Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,572 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
NICU Dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

KPAG said:

Kellen Mond's ancestory does NOT change the facts :

Sully still fought for the confederate; to keep slavery

Sully was still the negro killer......

Sully statue represents racism and oppression.....

It represents nothing of the kind.

It it were LSR depicted on a steed, riding into battle under a Confederate banner, maybe you'd have a point.

But it's not. He's shown as an academic, and DESPITE his earlier exploits, extended the halls of academia to encompass minorities (during a time when such was still controversial btw).

So...STFU.

KPAG is going to need more than a midol to recover from the beat down tbird just delivered.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Tanya you've been nails lately. Don't think I've ever really seen eye to eye with you on anything. Came back to F16 recently with all this craziness and I'm still trying to figure out what happened. Post more.
SMM48
AG
Baseball season is starting back up

Not a coincidence.
dermdoc
AG
Tanya has always been good folks. Benny converted her.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rbtexan
S
Reading through these threads, I see a lot of this.

"That's racist!"
"OK, explain to me how and why it's racist?"
"It's racist because I say it is."

This does nothing to fix the problem, or narrow the gap of understanding. It exacerbates and widens.

Jimbo Franchione
Pantera
AG
please get a big sign made and take that to the rally

or multiple boards so people can read.
Ag87H2O
AG
dermdoc said:

When she referred to him the other day as Alex P. Keaton it had me spitting out my coffee.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Maybe we should suggest a statue of Col. Benavides shaking hands with Sully?
tbirdspur2010
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

KPAG said:

LIES I'll fix them for you....

Sully still fought for the confederate; because he was a Texan and thought that he should.

Sully was called the N**** Killer in one newspaper article with no context and we don't know the relationship to the author or his motives.

Sully statue represents honorable things that Sul Ross did for Texas A&M University and not every aspect of his life.

Specifically we honor him for the things on the plaque.

Sul Ross was 26 when the civil war ended his legacy was hardly complete at that point but his lifelong contributions should be considered:

Ross did indeed serve in the Confederate army, as did thousands of Texans including the entire 1883 inaugural faculty at The University of Texas. He returned home to Waco and received a full presidential pardon.

He was one of the most vocal supporters of local education for all. He worked with a number of African-American and Indian families as the region struggled to recover. Known for his impartial fairness he was recruited to run for sheriff and arrested a growing gang of white-criminal squatters who preyed on people across East Texas. He abhorred mob violence and was swift to advocate harsh punishment for violators. To emphasis law and order he was the founder and catalyst in 1874 for the Sheriff's Association of Texas, which still functions today.

His only other known memberships was as a Mason (the College Station lodge is named in his honor) and a supporter of a veterans group that raised funding and assistance for the widowed and orphaned families.

As a state senator, he championed education, frontier improvements and agricultural affairs. In 1886 he was elected governor by one of the largest percentage vote totals of any governor in Texas. A fiscal conservative, he balanced the state budget yet insisted that education at all levels be funded. Texas A&M and Prairie View Normal College would not be here today if it was not for Sul Ross. When opponents in Austin attacked, he went directly to the Legislature to prevent it from cutting off funding to both schools.

Ross continued to lead the efforts to expand African-American rural schools when radical Democrats wanted to de-fund support of local black education and he halted numerous attempts to attack the funding for Prairie View, fighting and demanding the Legislature to do the right thing. He won and provided additional funding and jobs after establishing one of the first agricultural experiment stations at an African-American college in the United States.

When African-American Sen. William Holland proposed the hospital for the "Deaf, Dumb and Blind Colored Institute" (today MHMR), Ross supported the full funding. Against massive opposition from the radical white Democrats, he appointed Holland, a Union Army war veteran, as its first director. When asked why, Ross simply noted, "He was the best man for the job."

Concerned with the Texas criminal process, he insisted on a review and upon receiving the report he realized the inequity of justice and pardoned more African Americans than all the previous governors combined.

One of his greatest accomplishments was the support of Prairie View A&M. While opponents in Austin yearly worked to kill funding, Ross made sure the only public school of high education for African Americans would grow and prosper. Ross hired close personal friend, Professor Edward L. Blackshear, the former director of African=American schools in Austin when he was governor in the late 1880s, to become the 'principal' (president) of Prairie View. Blackshear, the most prominent black educator and leader in Texas, testified to the "nobility of his character and his genuine support of education for colored youths."

Ross hosted Blackshear, his staff and students both at his residence on the A&M campus but also at his home in Waco. To encourage the growth of black education, he arranged special reduced train rates for the Black Baptist State Association to hold its annual meetings in Bryan, giving a chance for him and Blackshear to urge the clergy to promote education back home in their congregations.

