Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,468 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really shows how little depth we have as a squad. This is terrible.
Thunder18
AG
Ayling escapes a card
Mathguy64
AG
McKennie might have been sent off in any other league. That's a very high and high speed exposed set of studs making contact.
planoaggie123
AG
Always a fan of US players but he has been a bit wild his first two games. Needs to take things down a notch.
Mathguy64
AG
And how is Banford not booked for that? Now Maguire retaliates.

This match is getting nasty.
oh no
AG
Should have been a pen on Maguire. Very lucky
Thunder18
AG
Gotta score those
Dre_00
At the end of the game, I'd like to see the final number of passes Maguire completed to De Gea. He's so uncomfortable with even a modicum of pressure and backpassing to your below average with he's feet goalie is a big problem.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

McKennie might have been sent off in any other league. That's a very high and high speed exposed set of studs making contact.

The speed of the epl is much faster than other leagues. He will learn or he will get a bunch of cards.
Furlock Bones
AG
United disjointed and slow to react. Leeds putting on the pressure with ease.
Mathguy64
AG
I can't express in words just how bad Maguire has been. He's singlehandedly putting DeGea in no man's land with these back passes.
Thunder18
AG
We look genuinely terrible today. Injuries and suspension combined with our very busy schedule is killing us
Mathguy64
AG
And Leeds blink first, taking their crappy striker off before we do.
Showstopper
AG
I kind of wish we'd take ours off…
Dre_00
I thought about that for Shaw but then he shouldn't be paired with Maguire. Unless he's resting Varane which is fine but now you're left with...this nonsense.
Mathguy64
AG
Superman.
Furlock Bones
AG
Rashie does it again.
Thunder18
AG
Rashford transformation to a complete striker has been awesome to watch
Furlock Bones
AG
Shaw with the pinpoint curling cross.
Thunder18
AG
Garnaaccchhooooo...Wout at the 10 has kinda been salty ngl
Furlock Bones
AG
Garnacho seals it!
Mathguy64
AG
Garnacho with the dagger. So this little shape change of dropping Weghorst a little deeper and underneath Rashford in the center and Garnacho wide left has made the difference.
boogieman
AG
10Hag's changes making a difference. I think we are in good hands.
Mathguy64
AG
7 points clear of Spurs and sitting on exactly a 2 points per match average. That's a top 4 pace.

It's not always pretty. Lord knows the first 65 minutes were brutally bad. The CB pairing and midfield with Fred and Sabitzer were a black hole. But the shape change with Weghorst dropping behind Rashford was sneaky good.
Dre_00
boogieman said:

10Hag's changes making a difference. I think we are in good hands.

It's so nice to have a manager who can manage as opposed to just send out good vibes.
Dre_00
So go figure, I missed the last 10 minutes of the game and therefore missed all the fun. That was dire for most of the game but getting 3 points when 4 of your starting spine is missing is very nice. Some random thoughts.

I love Lisandro Martinez. He's the perfect center back it's amazing how easy he makes defending look. Just supreme confidence that he'll snuff out whatever the opponent sends his way.

Maguire is a nice enough fellow but there's no way he should stay beyond the summer. It's not a revelation to say but it's so clear he has no future here as a starter. ETH is saying all the right things as he should but he's 4th choice CB at best. Sell him and move on.

ETH won't win manager of the season because of the miracle job Arteta is doing and that's fine. But my god what a manager. What he's done with Shaw and Rashford is phenomenal. Shaw is one of the best LBs in the league and even looks great at CB. Rashford is playing out of this world (21 goals in 34 appearances mostly as a left winger). Even Fred and AWB have improved massively since his arrival. He's rotated to near perfection and made so many tactical adjustments to salvage not only games but the season. The job he's done in 6 months has already banked him a huge amount of grace if any future failings occur.

Still lots to play for this season but hard not to get excited about the potential of this team and manager if they get proper owners, proper investment, and some key pieces. I would say most, if not all, of last summer's acquisitions have hit and if they hit at the same rate this summer...watch it. Clearly need at least one forward (probably need two), but would also add right winger, central mid and maybe young options at CB and RB who can press the starters in that position for playing time but not expect to start from day 1.
Dre_00
Behind a pay wall but the URL tells you all you need to know

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/02/13/qatar-will-bid-manchester-united-entirety/

Bid will be submitted by end of week according to the Telegraph
Thunder18
AG
I was really hoping Ratcliffe would be able to build and lead a consortium for a full ownership bid, not looking likely that he can outbid the Qataris though.
Showstopper
AG
Well rumor of the day is Elon Musk. So we have a rich real fan who talks about how he doesn't like to overpay for stuff, a few Middle East consortiums that will overpay for stuff, but kind of make you feel dirty, and a guy that overpaid for Twitter and is looking for his next distraction/hobby.

I have a feeling whoever wins, the reaction will be "well, not ideal, but at least it's not the Glazers." Unless the Glazers don't end up selling, and everyone just hates them even more. So, you know, that's what will probably end up happening.
Mathguy64
AG
Yea! We are rich!

Just ignore those pesky ethics. Isnt that how it works?
Dre_00
This would be problematic under normal circumstances but it will be really frustrating if/when we see the inevitable silence from the majority of fans should this go through.

The combination of being rid of the Glazers coupled with having access to an insane amount of funds will likely lead to a near complete disregard for the ethical baggage the owners would bring. And that silence will be even more apparent after 20 years of fan protests against the owner. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.
Dre_00
Sabitzer is suspended for 1st leg against Barca. Feel like that virtually locks 10 of the starting 11 (Fred likely to partner with Casemiro even if Sabitzer was available TBH). Only question is if Antony is back in time to start or if ETH has to start Sancho (or Garnacho but my feeling is that Garnacho starting such a big game is highly unlikely).
Dre_00
I've said it before but really is wild how many games United plays in quick succession because of the WC. And the upcoming run is going to be full of important games.

Tonight: 1st leg of EL against Barca
4 days after: Home to Leicester
4 days after: 2nd leg of EL against Barca
3 days after: League Cup Final
3 days after: 5th round of FA Cup against West Ham
4 days after: Away to Liverpool

I'm emotionally exhausted just from reading that list.
Mathguy64
AG
I believe we have played the most number of games of any team in any major league. And the longer we stay in EL and the FA cup the worse it gets.
Thunder18
AG
Honestly would not be mad about getting knocked out of Europa

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.