Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

148,079 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by txag2008
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously you're not using the rind!!!

But I do like that rim-sugar mix....
txam92
AG
A bartender friend of mine came up with this which I helped to name, called a Sangroni. The bartender said it had components of a Negroni, but when I tasted it, the cocktail, it reminded me of having a Sangria.... hence the name.

Prepare a highball glass with an ice cube or ice ball
1 part Gin: Gray Whale was used but key is to a botanical gin.
1 part White Lillac
1 part Strawberry infused Aperol.
To make this take a normal bottle of Aperol, pour it into something you can add approximately 10 strawberries to and leave overnight (Save the Aperol bottle). Once finished, take out the strawberries and pour the liquid back in the Aperol bottle and refridgerate.
1 part Hibiscus Puree. This is the difficult ingredient to find because I couldn't find it off the shelf. I had to order it from an online source: https://www.foodservicedirect.com/the-perfect-puree-sweet-hibiscus-30-ounce-251691.html
Stir a few times and strain into highball glass with the cube.
If it's a little to "ginny" for you, add a teaspoon of Benedictine.

It's a nice summer drink, that hopefully you enjoy.

SpiderDude
AG
When you say white lillac... did you mean Lillet Blanc?!
Chipotlemonger
AG
SpiderDude said:

Yea that's where I went in my mind too
txam92
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

SpiderDude said:

Yea that's where I went in my mind too

Yes. That's what I meant
SpiderDude
87Flyfisher
AG
I've had this great summery Southern cocktail several times at The Hound in Auburn, Alabama. I was finally able to get the recipe:

Creekwater

Ingredients
2 ounces Wild Turkey 101
1 ounce black tea syrup (recipe below)
1 ounce lemon juice
Lemon twist, for garnish (mint sprig is optional)

Directions
Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until well chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with lemon twist.

Black Tea Simple Syrup Recipe
Bring 1 cup water to boil and remove from heat. Add four bags black tea and allow to steep at least 10 minutes. Remove teabags and return to low heat. Add 1 cup sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Pour into a container and allow to cool. Extra syrup will keep for up to two weeks refrigerated.
G Martin 87
AG
SpiderDude said:

My BiL is in Barcelona with his wife. I told him to try to get into Paradiso, Sips or Two Schmucks. Paradiso was too hard to get into and they read reviews on Two Schmucks they didn't like. So they went back to their hotel bar. Passed on trying to get into 3 of the Top 10 Bars in the world. Barcelona is literally the center of the cocktail universe. But WTF do I know?!

https://www.worlds50bestbars.com/list/1-50
Just now catching up on the thread. We're heading to Japan and Hong Kong next month. Bar Benfiddich (#48) was already on my Tokyo to-do list.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Greenpoint (this is a fantastic drink)
2 oz Rye
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 dash each Angostura and Orange Bitters
Lemon Twist

Kill Devil (very boozy and herbal)
2 oz Rhum Agricole Blanc
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/4 oz Rech Demerara Syrup
3 dashes angostura bitters
5 drops of Wray and Nephew overproof rum

SpiderDude
AG
Man life's been busy and I've not had time to post much. I made some blender friendly cocktails in memory of Jimmy Buffet. First one was frozen margarita mix can with tequila, vodka, grapefruit and Tajin. Then a second but with lime and simple vs frozen mix. Then **** got real and I made a frozen clover club with berry compote, lemon juice, gin, vodka, St. Germaine and egg white. That's all she wrote.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Drinking a pretty dang good old fashioned in Okpo South Korea right now! They didn't have any rye whiskey but a good selection of bourbon, I went with maker's. Heading to Australia next week, will see if they have any good cocktails.
G Martin 87
AG
Report back! We met a great Aussie couple on the last day of our cruise before we disembarked in Singapore and became instant friends. They've invited us to Sydney whenever we can make it down under. They're wine drinkers, though. If there are any uniquely Australian cocktails, I'd love to know!
SpiderDude
AG
Say hi to Steve the Bartender.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Just landed back in the states. So my favorite place in Perth was a bar called Foxtrot Unicorn. It was built in an old bank building on the vault level below ground, pretty neat. I had an old fashioned there that had a piece of honeycomb that I can only describe as astronaut ice cream that tastes like honey. Didn't get a pic though.

Also had some really good wine but that's for another thread
Chipotlemonger
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Just landed back in the states. So my favorite place in Perth was a bar called Foxtrot Unicorn. It was built in an old bank building on the vault level below ground, pretty neat. I had an old fashioned there that had a piece of honeycomb that I can only describe as astronaut ice cream that tastes like honey. Didn't get a pic though.

Also had some really good wine but that's for another thread
You were in Perth? That's awesome. It is definitely a long trip from the states...I feel like going to Australia is one thing, but crossing the country to go all the way to Perth is another. Would love to explore that area of Australia one day!

