Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,545 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
Post removed:
by user
PabloSerna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

PabloSerna said:

Ags4DaWin said:

PabloSerna said:

88planoAg said:

I think the answer to 'who pays', according to those who support reparations, is the American government, because there is "plenty of money we already spend on wars". You can see it already in his answers.

It is absurd. The people of all colors paying into the government now need to turn around and gift - who, exactly? because of the sins of the past.

Taxes are everyone's $$. But taxes need to go to a specific portion of the American population to make things equitable because of ancestor sins.

Was it right for our government to make promises and then break them? Apparently not. A recent SCOTUS decision started of with this by Justice Gorsuch,

"On the far end of the Trail of Tears was a promise. Forced to leave their ancestral lands in Georgia and Alabama, the Creek Nation received assurances that their new lands in the West would be secure forever."

I contend that we made promises to former slaves and we canceled them the very next term. That was not right to do and we should right that wrong.

+pablo

show me the recently freed slaves and i will start a gofundme. the truth is for the past 50 years- that's 4-5 generations abundant opportunities have been given to blacks as a group that whites as a group did not see. some took advantage and have become prosperous. some did not.

A failure to do so does not lie at the door of white people.

yeah - I was always using the "we" to make my point.

+pablo

That was not the point of my post. i gave you further clarification here:

regardless, cutting a check by taxing white people who had nothing to do with slavery will do nothing long term for the black community and is illegal, immoral, and unjust. if you think it will then you know nothing about the spending habits of poor people.

feel free to respond to the actual point i made in which preferential treatment has been given to blacks in EVERY arena from government contracts, to hiring practices, to higher education, to scholarships and grants for 50 years.

what else other than stealing from people who committed no crime via taxation and giving to people who have more abundant opportunities than whites via the programs i outlined above should we do?

and as out lined above the programs i mentioned have been in service for 4-5 generations. how many more generations of unequal opportunity and favoritism must we engage in before we wipe the slate clean.

when people can go from poor to middle class in a single generation, it would stand to reason that we are nearing the end of our obligation if we have not come to that point already.

I have heard this line of reasoning before. That through affirmative action, reparations were paid in full. Here is a quote a remember:

"Blacks have a 375-year history on this continent: 245 involving slavery, 100 involving discrimination, and only 30 involving anything else.

Historian Roger Wilkins

There is quite a bit of myth surrounding the success since affirmative action took place. It is an on going effort and still a needed measure. We disagree on it being a like for like payment in regards to reparations to the "40 acres and a mule" promised by the Lincoln administration, only to be canceled.

Land is what the newly freed former slaves of the south wanted the most. I think that was a great idea and IF I did sit on that panel - would be where I would start.

+pablo

MagnumLoad
None of us control our ancestry. We can control what we do and say. Although Kellen appears to have an ancestry to be proud of.
88planoAg
AG
PabloSerna said:

I have heard this line of reasoning before. That through affirmative action, reparations were paid in full. Here is a quote a remember:

"Blacks have a 375-year history on this continent: 245 involving slavery, 100 involving discrimination, and only 30 involving anything else.

Historian Roger Wilkins

There is quite a bit of myth surrounding the success since affirmative action took place. It is an on going effort and still a needed measure. We disagree on it being a like for like payment in regards to reparations to the "40 acres and a mule" promised by the Lincoln administration, only to be canceled.

Land is what the newly freed former slaves of the south wanted the most. I think that was a great idea and IF I did sit on that panel - would be where I would start.

+pablo

Most specific idea you have given so far.

You are in support of giving land to a portion of our current population.

Who gets the land?

From whom is it taken?
Whens lunch
AG
PabloSerna said:

Ags4DaWin said:

PabloSerna said:

Ags4DaWin said:

PabloSerna said:

88planoAg said:

I think the answer to 'who pays', according to those who support reparations, is the American government, because there is "plenty of money we already spend on wars". You can see it already in his answers.

It is absurd. The people of all colors paying into the government now need to turn around and gift - who, exactly? because of the sins of the past.

Taxes are everyone's $$. But taxes need to go to a specific portion of the American population to make things equitable because of ancestor sins.

Was it right for our government to make promises and then break them? Apparently not. A recent SCOTUS decision started of with this by Justice Gorsuch,

"On the far end of the Trail of Tears was a promise. Forced to leave their ancestral lands in Georgia and Alabama, the Creek Nation received assurances that their new lands in the West would be secure forever."

I contend that we made promises to former slaves and we canceled them the very next term. That was not right to do and we should right that wrong.

