Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

148,092 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by txag2008
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree with this, but these at a day shower is going to turn into a **** show.
SpiderDude
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

How's that golden falernum?! It sounds interesting on their website but of course they're gonna make it sound that way for marketing.
txag2008
AG
Related, I just made a batch of falernum recently. I think it's good, but it's also the only stuff I've ever tried (DIY or store-bought).
BrokeAssAggie
I like it. It's not easy to find! I can give you a big sample
jh0400
AG
So my wife has decided she really likes Last Words. Unfortunately for me, green chartreuse is harder to get than Blanton's.
Sazerac
AG
I prefer with yellow actually.
But not sure if also hard to find. Haven't repurchased in a awhile
FarmerJohn
AG
My situation as well. Thanks for the warning on the Chartreuse. Might preemptively restock.
Streetfighter 02
AG
If you're in DFW and have a liquor king nearby they seem to consistently have Chartreuse. Online the price shows to be $71.05 and it can be ordered for delivery or pickup in Fort Worth. Two Bucks also had it last time I was in (1 bottle) but it had been there for a month as far as I could tell.
87Flyfisher
AG
If you are traveling through OKC; Grand Cru Wine & Spirits on N. May Ave and Wild Turkey Finer Wines on MacArthur both had multiple bottles of both Green and Yellow Chartreuse a week ago.
LawHall88
AG
Did anyone watch this? Is it worth the time?
betadawg1
AG
I've browsed 4 Spec's in Houston & 1 in CS this week and all had 4-6 bottles of Green Chartreuse on the shelf. They must have received a shipment this week.
Johnsy3
AG
I watched it recently and thought it was pretty fun. There are wild ingredients and techniques so I personally did not make any cocktails from the show if that's what you're looking to do
bmoochie
AG

jh0400
AG
I stopped by three Specs and one TW in Houston today and struck out four times.
betadawg1
AG
jh0400 said:

The Specs on Jones Rd had t least 4 last night. If you don't have any luck in the near future I can mule you one from CS.

Apparently Chartreuse is one of the rare items that TW doesn't carry, per an employee.
Johnsy3
AG
jh0400 said:

Did you try the Spec's on 45 and Rayford?
BrokeAssAggie

jh0400
AG
If you've got a surplus I'd take you up on it. I don't have a lot of time to visit stores outside of the handful near my house or office. I'm glad to pass along some samples if there is anything I've got that you're interested in and buy you a drink or three for your trouble.
SpiderDude
AG
betadawg1 said:

jh0400 said:

The Specs on Jones Rd had t least 4 last night. If you don't have any luck in the near future I can mule you one from CS.

Apparently Chartreuse is one of the rare items that TW doesn't carry, per an employee.

I was told this is more of a supply vs demand issue. They're mainly allocating to bars and restaurants vs liquor stores.
Streetfighter 02
AG

Friday night margs.
1/2 oz agave syrup
1 oz cointreu
1 oz lime juice
2 oz tequila

Saturday night Mai Tai:
1/4 oz demerara syurp
1/2 oz orgeat
1/2 oz Clement Creole Shrub (orange liqueur)
1 oz lime juice
1 oz Plantation OFTD rum
1 oz Plantation Stiggin's Smoky Formula

I tried the recipe with both pineapple infused rums. With only 1 oz it was hard to discern the smoky flavor. I may iterate on this with an overproof float and 2 oz of Smoky Forumula.
G Martin 87
AG
Going to infuse some reposado with cinnamon and candied jalapeños right now.
SpiderDude
AG
Will you Marry me?!
SpiderDude
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Going to infuse some reposado with cinnamon and candied jalapeños right now.