Shut it down.

Let's go home!
Ole Army 72
AG
NicosMachine said:

I'm not comfortable having a QB whose family was so immersed in the Confederacy and returned escaped slaves for bounties. It's too much at such a sensitive time. Mond, for the sake of us all, needs to step aside as QB and allow someone without such obvious familial flaws take over.
And how many negro Federal soldiers were killed by Mond's ancestor? I know that black lives matter, but black soldiers would be killed in combat just like the people of zero color.
NicosMachine
AG
Ole Army 72 said:

NicosMachine said:

I'm not comfortable having a QB whose family was so immersed in the Confederacy and returned escaped slaves for bounties. It's too much at such a sensitive time. Mond, for the sake of us all, needs to step aside as QB and allow someone without such obvious familial flaws take over.
And how many negro Federal soldiers were killed by Mond's ancestor? I know that black lives matter, but black soldiers would be killed in combat just like the people of zero color.

And unlike most officers, Kellen's Tio Santos was offered a commission in the Union Army and turned it down. He wasn't in the Confederate Army through the fate of his location but by a very specific choice. The thought of Mond and Tio Santos representing our University is too much to bear.
Tanya 93
It is watching the world and country I love, not be something I want Benny growing up in.

I busted my poor white trash ass to make sure he is blessed and lucky in life.

These whiny assed *******s, who often have way more privilege than I do. whine about how hard it is to be a student at A&M?

I went to Duncan with my HS friends or Corps friends I was tutoring because bring a date for meals meant they were left alone. They really liked me coming as a fish because they got ice cream privileges.

I have been lucky in life, despite my challenges growing up poor white trash.

You work your ass off.
SeMgCo87
Barnyard96
AG

When are we protesting?

dermdoc
AG
Tanya 93 said:

It is watching the world and country I love, not be something I want Benny growing up in.

These whiny assed *******s, who often have way more privilege than I do. whine about how hard it is to be a student at A&M?

I went to Duncan with my HS friends or Corps friends I was tutoring because bring a date for meals meant they were left alone. They really liked me coming as a fish because they got ice cream privileges.

You work your ass off.
Agree. But I am still an ass.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Tanya 93 said:

KPAG said:

Kellen Mond's does NOT change the facts :

He also represents saving this university, giving African Americans an ability to get an education. and building a home for blind and deaf black children to be cared for.

So suck it
The only issue I have with this glorius response is the use of the word 'also' - implying that all of the points to which she was responding were accurate, of which all but one (fought for the confederacy) are not.
Rick Burns
AG
KPAG said:

As an Aggie, you are not supposed to lie. I cannot tolerate this.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Thanks Blindey, I'll do some looking.

May need to go take one of those language classes down at the federation.
Tanya 93
Ag87H2O said:

dermdoc said:

When she referred to him the other day as Alex P. Keaton it had me spitting out my coffee.
Not my job to make him liberal.

Our job is to let him be who he is and support what he believes outside crime, Dodgers fan, and DH supporter.

Watching him become his own little, weird, smart guy is the best thing ever.
Ags4DaWin
This guy here......

i only regret i have but one star to give.
man you are savage with the facts. i love it!
Ags4DaWin
Tanya 93 said:

Ag87H2O said:

dermdoc said:

Not my job to make him liberal.

Our job is to let him be who he is and support what he believes outside crime, Dodgers fan, and DH supporter.

Watching him become his own little, weird, smart guy is the best thing ever.

You and I have clashed occasionally but as a fellow parent trying to raise my kids in a good way i have to give u props for the way you keep ur kids' best interests at heart and recognize when you don't have all the answers and even come on here looking for advice when you feel you need it and accept his views and interests without pushing ur own on him.

YOU. ARE. A. GREAT. MOM.

Don't let anyone ever tell ya different.

edit* actually scratch that.

IF anyone ever tells you different just send them my way so I can knock them into next week.
Czechs Out 03
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

KPAG said:

Sully still fought for the confederate; because he was a Texan and thought that he should.

Sully was called the N**** Killer in one newspaper article with no context and we don't know the relationship to the author or his motives.

Sully statue represents honorable things that Sul Ross did for Texas A&M University and not every aspect of his life.

Sul Ross was 26 when the civil war ended his legacy was hardly complete at that point but his lifelong contributions should be considered:

Ross did indeed serve in the Confederate army, as did thousands of Texans including the entire 1883 inaugural faculty at The University of Texas. He returned home to Waco and received a full presidential pardon.

