Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

148,076 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by txag2008
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I do a gin, aperol, fresh ginger, lemon, red grapefruit highball during the summer
beagle2009
AG
Brown derby you say? What's your go-to recipe? Mine is basically a gold rush with grapefruit instead of lemon juice + mint, and is always refreshing.
Bulldog73
AG
I made a Black Demure last night. It didn't disappoint at all.
HTownAg98
3 oz high proof bourbon
1.5 oz grapefruit juice
0.5 honey syrup.
The original recipe I found called for 1.5 oz honey syrup. But the sugar in these grapefruit is so high, I cut the syrup way back, and I'm glad I did.
Johnsy3
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I picked up some grapefruit at HEB today. Those cold snaps in the valley have done wonders for the citrus, and the grapefruit are exceptional. They're so good you have to cut way back on the sugar in your drink. The last two brown derbys I've had have been excellent. If anyone has some grapefruit juice cocktails they like, let's see them.

Aside from the obvious Paloma, I really enjoy the Blinker. It's pretty much a brown derby with grenadine subbed for the honey syrup

2 oz rye
1 oz grapefruit juice
.5 oz grenadine or raspberry syrup (I think the original recipe calls for raspberry)
Streetfighter 02
AG
Jet Pilot

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz cinnamon syrup
1/2 oz falernum
1 oz black blended rum
3/4 oz aged blended rum
3/4 oz black blended overproof
1 dsh herbastura (a small dash of ango & absinthe each)
SpiderDude
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I picked up some grapefruit at HEB today. Those cold snaps in the valley have done wonders for the citrus, and the grapefruit are exceptional. They're so good you have to cut way back on the sugar in your drink. The last two brown derbys I've had have been excellent. If anyone has some grapefruit juice cocktails they like, let's see them.

10oz good bourbon
6 hours sleep
Fresh squeezed grapefruit as a hangover helper the next morning.
HTownAg98
That sounds terrible. At my age, I try to avoid hangovers at all costs.
Johnsy3
AG
This doesn't have a huge amount of grapefruit, but the Hemingway is my favorite version of the daiquiri

2 oz rum
.75 oz lime juice
.5 oz grapefruit juice
.5 oz maraschino
Streetfighter 02
AG
I found a bottle today I did t think was available in the US. None of the big stores carry it and if you ask they have no clue this bottle exists. It's gonna make some badass cocktails. Next month, however.
MarathonAg12
Another evening with SpiderDude….don't remember what it was but it was tasty. Lots of pours were had prior.
Johnsy3
AG
I finally picked up a bottle of Green Chartreuse yesterday. I've never had it. The Last Word is what I'll make first, but any other suggestions on GC cocktails I should try?
Streetfighter 02
AG
Johnsy3 said:

I finally picked up a bottle of Green Chartreuse yesterday. I've never had it. The Last Word is what I'll make first, but any other suggestions on GC cocktails I should try?
How about a chartreuse swizzle?

• 1.25 oz - green chartreuse
  • 1/2 oz - velvet falernum (I use John D Taylor's)
  • 3/4 oz - lime juice
  • 1 oz - pineapple juice (I buy the 4-packs at Trader Joe's that are unsweetened)

Combine all ingredients in collins glass.
Fill collins glass 3/4 with crushed ice.
Swizzle with barspoon or swizzle stick until condensation frosts on glass.
Top glass up with more crushed ice.
Garnish? Up to you. Pineapple fronds, pineapple wedge, lime wheel all work.

I also suggest subbing gin for a nice mezcal on the last word.
Johnsy3
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Johnsy3 said:

How about a chartreuse swizzle?

• 1.25 oz - green chartreuse
  • 1/2 oz - velvet falernum (I use John D Taylor's)
  • 3/4 oz - lime juice
  • 1 oz - pineapple juice (I buy the 4-packs at Trader Joe's that are unsweetened)

Combine all ingredients in collins glass.
Fill collins glass 3/4 with crushed ice.
Swizzle with barspoon or swizzle stick until condensation frosts on glass.
Top glass up with more crushed ice.
Garnish? Up to you. Pineapple fronds, pineapple wedge, lime wheel all work.

I also suggest subbing gin for a nice mezcal on the last word.

1. I need to get Falernum
2. Mezcal sounds great and I believe that riff is called the Closing Argument
3. There's another riff that uses whiskey and lemon juice in place of the gin and lime
Streetfighter 02
AG
Fortunately falernum isn't super expensive. It's also used in a cocktail called Corn ans Oil which is a good rum drink that's easy to make. Only three ingredients. Obviously your rum selection will be important because it's dominating the cocktail.

1/2 oz - John D Taylor's Velvet Falernum
2 oz - blended aged rum (book suggest Barbados but any nice rum will be good)
2-4 dashes angostura bitters

Add all ingredients to an old fashioned glass, add crushed ice, stir until condensation frosts the glass.

Just referenced the book for the swizzle. Garnish with mint sprig and fresh grated nutmeg per Smuggler's Cove.
Streetfighter 02
AG

DTP02
AG
SpiderDude said:

SpiderDude said:

I've fallen in love with this one and it's been my go to after work drink. It is featured on the Moonshine in Cedar Park cocktail menu:

Stockyard Pony:
2 oz bourbon (theirs uses WT 101)
1 oz Aperol
1 oz Simple
1 oz Lemon juice
Orange bitters
Shake on ice and serve in coupe.

