Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,526 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
74Ag1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18152
Barnyard96
AG
Schrute Farms said:

This letter is taking things a little far. It also produces some weak arguments to counter Mond's stance.

There is no "win" in posting this.
Because Mond's arguments against Sully are rock solid and fair?

One side gets a bullhorn, media attention, and the backing of the University President. The other side gets a letter.

Seems fair.
Decay
AG
Also it's hilarious that people are accusing history buffs of being "obsessed with Kellen and his family". That's literally the whole deal with being a history buff. Seeing how the past and present interact!
Charpie
AG
Racist diatribe my ass. YOU RACISTS need to get your act together. Mr. Farias, by Mrs NAACP's definition, CANNOT BE RACIST. So saying that his letter is racist is by your own definition is WRONG.

MY GOODNESS.
Ag87H2O
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

... but attacking Mond because of the actions of his ancestors is a particularly cruel ad hominum attack; since when is a person responsible for the sins of their ancestors? Imagine protesting at the homes of Ross's descendants? Dragging someones grandmother into the argument?

So why does BLM demand reparations for slavery?
Game, set, match. Hilarious how these feeble-minded leftists keep arguing themselves themselves into a self-defeating circle. They aren't half as smart as they think they are.

On a personal note, Tanya I have enjoyed your posts over the past couple of weeks. You have been slaying the nonsense.
Timberwolf
AG
I always contended that Kellen was getting poor advice and shouldn't stir the pot as he did. Im just baffled that people important in his life didn't intervene and advise him against this stand he took. Perhaps they did and he just ignored it.
Charpie
AG
Poor.
BQ_90
AG
Decay said:

Also it's hilarious that people are accusing history buffs of being "obsessed with Kellen and his family". That's literally the whole deal with being a history buff. Seeing how the past and present interact!
Actually now that is called doxing by one person. Which he says is bad, but says nothing about the doxing by their side of current students and alumni
Bondag
AG
74Ag1 said:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18152

So there was a 2 year overlap where Kellen's great great uncle was a state rep and Sully was a state senator.
Pease
Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

This is a racist diatribe. Second paragraph and Farias is writing about Mond's athletic genes!? Go ahead and critique the man if you must, but attacking Mond because of the actions of his ancestors is a particularly cruel ad hominum attack; since when is a person responsible for the sins of their ancestors? Imagine protesting at the homes of Ross's descendants? Dragging someones grandmother into the argument? This is doxing at its worst.

I predicted this would be among the first comments. No person alive is responsible for the sin of slavery, but as a society we must acknowledge what was done in the past and how a legacy of hate and racism is hurting our fellow African American citizens today. We do not blame individuals but we as a nation have a societal responsibility. That is what BLM demands.

Read this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

dreyOO
I don't know Hector, but I wanna buy him a beer.

Hispanics, Asians, and other minorities need to step up to drown out the insanity going on right now.
Barnyard96
AG
Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

This is a racist diatribe. Second paragraph and Farias is writing about Mond's athletic genes!? Go ahead and critique the man if you must, but attacking Mond because of the actions of his ancestors is a particularly cruel ad hominum attack; since when is a person responsible for the sins of their ancestors? Imagine protesting at the homes of Ross's descendants? Dragging someones grandmother into the argument? This is doxing at its worst.

I predicted this would be among the first comments. No person alive is responsible for the sin of slavery, but as a society we must acknowledge what was done in the past and how a legacy of hate and racism is hurting our fellow African American citizens today. We do not blame individuals but we as a nation have a societal responsibility. That is what BLM demands.

Read this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

Can I offer my taxes due July 15? My white privilege took it in the ass in 2019.
Pelayo
AG
Charpie said:

Poor.
and Stir in the same sentence
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Charpie
AG
What am I? Chopped carne asada?
rynning
AG
UniqueIGN Is very prolific for a brand new user. Whose sock is he?
Tanya 93
Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Read this.

We don't have a societal responsibility.

You can donate as much as you want. I will stick with taking care of people here now and not what white people did 200 years ago

Have a great time tomorrow at the protest. Bring water
WC87
AG
It's a good plot twist but whatever. You can't point the 2020 lens at the past, ever.

You just can't.
TAMU1990
AG
Ag87H2O said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

... but attacking Mond because of the actions of his ancestors is a particularly cruel ad hominum attack; since when is a person responsible for the sins of their ancestors? Imagine protesting at the homes of Ross's descendants? Dragging someones grandmother into the argument?

Game, set, match. Hilarious how these feeble-minded leftists keep arguing themselves themselves into a self-defeating circle. They aren't half as smart as they think they are.

On a personal note, Tanya I have enjoyed your posts over the past couple of weeks. You have been slaying the nonsense.
F16 always separates the wheat from the chaff.
DallasAg 94
AGinHI
AG
Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

BLM is a Marxist organization.

Please educate me, and everyone here, on what Marxism "demands"?
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
1997Aggie
AG
Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Read this.

Do you honestly think that paying reparations makes this go away and the sun will come up the day after and all will be right in the world? Bless your heart.
laavispa
As a South Texas Valley Rat myself, RGV history always intrigues. Col. John S. (RIP) Ford's Book has this to say
"The Benivides Family did the Confederacy and immense favor by declaring for it" . Santos was cited by Ford for actions against Mexican bandits. Santos was a Capt. (CSA) at the time.

This is not just South Texas elite- this is Tejano Aristocracy. Likely complete with vestiges of peonage in their dealing with their workers.
UnderTheHillAg
The biggest problem is that according to mr Mond, anything vaguely tangential to the confederacy is rotten to the core, and unrepairable. Yet he might be the most confederate Hispanic in America. If someone he knew had a vast confederate legacy he would want them cancelled no doubt.
UnderTheHillAg
I'm also going to assume that he believes in reparations and holding people accountable for their ancestors...
Tanya 93
Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Read this.

