Kellen Mond's Ancestors Served In Confederate Army

147,581 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigRobSA
Harry Stone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Quote:

as a society we must acknowledge what was done in the past and how a legacy of hate and racism is hurting our fellow African American citizens today

Clown post. Slavery and racial wrongs have been MORE than acknowledged and addressed ad infinitum. Also, as a Texan-American who happens to be black, I'm not "hurt" at all by the sins of ancestors (mine or yours). I control my own life. Any minority American has the opportunity to do the same. A mixed QB1 (NTTAWWT, as my own kids are mixed) leading a misguided charge to pull down a freaking statue does absolutely NOTHING to address or improve anything regarding race relations. In fact, one could say it's had the opposite effect.

so awesome!
Jaxson11
AG
Spot on.
rbtexan
S
So I have a semi-related question regarding the idea of "reparations".

I've looked up my family roots (immigrated to the US the mid-1880s, never slave owners...so there's that). My ancestors were primarily from Northwest Europe & Great Britain (areas inhabited by Gauls, or Celts, depending on who you ask - "celtic" has been jokingly defined as 'anyone who claims to be'). Based on Julias Caesar's own writings about the Gallic Wars, the Romans took as many as 3 million Gauls back to Rome as slaves. So does Italy owe me reparations?

I'm being intentionally flippant to make the point that when you start going down that road, it becomes a slippery slope in a big hurry - especially when you're discussing transgressions that personally affected no living person on the planet.

Here are the reparations I offer. As I have all my life, I will look at all people with an attitude of color blindness. I'll treat others in a way that I would hope they will reciprocate. I'll call out racism - TRUE racism - when I see it perpetrated against blacks, asians, hispanics, native americans, and yes even caucasians. I'll refrain from making blanket assumptions about any group of people because of their race or religious beliefs. I'll be as fair with the people I share this planet with as I can be, asking only the same fairness in return.

That's equality as I see it.
Jimbo Franchione
Tanya 93
Lester Freamon said:

GD Tanya yes. This exactly.
Thank you
NicosMachine
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Pease said:

This is a racist diatribe. Second paragraph and Farias is writing about Mond's athletic genes!? Go ahead and critique the man if you must, but attacking Mond because of the actions of his ancestors is a particularly cruel ad hominum attack; since when is a person responsible for the sins of their ancestors? Imagine protesting at the homes of Ross's descendants? Dragging someones grandmother into the argument? This is doxing at its worst.

Wait, how is the bolded portion racist?

The person who wrote the letter is related to Mond you moron. They share the same lineage through the Benavides line. You don't think he went out and researched Mond's geneology for fun do you? He had everything at his fingertips because it's his family too. I know, because it's my family too.
AGinHI
AG
blindey said:

AGinHI said:

Descendant of poor Italian immigrants checking in.

Wish my family had some of that Mond privilege.
look into your lineage. If you can trace through all paternal line (or some other ways, kinda depends) you may be entitled to Italian citizenship. My paternal grandfather was born here before my paternal great grandfather got naturalized so all I have to do is prove up the lineage and I get citizenship.
Is that for real?

My great grandparents were the immigrants as well.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
ProgN
I think you meant this post for Pease.
NicosMachine
AG
Prognightmare said:

I think you meant this post for Pease.

True.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Pease said:

This is a racist diatribe. Second paragraph and Farias is writing about Mond's athletic genes!? Go ahead and critique the man if you must, but attacking Mond because of the actions of his ancestors is a particularly cruel ad hominum attack; since when is a person responsible for the sins of their ancestors? Imagine protesting at the homes of Ross's descendants? Dragging someones grandmother into the argument? This is doxing at its worst.

Oh c'mon, surely you know that old racist chestnut about the athletic prowess of Mexicans. That's why they're ubiquitous at all levels of professional sports.
I wouldn't know about Mexicans. But my all-time favorite athlete is Argentinian, so...

....ok, I don't know where I was going with that. But I love me some MG20.
CT75
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

My god, talk about a walking, talking indictment of the education system in this country.
....and the sad part is that it is too far gone to fix IMO. It will only get worse in most places.
bonfarr
AG
Well then I suppose when the time comes for reparations to be paid Mond's family should be the first to get out their checkbooks.
Tanya 93
tbirdspur2010 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Pease said:

Oh c'mon, surely you know that old racist chestnut about the athletic prowess of Mexicans. That's why they're ubiquitous at all levels of professional sports.
I wouldn't know about Mexicans. But my all-time favorite athlete is Argentinian, so...

