Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,560 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thank you
twk
AG
I should clarify that not treating former slaves the same as other Union prisoners was a definite sticking point, and one reason why prisoner exchanges largely stopped halfway through the war.
Southlake Ag
AG
Ttt
Carnwellag2
Has their been an apology yet?
Southlake Ag
AG
Tot
valtosca
AG
Jajajaja, Kellen Mond is related to the most famous Laredoan Confederate.
TMartin
Will Mond respond to these FACTS or just beat the drum louder?
PabloSerna
AG
twk said:

Quote:

I didn't read where Santos Benavides was cited as a "Negro Killer" though?
You really are engaging in some Pravda level propaganda to keep citing this.

One newspaper article published by a Confederate newspaper, which would have been gleeful about former slaves being killed in battle, applied this nickname in one article. To claim that Ross was widely known as "the Negro Killer" is a lie. If you keep repeating that, when you know the facts, or choose to be blissfully ignorant of the facts, says a lot about your character.
My character is not the one in question now is it?

A cult of personality is what is apparent to me. It should be about TAMU (past, present, and future).

BrandoC
AG
If he opens his mouth again at a "rally" somebody there should make a statement to him that his family had slave owners. I would love to see his face and excuse response to that.
PabloSerna
AG
TMartin said:

You know this reminds me of Saint Paul. He attacked and executed Christians before his conversion. Funny how God works that.

kraut
AG
PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

You know this reminds me of Saint Paul. He attacked and executed Christians before his conversion. Funny how God works that.

You could say the same about President Ross.
rbtexan
S
PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

I suppose no one should ever sing "Amazing Grace" anymore, since the man who wrote it (John Newton) was the captain of slave ships earlier in life.

Cancel culture is stupid and intellectually dishonest.
Jimbo Franchione
aggie appraiser
PabloSerna said:

twk said:

Quote:

I didn't read where Santos Benavides was cited as a "Negro Killer" though?
You really are engaging in some Pravda level propaganda to keep citing this.

One newspaper article published by a Confederate newspaper, which would have been gleeful about former slaves being killed in battle, applied this nickname in one article. To claim that Ross was widely known as "the Negro Killer" is a lie. If you keep repeating that, when you know the facts, or choose to be blissfully ignorant of the facts, says a lot about your character.

A cult of personality is what is apparent to me. It should be about TAMU (past, present, and future).

Did you read where Santos Benavides was paid money to go into Mexico to retrieve runaway slaves?
twk
AG
Quote:

If you continue to insist upon the assertion that Ross was commonly known as "the Negro Killer," when the facts have been laid out, then I would agree, your character is no longer in question, because the question has been answered. A cult of personality perpetuates a big lie, and that is exactly what you are doing.
Gigem314
AG
PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

Yes, history is filled with people who changed their heart and did good things later in their life.

Sul Ross is a great example of this, his later life was dedicated to serving Texas, the United States, and higher education opportunities in Texas.

And that's what Texas A&M recognizes him for.
Bondag
AG
rbtexan said:

PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

I suppose no one should ever sing "Amazing Grace" anymore, since the man who wrote it (John Newton) was the captain of slave ships earlier in life.

It is almost like our nation is ignoring all Christian ideals that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, that no one is perfect and we require forgiveness.

Slicer97
AG
Bondag said:

It is almost like our nation is ignoring all Christian ideals that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, that no one is perfect and we require forgiveness.

Shouldn't be a surprise. Marxist worship government, not God. That is why their lives are so empty. I think they want to push their beliefs so that they are not alone in their misery. That's the only thing I can come up with, because their beliefs are stupid and unappealing.
Burdizzo
AG
Slicer97 said:

Bondag said:

Shouldn't be a surprise. Marxist worship government, not God. That is why their lives are so empty. I think they want to push their beliefs so that they are not alone in their misery. That's the only thing I can come up with, because their beliefs are stupid and unappealing.

Marxist require loyalty to the Revolution, whatever form it is that day.
amfta
AG
PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

Yep exactly, its like a now do that for Sully
powerbelly
AG
PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

And yet you don't extend the same grace to Sully. Curious.
PabloSerna
AG
twk said:

Quote:

If you continue to insist upon the assertion that Ross was commonly known as "the Negro Killer," when the facts have been laid out, then I would agree, your character is no longer in question, because the question has been answered. A cult of personality perpetuates a big lie, and that is exactly what you are doing.

You stand corrected. Look back to read that I used the word "cited."

You can feel anyway you want about me - I don't really care - just stick to the facts, lest we see your true colors.

EDIT - typo..
PabloSerna
AG
powerbelly said:

PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

And yet you don't extend the same grace to Sully. Curious.
Who says I haven't?

