Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,278 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1 hour and 55 minutes...that's how long my public display of optimism lasted.
AGC
AG
If this were Barca of the past maybe…but they aren't. They're asking stars for more salary reductions. I'm pretty sure Tebas said they won't be able to sign lewandoski.

They're desperate for cash and they don't have a ton of players they can move to make it. Lots of guys on high salaries don't want to leave. Might not be as long a battle as you think.
Furlock Bones
AG
Another player we are trying to get that we probably can't.

Dre_00
On the plus side we won't waste much time on him because he'll likely laugh at United in the first 5 minutes and sign the Liverpool contract in the next 5.
Furlock Bones
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
Sounds like the right attitude.

Thunder18
AG
Friendly daily reminder that all of our rivals are signing new players while we are hoping to convince players unwanted by their own clubs to join us for undoubtedly over inflated transfer fees
deadbq03
AG
Thunder18 said:

Friendly daily reminder that all of our rivals are signing new players while we are hoping to convince players unwanted by their own clubs to join us for undoubtedly over inflated transfer fees
That's not entirely true. My daily searches for Leipzig news tell me that y'all are still seriously considering paying 100M pounds for Nkunku this summer even though he just signed a new contract which makes his buyout 50M pounds next summer.
Furlock Bones
AG
Thunder18 said:

It's the familiarity that makes me feel good.
Thunder18
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Thunder18 said:

It's the familiarity that makes me feel good.
Dre_00
It appears we have offered Christian Eriiksen a contract.

I think he's a fantastic player and it's incredible to watch him return after his horrible incident. But I believe he primarily plays in a more advanced role in midfield. His position is more similar to Bruno than to de Jong. So while I absolutely wouldn't mind adding him, I don't see how you can play both Bruno and Eriksen without getting imbalanced and especially considering the other midfielders on the roster. This better not be an "instead of" thing nor should it be for a big contract. There are a lot of other areas that are more pressing.
akm91
AG
How does ten Hag set up his team? Seems like there needs to be a pretty drastic overhaul of players.
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

I think he's a fantastic player and it's incredible to watch him return after his horrible incident. But I believe he primarily plays in a more advanced role in midfield. His position is more similar to Bruno than to de Jong. So while I absolutely wouldn't mind adding him, I don't see how you can play both Bruno and Eriksen without getting imbalanced and especially considering the other midfielders on the roster. This better not be an "instead of" thing nor should it be for a big contract. There are a lot of other areas that are more pressing.

Saw that and had the same thought, it's the Pogba/Bruno issue all over again. We need a freaking DM
Mathguy64
AG
We have one. His name is Fred.
Furlock Bones
AG
And here we are folks.

LouisHerbertWong
AG
Pogba free transfer to Juventus official (4 years). Pochettino sacked (was reportedly United's top choice, but PSG contract was an issue).
Mathguy64
AG
If Poch couldn't make it work with the roster he had at PSG, bringing him here to deal with the one we have would be a disaster.
Thunder18
AG
Meet the new boss...same as the old boss...
Furlock Bones
AG
And it's sounding like the United bosses got played once again. Here we are and still not a single player signed in one of our biggest rebuilding jobs ever.

Thunder18
AG
Shambolic
Dre_00
Well, I said let's give them 2 weeks and after it 2 weeks it appears that United are "patient" and see this lasting the whole summer.

What a ****astic football club we support.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Well no doubt United needs a strong CDM. I saw that City is in talks for Kalvin Phillips. Would be nice to get him instead of him going to City, especially if de Jong doesn't pan out.

If Eriksen were on the field then maybe Fernandes would move up into a second forward position?

Mathguy64
AG
It's like they have so many things to fix they don't know what to fix first. They are frozen stiff. I wonder if ETH is regretting his choice.
Thunder18
AG
Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

Well no doubt United needs a strong CDM. I saw that City is in talks for Kalvin Phillips. Would be nice to get him instead of him going to City, especially if de Jong doesn't pan out.

If Eriksen were on the field then maybe Fernandes would move up into a second forward position?

