Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

148,074 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by txag2008
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happy Cinco de Mayo cocktail peeps!!!
beagle2009
AG
bmoochie
AG
Happy Mint Julep Day!! Aka Kentucky derby. What's everyone's bourbon of choice? Woodford reserve for me is hard to beat. Enjoy four roses in it also.
bmoochie
AG

bmoochie
AG
Mojitarita with Texas shaped ice cubes because why not
bmoochie
AG
BrokeAssAggie
Where you get bar mat?
bmoochie
AG
Pretty sure I got it as a graduation present years ago so couldn't tell you unfortunately
BrokeAssAggie
Dang. I need that
LawHall88
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

Dang. I need that
https://www.aggielandoutfitters.com/products/texas-a-m-aggie-bar-mat
BrokeAssAggie
Says sold out.
LawHall88
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

Says sold out.
Oops, sure enough. Sorry about that.
beagle2009
AG
Looks and sounds amazing! Recipe?
bmoochie
AG
Needed a little more mint IMO but here is what I did which made two glasses.

-Tore up about 10 leaves of mint and put in shaker.
-Squeeze half lime for juice
-4 teaspoons regular sugar
- 5 ounce tequila
-2 ounces of club soda or sparkling water.

Shake well and then strain in your glass. garnish with lime slices and mint leaves.

If still a little stout you can add a little more sparkling water in the class and mix in to dilute the punch down a little.
XXXVII
Just found this thread. For May the 4th I made a Grogu Last Word.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Sazerac said:

Lei Low was ok drinks first time and absolutely awful the second. Like kerosene.

Fun vibe though.

That's a bummer. LL is a dive bar, not the over the top Tatsu-Ya, which is in its own class along with several other bars around the country. I really enjoy Tatsu-Ya as well, happy it's not local else I'd spend too much there.

The only bad drinks I've had at LL involve mescal. That stuff is horrible. Last week I was in DFW and hit all 3. The only really bad drink I had was from Swizzle and it was the Mai Tai, made with Denizin 8yr. Full polyphenol/plastic. Bar tender gave me a splash to try it neat, and yup, it was the rum. Same flavor I find in Rum Babencourt offerings. 1/2 the time you need to know what the drink is being made with, as rum is so incredibly diverse. I'm also over sensitive to Absinthe, so if it's a part of the drink I'll ask them to use 1/2 the called for amount. If the bar is too busy, I'll just order a different cocktail.

Anyway, I love LL and I'm there 2-3x per month. Get there early and the bartenders are happy to talk about the cocktails and rums before it gets slammed.
XXXVII
I really want to try Tiki Tat-suya.

I feel the same about Mezcal. There aren't many drinks I like with it. I can tolerate a Naked and Famous, but I haven't found others I like.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I did a mezcal floater on top of my margarita this past Friday. Was pretty nice. I think it plays well as a counter to tequila.
SpiderDude
AG
Never speak ill of my beloved Mezcal. ;P

For reals though. Mezcal can be amazing and extremely varied in taste profile depending on production method, terroir, etc.
jh0400
AG
I've never had a cocktail based around Mezcal that I've loved, but I do enjoy it as a substitute for the "normal" liquor in a cocktail. I really like it in cocktails that have a bitter element like a Negroni or subbed for bourbon in a Paper Plane.
XXXVII
Hmm, I will try a mezcal negroni tonight and report back.
jh0400
AG
I recommend Carpano Antica for vermouth. It needs to be bold to stand up to the smoke.
G Martin 87
AG
Perfect. I've been growing mint in the backyard to make Suffering *******s, so I'll add this recipe to the rotation.
AlaskanAg99
AG
XXXVII said:

I really want to try Tiki Tat-suya.

I feel the same about Mezcal. There aren't many drinks I like with it. I can tolerate a Naked and Famous, but I haven't found others I like.

It's amazing. I've been 3x, which isn't too bad since I live in Houston. I recommend bar seats so you can talk to the bartenders. Make sure to walk around as your seat is reserved. The other 2 bars I've been to at it's kevel are False Idol and Mothership, both in San Diego.

But every cocktail is different, even same type bar to bar will have variations. There are certain types I just don't care for. I'm not a fan of heavy smoke, be it mescal or rauchbier. I love gin, but hate gin martinis. To each their own.
XXXVII
Mezcal Negroni using what I had on hand. I didn't have oranges, so the garnish was a lime wedge. Not bad!

Sazerac
AG
This sounds awful

Maybe have to borrow Mezcal from a neighbor and give it a try
txag2008
AG
Great mezcal cocktail called a Division Bell
PDWT_12
AG
I made mezcal Last Words for friends this past weekend and it was a pretty big hit.
XXXVII
The Last Word is probably my favorite drink, and I've tried several variations that replace the base spirit, but they just don't do it for me. Now, I don't experiment anymore because I don't want the waste the chartreuse which is becoming very hard to find.
PDWT_12
AG
It was a chartreuse substitute anyway because I couldn't get a bottle of the real stuff.
XXXVII
Blasphemy!
beagle2009
AG
So what was the sub?
PDWT_12
AG
Ver from True Wine
XXXVII
That's probably closest to the real thing. Not as peppery though.
XXXVII
Felt like a Clover Club this evening.

2 ounces gin
1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce raspberry syrup
1 egg white
Garnish: 3 raspberries

Also, I really like Buffalo Trace lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.