Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

148,089 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by txag2008
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wrong thread, but please share somewhere your recipe or method.
BrokeAssAggie
I need that recipe!
MarathonAg12
SpiderDude said:

Holiday Cocktail Recipes I wrote down from my IG feed:

Here it is BrokeAss!

Vanilla Cinnamon Maple Whiskey Sour on the top!
BrokeAssAggie
Thanks!
SpiderDude
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmNCQ3xgbAR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Next level cocktail this is.
beagle2009
AG
RIP to my liver
txag2k
AG
Edit: Sorry wrong thread.
MarathonAg12
beagle2009 said:

RIP to my liver

What's the recipe.

I want to drink that and dive into it.
beagle2009
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

beagle2009 said:

RIP to my liver

What's the recipe.

I want to drink that and dive into it.

Bourbon
Aperol
Prosecco
Bitters
Squeeze of orange
Orange slice
Streetfighter 02
AG
I'm just scaling down the Smuggler's Cove recipe. I can look at the book later and post it. My big complaint with all the recipes in that book is the sugar:water ratio. Once you refrigerate it the sugar can't remain in solution and you wind up with a large percentage of sugar crystalized on the bottom of your bottle.
SpiderDude
AG
https://www.liquor.com/kentucky-maid-cocktail-recipe-6543313

How am I just discovering this one?! It combines elements of some of my all time favorites! Next time you crave a mint julep…make this instead!
BrokeAssAggie
That sounds nice and refreshing. Probably give it a go later today.
BrokeAssAggie
Yum!
AgsMnn
AG
Loos good.

This is my goal this year. Expand my liquor options and make more cocktails for guests during get togethers.

What are key things to offer a few different choices of cocktails?
HTownAg98
Learn what cocktails are riffs on others. For example, a Negroni becomes a Boulevardier by switching out gin for bourbon.
AgsMnn
AG
What gin do I need to keep on hand.
CactusThomas
AG
You really need to try a few to see what you like. I like Tanqueray no 10 but it's not for everyone.
HTownAg98
I use Ford's because it makes a great martini but can be used as a mixer as well.
jh0400
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Learn what cocktails are riffs on others. For example, a Negroni becomes a Boulevardier by switching out gin for bourbon.

And swapping the gin for mezcal makes for a great riff as well. It's probably my favorite Negroni variant. Jamaican rum also makes an interesting Negroni.

Another good cocktail that can be changed to match your mood is the sour. I like to do bourbon and amaretto or bourbon and apricot liquer for a change of pace.
SpiderDude
AG
AgsMnn said:

If I started a cocktail bar tomorrow my well options would be:
- Old Forester Rye
- Early Times Bourbon. Sorry Knob Creek I love you too but you're a bit much for a well.
- Fords Gin (Waterloo No. 9 a good local option)
- Wheatley Vodka
- Flor de Cana White Rum
- Presidente Brandy
- Exotico Silver Tequila (must be 100% agave)
- 400 Conejos Mezcal
SpiderDude
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I use Ford's because it makes a great martini but can be used as a mixer as well.

A bartenders favorite.
SpiderDude
AG
https://theeducatedbarfly.com/fall-back/
SpiderDude
AG
jh0400 said:

HTownAg98 said:

And swapping the gin for mezcal makes for a great riff as well. It's probably my favorite Negroni variant. Jamaican rum also makes an interesting Negroni.

Another good cocktail that can be changed to match your mood is the sour. I like to do bourbon and amaretto or bourbon and apricot liquer for a change of pace.

Speaking my love language with that last sentence!
SpiderDude
AG
AgsMnn said:

Loos good.

This is my goal this year. Expand my liquor options and make more cocktails for guests during get togethers.

What are key things to offer a few different choices of cocktails?

Amaro is poetically where I'd start. The big 3 to me are Campari, Aperol and Nonino. Lol...meant probably not poetically but I'll allow it. You should also have a dry and sweet vermouth always... keep them in the fridge after opening... never on the shelf or they oxidize. If they do oxidize don't toss. Use them for cooking! I've made some amazing mushrooms using old vermouth! It's hard to give Liqueur recs. There so many!!! Triple sec obviously. No need to splurge on Grand Marnier or Cointreau. Gran Gala is comparable at half the price. If you want to splurge on special "add ons" I'd recommend Absinthe (Pernod Ricard... not the pastis **** though... the high proof big dog) or Green Chartreuse... flower/ herb garden in a bottle!
SpiderDude
AG
You made me do it!
jh0400
AG
I usually use Giffard due to cost and availability, but Roulot is life changing if you can find it and are willing to use a $100+ spirit as a mixer.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Apparently this bottle is currently harder to get than most allocated bourbons.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Apparently this bottle is currently harder to get than most allocated bourbons.
Chartreuse is having a moment I think. Hear about it a lot in the wine professional scene, and I think that is trickling out and down by word of mouth.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Someone was asking for it in Spec's last month and the worker told him they haven't had it since early in 2022. I only have a bottle of yellow.
Johnsy3
AG
AgsMnn said:

I've only recently gotten into gin, but I really like Austin Reserve. It's not super widely available but I think it's delicious. It's also 100 proof
jh0400
AG
AgsMnn said:

I'd recommend keeping at least two. One of them should be a classic dry gin like Beefeater or Bombay. The second should be a more modern style like Botanist, Hendricks, or Monkey 47. There are a lot of interesting cocktails that you can come up with by playing off of the aromatics in the gins. Just remember the rule of including a spirit, something sweet, and something bitter.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Total Wine in Fort Worth told me he thought he'd be getting chartreuse in today.
Tylerjo97
AG
This is one of the best Manhattans that I've ever had. Got all the ingredients but I'm still working on getting the ratios right.
Sazerac
AG
That's a mix of a Manhattan and a Black Manhattan.
Do them 50/50 and twice as much bourbon
HTownAg98
I picked up some grapefruit at HEB today. Those cold snaps in the valley have done wonders for the citrus, and the grapefruit are exceptional. They're so good you have to cut way back on the sugar in your drink. The last two brown derbys I've had have been excellent. If anyone has some grapefruit juice cocktails they like, let's see them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.