You can be my side hustle when Street marries me!
Streetfighter 02
AG
You're really going to love that my freezer makes craft ice spheres.
betadawg1
AG
Honey Badger (a riff on the Gold Rush)

10 Rosemary Needles
1.5 oz Bourbon (used 100 proof)
.5 oz Yellow Chartreuse
.25 oz Ginger Liquor
.5 oz Honey Syrup (2:1)
.75 oz Lemon Juice

Shaken and strained over new ice. Garnish with a rosemary stalk if you are into that sort of thing.

It's a little honey forward. I'm going to mess with the ratios a bit. Either up the bourbon to 2oz or use a higher proof and up the yellow chartreuse a bit to get more herbal notes. I might try Mike's hot honey to make the syrup to give it some heat.

On the second one I cut the lemon juice to 1/2 oz, upped the yellow chartreuse by 1/8 oz, and cut the honey syrup by 1/8 oz. Going to play with it some more but starting to hit my sweet spot.

Streetfighter 02
AG

A Mai Tai with the same recipe as above except I used 2 oz of the Stiggin's Smoky Formula with a nice float of OFTD. This is a double recipe with twice the volume above. The mug is from Smuggler's Cove.
Scotts Tot
AG
How do you like the smoky version? Stiggins has become a staple on my shelf, and I was intrigued when I recently saw that smoky one at my local store.
Streetfighter 02
AG
In this recipe I can't detect it at all. I guess I really need to make two at the same time and taste them side by each.
Scotts Tot
AG
I guess I'm curious how prominent the smokiness is if you tried them neat side by side. Also is it more of a wood fire or peaty kind of smoke.
Streetfighter 02
AG
It's a peaty smoke.
SpiderDude
AG
I made a Jungle Bird where I replaced the rum with raisin soaked bourbon. I used Amaro Lucano in place of the Campari also. Legit. I think I'll call it "Hung Like a Horse". I don't know why. I just like the name.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I'm headed to Tiki Tatsu-Ya in Austin on Friday. Think they can make it?
jh0400
AG
Any good uses for Rum Fire? I love trelawny rum but have a hard time with this one overpowering everything.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I would probably sub it into any recipe that calls for overproof rum. I've never had it but it sounds somewhat similar to Wray and Nephew overproof rum. That stuff is like a banana bomb.

https://punchdrink.com/recipes/dry-tongue-therapy/
LawHall88
AG
jh0400 said:

So my wife has decided she really likes Last Words. Unfortunately for me, green chartreuse is harder to get than Blanton's.
Quote:

Four months ago, Joshua Lutz started scouring the country for Chartreuse, the bright-green herbal liqueur based on a secret recipe of 130 botanicals and produced in the French Alps by the Carthusian order of monks for more than two centuries. Mr. Lutz, a health care technology professional based in Huntington Woods, Mich., has loved the liqueur for more than 20 years long before it became a stalwart on cocktail lists across the country.

"It used to be something you could rely on being available, so I never really paid much attention to it," he said. But Mr. Lutz's local liquor store has been sold out for the past year, so he has taken matters into his own hands. Now, when he travels for work, he takes a shipping box with him. "Recent times have forced me into hoarding a little bit," he said.

The shortage isn't limited to Mr. Lutz's liquor store.

While supplies of some wines and other spirits have dwindled because of a glass shortage and shipping delays, Chartreuse both the green variety and its mellower yellow sibling has become scarce because the Carthusians have declined to increase production to match rising demand.
Quote:

In 2020, as the pandemic turned many people into at-home mixologists, sales of Chartreuse in the United States doubled, a pattern that held true worldwide, according to Chartreuse Diffusion. Global sales topped $30 million in 2022.

This rise in popularity directly conflicted with a collective decision that the monks quietly made in 2019 to cap production of their ingredient-intensive spirit in order to limit the environmental impact and to focus on their "primary goal" of solitude and prayer, as explained in a letter released in January.

"There's only so much Chartreuse you can make without ruining the balance of monastic life," said the Rev. Michael K. Holleran, a former monk who oversaw Chartreuse production from 1986 to 1990.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/14/dining/drinks/chartreuse-shortage.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.