+pablo

show me the recently freed slaves and i will start a gofundme. the truth is for the past 50 years- that's 4-5 generations abundant opportunities have been given to blacks as a group that whites as a group did not see. some took advantage and have become prosperous. some did not.

+pablo

regardless, cutting a check by taxing white people who had nothing to do with slavery will do nothing long term for the black community and is illegal, immoral, and unjust. if you think it will then you know nothing about the spending habits of poor people.

feel free to respond to the actual point i made in which preferential treatment has been given to blacks in EVERY arena from government contracts, to hiring practices, to higher education, to scholarships and grants for 50 years.

what else other than stealing from people who committed no crime via taxation and giving to people who have more abundant opportunities than whites via the programs i outlined above should we do?

and as out lined above the programs i mentioned have been in service for 4-5 generations. how many more generations of unequal opportunity and favoritism must we engage in before we wipe the slate clean.

when people can go from poor to middle class in a single generation, it would stand to reason that we are nearing the end of our obligation if we have not come to that point already.

Historian Roger Wilkins

+pablo

While I don't believe in paying for someone else's sins, any freed former slaves of the South can have their 40 acres. Hell, I'll give them 4000. Have them get in line. Lots of smart people here. Somebody get the contracts ready for them to sign.
Not when I'm done with it.
unmade bed
Not sure why this awesome thread got turned into a reparations discussions, but if black people need reparations for anything, it would be from the liberal policies that have disproportionately decimated the black community (abortion, public school system, public housing/section 8 housing assistance, incentivizing poor decisions, etc).

So forgive the posters on this board if they aren't receptive to the suggestion that yet another liberal policy will solve anything.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Using coach pop as a reason to do anything is beyond ridiculous. That guy is a complete buffoon.

Reparations are a non-starter. Through my research in Ancestry.com, I found one man who was reported to have owned slaves. No other details were available, as to how many slaves the guy owned, what ultimately happened, or even an explanation for the relatively short duration of his life (roughly 30 years). He died more than 100 years prior to my birth. Exactly why I would "owe" anyone reparations for something that happened prior to even my grandparents being alive is one of the most asinine thoughts I've ever seen.
rbtexan
S
Quote:

Good Lord at the lack of historical perspective.

At the time of the Civil War, there were a total of 34 states. Open, unclaimed land was something there was plenty of in the 1860s (although the Native Americans have a substantial argument to the contrary).

Where, pray tell, will these 40 acres come from? From me? Not a chance. Do you think the U.S. government is going to be able to confiscate property owned by citizens, in some cases for generations, in some sort of idiotic imminent domain land grab, just to turn around and give it to another group of people? Are you so obtuse that you can't recognize that this is precisely the type of thing that starts bullets flying?

The mentality you have expressed is precisely what NEVER needs to be on any panel such as the one you are proposing.
Jimbo Franchione
Ags4DaWin
PabloSerna said:

Ags4DaWin said:

PabloSerna said:

Ags4DaWin said:

PabloSerna said:

88planoAg said:

+pablo

+pablo

Historian Roger Wilkins

+pablo

You are becoming more and more disingenuous with every response.

You completely ignore the FACT via the Bureau of Labor Statistics that if you graduate high school, get a job, wait until you have kids to get married you can jump to the middle class within one generation.

ONE.

This means that a black person can be as prosperous and successful as the average white person no matter what his background is, no matter whether is great great great grandad was a slave, no matter whether his great grandfather did not get to participate in the GI bill, no matter whether his grandfather was not allowed to vote until the 1960's.

If this individual is MARGINALLY responsible, regardless of the experiences of his grandfather he can be AS SUCCESSFUL as the average white person.

ONE GENERATION.

So given that, we have given preferential treatment to blacks who own businesses, to blacks in higher education the two greatest avenues to the UPPER CLASS. This has been going on in various forms for 50 years.

Half a century, when it takes a mere 20 years for someone who is marginally motivated to jump from poor to middle class.

You HAVE NOT addressed the illegality and immorality of stealing from people who did not profit nor participate in slavery and giving to people who were not slaves, nor if they should choose to take a modicum of personal responsibility be able to be just as well off as the average white person.

If you cannot address this, then your argument is immoral, unjust, and invalid.

PERIOD.
DallasAg 94
rocky the dog
AG
"Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

- Jesus Christ, The Beatitudes, Sermon on the Mount

Reparations have been made. The rewards are not of this earth.

