Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

141,890 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Flying Crowbar
aggielax48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's a couple that look pretty good.

Ratterwick Punch
Fish House Punch (Have to scale this up)
Baby Billy
AG
Ordered this on Monday. STOKED to try it with an old fashioned

SpiderDude
AG
I'm bout to go down the rabbit hole that is Tiki!!!

https://instagr.am/p/CAebJleMlww
Scotts Tot
AG
Funny coincidence...made a Mai Tai at home for the first time tonight. I'm somewhat of a cocktail beginner but my wife and I enjoy sampling our way through some iconic cocktails, so I tried this for something different. Followed the original recipe without extra fruit juices (only rum, orgeat, curaao, and lime with lime and mint garnish), and made a somewhat *******ized orgeat by steeping crushed almonds and some orange zest in simple for a few hours in the fridge, then straining.

This was probably the first authentic-ish Mai Tai I've had and wow, that's a great drink when made in the more purist form. I guess there's a temptation in the more kitschy tiki establishments to turn the Mai Tai into an excessively fruity and sweet punch-style cocktail, but that's really a shame because the flavors play beautifully together when it's made in the original style, which is essentially a rum sour. I was very impressed by the depth of flavor in this cocktail for the amount of ingredients in it.

Great stuff. One of, if not the, tastiest cocktails I've made in my limited home bartending career.
SpiderDude
AG
I completely agree! What people do to *******ize that drink is akin to throwing a bunch of extra juices into a margarita. It's simply not the same drink at that point! I haven't tried that method for making orgeat. I do make my own but use almond milk instead. I've seen that "steeped almond" method before tho. How To Drink on YouTube did it in one of his videos.
SpiderDude
AG
Here's that orgeat recipe if you're interested... what's nice about it is it can be made quickly in a pinch:

https://bevvy.co/articles/how-to-make-orgeat-syrup/887
Scotts Tot
AG
I'll try that next time, as it's clearly a lot easier and less time intensive. The steeping version is also kinda wasteful of a big batch of almonds if the same flavor can be derived by almond milk. I whipped up my ad hoc version with stuff I had on hand. We don't typically keep almond milk around, and I'll have to order some orange flower water next time.
HTownAg98
FlyFisher09 said:

Funny coincidence...made a Mai Tai at home for the first time tonight. I'm somewhat of a cocktail beginner but my wife and I enjoy sampling our way through some iconic cocktails, so I tried this for something different. Followed the original recipe without extra fruit juices (only rum, orgeat, curaao, and lime with lime and mint garnish), and made a somewhat *******ized orgeat by steeping crushed almonds and some orange zest in simple for a few hours in the fridge, then straining.

This was probably the first authentic-ish Mai Tai I've had and wow, that's a great drink when made in the more purist form. I guess there's a temptation in the more kitschy tiki establishments to turn the Mai Tai into an excessively fruity and sweet punch-style cocktail, but that's really a shame because the flavors play beautifully together when it's made in the original style, which is essentially a rum sour. I was very impressed by the depth of flavor in this cocktail for the amount of ingredients in it.

Great stuff. One of, if not the, tastiest cocktails I've made in my limited home bartending career.

You've hit the nail on the head. The original tiki drinks were some very nice and quaffable cocktails. The modern versions are just boozy syrup.
austinag1997
AG
tmas said:

Anyone got a good Sazerac recipe?

Long delayed response. I can tell you what I do after talking with the guys at Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel. I have modified somewhat to my taste:

The drnking glass:

Pour a bit of absinthe in the glass for an absinthe wash. Pour out any excess and place aside (I store in the freezer).

The carat (or mixing glass):

Mix 2 shots of rye (Thomas Handy if ya got it), 5 shakes of Peychauds bitters, approximately 1 tbsp of super sweet simple syrup, and some ice. Stir vigorously. Strain into the drinking glass, keeping ice out.

Enjoy and repeat.

