much in favor of a free market system. I am also a realist and can see that many folks around me need help. It falls to me and others who are thriving to help our brother and sister make it too. Again - that's how I roll. Most others do not ascribe to this Christian ideal.

+pablo

The American Dream is based on the PURSUIT of happiness. Today's needy are overwhelmingly unwilling to pursue. For the last 6 decades, the poor has been told to stay in your lane, have babies, vote Democrat, and take what you're given. EVERY company I have worked for and every boss I have ever had, would bend over backwards twice to help someone pulling themselves up out of the cycle. They just don't get that many opportunities.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

but please resolve these issues. if you can i'll consider it.

a. to whom?

there are black descendants of slaves surely, but there are also many blacks who emigrated here well AFTER the civil war of their own accord. do they get paid?

there are also blacks who were slave owners themselves both here and in Africa. do their ancestors get paid?

what if someone is the descendent of both slaves and slave owners? do they get paid or prorated or just pay themselves?

what if someone is the descendent of blacks that served in the confederacy in non combat roles?

what about people of mixed ethnic background. do they get prorated on their black % of DNA?

b. who pays for it?

i'm not willing to pay my "share" because my family emigrated here after 1880 from Canada and from Germany and Scotland before that and according to my dads extensive genealogy none of them owned slaves.

do only descendants of slave owners have to pay?

what about descendants of blacks who owned slaves?

what about people who are ethnically mixed and have white blood in them too are they wholly responsible?

what about Shaun King - a white man who claims to be black or biracial - does he have to pay or get paid or both?

can I claim to be biracial and get paid?

There are many many more variations of that type.

Unless you can solve all of those things count me out - there is no situation where all white people need to pay all black people is acceptable.

And even if it were it is impossible because it comes from all of our taxes - so black people that pay taxes would be paying more taxes to pay reparations to themselves. Errrrrr.

I'll wait for your detailed plan and solutions. Until them I'm out.

PabloSerna
AG
88planoAg said:

PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

I have the same questions. As Coach Pop said, "We have to get to the reparations discussion" - what I am reading on here is that many don't want to even bring it up.

+pablo

Barnyard96
AG
PabloSerna said:

88planoAg said:

PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

+pablo

I have the same questions. As Coach Pop said, "We have to get to the reparations discussion" - what I am reading on here is that many don't want to even bring it up.

+pablo

Because its an argument rooted in politics and not in reality.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.