Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

145,411 Views | 1142 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by G Martin 87
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpiderDude said:

I like 400 Conejos if you can find it. Del Maguey Vida is pretty common and good also.

Del Maguey Vida
goadius6
AG
Gracias
Cromagnum
AG
Making a chartreuse sidecar.

In a pot add 1 cup if sugar and 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of chopped fresh rosemary, and 1 peel of an entire orange. Boil, strain, and cool.

To a shaker with ice, add 1 ounce each of Bourbon and 1 ounce of either green or yellow chartreuse and 1/2 oz of the syrup you made above. Shake and serve.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sounds delicious
Cromagnum
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Sounds delicious

Tried it. Too sweet. Needs citrus that it did not call for.
Chipotlemonger
AG
To be Frank, I've never actually had Chartreuse! But, I've heard a lot about it and what it is, history, etc.
SpiderDude
AG
I'm pretty sure I've posted this already... or some version of it. Here's what I'm enjoying tonight:
Bourbon Peach Smash... this might be my favorite summertime cocktail! 1 quarter peach chopped up into a few pieces, 2oz bourbon, .75oz peach Liqueur (I used Benchmark peach), .5oz Simple, 1oz lemon, a few pieces of mint go in the shaker and a few more for garnish, bitters (I used my cherry bitters), shake vigorously, serve over ice with mint garnish. Heaven in a glass when it's hot outside!

Edit: If you want it to pour "clean" then double strain it. Or feel free to dump it all into a rocks glass if you enjoy the peach chunks.
lazuras_dc
AG
I know this is a mixed drink and not a cocktail but I've Been enjoying this with a squeeze of lime. TnT?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hey that counts as a cocktail to me.
AG
Italy 1997 summer study abroad all the bars called that Tequila Boom Boom!
Cromagnum
AG
Never can go wrong with whiskey sours, especially when it's hot AF outside.

1 part each simple syrup and fresh lemon juice.
2 parts whiskey or bourbon (or whatever spirit really).
1 egg white.
Shake like crazy with ice.
Few drops of angostura on top of the foam.
Mint garnish if you want to be fancy.

If you want to change it up with simple syrup.
1 cup each sugar and water
Entire peel of 1 orange
1/4 cup fresh rosemary.
Bring to a boil, then strain / filter and chill.
(If you don't want rosemary and orange you can substitute cinnamon sticks, cardamom, pepper seed, or whatever spices you want to impart)
lazuras_dc
AG
Whiskey Sours and Whiskey Smashes are my absolute favorite right now. Old Fashioneds and Manhattans have taken a back seat to those in my house.
SpiderDude
AG
Little Pina Colada action tonight.
SpiderDude
AG
Cromagnum said:

1 egg white.

Entire peel of 1 orange
1/4 cup fresh rosemary.
(If you don't want rosemary and orange you can substitute cinnamon sticks, cardamom, pepper seed, or whatever spices you want to impart)

SpiderDude
AG
Made an Apricot flip tonight. Recipe called for 2oz cognac. I went half cognac half rye. Then .75oz Apricot liqueur, .5oz simple and 1 egg. More of a winter drink. Hey…one can dream of cooler weather right?!
txag2008
AG
A few years ago I got tired of googling cocktail recipes every time I wanted to make something. I started to compile a google sheet with different recipes in it (pretty nerdy, yes I realize). Some are from this thread, some are from other sites, some are replicated from restaurant cocktails.

Everything in here is pretty basic so it's nice that you don't have to have all sorts of crazy stuff to make them. I'm always adding to it if I come across something that sounds good.

I grouped things by type of liquor. The blue colored cells are meant to be edited based upon how many drinks you want to make and the oz will update accordingly. Will work fine on your iphone/ipad/laptop.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19jb5Ios2bSOFRF5yYOYKUZ7ridA0RlOVUYqHMXHZOU0/copy
HTownAg98
I recently picked up a bottle of Contratto, and I am loving this stuff. It's more on the orange side of bitter, and not nearly as bitter as Aperol or Campari. At 13.5% abv, it can make a lower alcohol drink that is damn tasty. The original drink that I wanted to try with it was called The Burnt Orange, and being the good Ag it shall not be called by that name. Instead, it will be The Italian Sunset.