If you want a mint julep, steep a bunch of mint keaves in your super sweet simple syrup, and stain. I keep some in a plastic squeeze bottle in the fridge.
SpiderDude
AG
Kicked off another batch of bitters. This is my 4th homemade bitters attempt. Doing a cherry one this time...
https://instagr.am/p/CAmNyhbs0ZR
austinag1997
AG
Nevermind. Just read the process.
HTownAg98
Today's cocktail comes from David Wondrich, and it's the Jersey Sunset. It's built in the glass you serve it.
Start with a splash of water and a scant bar spoon of sugar. Dissolve the sugar (or as much of it you can). Add 2.5 oz applejack (or peach brandy, or whatever lower proof brandy you have on hand) and 1.5 oz water. Top with crushed and cubed ice. Stir. Shake on 3-4 good dashes Angostura bitters. Consume mass quantities.

This is an easy drink for some afternoon day drinking.
Max Power
AG
HTownAg98 said:

FlyFisher09 said:

You've hit the nail on the head. The original tiki drinks were some very nice and quaffable cocktails. The modern versions are just boozy syrup.

Same thing with the daiquiri, it should be simple, balanced and not overly sweet. People have just frankensteined that drink along with many others over the years.
austinag1997
AG
Pretty sure the daiquiri was more of a mojito type drink in the Hemingway days.

Five Happiness in NOLA has a decent Mai Tai.
HTownAg98
It was, but even if it was a mojito variant, it was likely still very well balanced. That would also depend on how good the rum was to start with.
mazag08
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Downstairs at the Marriott Ko'olina on Oahu there is a restaurant called Longhi's. They have they best Mai Tai I've ever had.

SICILIAN MAI TAI "HAWAII'S BEST MAI TAI"
Bacardi 8 Year Rum
Orange Curacao
Fresh Pineapple
Lime
Salted Mac Nut Rim with an Amaro Meletti Liqueur float

I STRONGLY advise the salted mac nut rim. It really sends the drink over the top.
aggielax48
AG
Not sure if this is considered modern tiki?? But enjoying this one from Jeffrey Morgenthaler.

St. Stephen's Sour

30 ml Aged Rum
30 ml Cognac
22.5 ml Lemon Juice
22.5 ml Orgeat

1. Combine all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker
2. Shake with ice
3. Strain over crushed ice into a high ball
4. Garnish with a twist of lemon

https://shakeandstraincocktails.com/cocktailId/54A8F026-EFC0-4132-FF2F-2A00653DF200
SpiderDude
AG
Just a no frills whiskey sour tonight. Damn good. I typically think of bourbon cocktails as "heavy" but this comes across as light as a feather. .75oz gomme syrup, 1oz lemon, 2oz bourbon (used Buffalo Trace) and .5oz egg white. Just a dash of bitters (used homemade Grapefruit Lavender).
Scotts Tot
AG
Let's talk bar tools. I currently have a cheap cobbler shaker that tends to get stuck (had to get out some jar-opening grippers once just to get the top off), and thinking about getting a Boston shaker set. Do I go with tin-on-tin or tin-on-glass? For measurement, does anyone see a real advantage to conventional jiggers over those little angled OXO measuring cups, which is what I currently use? Any other insights on cocktail tools you feel like you can't live without?
SpiderDude
AG
I use both a cobbler and Boston basically just depending on what mood I'm in. A Boston with just a large tin can be used with a standard pint glass as the other half. If you're shaking with something like Muddled fruit that you want to filter off a Boston can be preferred if you want to double strain... cobblers will get clogged with these types of cocktails.

As for measuring... for home use it's really personal preference. I think bartenders require jiggers for speed of use and consistent pours. As for other desired equipment I would have a mixing glass and bar spoon for stirred cocktails, a good muddler and a good peeler for citrus peel zest/garnish.
Johnsy3
AG
Here's a recipe I picked up on Stranahan's Instagram live a few weeks back. They called it the Experience I think:

- Muddle 5-6 blueberries, 1-2 mint leaves, a luxardo cherry (+ a bit of juice) and 3 dashes angostura bitters in your shaker
- add 1 oz sweet vermouth and 2 oz Stranahan's (or whatever whiskey you prefer).
- shake 20-30 seconds and strain into a coupe glass
- garnish with mint
Cromagnum
AG
SpiderDude said:

I'm bout to go down the rabbit hole that is Tiki!!!

https://instagr.am/p/CAebJleMlww

Have fun. I've had many evenings blissfully hazy due to these.
Cromagnum
AG
lazuras_dc said:

I made a similar post on the bourbon thread and got good responses, so I would like to ask something similar here..