End of story.
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Pablo,

It's like arguing "I don't have all the answers to how we could institute nazism, but let's get the ball rolling on the discussion."

The concept itself is immoral.

Asking ethnic groups to pay money to ethnic groups for the actions of people who lived 150 years ago. It's immoral.

The only way to move is forward.
aggie appraiser
Thread derail complete. Take this mess someplace else.

[All further reparations posts in this thread will be deleted. Start a reparations thread if you would like. - staff]
Charpie
AG
Thanks Staff.

Later today, Pablo and I are gonna have a discussion.
amfta
AG
On a anohter note;

I thought it was really interesting to hear Monds confederate relatives reasoning for serving the confederacy. It lends historical credance, it's clearly from those that WERE there and knowledgable of the all the issues at the time which they felt were causes for the war. One side initially claimed it was fo preserve the Union then additionally added and claimed it was a Civil War to abolish slavery while, the other side consistently labeled it the War of Northern Aggression.

We all know the differences of opinion, that's been debated for over a century but Monds relatives were there living and breathing the air and issues of that time and the words spoken by them and claimed as their reasoning provide insight and historical credance to what many still say and point to. With that said, why is that perspective so totally damning ? It clearly was on the minds of the people that were there and they were justified in having those positions. History shows us that and this is yet another History lesson. As the old saying goes history is ultimately and often written by the winner but; just looking at history like that is not being being truly diligent to the study of history, it's never as simple as looking at one side. It is also not prudent in gaining historical perspective.

His relative of the day quoted State's Rights and protection against Northern Agressors and the threats made by the North, plus more.... as someone that had no slaves, slavery was not even mentioned by him in his reasoning, he had credible reasons to fight for the confederacy in his mind via his understanding of the issues from his particular perspective.

As is the case in all things History, if one digs deep enough, they will always learn that a huge part of those involved in it, like Monds relatives, Sully, all the other generals and soldiers on both sides etc... were just members of the masses. They were the useful fodder of their time and were not the ones to blame for the injustices that created a war, they were the players and the puppets.

The true instigators of all that occurred and eventually created the Civil War were the corrupt leaders and the greedy power hungry manipulators behind the scenes pulling the political strings. That generally has always been the case and it has always been the true enemy of the masses. It would be good for all of us involved in the current fiasco our country is going through, including Mond and his group, to learn and understand that.

"We The People" need to learn to stop being duped by flawed political movements and the corruption behind honestly all of it. The polictical parties, political movements, heck even politicians are evil and self serving by nature. "We The People" need to come together demand true representation as we did in our beginning as a nation. Representation from among us affiliated and beholden to no one but the Constituency of people they represent whether is federal, state, district county city etc....

We do not need nor should ever want professional politicians, that's idiocy to want that, and accept it, as we do. We should rather demand true volunteers from among us to go and take a turn at representing us, then come home to allow someone else to take their turn for the next term and repeat. That's government by the people and for the people as described in our Constitution. What is not government for the people and by the peuple is being told by a bunch of politically motivated organizations, here are the choices we determined to provide you, vote for one of these.

How's that been working out for us ? .

"Politicians and Diapers need to be changed often, for the same reason." - Mark Twain
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
42 years of Biden enough ?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
amfta
AG
Charpie said:

What am I? Chopped carne asada?
Spit beer all over my laptop and, now jones'n for a good plate of carne asada.
Haileno40
PabloSerna said:

TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

If you believe in the concept of reparations, that defines with crystal clarity your naivete and blind bias.
How so?

Do you think that the wealth that was created by slave owning families was right? You say I am naive, I challenge you to read for yourself the truth and draw your own conclusions. I have and that is not being naive.

+pablo

There is no way of knowing whose wealth or what wealth may have been derived from African slavery, indentured servitude, or any of the other worldwide examples of slavery past or present.

Every time an American buys low cost textiles from Asia they are very likely benefitting from actual slavery or slave like conditions. Shall we begin reparations for the millions enslaved in Chinese factories?

Also - no I do not think economic profit from slavery was right or moral. And everyone who is concerned about it should take a close look at the supply chains of the goods they buy.
Bear with me for a minute.

I am grateful for the friendships I have with several close friends who are black. One friend in particular, over the course of 30 years, though various conversations (lunches, fishing trips, camping, et.) has help me see something I never did before.

