Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,548 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
valtosca
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kellen Mond is a direct descendant of Col Santos Benavides
Bondag
AG
I wonder how much people like Davy Crockett and the Volunteers coming to Texas played a role in Texans like Sully feeling like they owed it to return the favor. Since none of us were there we will not know the thoughts, but I saw a book I have on him today and it had me thinking from that perspective.
hbtheduce
AG
Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

Canyon said "We're honoring that he fought for his country. Not a damn thing wrong with that."
Hmm. "his country". Not "The CSA". Just checking.
The difference being....

Fighting along side your neighbors shows bravery and sacrifice. They fought for the wrong reasons, but I think the people of today can separate that.
CanyonAg77
AG
hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

Canyon said "We're honoring that he fought for his country. Not a damn thing wrong with that."
The difference being....

Fighting along side your neighbors shows bravery and sacrifice. They fought for the wrong reasons, but I think the people of today can separate that.
Apparently not.
AGHouston11
AG
valtosca said:

The irony of this never gets old.
Hardly any of us have a direct ancestor that publicly wrote of Sully being a friend.
BoerneGator
AG
hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

How is fighting to protect your home from an invading army "wrong"? Have you even tried putting yourself in their shoes/brogans? I seriously doubt it. Don't give in to the PC climate/culture. It's not a good look...
Owlagdad
AGHouston11 said:

valtosca said:

Hardly any of us have a direct ancestor that publicly wrote of Sully being a friend.

Did he attend private school in Florida with money made off the backs of slave labor?
hbtheduce
AG
BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

How is fighting to protect your home from an invading army "wrong"? Have you even tried putting yourself in their shoes/brogans? I seriously doubt it. Don't give in to the PC climate/culture. It's not a good look...

Fighting to preserve slavery would be wrong. If you can accept their premise while still destroying their narrative. You are much more persuasive.

It really doesn't matter to me that people 200 years ago could have been racist. That isn't why I want to preserve their memories or southern culture. Keep trying to define me though bro.
BoerneGator
AG
hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

Fighting to preserve slavery would be wrong. If you can accept their premise while still destroying their narrative. You are much more persuasive.

It really doesn't matter to me that people 200 years ago could have been racist. That isn't why I want to preserve their memories or southern culture. Keep trying to define me though bro.

"Define you"? I know nothing about you, "bro", other than you used very poor judgment questioning the motives of men defending their homes and property against an invading army, while assigning a motive you cannot prove nor substantiate. It might "look" good on an internet message board, but you'd never accuse them of it to their faces, so why dishonor their memories by doing it here?
wargograw
hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

Fighting to preserve slavery would be wrong.

Yes, it would be. Too bad that's not what they were fighting for. Read James McPherson's "For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War."
nortex97
AG
AGHouston11 said:

valtosca said:

Col Benavides never had a delay of game penalty on his watch, though. Any minute now I expect Kellen Mond to go protest the schools named after Benavides. He would have a lot of credibility in that social justice march/tweets.
hbtheduce
AG
BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

"Define you"? I know nothing about you, "bro", other than you used very poor judgment questioning the motives of men defending their homes and property against an invading army, while assigning a motive you cannot prove nor substantiate. It might "look" good on an internet message board, but you'd never accuse them of it to their faces, so why dishonor their memories by doing it here?

Well seeing how they are all dead. I can't say anything to their faces.

If you want to argue for 20 more pages over the wide range of motives of men alive 200 years ago with sapper. That's your choice. My point remains the same.

Even if you assume the worst motives to confederate soldiers, it wouldn't warrant the removal of statues, names, flags, etc. because no one today would like those "worst" motives (and I agree, it ignores the motives of the common southerner)
hbtheduce
AG
wargograw said:

hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

Fighting to preserve slavery would be wrong.

Yes, it would be. Too bad that's not what they were fighting for. Read James McPherson's "For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War."

Almost every modern confederate "supporter" would agree that is bad. Which is why the arguments against confederate symbols is in bad faith.

I'm steel-manning the argument. Obviously the actual motives of southern citizens were wide ranging.
BoerneGator
AG
hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

If you want to argue for 20 more pages over the wide range of motives of men alive 200 years ago with sapper. That's your choice. My point remains the same.

Even if you assume the worst motives to confederate soldiers, it wouldn't warrant the removal of statues, names, flags, etc. because no one today would like those "worst" motives (and I agree, it ignores the motives of the common southerner)
I'm not arguing the motives, other than vigorously rejecting THE motive YOU attributed to Confederates. And you can make your point (which i obviously agree with, btw) without denigrating the memories and motives of Confederates as so many are wont to do. THAT is my point, sir!
hbtheduce
AG
BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

I'm not arguing the motives, other than vigorously rejecting THE motive YOU attributed to Confederates. And you can make your point (which i obviously agree with, btw) without denigrating the memories and motives of Confederates as so many are wont to do. THAT is my point, sir!

False. Its the motives that are assigned by their critics. At its core, that is the weakness I'm attacking.

The critics are the only people saying that these symbols celebrate slavery. They want to define the symbols, and they are dead wrong.
Decay
AG
Kellen is on the BLOC - Black Leaders on Campus - which issued demands.

One of their demands is that the campus must remove any statues and rename any buildings that "have an association with" the CSA. If he won a Heisman and we put up a statue, he is literally advocating its removal.
End Of Message
AG
Decay said:

Kellen is on the BLOC - Black Leaders on Campus - which issued demands.

One of their demands is that the campus must remove any statues and rename any buildings that "have an association with" the CSA. If he won a Heisman and we put up a statue, he is literally advocating its removal.

Good thing he won't win a Heisman.
Decay
AG
At this point I wish he would just to live the delicious irony of protesting a CIVIL WAR GENERAL'S DESCENDANT'S STATUE
sportsfreak1975
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

BoerneGator said:

hbtheduce said:

Malibu said:

Decay said:

Malibu said:

The difference being....

?
atmtws
AG
So what happens when the woke NFL mob finds out about his lineage?
Faustus
atmtws said:

So what happens when the woke NFL mob finds out about his lineage?

From the top 5 finish to all but a second round draft pick, I'd say just stop rooting for schadenfreude and take the loss as far as how you hoped it would play out.

Also Viking fans discovering this thread wouldn't be great as far as these things go I'm thinking.

Kind of a funny bump.
atmtws
AG
It took you seven edits to get that out?
Faustus
I tend to worry at my posts, which is funny since I resent even spellchecking my actual work product.
Ex-liberalag12
Unless you people are under 11 yo, Time to Grow UP...
BigRobSA
Faustus said:

I tend to worry at my posts, which is funny since I resent even spellchecking my actual work product.

"You people"!?

Ok, David Duke!
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.