In your home bar, what are your favorite "house" liquors that you typically keep on hand for making cocktails? Good bang-for-buck labels that make great cocktails, but not top shelf stuff you wouldn't want to mix. I'm familiar with a lot the whiskies out there, but not so much with other base spirits. So what are your go-tos?

Whiskey: Knob Creek, Sazerac Rye. Bulleit, Monkey Shoulder
Gin : Monkey 47, Amsterdam
Tequila: Solorzano Silver and Anejo
Rum: El Dorado 12. Also Avua Prata for Cachaca
Vodka: Don't usually keep on hand but Titos when I do.

SpiderDude
AG
Finished making Cherry Bitters last night...

https://instagr.am/p/CBcSy0QMuob
HTownAg98
I made a very basic and bare bones Aviation tonight. Two oz Citadelle gin, one oz Luxardo liqueur, one oz lemon juice (I can't find creme de violette anywhere, so I just used more Luxardo). It's a damn fine drink.
SpiderDude
AG
Total Wine should have it. I have an old bottle that I really should toss but can't bring myself to do it because of sentimental value. It's not even purple anymore... like brownish now. I brought it back from France years ago. And by years I mean when I got married. My daughter turns 16 this year. We didn't have her when we were married. It's been a minute...
SpiderDude
AG
One of my all time faves. Pistols at Dawn. Just a bad ass drink. Like if you had to make a spicy margarita but didn't have Tequila. This is what you'd make!

Edit:

Pistols at Dawn cocktail

Ingredients

3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
3/4 oz ginger agave
1 oz Ancho Reyes
1 oz Bulleit Bourbon
Splash of Cabernet

Directions

Add all the ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and dump into a glass.
Garnish with Cabernet float and pierced piece of candied ginger.
gooberhead
AG
SpiderDude said:

One of my all time faves. Pistols at Dawn. Just a bad ass drink. Like if you had to make a spicy margarita but didn't have Tequila. This is what you'd make!

What's the recipe for that? Looks yummy!
HTownAg98
Scroll to the bottom.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/the-dish-chef-sam-fox/
gooberhead
AG
Thanks!
SpiderDude
AG
Yep. Mine is close to that but rather than make a ginger syrup I just muddle fresh ginger (about teaspoon worth) and squirt in agave nectar to taste. I'm drinking another Culinary Dropout cocktail tonight... the "Forget Yo' Honey"... can't remember if I listed it before but it's:

2oz black tea infused vodka
1oz amaretto
.5oz mint honey syrup
.5oz lemon juice
aeroag14
AG
Surprised that no one has discussed their go to Martinis. And by Martini, I mean a real Martini, not some junk with vodka and olive juice.

Classic Martini:
3ish OZ high quality Gin
1ish OZ dry vermuth
Stir (dont shake) for 20ish seconds until desired (not too much) dilution

Serve into a chilled coupe and express a long thin lemon peel over the drink, wipe the rim of the drink with said lemon peel and garnish.

Variation on Classic Martini for when you want to change things up just a little:
3ish OZ high quality Gin
1ish OZ dry vermuth
2ish dashes of orange bitters
Serve into a chilled coupe and express an orange peel over the drink, wipe the rim of the drink with said lemon peel and garnish.

mazag08
AG
aeroag14 said:

Surprised that no one has discussed their go to Martinis. And by Martini, I mean a real Martini, not some junk with vodka and olive juice.

Classic Martini:
3ish OZ high quality Gin
1ish OZ dry vermuth

Serve into a chilled coupe and express a long thin lemon peel over the drink, wipe the rim of the drink with said lemon peel and garnish.

Variation on Classic Martini for when you want to change things up just a little:
3ish OZ high quality Gin
1ish OZ dry vermuth
2ish dashes of orange bitters
Serve into a chilled coupe and express an orange peel over the drink, wipe the rim of the drink with said lemon peel and garnish.

Did you post that with your pinky in the air?
HTownAg98
There's a martini thread here somewhere.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks to this post, I actually felt like and made a gin martini tonight. Stirred it versus my normal shake. Damn tasty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.