Phillips won't join us because he's a Leeds guy through and through, almost assuredly he'll end up riding the bench at City
Dre_00
Apparently Richard Arnold was talking to some United supporters in a pub and they secretly recorded. Effectively said that United had blown through a billion pounds with nothing to show for it and that last season was a nightmare...amongst other things.

https://www.football365.com/news/richard-arnold-billion-pound-fing-nightmare-man-united-secret-film-footage
Mathguy64
AG
Well the comment amount blowing a billion isn't wrong or a hidden fact. Most salary tracking sites show last years salary alone at roughly $250MM or 220MM pounds and that's a wage bill so it doesn't include transfer fees to other clubs or agents or whoever else dips their hands in the cookie jar. And the last 10 years have been a **** show. A billion is a conservative figure. Spending money isn't our problem. It's spending it wisely. And now they have so much money tied up in so many bad contracts they can't get out from under it quickly without a massive fire sale for $0.10 on the $1. A fix 5 years ago would have taken 5 years. A fix today will still take 5 years.

The fact that he openly said it and the rest he said? That's the shocker.
Furlock Bones
AG
any new signings? checking...checking...checking...nope. instead we got an impromptu pub meeting with Richard Arnold flatly telling supporters the club is a damned dumpster fire.

i have to apologize to posters like dre and aston who have been ringing the bell for years that the Glazers were pure trash and practicing financial malfeasance with clubs money and resources. they were always right.
Thunder18
AG
Still chugging away at FDJ...rival clubs doing multiple big name deals and we are just laser focused on arguing with Barcelona for a guy that doesn't want to play for us. It's infuriating
Dre_00
Yeah the surprise was definitely more that he said and that he actively admitted to holding the opinion...not that it was the wrong opinion.

In some ways, it gives me some comfort. At least the new guy realizes that the last 10 years have been criminally poor. So there's hope that at least he'll mess up in a different way rather than in the same way.
Dre_00
I appreciate the shout out but I must admit that I wasn't a Glazers hater from Day 1 like many were. I gave them several seasons worth of leeway. But I feel like I mostly realized their horribleness multiple seasons ago.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not a Glazer hater at all. They have spent money. It's Woodard and that side that are spending it poorly. Look at Maguire. They kneejerked him for $80MM in direct response to VVD. They drug it out and did it late and cost themselves more money. And nobody (Woodward included) made Maguire go to Greece and get in trouble and have it mess with him on the field n

We spend money. We just spend it like a drunk in Bangkok. Without doing our due diligence and way too late.
Aston94
AG
Yeah, I don't want to sound too harsh on the Glazer's, they have been willing to spend money. But I wonder if the money was spent to win championships or was the money spent to sell jerseys in China? Re-signing Ronaldo and many of the other decisions you just wonder what the real intention was.

So I don't know if blame should fall on the GLazers or the management team they put in place, but obviously money was poorly spent, time and time again.

Dre_00
Aston94 said:

Yeah, I don't want to sound too harsh on the Glazer's, they have been willing to spend money. But I wonder if the money was spent to win championships or was the money spent to sell jerseys in China? Re-signing Ronaldo and many of the other decisions you just wonder what the real intention was.

So I don't know if blame should fall on the GLazers or the management team they put in place, but obviously money was poorly spent, time and time again.

Emphasis added because I think that's the area they deserve the most blame with a not so distant second being the debt they've burdened the club with.

I won't rehash the second because it's been done to death and we aren't going to change minds here. But it is (or should be) unequivocally obvious that they had run this club far too commercially and far too much like a business. Money spent has gone to serve business goals and only served a sporting need in so much as that sporting need also met a business goal.

I mean the policy of re-signing fringe players just so they could retain their book/transfer value tells you all you need to know about their priorities.
Furlock Bones
AG
Huge news finally!!!!!

The new socks have leaked!
Mathguy64
AG
City is so good and loaded they are jettisoning Gabby Jesus and Sterling. We can't sign anyone and are incapable of unloading even the deadest of dead wood.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.