***2022 RPI Tracker***

137,071 Views | 885 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RED AG 98
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yes, it's over. A&M is a top 8 seed
W
AG
and the focus shifts to who will be the #2 seed in College Station.

would like to see a mid-major instead of a Big 12 or Pac-12 team...and there are a couple of mid-candidates close by
EMY92
AG
W said:

so we're going to have an 18-12 SEC team --- not host a regional
Pigs have done everything possible to work their way out of hosting.

Since arriving in CS to play the Ags, they've gone 8-11. Their longest winning streak is 2 games, they did that once.
Sq 17
AggieKeith15 said:

In RPI rankings Southern Miss is down to 15 and Louisville is down to 17. Both have fallen out of top 8 hosting spots.

Seven of the top eight hosts appear to be:

3 Virginia Tech

6 Miami
7 Notre Dame

The last spot will likely go to one of the following teams:
Sips (RPI 10)
Texas A&M ( RPI 18)
Oklahoma State (RPI 22)

Just don't see any conference getting 3 national seeds And I think southern missshould be on the list instead of okie lite
Fat Black Swan
AG
Kendall is very confident in the Ags national seed chances.

Quote:

A&M's RPI continues to creep up, moving up to 16 after the win over the Crimson Tide. But don't fret Aggies fans, that top eight seed is signed, sealed, and delivered. A&M will be a top eight, protected seed. With the win, the Aggies now have 11 wins vs. RPI Top 25 teams to go with 17 wins vs. RPI Top 50 teams. Those 17 wins ranks second nationally. The only team ahead of the Aggies? Tennessee, which also is 2-0 at the SEC tournament.
threeanout
AG
There are going to be some two seeds hitting the road with hosts being located in Oregon, California, Indiana and Maryland. Gonzaga may be a two seed and could head to Stanford, but if Oregon (Ducks) is a two seed they won't be close to home. Could they end up in CS? Geographically, OU, DBU and Texas State are possibilities.
Mr. Bergstrom
AG
Quote:

Just don't see any conference getting 3 national seeds.

Do you mean this year or ever? Because it's happened before.
I want to say there was a year both the SEC and ACC had 3 national seeds.
gougler08
AG
If we lose today we are back to RPI if 20 or so? I really hope you guys are right but that just feels like the reason the committee needs to spread a super host away from the SEC for "parity"
MaroonStain
AG
All of our metrics to date will not diminish due to SEC tourney loss. We good, all good!
aginlakeway
AG
gougler08 said:

If we lose today we are back to RPI if 20 or so? I really hope you guys are right but that just feels like the reason the committee needs to spread a super host away from the SEC for "parity"

Everyone says we're a NS. Not just guys on TexAgs. They're not all wrong.
Sq 17
This year in particular
The PAC and the SEC look like 2 national seed leagues
I think they will want to limit the ACC to 2 also leaving one for the B1G and one for everybody else to fight over

W
AG
the committee almost always drops a Pac-12 team in Texas.

they don't want the west coast teams to travel all the way to the east coast.

A&M or t.u. should get one
t - cam
AG
aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

They were literally all wrong about basketball. Virtually every expert.
PhatMack19
AG
It's not even a question anymore. We will be 5 or 6
hunter2012
AG
aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

None of them are Aggies either, they don't have our experience with impartial playoff committees.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
W said:

the committee almost always drops a Pac-12 team in Texas.

they don't want the west coast teams to travel all the way to the east coast.

A&M or t.u. should get one

Hopefully the sips get UCLA as a 3 and LSU as a 2
t - cam
AG
hunter2012 said:

aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

None of them are Aggies either, they don't have our experience with impartial playoff committees.

Actually Kendall is.
hunter2012
AG
t - cam said:

hunter2012 said:

aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

Actually Kendall is.
Yeah but he's a baseball nut I don't think he knows what football and basketball is.
aginlakeway
AG
t - cam said:

aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

They weren't all wrong about basketball. And unsure how this relates to baseball. Or softball.
aginlakeway
AG
PhatMack19 said:

It's not even a question anymore. We will be 5 or 6

Yep. Unsure why the concern. Unless just for the sake of needing something to be concerned about.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Guys on tv last night were speculating how high we could go. If we win the tournament, they thought 3 was in our pay, did I hear that right?
t - cam
AG
aginlakeway said:

t - cam said:

aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

They weren't all wrong about basketball. And unsure how this relates to baseball. Or softball.

7 of 212 experts were right in basketball. It relates because we have been screwed before. When it comes down to a committee we get the short end. I get peoples nerves.
aginlakeway
AG
t - cam said:

aginlakeway said:

t - cam said:

aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

7 of 212 experts were right in basketball. It relates because we have been screwed before. When it comes down to a committee we get the short end. I get peoples nerves.