And?

Why can't women get reparations? Black men could vote before my great grandmother could.

Or we get up and work.

I grew up poor white trash. I have no privilege other than the fact I am really funny and smart.
I didn't want to raise my kids in the poverty I often experienced. And being white trash and poor at what was at the time a good HS with a lot of money, meant I was seen as lesser.

Oh well. I worked my ass off and eventually got a Masters. I speak 4 languages.
These BLM student activists have every opportunity I did. I just don't see myself as a victim other than the Irish and Welsh ancestors caused me to need SPF 100.

They need to work hard instead of seeing everything as an offense against their poor little egos
Charpie
AG
Couldn't have said it any better myself
Sefton
AGinHI said:

Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

BLM is a Marxist organization.

Please educate me, and everyone here, on what Marxism "demands"?
This.
BLM can "demand" whatever the hell they want. Yell it to their hearts content.
If you look at their website, they "demand" a lot of leftist crap.
And as far as reparations, I think I respect this man's opinion on it...
https://www.larryelder.com/column/reparations-how-not-to-foster-racial-harmony/
aggiez03
AG
Tanya 93 said:

aggiez03 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

I swear you liberals are experts in hypocrisy...

This is about the 3rd post in this thread that are reinforcing exactly what conservatives have been saying all along.

Libs be like..

What am I hypocritical about?
Not you dear, The post above yours... Your post is right on and is highlighting the hypocrisy..

Just laughing when SJW start adopting conservative talking points when defending their own actions.

trouble
AG
aggietony2010 said:

You have to pay for the ignore function, and a lot of us have stopped doing that.

You currently have 2 stars and people stay ignored even after you drop them.
geoag58
AG
Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Read this.

Does fifty years of affirmative action count for nothing. Affirmative action continues today.
Bondag
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Read this.

And?

Why can't women get reparations? Black men could vote before my great grandmother could.

Or we get up and work.

I grew up poor white trash. I have no privilege other than the fact I am really funny and smart.
I didn't want to raise my kids in the poverty I often experienced. And being white trash and poor at what was at the time a good HS with a lot of money, meant I was seen as lesser.

These BLM student activists have every opportunity I did. I just don't see myself as a victim other than the Irish and Welsh ancestors caused me to need SPF 100.

They need to work hard instead of seeing everything as an offense against their poor little egos

That is the irony. His family had a hell of a head start on my white family that was still picking cotton in the 1950s
aggierogue
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

Read this.

And?

Or we get up and work.

Any tips on the best way to go about learning a foreign language? I'm in the process of learning Spanish right now.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Just tuned in this morning. On page 3 catching up.

Two days ago I posted that I hoped karma would be received by QB1 and his teammates and mob of protestors. The post was deleted. Goodness, my statement request was answered fast...karma, it's a sonna***un.

Gig'em!
Dad-O-Lot
AG
UniqueIGN said:

Tanya 93 said:

UniqueIGN said:

GCP12 said:

UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

You don't understand...we are talking the founding fathers of cities (Plural) in south Texas. It's not gonna happen.

So yeah it's hypocritical.

Doesn't change anything for you. You've got no skin in the game. Not your family tree.

It literally isn't hypocritical to have ancestry with confederate soldiers and to argue against having statues of confederate soldiers. Your ancestors don't dictate what you can fight for. It's only hypocritical if you dont want to get rid of your ancestors statues who did horrible things and want to get rid of all others.

Maybe he should bring down the buildings/statues/parks/etc named for his confederate family first.

If this is actually true, and that's a big if, then it doesn't matter what he tries to bring down first as long as he doesn't support either of them. The one where he has the most say in right now is the Sully statue since he's the quarterback at the university where it's a problem. It makes sense to fight most for the things you have the most say in, and the places where you can make the biggest impact

All power to him as I presume he will journey to erase honors his ancestors collected.

To answer your question, he is asking others to live up to a standard and position that he hasn't addressed within his family. A lot of people were harmed by his ancestors and still are made uncomfortable living and seeing the name honored where they work and live. It seems appropriate for Kellen to use his power as a family member to have those things scrubbed from the society we currently live in before asking others to do something he has not address personally with family to accomplish.

Here's the thing, he most likely has absolutely no ability to change any schools or monuments that are named after his ancestors because there have been several generations since then and several splits of the family. It makes the most sense to fight where you actually have a voice, and that's at Texas A&M as the quartback for the football team. If people want to change the world where we live in, it makes the most sense to divert your efforts to where you could get the most done.
I would like him and his entire family erased from history. As an American, his ancestors offend me deeply. I went to Texas A&M and therefore have more of a voice in A&M matters than any other that I can think of.

Is my new found cause worth considering in your opinion ?

None of us who want the statue taken away from the academic plaza want to erase history. If you tear down the statue, the history is still there, the news articles are still there, as long as the history is taught it isn't erased. These statues weren't placed to teach history, they were placed to glorify and memorialize individuals. So this is a false equivalency
Your buddy Ms NAACP has stated no moving it.
It must be gone

Why does her opinion matter so much?

I personally think that it should be in a musuem where we can look back at things that we use to glorify. There are differing opinions about it in the people who want to take it down but the common opinion is that it should not be in a place where it is glorified.
I would hope that we would continue to glorify the hard work, sacrifice, integrity, and dedication that Lawrence Sullivan Ross displayed in protecting Texas A&M University.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Question: Is there a movement to rename Sul Ross State University?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.