I will point to a particular discussion we were having about segregation:

He tells me of a time when he was young and visiting his family in Mississippi. He and his brother wanted to go swimming at nearby public pool. It was in a predominantly white neighborhood. His grandmother asked him NOT to go. "Why not?" he asked her. Because that was the pool for the "white folks" - that he and his brother needed to go a different pool. "No grandma - we're going, this isn't 1950's." - something to that effect. He then tells me how his grandmother began to cry and beg him to not go - because he could be beaten or worse.

I was stunned. This was probably not even the case in the 1980's when this happened - but to his grandmother it might as well have been 1950. She was genuinely terrified for his safety. That is when I realized - I have no idea what black people went through.

It is a tragedy what happened. It doesn't need to stay that way. That's my point.

+pablo

When I lived in Chicago I was told by my black roommate he couldn't take me to this barbecue joint three minutes from our house because I would get shot.

Edit: this was in 2009 and he was seriously terrified for my life if I was out alone past a certain time going anywhere.
zooguy96
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
HalifaxAg
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

Anyone can rise out of poverty no matter who they are here in America. It is the great thing about America, and it doesn't happen anywhere else.

My 4 brothers and sisters and I all grew up in poverty. We are bi-racial. We lived in a tent for a year and a warehouse for a year. We came from nothing.

We all worked our way through A&M with loans and jobs (I worked full time). We received zero parental assistance and minimal grants (some scholarships depending on who it was).

We have 8 degrees between all of us (all at least a BS/BA), and are minimum of middle class - no one lives in poverty any longer.

America is about the ONLY country who uses their power for the good of other countries. We liberated Europe twice. We are moving towards being like other countries.

I'd rather not go there.

Please allow me to add to your great story this meme...

Congratulations to you and your siblings.
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Meximan
I think the question we all missed is, "The F### was the Confederacy doing with a Mexican general?!"
TAMU1990
AG
PabloSerna said:

I responded to this previously that I am in agreement with you and others, like Coach Popovich, that "we have to get to the reparations discussion" in order to move forward from here.

If what you write is genuine, then I am with you - we as a country need to put together a committee of experts to include economist, historians, etc. and get the ball rolling.

+pablo

This is just so dumb. So many scenarios to where people aren't in this equation:

1) Immigrants/American citizens with family lineage that starts in America after 1860
2) Illegals
3) 98% of families in 1860 didn't own slaves
4) Adopted or orphaned citizens
5) People here on visas
6) Successful black Americans
7) Wealthy people who fall out of favor with their families and get cut off

And on and on. So exactly WHY would any of these people have to pay a dime?
LightningDammitt
AG
PabloSerna said:

TAMU1990 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ag87H2O said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

I'm understanding things happen in history....

I'm just floored that our quarterback social justice warrior who is tearing this school apart is actually part of a family that did much worse than the statue he wants to tear down.

And.... his family was friends with Ross
Its a heck of a boomerang isn't it? Sprinkled with irony and dipped in karma.

It's all time ironic. Just an unbelievable coincidence.

Unfortunately it won't be reported by any news outlets.
I'm sure if Clay Travis, Saturday Down South, Barstool, etc found out they would

I am missing something here and I don't want to assume - can you clarify:

Does the fact that someone has a connection to slavery (in Mond's case on the Confederate side) discredit the truth they speak?

It a real question.

+pablo

Do you think that the Mond families wealth, which was partially gained off the backs of slaves is right?

Hypocrisy is a great boomerang... just sayin'...
LightningDammitt
AG
PabloSerna said:

TxAg82 said:

PabloSerna said:

rbtexan said:

If you believe in the concept of reparations, that defines with crystal clarity your naivete and blind bias.
How so?

Do you think that the wealth that was created by slave owning families was right? You say I am naive, I challenge you to read for yourself the truth and draw your own conclusions. I have and that is not being naive.

+pablo

There is no way of knowing whose wealth or what wealth may have been derived from African slavery, indentured servitude, or any of the other worldwide examples of slavery past or present.

Every time an American buys low cost textiles from Asia they are very likely benefitting from actual slavery or slave like conditions. Shall we begin reparations for the millions enslaved in Chinese factories?

Also - no I do not think economic profit from slavery was right or moral. And everyone who is concerned about it should take a close look at the supply chains of the goods they buy.
Bear with me for a minute.

I am grateful for the friendships I have with several close friends who are black. One friend in particular, over the course of 30 years, though various conversations (lunches, fishing trips, camping, et.) has help me see something I never did before.

