Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,316 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And Ronaldo makes it 3. First shot is saved but he puts in his own rebound.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Garnacho really impressed me. Aggressive, some fantastic runs and great presence on the ball.

It was nice to VdB getting a little run. I'm still hopeful for that kid
Dre_00
Agreed...Garnacho did really well. He earned more playing time with that performance. I like VdB but he has a tough road to hoe at United even with ETH as his manager. He's going to be getting table scraps for minutes unless Bruno and/or Eriksen get injured.
Dre_00
Lindelof is sick so it's a start for Maguire. Ronaldo also starts and Antony has a "slight" injury so Elanga takes his place (no Sancho is telling...the man has been at best "meh" for a month).

Maguire and Ronaldo in the starting 11...hold on to your butts.
Mathguy64
AG
Less than 2 minutes in and Maguire got caught standing at midfield.
Mathguy64
AG
And he just got caught out again.
Mathguy64
AG
Rashford. That's been coming.

100 goals.
Mathguy64
AG
I guess kicking a player in the head isn't a foul anymore.
Thunder18
AG
Should be sent off
Mathguy64
AG
World class save by De Gea.
PatAg
AG
that save is insane
PatAg
AG
AGAIN!
Mathguy64
AG
DDG is the MOTM and it's not up for discussion. Those were 2 world class saves at the end.
Dre_00
Missed the 1st half but that 2nd half...or at least the last 20 minutes or so, sent my down memory lane. Back to a time where everyone was saying "Man, United suck but where would they be without David De Gea?"

Happy with the 3 points but we played really poorly the last 20 minutes or so. McTominay coming on for Elanga was weird. That and bringing Antonio on for Scamacca seemed to turn the tide against us. We'll need a much better performance on Thursday.
Dre_00
Will be interesting to see how ETH manages the roster with a must win coming up against Sociedad and a Bruno suspension coming in a week against Villa.
Aston94
AG
Do you think that they will treat Real Soc game as a must win? They only way they catch Real is with a 2 goal difference. They have qualified for knockout, and I know you want to finish top for seeding, but is it worth wearing out your top players for upcoming EPL matches?

Mathguy64
AG
Saw an interesting story today. Pogba has not played a single minute for Juve this season and will now miss the WC. He's recovering from knee surgery.

Dude is a mercurial talent and had the ability to drop 60 yard dimes better than anyone I have ever seen.
Dre_00
I believe that ETH has said he really wants to avoid the extra games of a playoff with a team that drops down from the CL. But you're right, I had forgotten that away goals head to head isn't a tiebreaker anymore so indeed we have to win by 2. That said, there are only 2 EPL games left before the WC and they are 7 days apart. The mid-week game next week is the League Cup and my guess is that will be deprioritized.

I think ETH goes for it to try but if we're down 1 or 2 goals earlyish in the 2nd, it is probably wise to save some legs.
Dre_00
Ironically, we finally have a manager who can play to his strength and a world class defensive mid for him to pair with but he isn't here to take advantage of it. Pogba playing the Eriksen role with Casemiro to support? That could have been something.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Ironically, we finally have a manager who can play to his strength and a world class defensive mid for him to pair with but he isn't here to take advantage of it. Pogba playing the Eriksen role with Casemiro to support? That could have been something.
I prefer Eriksen playing the Eriksen role. Oddly enough, the guy with the major heart issue is much more reliable than Pogba.

I love Pogba, or at least love his potential, but he just isn't ever going to be able to be a consistent performer.
Dre_00
Missed most of the 1st half but didn't expect a Van de Beek start. Garnacho scored a wonderful 1st goal and United lead 1-0 at HT. De Gea with a ridiculous double save late in the 1st with the second using his head.
Dre_00
We have exactly 1 SOG sooooo...not exactly taking it to them it would seem.
AG
ref letting them get away with a lot. Garnacho should have been called just a bit ago.. and then the revenge tackle on Martinez resulted in a card, but should have been on Lisandro.

both teams are pressing though
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Thunder18
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

ref letting them get away with a lot. Garnacho should have been called just a bit ago.. and then the revenge tackle on Martinez resulted in a card, but should have been on Lisandro.

Lisandro did get carded. Mendez is a little ***** tho
AG
Thunder18 said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Lisandro did get carded. Mendez is a little ***** tho
meant to say shouldnt have been. he got clobbered high.
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Dre_00
Real Sociedad is 5th in La Liga so shouldn't be surprised this is a tough away game but definitely feels more like a 1-1 at this point than a 2-0. Things are not going well.
Thunder18
AG
I ****ing HATE playing Spanish teams. Biggest flopping ******* ever
Dre_00
If this stands at 1-0, we'll effectively finish 2nd in the group because we let Omonia score 2 goals against us.
AG
Slabhead as a striker. thats something i never thought i'd see...
Dre_00
Thunder18 said:

Between this ****ty ref and the emphatic falls, this game has some serious CONCACAF vibes.
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

Thunder18 said:

Between this ****ty ref and the emphatic falls, this game has some serious CONCACAF vibes.

The refs allow them to ****house like this every time
Dre_00
Well, that means we'll be playing one of...

Ajax
Bayer Leverkusen
Barcelona
Sporting Lisbon
RB Salzburg
Shakhtar Donetsk
Sevilla
Juventus

in mid-February. Not looking forward to that if I'm honest.
planoaggie123
AG
Stinks but if we are serious about growth we need to be able to beat these teams....worst case...you lose and then you can focus on ensuring Champions through premier league...
Dre_00
I agree in the long run but I'd frankly rather focus on the league right now. I don't think we have the roster to manage all these games or seriously challenge for the Europa League.
planoaggie123
AG
Agree.

I struggle with what I want. Maybe be matched up with the best of those teams and lose a close but well contested match then focus on league. League is far more important than Europa and our depth is just not there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.