Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

148,102 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by txag2008
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sazerac said:

Is there an app or site where I can enter a couple ingredients and get some recipes?

St Germaine
gin

And give me some options? Always thought that would be nice to have.
Blast from the past, but just catching up on this thread.

I use Please Don't Tell's (PDT) app. They're a famous (everybody told I guess) bar in NYC. You store what you have and it spits out drinks you can make / alternates you can use.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pdt-cocktails/id968492836
CactusThomas
AG
Cromagnum said:

CactusThomas said:

Sometimes simple is just the ticket.

The Spyglass

3oz gin (Tanqueray no. 10)
1oz allspice dram (St. Elizabeth's)

Stir and strain. Serve up. Thin lime slice for garnish.

I know what I'm drinking tonight.

ETA: I felt it needed more lime. I think milage varys greatly based on choice of gin. I did not have any left but bet that something like Monkey 47 would have been great.

I use that Tanqueray no. 10 and I find it to have a lot of citrus notes. The allspice dram can make it more syrupy than some prefer. I stir it pretty good to add some water. I like it the way I described it with the lime just adding a tiny bit of juice. But I don't blame you for wanting to balance the allspice with more lime. To each his own.
SpiderDude
AG
Pisco Sour. Tried and true. This one has a hint (~1/2oz) of Apricot liqueur. Elected to go with aquafaba vs egg white.
CactusThomas
AG
Long Oval

1oz high proof bourbon (Wild Turkey Rare Breed)
1oz high proof rye (Rare Breed Rye)
1oz VSOP cognac (Martell Blue Swift)
1/2 oz limoncello
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Briefly stir and strain, add luxardo cherry.
SpiderDude
AG
I made up a drink last night…a sour. I'll call it "Yellow My Fine Fellow":
2 oz bourbon
.75 oz lemon
.5 oz honey syrup
.5 oz Yellow Chartreuse
.5 oz Amaro Braulio
~1 oz egg white or aquafaba
Dry shake the shake over ice and double strain into chilled cocktail glass
HTownAg98
So you made a whiskey sour with some bitters?

I'd like your input on the best proportions for a gold rush. I made a 2:1 honey syrup, but I may have a bourbon that isn't high enough in proof (Bulliet) to make the sweet and sour balance each other. I started with 2:0.75:0.75 bourbon: lemon juice: honey syrup. It was good, but a little sweet, I dropped the honey syrup to 0.50, but the drink didn't taste like it was cohesive, if that makes sense. If the lower proof booze is the issue, what's a higher proof bourbon that you'd recommend that is good for mixing and won't break the bank?
SpiderDude
AG
WT101, Knob Creek, Early Times, Basically anything BiB. Try a scant pinch of salt and a dash of citrus bitters before you shake it. And throw some citrus peel for a "regal shake"…

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gold-rush-good-bourbon-cocktail-200000250.html
SpiderDude
AG
Created a fairly simple/straightforward riff on a Gordon's Cup:
Just sub tequila for the gin and tajin for the salt (I still use black pepper).

I'm calling it: "Copa de Gordo"
2 oz. Tequila Blanco
oz. simple syrup (1:1)
1/2 fresh lime cut into chunks
6 cucumber slices, 3 reserved a garnish
Tools: muddler, shaker
Glass: double rocks
Muddle the lime wedges into gin and simple. Add 3 cucumber slices. Shake and dump contents into serving glass (do not strain).
Garnish: remaining cucumber slices, tajin, fresh-ground pepper
SpiderDude
AG
Been on a *****ly Pear kick late with my Rita game.
doctorAg13
AG
Can you share how you make it and where you get the p pear?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HTownAg98
SpiderDude said:

WT101, Knob Creek, Early Times, Basically anything BiB. Try a scant pinch of salt and a dash of citrus bitters before you shake it. And throw some citrus peel for a "regal shake"…

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gold-rush-good-bourbon-cocktail-200000250.html

I picked up a bottle of Old Forrester BiB today for $25. That did the trick. The higher proof of the booze balanced everything perfectly.
SpiderDude
AG
doctorAg13 said:

Can you share how you make it and where you get the p pear?

Fresh *****ly Pear from HEB. I peel it with a knife or peeler. Then place the flesh directly in the blender or food processor. The puree then must be strained…the seeds are VERY hard. Like break your tooth if you bite into one hard! Once strained you can add to your Margarita. I'd add about an oz per cocktail serving. Out about 4 oz for a full blender of frozen margs if you prefer them frozen. It will add some sweetness so back off on the simple or agave just a bit…Maybe .25-.5 oz less per serving. It's sort of a natural sweetener.
SpiderDude
AG
Tried to duplicate The Magnolia from Moonshine. It's basically their Stockyard Pony but amped up a bit with added grapefruit juice and ginger Simple.
SpiderDude
AG