I will point to a particular discussion we were having about segregation:

He tells me of a time when he was young and visiting his family in Mississippi. He and his brother wanted to go swimming at nearby public pool. It was in a predominantly white neighborhood. His grandmother asked him NOT to go. "Why not?" he asked her. Because that was the pool for the "white folks" - that he and his brother needed to go a different pool. "No grandma - we're going, this isn't 1950's." - something to that effect. He then tells me how his grandmother began to cry and beg him to not go - because he could be beaten or worse.

I was stunned. This was probably not even the case in the 1980's when this happened - but to his grandmother it might as well have been 1950. She was genuinely terrified for his safety. That is when I realized - I have no idea what black people went through.

It is a tragedy what happened. It doesn't need to stay that way. That's my point.

+pablo

Why is BLM and 99% of those on your side of the discussion clamoring for renewed segregation... if, in your minds, segregation is so bad?

To clarify, I am opposed to segregation.
LightningDammitt
AG
PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

Reparations literally does nothing to fix that.
There was a time just after the Civil War when the idea of a reparation would have made a difference. 40 acres and a mule were promised - that was canceled the very next administration. I think we (I want to emphasize WE) as a country need to discuss this and fit it into the budget. As I have pointed out before - we blew trillions of dollars on a recent war. I think we can do something.

+pablo

The definition of reparations require that the benefactors of wealth gained by slave owners pay the slaves, and/or their families. Less than 2% of the population at the time owned slaves, and they are now dead. In addition, as cited before, that wealth has been eliminated.

By definition, "We" cannot make amends by way of reparations.
LightningDammitt
AG
PabloSerna said:

Tanya 93 said:

PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

Reparations literally does nothing to fix that.
There was a time just after the Civil War when the idea of a reparation would have made a difference. 40 acres and a mule were promised - that was canceled the very next administration. I think we (I want to emphasize WE) as a country need to discuss this and fit it into the budget. As I have pointed out before - we blew trillions of dollars on a recent war. I think we can do something.

+pablo

No we don't.

These people have never been slaves.

My family didn't have slaves. And I am not responsible for that even in they did

I am responsible for the actions I take in this life.
And I do a hell of a lot to help people of all races.

I don't need to prove anything by supporting reparations for people who haven't earned it.

So you can do all you can with your bank account to cover reparations/

I am going to teach kids how to write essays, how to interview, and how to take the ACT/SAT.

Something that is actual and real.

Have a good day lecturing us on how difficult it is to be black.
Tanya,

I am merely sharing my perspective. That's all.

+pablo

You are merely playing the victim card... the virtuous card... the race card... and the pious card... are you going for a full house?
Kozmozag
slave owners took a huge financial hit when there property was taken by the government without compensation. Many never recovered financially.
Clob94
So I guess my kellen Mond thread got nuked.

BTW--- why isn't he protesting an entire School campus in Laredo named after his slave hunter great great uncle. Ya--- benavidas elementary school in Laredo is named after the dude.

Not a peep from kellen.
TxTarpon
"Don't get above your raisin'".
-Ricky Skaggs
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Daddy
AG
PabloSerna said:

TAMU1990 said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

Ag87H2O said:

BallerStaf2003 said:

I'm understanding things happen in history....

I'm just floored that our quarterback social justice warrior who is tearing this school apart is actually part of a family that did much worse than the statue he wants to tear down.

And.... his family was friends with Ross
Its a heck of a boomerang isn't it? Sprinkled with irony and dipped in karma.

It's all time ironic. Just an unbelievable coincidence.

Unfortunately it won't be reported by any news outlets.
I'm sure if Clay Travis, Saturday Down South, Barstool, etc found out they would

I am missing something here and I don't want to assume - can you clarify:

Does the fact that someone has a connection to slavery (in Mond's case on the Confederate side) discredit the truth they speak?

It a real question.

+pablo

Yes

Something about specs and planks in the eye jesus spoke about
Daddy
AG
NicosMachine said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Who has praised Mond except for rabid leftists?
Word is that even many of his teammates are cool on him. He is not a uniting figure in the locker room any more than he is on campus.

Probably because he can't hit the side of a barn. Qd and rogers got undrafted because of it
Burdizzo
AG
TxTarpon said:

"Don't get above your raisin'".
-Ricky Skaggs

I never understood that song about dried grapes.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Why is BLM and 99% of those on your side of the discussion clamoring for renewed segregation... if, in your minds, segregation is so bad?

To clarify, I am opposed to segregation.

Separate but not equal is only bad when your side is the one getting the shaft. When your side has advantages and is getting all the perks, segregation is highly desirable.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.