Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

82,006 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It can't get any worse can it? (It probably can)

Help us Erik ten Hag, you're our only hope.
Thunder18
ja86
byfLuger41
AG
Juan
Dre_00
From the club so take it with a grain of salt. What I will say is that I don't think he's going to have a high tolerance or any patience for any ****ing around from the players. He has a way he wants to do things and he demands high effort and high commitment. Get on board or get out.

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/part-1-erik-ten-hag-first-interview-as-man-utd-manager?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter
boogieman
AG
Will be an interesting offseason to see who stays and who goes.
BJM1781
AG
We need to unload at least 10 players. This squad is way too bloated.
Dre_00
Here's hoping that Woodward's exit will get rid of that ridiculous "retain fringe players to inflate the club's value" policy.
Dre_00
Not sure this qualifies as "news" BBC ticker guy. We've all known this for quite some time.

ja86
Mathguy64
AG
Now that is funny. The one after it saying "weather rain everywhere" is good too.
Mathguy64
AG
The club officially announced that Rangnick will not return as a consultant and had moved on to coaching the Austrian NT.
Dre_00
I think he easily could have managed both...to me this smells more like ETH didn't want him around. The man seems to be hyper detailed with a very clear idea of what he wants and what he doesn't. Rangnick is just another voice to complicate the implementation of his ideas and wishes.
Furlock Bones
AG
So here we are and no business done. New manager. And all we have is this.

Dre_00
It's been a whole week. Nothing was going to happen in a week. I mean I'm not optimistic that a lot will happen in an entire transfer season but definitely not expecting anything to happen in a week.

United did announce a new deputy director of football. No idea if he'll be any good but it's encouraging that they actually have one considering they didn't even have a director of football a year ago let alone a deputy director.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

It's been a whole week. Nothing was going to happen in a week. I mean I'm not optimistic that a lot will happen in an entire transfer season but definitely not expecting anything to happen in a week.

United did announce a new deputy director of football. No idea if he'll be any good but it's encouraging that they actually have one considering they didn't even have a director of football a year ago let alone a deputy director.

How many weeks ago was it that we were definitely "buying de Jong"? While other clubs get stuff done ahead of time, we are always screwing around until the end.
Thunder18
AG
De Jong apparently wants to stay at Barca. I know we shouldn't expect quick and easy transfers but it sure does seem like we have to work harder and longer to get ours across the finish line
Furlock Bones
AG
Pogba gone. Lingard gone.
Dre_00
Who told you we were definitely buying de Jong?I follow a number of reputable sources and none of them said that de Jong was anywhere near definite. The issue has always been, and this has been obvious from day 1, that de Jong doesn't want to leave Barca especially for a non-CL team. The entire rumor has hinged on Barca's financial difficulties and the fact he played under ETH. I don't have a problem with ETH/United pursuing him and trying to convince him to come over as long as they don't waste months doing so. Weeks fine...but not months. I mean they probably will pursue him for months and not get him but not going to get mad at them yet for that.
Dre_00
Pogba and Lingard departures not exactly a surprise but that's a lot of wages off the wage bill at least. Pogba's United career epitomizes the asshattery that has been going on at Unite for the last 10 years.

Left as a youth player for free at the end of SAF's career. Became a star in Italy. Paid 75 million for him to come back. Left on a free 5 years later.

Such a shame. He could/should have been a United legend with anything resembling a reasonably functioning club.
Furlock Bones
AG
I know to only really trust Fabrizio Romano on transfers. But still. Every year, I see Man city, liverpool, chelsea even Aston Villa this year have guys agreed to terms before the window even opens. They have their targets and they get them committed and ready to sign as soon as possible. United screw around so much its almost unbelievable.
Thunder18
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I know to only really trust Fabrizio Romano on transfers. But still. Every year, I see Man city, liverpool, chelsea even Aston Villa this year have guys agreed to terms before the window even opens. They have their targets and they get them committed and ready to sign as soon as possible. United screw around so much its almost unbelievable.
Furlock Bones
AG
We better get De Jong quickly. Because reports are coming out we have put all other transfers on hold until we get him done. Amazing we can't do more than one at a time.
Mike Elko
AG
Thoughts on CR7 staying? Somewhat surprised since no CL next season, but sounds like he wants to end his career in Manchester.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm fine with it. We have no proven goal scorer outside of him. Also sounds like he's been trying to push the club to be better since he came back. Like the story that the hot tub and recovery pool had not been redone in the entire time he was gone.
Thunder18
AG
De Jong doesn't want to leave Barcelona, if we're really not pursuing any other targets just to focus on him that would be infuriating
Furlock Bones
AG
Thunder18 said:

