Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

82,766 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Dre_00
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Martial is french for "man who moves slower than slow"
Mathguy64
AG
So give Maguire away. Doesn't matter to who. Move Ronaldo for $0.20 on the $1.
Dre_00
What a performance. Not perfect but just leaps and bounds better than anything shown over the first 2 games. Light years better. Didn't even look like the same team.

Etch that backline in stone. They were immense and looked like they had been playing with each other for years. I don't want to see Shaw or Maguire in anything other than the Carabao Cup. Midfield is certainly still a massive work in progress. I would personally like to see Bruno benched for a game but we don't have that luxury at the moment. But an Eriksen - Casemiro - Fred midfield deserves a look, IMO.
jeffk
AG
Good showing, gents. You definitely earned the points today.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Watching the pre match show and the interview with EtH. This is a full on disfunctional **** show.

With Neville and Carra? I saw Sky teasing it.
Mathguy64
AG
Yep.
Dre_00
The word on the street here is that Ajax will soon agree to a 97 million EUR fee with United for Antony and then replace him with Ziyech on loan.
Dre_00
Bailly is officially off on loan to Marseille. Apparently Marseille has an obligation to buy if they make the CL.
Thunder18
AG
Upgraded our offer for Antony and apparently made an offer for Martin Dubravka...
Dre_00
I think the Antony deal happens. They aren't that far off the number that Ajax have quoted and it appears that Ajax may already have a replacement lined up (Ziyech on loan). Antony wants the move and it appears his agents have more or less agreed on a contract should a deal happen.

If he does arrive, my guess is that puts Rashford in a striker role more often and could put Sancho on the left more often. I've read a few articles discussing how ETH likes his wide men to pinch in to allow space for his fullbacks. Antony is left footed but plays on the right. He does this quite regularly. Moving Sancho to the left has the same effect.
Dre_00
Aston Villa in the 3rd round of the Carabao Cup. Play the kids. Unlikely to get a trophy this year and would rather focus on the other competitions.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Bailly is officially off on loan to Marseille. Apparently Marseille has an obligation to buy if they make the CL.

Well then I will be rooting for Marseille this year!

Good luck Eric!
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Aston Villa in the 3rd round of the Carabao Cup. Play the kids. Unlikely to get a trophy this year and would rather focus on the other competitions.

10 kids and Harry McGuire.
Dre_00
Martial is out tomorrow. Achilles injury which never sounds good. I'm guessing same front 3 as Liverpool unless Ronaldo can convince ETH that he's willing to run around a lot.

Casemiro is fit. My guess is he starts but doesn't go the full 90.
Thunder18
AG
Martial is always either hurt or out of form it seems
Dre_00
Ajax rejected a 90 million EUR bid for Antony. Apparently Antony is not happy. Who knows if United will up their bid. I get what Ajax is doing. Even admire it. But if United don't up their bid and move on to Gakpo, they could really regret it. Not because they need the money but because it usually doesn't work out well when you force a player to stay somewhere they don't want to.
Dre_00

So the transfer master interviewed Antony. Highlights are that Antony told Ajax in February he wants to leave Ajax. In June he reiterated that personally after ETH left. Ajax proposed a new contract but he refused. He told them today he wants to go but they refused. He feels it's unacceptable because it's a record fee for an Eredivisie player. Ajax says no because they can't find a replacement in 5 days.

I don't know how this will end but this could blow up in Ajax's face. If a player has been telling you since February he wants to leave, you're kind of effed.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I know it's easy to make United a punching bag over their transfer policy, but I'm very ok with them sticking to their guns and riding this one out. The kid wants to be at United. You keep after it…unlike FdJ who didn't want to come. Give me players that want to wear the shirt instead of hired guns with questionable loyalty
Dre_00
Agreed. I still think that 90 million is way too high but...Ajax's argument of there being only 5 days to find a replacement is kind of BS if Antony has indeed told them personally in June that he wants to move on if an acceptable offer arrives. They should've prepared for this by either lining up a Plan B or publicly saying "we're willing to sell Antony but only at this valuation and by this date" (like what Dortmund did with Sancho). Instead they stuck their head in the sand and just refused and that really doesn't work when a player really wants to go. They really need to cut their losses and come on....90 million is way more than he's worth. It would be a hit to their immediate futures but with their scouting, they could replenish quite quickly in what will be a very active post WC transfer window in January.
Dre_00
Same starting lineup today as against Liverpool. Can we play two good games in a row? It's the hope that kills you.
Mathguy64
AG
First time I've seen this highlighter kit live. Nothing like camouflaging yourself as the same color as the pitch.
Dre_00
The Europa League has not been kind to United in terms of travel. Trips to Cyprus and a proxy Russian state that borders Ukraine. Toughest stretch will be after the September break. @ City, @ Omonia mid week, then @ Everton.
Mathguy64
AG
4 blocked shots from the edge of the 6'. Oof.
Dre_00
Mathguy64
AG
A rare half with no added time. Correctly done at that.
Dre_00
Those 4 successive chances was literally all United could create. Elanga was poor and Sancho was double and triple teamed. Can only do so much when the other side is a black hole. Can see why ETH wants Antony. Need more quality options in attack.
Mathguy64
AG
Elanga needs to get a shot off there.
Mathguy64
AG
Bruno!
Dre_00
That was a beautiful build up and a beautiful goal.
Mathguy64
AG
Good thing we have a new DM because McTominay will be out for card accumulation in 2 weeks.
Dre_00
He'll be 2nd choice before then anyway.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ugly win. But I'll take it.
Mathguy64
AG
That was a workmanlike win. Defensively it was solid.

Either Ronaldo isn't fit or physically he's done. Send him somewhere he can play in CL.
Dre_00
Didn't have an attempt on goal after Bruno scored in 55th. Definitely a winning ugly type of game but I ain't mad. We're going have a lot of ugly over the next several months (at least) so need to learn to win when we do.

Defensively we look so much more solid. Part of that is adjustments ETH has made (he isn't forcing his preferred style nearly as much) but the new backline is playing a large part as well.
Mathguy64
AG
It's amazing what changing one CB has done. Yes its been more than changing Maguire on the back line but Martinez actually looks engaged with Varane and looks like he wants to play defense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.