Ginobli or Messi?
30wedge
Pease said:

Tanya 93 said:

Pease said:

So why does BLM demand reparations for slavery?
I predicted this would be among the first comments. No person alive is responsible for the sin of slavery, but as a society we must acknowledge what was done in the past and how a legacy of hate and racism is hurting our fellow African American citizens today. We do not blame individuals but we as a nation have a societal responsibility. That is what BLM demands.

Read this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

African Americans? lol. BLM, and those clamoring for reparations, are using racism, hatred, etc. as an excuse. Either an excuse for their lack of accomplishment, or an excuse to get paid. To further shake down people to get something they don't deserve.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Tanya 93 said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Pease said:

Ginobli or Messi?
Yes, my username checks out:

Tanya 93
tbirdspur2010 said:

Tanya 93 said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Pease said:

Ginobli or Messi?

Thought maybe you were an unknown soccer fan

I love Messi
KPAG
KPAG
FriscoKid
AG
tremble said:

Amazing thread.

Yes it is!
aggietony2010
AG
It's similar for Ireland. I thought about becoming a citizen so I could vote against the liberal virus there too, but you have to have residency as well.
FriscoKid
AG
And the point is that the statue of Kellen Mond in the pocket should not be torn down either. You can't judge civil war era actions using 2020 logic.

This is His Story.
Ranch Dressing
AG
It will get worse if good men and women do nothing
GE
AG
UniqueIGN said:

DTP02 said:

UniqueIGN said:

Yall are absolutely crazy omg. Anti-Racist means exactly that being anti racist. Having ancestors who were bad people doesnt mean you cant be anti-racist. Y'all have created this giant narrative in your heads that doesn't even exist in the real world.

I will type more slowly for you this time. Try harder to keep up. And leave the childish omg's on the playground with the rest of the kids.

"If you aren't anti-racist, you're racist." That's what Kellen said and it's the current dogma for the "movement." What it means is that you have to call out and attack all examples of racism all the time, or you're racist.

Applying the standards that Kellen and his influencers would apply ( not standards I would want applied, mind you), Kellen is racist for not disavowing his ancestors, calling for the removal of any honoring or recognition of them, and abjectly apologizing for their sins.

That is the inevitable, logical requirement of the view he espoused.

Being antiracist doesnt mean always going out of your way to find racist acts to call out, it means calling out racist acts that you see. Furthermore that logic doesnt follow at all when this thread was made *last night* and this isn't even confirmed to be true. You cant say someone is going against their logic before they even have a chance to respond to it. It's crazy that y'all still believe that we think everyone should apologize for what their ancestors did and should feel guilty for it.
What source do you have for that use of anti-racist? Just because you might be using it that way doesn't mean that's what it usually means.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AGinHI said:

blindey said:

AGinHI said:

Descendant of poor Italian immigrants checking in.

Wish my family had some of that Mond privilege.
look into your lineage. If you can trace through all paternal line (or some other ways, kinda depends) you may be entitled to Italian citizenship. My paternal grandfather was born here before my paternal great grandfather got naturalized so all I have to do is prove up the lineage and I get citizenship.
Is that for real?

My great grandparents were the immigrants as well.
Yes but timing is critical as Italian law changed through history. Mine happens to be pretty clean and easy because I can trace through all paternal line and it is clear that grandfather was born before great grandfather was naturalized thus Italian citizenship has passed through to me and my kids.

If your great grandparents immigrated and then had your paternal grandfather before becoming US citizens, you have a shot. It changes when you start tracing through maternal lines because Italy didn't decide that women are people until 1948.
ProgN
UniqueIGN said:

Here's the thing, he most likely has absolutely no ability to change any schools or monuments that are named after his ancestors because there have been several generations since then and several splits of the family. It makes the most sense to fight where you actually have a voice, and that's at Texas A&M as the quartback for the football team. If people want to change the world where we live in, it makes the most sense to divert your efforts to where you could get the most done.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Messi is awesome.
hairloom
tbirdspur2010 said:

Quote:

as a society we must acknowledge what was done in the past and how a legacy of hate and racism is hurting our fellow African American citizens today

Clown post. Slavery and racial wrongs have been MORE than acknowledged and addressed ad infinitum. Also, as a Texan-American who happens to be black, I'm not "hurt" at all by the sins of ancestors (mine or yours). I control my own life. Any minority American has the opportunity to do the same. A mixed QB1 (NTTAWWT, as my own kids are mixed) leading a misguided charge to pull down a freaking statue does absolutely NOTHING to address or improve anything regarding race relations. In fact, one could say it's had the opposite effect.
Thank God for tbird and his fellow compadres that shout down the garbage, racist, white liberals!!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Do you have any links to research that?