De Jong doesn't want to leave Barcelona, if we're really not pursuing any other targets just to focus on him that would be infuriating

That's the word. He wants to stay at Barca but they don't have money. So they are looking to sell him in order to get a couple of more players.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Pogba and Lingard departures not exactly a surprise but that's a lot of wages off the wage bill at least. Pogba's United career epitomizes the asshattery that has been going on at Unite for the last 10 years.

Left as a youth player for free at the end of SAF's career. Became a star in Italy. Paid 75 million for him to come back. Left on a free 5 years later.

Such a shame. He could/should have been a United legend with anything resembling a reasonably functioning club.
I put a lot of the blame of the club not being a reasonably functioning clubb at the feet of Pogba. They paid him to be a central figure, but he never was willing to put in the effort to be a consistent performer.

There are lots of issues with the club, but Pogba is surely at fault as well.
Aston94
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Thoughts on CR7 staying? Somewhat surprised since no CL next season, but sounds like he wants to end his career in Manchester.
Who is going to take over his wages? He didn't have a lot of options at the $ amount he requires.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00
Pogba is absolutely not without fault in all of this but I don't think he had much if anything to do with United being a poorly run club. They were poorly run well before his 2nd appearance at United. I mean in theory, if you pay 80 million (or whatever it was) to bring back a player that was in your youth team at one point, you do so knowing pretty well what you're getting and how to minimize any negative qualities he brings. Because you've seen it before, you know what you're getting into, and you can plan for it. Other than Juventus, what club other than United had a better look into what would be necessary to unlock his potential and minimize his weaknesses? And yet they STILL effed it up royally.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Pogba is absolutely not without fault in all of this but I don't think he had much if anything to do with United being a poorly run club. They were poorly run well before his 2nd appearance at United. I mean in theory, if you pay 80 million (or whatever it was) to bring back a player that was in your youth team at one point, you do so knowing pretty well what you're getting and how to minimize any negative qualities he brings. Because you've seen it before, you know what you're getting into, and you can plan for it. Other than Juventus, what club other than United had a better look into what would be necessary to unlock his potential and minimize his weaknesses? And yet they STILL effed it up royally.
I feel like we are saying the same thing. I am certainly not arguing that United was run well over the last 5-6 years, just don't want to see Pogba avoid blame. When he is interested, there is no player I love watching play more. Problem is that happens so rarely.

And to be fair, if my memory serves me correctly (it has been a while), United did not want him to leave the first time, he refused to resign with the club. And he was only 19, so I would not expect the Pogba of 24-25 when he returned to be the immature Pogba of 19, but he was, maybe even more so.
Dre_00
Fair...we probably are. And you're right, we did want to re-sign Pogba the first time. If I remember correctly, he didn't re-sign because he had a bit of a falling out with SAF and he wanted a significant role in the first team which SAF wasn't prepared to give him.

He became a first team regular from day 1 at Juventus and excelled. I think the reason he left was more due to his behavior, mindset clashing with SAF more than anything else...kind of like RVN or Beckham to an extent. Players who were clearly talented and had plenty to offer United but were shipped out. Was painful to watch him blossom immediately at Juventus while we're bringing back a 37 year old Paul Scholes out of retirement to bolster our midfield.
Dre_00
So in theory, United have given themselves to mid-June to sign de Jong from Barca, Barca is willing to let him go for 80 million EUR but de Jong isn't convinced that leaving Barca for United is a move he wants or should make (can't blame him).

So one week...if ETH can't convince de Jong in the next week, then he's never going to convince him and we should all just move on. I think we'll get a glimpse relatively soon if United have actually changed any of their old ways.
Furlock Bones
AG
It certainly sounds like United is the same old United.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.