I have always stated the same position - that we need to add context to the statue. The only context right now is a plaque that includes the fact that he served as a General in the CSA.

I have also pointed out the location of the statue as an issue. I would prefer to see it moved to a different location, but I don't think TAMU Leadership will do this. I think it is more likely that other statues are added and context given. I think that is a solid step forward.

Quit building me up as some marxist cancel culture type - I have other beliefs that would make them quite uneasy.

twk
AG
PabloSerna said:

twk said:

Quote:

I can feel anyway you want about me - I don't really care - just stick to the facts,lest we see your true colors.

Weak attempt at deflection. You, Kellen, and his buddies, are all about propagating the lie that Ross was some kind of demonic figure who killed blacks (or Native Americans--if you are Alvard) for sport. It's the lie you're trying to sell to justify taking down the statue. If he was cited, once, as "the Negro Killer," and you keep citing that as a basis for taking down the statue, then you are relying upon that claim.
PabloSerna
AG
Gigem314 said:

PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

Yes, history is filled with people who changed their heart and did good things later in their life.

Sul Ross is a great example of this, his later life was dedicated to serving Texas, the United States, and higher education opportunities in Texas.

I agree 100% - why is this so hard to put into context at the statue itself?

PabloSerna
AG
Bondag said:

rbtexan said:

PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

We should strive to be a more perfect union.. this is part of it, in my opinion.

PabloSerna
AG
twk said:

PabloSerna said:

twk said:

Quote:

I can feel anyway you want about me - I don't really care - just stick to the facts,lest we see your true colors.

Weak attempt at deflection. You, Kellen, and his buddies, are all about propagating the lie that Ross was some kind of demonic figure who killed blacks (or Native Americans--if you are Alvard) for sport. It's the lie you're trying to sell to justify taking down the statue. If he was cited, once, as "the Negro Killer," and you keep citing that as a basis for taking down the statue, then you are relying upon that claim.

It bothers me too that someone, so revered in our university fought for the ideals espoused by the CSA. On the back of that statue, it memorializes his service as a General in the CSA. I would like to see more context added to show what he did later in life. If that statue is to hold a place of prominence, and I have laid out my reasons why I believe it does - we need to address this very aspect of his life.

It would seem that some Aggies are opposed to the very idea - that is what I am referring to as a 'cult of personality' - that the memory and image is untouchable.

twk
AG
I don't have a problem with a more complete statement of why he's being honored. That's a reasonable argument to make. The "Negro Killer" thing is what is poor form--it's taking something totally out of context.

I think you are projecting 21st century sensibilities onto Ross's decision to fight for the confederacy when you find that to be a major character flaw. That's a dangerous game to be playing, because, if history teaches us anything, it is that what we find good and acceptable now will someday be viewed differently by future generations. I'm glad the Union won, but I understand why the folks living the the states that joined the Confederacy served on that side in the Civil War. Even folks that opposed secession like Sam Houston couldn't bring themselves to drawing swords on their neighbors.

When you look back on the time when the statue was erected, people would have considered it strange to omit service as a general in the Confederacy from his list of accomplishments on the base of the statue. To the folks in 1919, It would have seemed a bit like honoring George Washington without noting his service as commander of the revolutionary army.
valtosca
AG
PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

Replace Sully with a statue of St Paul; or, better yet, a crucifix.
valtosca
AG
Bumping so Col. Santos Benavides is not forgotten.
Gigem314
AG
PabloSerna said:

Gigem314 said:

PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

I agree 100% - why is this so hard to put into context at the statue itself?

It recognizes what he did for Texas A&M. I don't see a context problem. If more people would look at the full course of his life, that might help.
valtosca
AG
Bumping so Col. Santos Benavides is not forgotten.
Removed:09182020
AG
I'm not going to read through this thread. What relevance does having Confederate family history have to Mond's argument?
Owlagdad
Gigem314 said:

PabloSerna said:

TMartin said:

Blacks fell all over George Wallace once he "changed".
FCBlitz
Just because the Sully controversy has gone radio silent doesn't mean Monde is being forgotten. He is not getting off till he apologizes for helping to instigate conflict on campus.

Monde enable the dude to write his own racist letter and stick it on his car.......then blamed white people. Extremely racist act perpetrated on whites.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FCBlitz said:

Just because the Sully controversy has gone radio silent doesn't mean Monde is being forgotten. He is not getting off till he apologizes for helping to instigate conflict on campus.

Monde enable the dude to write his own racist letter and stick it on his car.......then blamed white people. Extremely racist act perpetrated on whites.

who is this Monde person?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.