My paternal great-grandfather was born in 1910, first of his family born in the USA.
Pelayo
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Messi is awesome.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brutal Puffin
AG
agent-maroon said:

Y'all are all lucky. One of my ancestors just showed up in Texas on a census around 1900 or so. He had a very common surname, but no birth record or any census info from anywhere else that could be found. We're pretty sure he was running from something but we have no idea if it was criminal and/or abandoning a family or what. My ancestor did something and we don't even know who we need to apologize to or just exactly how we should feel guilty about it.
Well, he came to Texas for a second chance, which is what so much of our great state's history is about. All the people that fought for Texas independence - Houston, Travis, Bowie, Crockett, etc etc etc - why did they come to Texas? For a second chance.
BenFiasco14
AG
UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

You don't understand...we are talking the founding fathers of cities (Plural) in south Texas. It's not gonna happen.

So yeah it's hypocritical.

Doesn't change anything for you. You've got no skin in the game. Not your family tree.

It literally isn't hypocritical to have ancestry with confederate soldiers and to argue against having statues of confederate soldiers. Your ancestors don't dictate what you can fight for. It's only hypocritical if you dont want to get rid of your ancestors statues who did horrible things and want to get rid of all others.

Maybe he should bring down the buildings/statues/parks/etc named for his confederate family first.

If this is actually true, and that's a big if, then it doesn't matter what he tries to bring down first as long as he doesn't support either of them. The one where he has the most say in right now is the Sully statue since he's the quarterback at the university where it's a problem. It makes sense to fight most for the things you have the most say in, and the places where you can make the biggest impact

All power to him as I presume he will journey to erase honors his ancestors collected.

To answer your question, he is asking others to live up to a standard and position that he hasn't addressed within his family. A lot of people were harmed by his ancestors and still are made uncomfortable living and seeing the name honored where they work and live. It seems appropriate for Kellen to use his power as a family member to have those things scrubbed from the society we currently live in before asking others to do something he has not address personally with family to accomplish.

Here's the thing, he most likely has absolutely no ability to change any schools or monuments that are named after his ancestors because there have been several generations since then and several splits of the family. It makes the most sense to fight where you actually have a voice, and that's at Texas A&M as the quartback for the football team. If people want to change the world where we live in, it makes the most sense to divert your efforts to where you could get the most done.

Nice of you to join us Isiah! How's it going? See any racist notes lately?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
ProgN
BenFiasco14 said:

UniqueIGN said:

Gap said:

UniqueIGN said:

aggie appraiser said:

UniqueIGN said:

FunkyKO said:

You don't understand...we are talking the founding fathers of cities (Plural) in south Texas. It's not gonna happen.

So yeah it's hypocritical.

Doesn't change anything for you. You've got no skin in the game. Not your family tree.

It literally isn't hypocritical to have ancestry with confederate soldiers and to argue against having statues of confederate soldiers. Your ancestors don't dictate what you can fight for. It's only hypocritical if you dont want to get rid of your ancestors statues who did horrible things and want to get rid of all others.

Maybe he should bring down the buildings/statues/parks/etc named for his confederate family first.

If this is actually true, and that's a big if, then it doesn't matter what he tries to bring down first as long as he doesn't support either of them. The one where he has the most say in right now is the Sully statue since he's the quarterback at the university where it's a problem. It makes sense to fight most for the things you have the most say in, and the places where you can make the biggest impact

All power to him as I presume he will journey to erase honors his ancestors collected.

To answer your question, he is asking others to live up to a standard and position that he hasn't addressed within his family. A lot of people were harmed by his ancestors and still are made uncomfortable living and seeing the name honored where they work and live. It seems appropriate for Kellen to use his power as a family member to have those things scrubbed from the society we currently live in before asking others to do something he has not address personally with family to accomplish.

Nice of you to join us Isiah! How's it going? See any racist notes lately?
dermdoc
AG
Why do white woke libs think they are the only ones who can define racism?

I think I will stick with our own third spur. Who by the way is actually black. Or Herschel Walker. Or Thomas Sowell. Or Clarence Thomas.

This is not actually about race anymore(and yes we as a nation have to get better). It is about liberalism. And Marxism. And destruction of the US as we know it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
https://italiancitizenshipassistance.com/eligibility-quiz-for-italian-dual-citizenship/

That is a consulting service so they are trying to sell what they do, but a good amount of googling should put you on the right track to tell whether the dates are right. Just so happened that it was really easy to find out that mine are all perfect. Freebie EU passport in case me or my kids ever need it might come in handy.
oldarmy1
AG
Tear down Kellen......wait, what
West Texan
AG
tbirdspur2010 said:

Tanya 93 said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

tbirdspur2010 said:

Pease said:

Ginobli or Messi?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.