Know Your Enemy
AG
This thread fascinates me. These drinks look amazing but I'm way too lazy to go through all the effort to make them. The most I'll do is drop an ice cube in my bourbon.
Max Power
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

This thread fascinates me. These drinks look amazing but I'm way too lazy to go through all the effort to make them. The most I'll do is drop an ice cube in my bourbon.
Next time add some bitters, either some simple syrup or a sugar cube, a luxardo cherry, and an orange twist. The old-fashioned is a great gateway cocktail.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Max Power said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Next time add some bitters, either some simple syrup or a sugar cube, a luxardo cherry, and an orange twist. The old-fashioned is a great gateway cocktail.
I've had plenty at bars and enjoy them. But I'm not making them at home. I have my niece make me Perfect Manhattans often. That was my dad's drink and he taught her how to make them long before she was of legal drinking age. He always swore she made them the best and I agree. His recipe is a little different than the regular one though.
SpiderDude
AG
Not a bad one…

PERFECT MANHATTAN:
2 PARTS Knob Creek Bourbon
1/2 PART sweet vermouth
1/2 PART dry vermouth
DASH of Fee BrothersTM Aromatic Bitters
Maraschino cherry
DIRECTIONS

Combine the bourbon, vermouth and bitters in a mixing glass. Swirl with ice to chill.
Pour into a cocktail glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think that's close to how my old man made them but without the bitters. He added a little spoonful of the cherry juice too. And for good measure the bourbon was poured with a heavy hand. I guess that's where I got it from.
87Flyfisher
AG
Got this in an email from Epicurious this morning. Just made it using Elijah Craig and it is great.

Old Pepper

2 oz. 80-proof bourbon
1/2 oz. Turbinado Syrup
1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 oz. Crystal hot sauce
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
Garnish: 1 chile de arbol

To make the cocktail: Fill a rocks glass with
crushed ice. Pour the bourbon, syrup, lemon
juice, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into a
cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker with ice cubes.
Cover and shake vigorously 20 times. Strain
into the glass. Place the straw in the glass. To
garnish, place the chile on the ice.
SpiderDude
AG
Alright so completely shot from the hip on this one. Wanted something in the margarita realm but more in the traditional sour style. I just made what I'll call a...

Oaxacan Sour:
1oz Extra Anejo
1oz Mezcal
1oz lime juice
.75oz simple
.33oz triple sec
.33oz Ancho Reyes
.33oz Nixta
Egg white (I actually used Aquafaba)
62strat
AG
Had extra cider left over from Halloween party (for kids, so N/A) . Whiskey, lemon juice (or even lemonade), apple cider and a bit of sugar topped with tonic is a pretty refreshing drink!
beagle2009
AG
Blackberry Bourbon Bramble

Bourbon
Blackberry liquer/brandy
Simple syrup
Bitters
Fresh blackberries
Orange or lemon
Mint
Ginger beer

Muddle 3 blackberries, few mint leaves, squeeze of orange/lemon, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice and add bourbon, liquer, and bitters. Shake for 20sec. Pour contents of shaker into two lowball whiskey glasses. Add more ice if needed. Top with ginger beer. Garnish with fresh blackberry, orange peel, candied ginger, fresh mint.

SpiderDude
AG
Looks amazing!
SpiderDude
AG

https://theyankeecowboy.com/cranberry-gold-rush-recipe/?fbclid=PAAaan-cl_ndSLjTSBMDDx0zKL6A93VWL2mdvpJW2vGDogXpmJVrlkfT3ZkHk#recipe

These will be on the cocktail menu today fo sho!!! I'm adding rosemary to my honey syrup as well.
beagle2009
AG
Made this tonight and it did not disappoint! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
KyleJ2012
AG
Very good! Made with rosemary as well. I think I'll do a little less lemon juice and a little less syrup next time though. Pretty sour as-is and don't really get a ton of bourbon bite.
MarathonAg12
Enjoying a Whiskey Jacket in Utah.
beagle2009
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Looks good. What's in it?
DTP02
AG
My new go-to instead of simple syrup or maple syrup for a variation on an Old Fashioned is caramelized fig syrup. Got this idea from barkeep at The Republic:

https://www.amazon.com/Caramelized-Fig-Syrup-17-oz/dp/B07S197H9C
HTownAg98
I've had their Notorious F.I.G. It's a damn good cocktail.

My wife bought me The Aviary Holiday Cocktail Book. Their take on the Old-Fashioned is going to be the first thing I tackle, because I have most of what's needed to make it. Most of the recipes are rather esoteric.
MarathonAg12
beagle2009 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Looks good. What's in it?

Sazerac
AG
So a black Manhattan (Harlem) with Allspice.
Sounds like a good twist
BrokeAssAggie
Anyone got a good "Christmas Cocktail"? something for the ladies using Gin or Tequila.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Remember The Maine

Recipe calls for rye but I didn't any so I subbed bourbon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.