He was one of the most vocal supporters of local education for all. He worked with a number of African-American and Indian families as the region struggled to recover. Known for his impartial fairness he was recruited to run for sheriff and arrested a growing gang of white-criminal squatters who preyed on people across East Texas. He abhorred mob violence and was swift to advocate harsh punishment for violators. To emphasis law and order he was the founder and catalyst in 1874 for the Sheriff's Association of Texas, which still functions today.

His only other known memberships was as a Mason (the College Station lodge is named in his honor) and a supporter of a veterans group that raised funding and assistance for the widowed and orphaned families.

As a state senator, he championed education, frontier improvements and agricultural affairs. In 1886 he was elected governor by one of the largest percentage vote totals of any governor in Texas. A fiscal conservative, he balanced the state budget yet insisted that education at all levels be funded. Texas A&M and Prairie View Normal College would not be here today if it was not for Sul Ross. When opponents in Austin attacked, he went directly to the Legislature to prevent it from cutting off funding to both schools.

Ross continued to lead the efforts to expand African-American rural schools when radical Democrats wanted to de-fund support of local black education and he halted numerous attempts to attack the funding for Prairie View, fighting and demanding the Legislature to do the right thing. He won and provided additional funding and jobs after establishing one of the first agricultural experiment stations at an African-American college in the United States.

When African-American Sen. William Holland proposed the hospital for the "Deaf, Dumb and Blind Colored Institute" (today MHMR), Ross supported the full funding. Against massive opposition from the radical white Democrats, he appointed Holland, a Union Army war veteran, as its first director. When asked why, Ross simply noted, "He was the best man for the job."

Concerned with the Texas criminal process, he insisted on a review and upon receiving the report he realized the inequity of justice and pardoned more African Americans than all the previous governors combined.

One of his greatest accomplishments was the support of Prairie View A&M. While opponents in Austin yearly worked to kill funding, Ross made sure the only public school of high education for African Americans would grow and prosper. Ross hired close personal friend, Professor Edward L. Blackshear, the former director of African=American schools in Austin when he was governor in the late 1880s, to become the 'principal' (president) of Prairie View. Blackshear, the most prominent black educator and leader in Texas, testified to the "nobility of his character and his genuine support of education for colored youths."

Ross hosted Blackshear, his staff and students both at his residence on the A&M campus but also at his home in Waco. To encourage the growth of black education, he arranged special reduced train rates for the Black Baptist State Association to hold its annual meetings in Bryan, giving a chance for him and Blackshear to urge the clergy to promote education back home in their congregations.

Shut it down.

Let's go home!
Nice Dirk quote.
RC II
S

The next time I attend a Sons of Confederate Veterans meeting I am going to nominate Kellen for Full Membership. Heck, he's more qualified than I am. He possesses an impeccable Confederate Civil War Legacy.
ProgN
Zombie Jon Snow said:

KPAG said:

Great post

I'd have added GFY to whom you were responding to, but that's just me.
InternetFan02
AG
This all very inspiring and fascinating. I hope Tom Rinaldi or someone does a college game day feature on this. What a great story. We know espn has plenty of experience researching family histories in Texas after all of the Johnny stuff.

"Star QB comes to grips with his family's confederate past while studying the greatest leader of his University"

Cue the piano music
ProgN
Tanya 93 said:

You work your ass off.
GMaster0
Interesting ancestor. Like Forrest's Mom said, "you gotta put the past behind you before you move can on."

"Colonel Santos Benavides in Laredo actually became the highest ranking tejano officer in the Confederate Army. There are instances of him acting as a slave catcher, where he's actually going into Mexico and retrieving runaway slaves and returning them to their masters, for which he was compensated."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/mexican-americans-in-civil-war
Uncle Nasty
Cen-Tex said:

some of the staff of Benavides Calvary. (33rd Calvary Reg.)

seated left is Major Refugio Benavides, brother of Santos Benavides and Capt. Cristobal Benavides (3rd from left), a half brother to Col. Santos Benavides
My Great Grandfather's Grand Father-John Z Leyendecker...should I get it framed for Kellen as a gift at the next family reunion?
dBoy99
AG
Leyendecker, are you from Columbus?

Some of you are pathetic
3rd Platoon
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

KPAG said:

Shut it down.

Let's go home!

"Shut it down! Let's go home!" Dirk Nowitzki
Uncle Nasty
dBoy99 said:

Leyendecker, are you from Columbus?
Laredo originally ...San Antonio now
Tanya 93
Prognightmare said:

Tanya 93 said:

You work your ass off.

Where is my picture?

March was months ago?

/giggle
encinoag
AG
Any relation to Willis Leyendecker?
Uncle Nasty
encinoag said:

Any relation to Willis Leyendecker?
Great Grandfather had a brother named Willis
scd88
AG
Tanya 93 said:

You work your ass off.

You've been in savage mode here lately.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.