6-7 oz club soda (I use Fever Tree bottles, but use whatever club soda you have.)
3 oz Prosecco
2 oz Contratto

Pour everything into a big bowl wine glass (a Burgundy glass works well for this) with plenty of ice. Stir gently, and garnish with an orange twist.

These go down way too easy, and are great when it's hot as **** and you want something refreshing that is better than an Aperol spritz.
Cromagnum
AG
Whole egg or just the white? Admittedly I've not had a cocktail that used the whole thing.
SpiderDude
AG
The whole shabang! The yolk gives it a nice thick creamy texture. It's sort of a fancy fruit infused nog honesty.
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

I've fallen in love with this one and it's been my go to after work drink. It is featured on the Moonshine in Cedar Park cocktail menu:

Stockyard Pony:
2 oz bourbon (theirs uses WT 101)
1 oz Aperol
1 oz Simple
1 oz Lemon juice
Orange bitters
Shake on ice and serve in coupe.

Moonshine changed the recipe and name of this drink to the Magnolia. The main change is the substitution of ginger syrup and the addition of grapefruit juice which compliments the Aperol nicely. I attempted the new version today and this is what I came up with:
2 oz Bourbon
.75 oz Aperol
1 oz Lemon
.75 oz ginger syrup
.75 oz grapefruit juice

I'm very happy with the result.
SpiderDude
AG
Wanted to make something with gin and yellow chartreuse. This is what I came up with. Not a bad first pass.
Cromagnum
AG
Interesting mix. Seem like it would be an herbal bomb though.
SpiderDude
AG
Yes. And? I love that style of cocktail. The main thing is you don't want to over sweeten it. Up the citrus a bit or it feels like you're trying to drink sweet perfume.
HTownAg98
When you make drinks with egg whites or whole eggs, do you dry shake the ingredients first, and then add the ice? It seems to be all the rage to add more body to a cocktail. I did that when I made a whiskey sour, and it was almost too thick; you could have eaten it with a spoon.
SpiderDude
AG
Dry shake is optimal. Did you use the whole egg white?! I'd only use 1/4 to 1/2 of an egg white. Otherwise yes... it gets a bit thick.
HTownAg98
Used the whole egg white. Will use less next time.
CactusThomas
AG
Just call it the Rocky Balboa.
SpiderDude
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Pro tip: when the weather gets colder save that yolk and use it to make a hand shaken egg nog!
Cromagnum
AG
Wife made some blueberry jam the other day and I came up with this from a combo of other ideas online.

"Maybe I got a little thyme"

1 tbsp of blueberry jam
2 oz of dry Gin
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp of fresh thyme
Strain, and top up with 2 oz of ginger beer.
Tibbers
Cromagnum said:

1 egg white.

Entire peel of 1 orange
1/4 cup fresh rosemary.

Try dry shaking the ingredients first for extra frothiness my friend!
HTownAg98
SpiderDude said:

HTownAg98 said:

Pro tip: when the weather gets colder save that yolk and use it to make a hand shaken egg nog!
Damn you. Like I need anything else to pack on pounds in winter.
SpiderDude
AG
Tell me about it! I just made my first ever attempt at Ninfa's Green Sauce and it was good enough that I ate wayyy too much of it!
MarathonAg12
I love SpiderDude's Cocktails

CactusThomas
AG
Sometimes simple is just the ticket.

The Spyglass

3oz gin (Tanqueray no. 10)
1oz allspice dram (St. Elizabeth's)

Stir and strain. Serve up. Thin lime slice for garnish.
Cromagnum
AG
CactusThomas said:

Sometimes simple is just the ticket.

The Spyglass

3oz gin (Tanqueray no. 10)
1oz allspice dram (St. Elizabeth's)

Stir and strain. Serve up. Thin lime slice for garnish.

I know what I'm drinking tonight.

ETA: I felt it needed more lime. I think milage varys greatly based on choice of gin. I did not have any left but bet that something like Monkey 47 would have been great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.