Go talk about the Margaret River and other western Australia wines on the wine thread!
Cromagnum
AG
87Flyfisher said:

I've had this great summery Southern cocktail several times at The Hound in Auburn, Alabama. I was finally able to get the recipe:

Creekwater

Ingredients
2 ounces Wild Turkey 101
1 ounce black tea syrup (recipe below)
1 ounce lemon juice
Lemon twist, for garnish (mint sprig is optional)

Directions
Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until well chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with lemon twist.

Black Tea Simple Syrup Recipe
Bring 1 cup water to boil and remove from heat. Add four bags black tea and allow to steep at least 10 minutes. Remove teabags and return to low heat. Add 1 cup sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Pour into a container and allow to cool. Extra syrup will keep for up to two weeks refrigerated.

Isn't this basically just an alcoholic Arnold Palmer ?
SpiderDude
AG
Penicizzle. It's flu season after all.
AlaskanAg99
AG
While reading the Travel board I was reminded of this cocktail: Sourtoe.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sourtoe-cocktail

It's garnished with a real, severed and preserved, human toe. Several of my friends have had this but sadly I missed that road trip.
SpiderDude
AG
Today was a rough ****ing day. Sometimes you've just got to take your medicine... so that what I'm calling this Boulevardier riff:

Take Your Medicine
2:1:1
Rye: Amaro Lucano: Red Vermouth
Splash of cherry juice with orange peel and cherry garnish.
betadawg1
AG
Interesting take on a Pina Colada.

Pina Verde

Original Recipe:
.5 oz lime juice
.75 oz Coco Lopez
1.5 oz Pineapple Juice
1.5 oz Green Chartreuse

My take:
.75 oz lime juice
.5 oz Coco Lopez
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1.5 oz Green Chartreuse

Less sweet and more Chartreuse forward, which I prefer.

betadawg1
AG
Alaska

1.5 oz Dry Gin
.5 oz Yellow Chartreuse
2 dashes Orange Bitters
Lemon garnish

Nice take on a martini.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The old warm weather "keep it simple stupid" cocktail for me tonight.
Juice of 1 lime
Shot of gin
Throw both over ice and sip

We are in the waning days of gin weather for me, I don't drink it much at home outside of the warmer months.
SpiderDude
AG
Loving you some Chartreuse!!!
SpiderDude
AG
Was running low on lemon bitters. I was putting off making another batch. However this recipe is simple and straightforward. I dehydrated the lemon peel in my air fryer. The recipe called for orange but I didn't have organic orange... so I used extra lemons. NEVER use non-organic citrus because every last bit of pesticide/chemical will end up in your bitters when the neutral grain spirit hits it.

betadawg1
AG
Continuing with the Chartreuse cocktails.

Monte Cassino

It's an equal parts cocktail that could be the illegitimate child of the Last Word & Monte Carlo.

.75 oz lemon juice
.75 oz Benedictine
.75 oz Yellow Chartreuse
.75 oz Rye (American)

Shaken, double strained, and served with a lemon twist.
betadawg1
AG
Chef's Kiss

.75 oz lime juice
.75 oz Demerara syrup
.75 oz Fernet-Branca
.75 oz Yellow Chartreuse

Didn't have Demerara sugar so I used equal parts Turbinado & dark brown sugar and made a 1:1 syrup (by volume not weight)

SpiderDude
AG
For when you can't decide between bourbon or rye!

Cromagnum
AG
More of a party punch, but you can scale it. (Original recipe calls for 1 bottle each of the booze and 3 bottles of champagne)

Chatham Artillery Punch

1 part each bourbon, cognac, dark rum
1 part lemon juice
1 part lemon oleo saccharum
1 part black tea
3 parts dry champagne
Serve on ice. Garnish with fresh nutmeg or a maraschino cherry.
HTownAg98
That sounds dangerous. My kind of punch.
Cromagnum
AG
HTownAg98 said:

That sounds dangerous. My kind of punch.

I had one serving of it, and although I didn't feel it, it tasted like there was no booze in it. This is the one that smacks you on the face after you've downed 2 and start working on the 3rd once it's too late, especially if you are a lightweight.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Wife had a rough day at work. Made her a Part Time Lover

1.5 oz reposado tequila (La Gritona)
.5 oz Aperol
.5 oz St Germain
.75 oz lemon juice (I made a batch of super juice the other day)
Couple dashes Angustura

Perfect amount of bitter, tart and not too sweet. We also added a tajin rim, but I'm not sure if it's needed but it was a nice touch. I ended up adding about .25-.5 oz of simple for the wife, bc she likes things on the sweeter side but otherwise we were both big fans

SpiderDude
AG
A couple I made recently. Pistols at Dawn and Blood Orange Mexi-Mart.

G Martin 87
AG
SpiderDude said:

A couple I made recently. Pistols at Dawn and Blood Orange Mexi-Mart.
Both look beautiful, especially Pistols at Dawn. Love the glass you chose for presentation.
G Martin 87
AG
I've been helping my dad recuperate from foot surgery and a broken finger, so I've been staying with him the past few weeks. We've settled into a nice evening cocktail pattern, with OF being our standard go-to. Picked up a bottle of Longbranch (delightfully woody) last night and served this.
SpiderDude
AG
IYKYK.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.