Moonshine changed the recipe and name of this drink to the Magnolia. The main change is the substitution of ginger syrup and the addition of grapefruit juice which compliments the Aperol nicely. I attempted the new version today and this is what I came up with:
2 oz Bourbon
.75 oz Aperol
1 oz Lemon
.75 oz ginger syrup
.75 oz grapefruit juice

I'm very happy with the result.

It was warm last night and I wanted to try something different to celebrate the Aggie hoops win, so I made this. I really enjoyed it. Made another one and added a sprig of fresh thyme and it took it up another notch.
Tylerjo97
AG
SpiderDude said:

SpiderDude said:

I've fallen in love with this one and it's been my go to after work drink. It is featured on the Moonshine in Cedar Park cocktail menu:

Stockyard Pony:
2 oz bourbon (theirs uses WT 101)
1 oz Aperol
1 oz Simple
1 oz Lemon juice
Orange bitters
Shake on ice and serve in coupe.

Moonshine changed the recipe and name of this drink to the Magnolia. The main change is the substitution of ginger syrup and the addition of grapefruit juice which compliments the Aperol nicely. I attempted the new version today and this is what I came up with:
2 oz Bourbon
.75 oz Aperol
1 oz Lemon
.75 oz ginger syrup
.75 oz grapefruit juice

I'm very happy with the result.
I just made the Stockyard Pony and it's tasty. Thanks for sharing!
txag2008
AG
Just made this one. Still trying to figure out what I think of it. There's a lot going on with the ginger & turmeric.

https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/rose-gold-gin-cocktail/
SpiderDude
AG
Looks outstanding! I made something like this with turmeric a while back. I need to revisit it seems. This might be worth trying with some other base liquors. Starting with tequila.
BrokeAssAggie

SpiderDude
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnpEquOB1Nw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

G Martin 87
AG
jh0400 said:

AgsMnn said:

What gin do I need to keep on hand.

I'd recommend keeping at least two. One of them should be a classic dry gin like Beefeater or Bombay. The second should be a more modern style like Botanist, Hendricks, or Monkey 47. There are a lot of interesting cocktails that you can come up with by playing off of the aromatics in the gins. Just remember the rule of including a spirit, something sweet, and something bitter.
This is a solid rule worth following. I keep Beefeater and Esme on hand for this exact reason. My third bottle is currently Drumshanbo, which goes great with grapefruit, BTW.
SpiderDude
AG
Some may not consider this a cocktail but it certainly qualifies…Irish Coffee. I've perfected my version of it and made it a weekend treat:
-Start with one tsp brown and 1 tsp white sugar (I've just premixed them in a container)
-1.5oz Irish Whiskey
-6-8oz hot dark coffee
-top with whipped heavy cream
I look forward to this getting my weekend days started off right!
Matsui
AG
Sounds so good!
Streetfighter 02
AG
Having a Banana Boulevardier tonight.
1 oz bourbon
1 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz giffard banane du bresil
1/2 oz Campari

First time trying this. I'm using old grandad bonded and martini Rossi vermouth. This recipe is from Anvil in Houston.

I'm getting the same basic flavor as a boulevardier with a sweeter finish. Not picking up the banana that much. Vermouth and Campari dominate but the banana does provide a smooth sweet finish with good mouth feel.

I have a gallon of this in a barrel aging for a few weeks. It will be interesting to see how the flavors differ. I'll do a SxS when we drink the gallon and compare.

Giffard makes a pineapple toasted liqueur that may be a better match. I will probably snag a bottle in the coming weeks and try a variation.
beagle2009
AG
All of this sounds incredible. Pics?
txag2008
AG
Sounds interesting.

Have to ask….you made a gallon of it??
Streetfighter 02
AG
Yes. I'm aging a gallon in an oak barrel. Sorry that wasn't clear. I've done a barrel aged Negroni before and it was good so this should also turn out nice. The barrel should theoretically mellow the strong herbal flavor of the campari. Hosting a party so this is the primary libation we plan to serve. I didn't put expensive ingredients in case it winds up being trash.
SpiderDude
AG
Have you ever had banana infused Jameson?! It's the bees knees! You could try banana infused bourbon in that boulvardier. Just take a super ripe banana. Freeze it. Then defrost, squeeze out the softened flesh, and infuse in a large jar with 375ml whiskey for at least 24 hours. Then just strain out the solids and rebottle.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I've done this with rum but not whisky. I'll have to give it a try. I have an irish whiskey cocktail I'm going to test out this coming weekend.
Know Your Enemy
AG
SpiderDude said:

Have you ever had banana infused Jameson?! It's the bees knees! You could try banana infused bourbon in that boulvardier. Just take a super ripe banana. Freeze it. Then defrost, squeeze out the softened flesh, and infuse in a large jar with 375ml whiskey for at least 24 hours. Then just strain out the solids and rebottle.
I've had Howler Head which is a banana flavored whiskey. I'm sure flavored whiskies are frowned upon here but I'll enjoy them occasionally.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Infused isn't the same as flavored, either. For the most part an infused product will be better tasting. Check out Plantation Stiggin's Fancy Pineapple rum.

Absolut used to make Absolut Boston, a tea infused vodka, that made a badass cocktail. They stopped the infusion and went to flavored and the product quality dropped.

Johnsy3
AG
SpiderDude said:

I coulda swore Bees Knees was gin, lemon, and honey syrup
Streetfighter 02
AG
I made the chartreuse swizzle on Saturday. It was a fantastic, refreshing drink.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.