Conflicting statements in bold.

Agree to disagree. I have zero concerns about this.
The Debt
t - cam said:

aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

College baseball is very dependent on conference tourneys. More so than basketball.

But more than that, the Sec is the best conference in baseball. Are you arguing they are only going to take the vols as top 8? If not, which sec team do you put over the Ags? It cant be based on conference record, like aub (rpi 6). It cant be based on tourney record (ark).

We are objectively ticking every box
jg07
AG
There's also a difference between determining the best teams and which ones will be the last one in/out. There's more of a delineation for the top baseball seeds than there was for who was last in/out in the basketball. When you're the last in you have to worry about surprises in the smaller conference tournaments taking away a spot.

We got screwed in basketball, but nobody outside of us and a few people cared because it was a last in situation. It was easy to screw us and move on.

The only thing that could screw from a top seed this year in baseball would be Eric Hyman and he's thankfully not on the committee this year.
W
AG
Louisville (38-18) will be an interesting case.

the Cardinals had a great regular season --- 1st place finish in the Atlantic with an 18-11 conference record.

but an 0-2 tournament has dropped them to #20 RPI...while North Carolina and Notre Dame are surging up the RPI top 10 with late runs.

the committee should protect UL and slot them right around the top 8 cut line. Louisville won the head-to-head series vs. both UNC and ND
W
AG
for reference last year...

the Lubbock regional got UCLA as its 2-seed.

the Fort Worth regional got Oregon State as its 2-seed.

the Austin regional got Arizona State as its 2-seed.

so it's a very strong possibility of a Pac-12 team in College Station or Austin or both
SchizoAg
AG
jg07 said:

There's also a difference between determining the best teams and which ones will be the last one in/out. There's more of a delineation for the top baseball seeds than there was for who was last in/out in the basketball. When you're the last in you have to worry about surprises in the smaller conference tournaments taking away a spot.

We got screwed in basketball, but nobody outside of us and a few people cared because it was a last in situation. It was easy to screw us and move on.

The only thing that could screw from a top seed this year in baseball would be Eric Hyman and he's thankfully not on the committee this year.
You are underestimating the number of ways to be screwed. We were screwed out of a national seed one year because one of our starting pitchers got injured. The committee said that despite our resume, we weren't as good of a team any more without that pitcher.
jg07
AG
I remember that. Can't recall if that was the Hyman year or not. But I believe while we were playing well at the time we were not playing our best to finish the season. I also remember there being more competition for the teams under consideration with similar resumes to us.

This team is peaking at the right time while most of our competition for national seeds are not. Could they screw us? Sure. Most on the committee are academic political blowhards so anything is possible.

But this is the best I've felt about a national seed in a long time. Its becoming harder to come up with scenarios to keep us out.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Oh man…DBU has really crapped the bed down the stretch. Only 12-11-1 (.521) vs. Missouri Valley Conference teams this year. They did go 5-4 (.556) vs. the Big 12 this season, though. DBU was 0-1 (.000) vs. the SEC. Just sayin'…

So, by the transitive property of spots, one could objectively say the MVC was a stronger conference than the B12. It's just science.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
SchizoAg
AG
jg07 said:

I remember that. Can't recall if that was the Hyman year or not. But I believe while we were playing well at the time we were not playing our best to finish the season. I also remember there being more competition for the teams under consideration with similar resumes to us.

This team is peaking at the right time while most of our competition for national seeds are not. Could they screw us? Sure. Most on the committee are academic political blowhards so anything is possible.

But this is the best I've felt about a national seed in a long time. Its becoming harder to come up with scenarios to keep us out.
That was about 5 years before Hyman IIRC.
94chem
RPI at this point tis just a way to judge a team on the 5 games at the bottom of their schedule instead of their most important 50 games. It's embarrassing to think that people in charge of these things fall for such a simple math fallacy.
dermdoc
AG
The Debt said:

t - cam said:

aginlakeway said:

gougler08 said:

College baseball is very dependent on conference tourneys. More so than basketball.

But more than that, the Sec is the best conference in baseball. Are you arguing they are only going to take the vols as top 8? If not, which sec team do you put over the Ags? It cant be based on conference record, like aub (rpi 6). It cant be based on tourney record (ark).

We are objectively ticking every box
I am not convinced the committee depends that much on the tourneys except for teams playing their way in.

We shall see.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Debt
So what you're saying is we should win the tourney for the auto bid.
PhatMack19
AG
#25 ranked Grand Canyon down 8-0 and about to be eliminated. They won the WAC easily. Do they get in with an RPI of 47?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.