Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,325 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This match is beyond slow. There are 22 players all trying to get into an area 44 yds x 18 yds.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm amazed how often United just completely lose the midfield and thus control of the game.
Furlock Bones
AG
Sancho has been another massive bust.
Mathguy64
AG
Our spacing at both ends is awful. Offensively everything is packing in with everyone on top of each other. Defensively we are in our own way and leaving people totally unmarked.
Furlock Bones
AG
Oh great Try Hard is coming on for Martial. He'll surely score zero goals and make zero assists.
Aston94
AG
I am genuinely curious why you two watch the games.
Mathguy64
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Sancho has been another massive bust.
Dortmund has made a killing selling very expensive and very underwhelming wingers and mids to PL teams. Mhki, Sancho, Pulisic all have been busts. I would be very leery of Bellingham.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aston94 said:

You're enjoying this?!
Aston94
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Aston94 said:

You're enjoying this?!

I take it for what it is. United are a club that has played more matches than any other club in Europe this season, it's a late season match, we are without our top scorer. We are controlling the game (65-70% possession) and have a 1-0 lead.

Is it the best game we have ever played? No, but 3 points will do.
Mathguy64
AG
Good lord. Antony seems to be clearly going in on goal 1v1 and cuts it back into the defender because he is on his right foot.
Aston94
AG
Antony frustrates me like no other.
Furlock Bones
AG
Not only did Antony cut it back. But were the other United players. There should have been 2-3 other guys coming in behind him making runs.
Mathguy64
AG
He's the most one footed pro I have ever seen.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bruno not having one of his better games.
Mathguy64
AG
That's is not a foul by Weghorst. That ball is in the air and he is in better position than the GKer. What a crock.
Furlock Bones
AG
McFred on to see this out. Oh dear lord in heaven
Aston94
AG
3 points is 3 points!

Liverpool is losing so I think that would clinch Champions League qualification.
Aston94
AG
Check that, Liverpool tie it up.
Mathguy64
AG
Pool just tied it up.
Mathguy64
AG
Everton at 98:58. Crazy.
Aston94
AG
So need one point from last 2 matches to assure CL spot.
zachsccr
AG
Sleepy Sancho needs to stay as a sub so Garnacho can gain more experience. Kid makes things happen.

Our finishing was abysmal. We need another to compliment Rashford. Had Rashford played, 2-3 more goals easy. 100% he finishes that Antony breakaway. O
jeffk
AG
Aston94 said:

So need one point from last 2 matches to assure CL spot.

I firmly believe y'all have two losses left in you.
Furlock Bones
AG
Yep. That home draw was a massive result for us.
Dre_00
Wasn't able to watch the game but sounds like it was more of the same...which isn't surprising. This team is just grinding. A team of effectively 16 players (that's all ETH ever plays) who have played 60 games and, until this week, played a game every 3-4 days between mid-December and mid-May. That team isn't going to get better in April or May. That team is just trying to survive.

Just need one more point. Hopefully we get it Thursday so we can rest players Sunday and then pray that a little extra rest and the motivation of not handing City a treble will be enough to not get steamrolled on June 3rd.

Still, if we manage to get one more point, a 4th place finish and a League Cup trophy has to be considered a significant success given the state of the club at this point last season.
Dre_00
French publication reporting that United and PSG are working on a Neymar deal. Could be a loan (with or w/o option to buy). Apparently Casemiro has been trying to convince him to join.

I am underwhelmed. A loan might be somewhat tolerable but even a loan will likely carry a significant loan fee and salary chunk that United will have to play. He's not an outright forward (even if he does play there) and his best position is likely the one position where we have reasonable talent. You bring him in, you are either shifting him or Rashford to something other than their favorite position and you are stunting Garnacho's development.

I get it. It's Neymar. But...at 31 with so many other holes in the roster this screams of an Ed Woodward deal looking for shiny toys that don't actually work.
Aston94
AG
Or.......

---------------------------------------Kane-------------------------------

Rashford--------------------Neymar------------------Fernandez

-------------Eriksen---------------Casemiro-------------------------

Neymar tucked in behind Kane, Rashford providing speed and ability to stretch defense, Fernandez out wide on right where he is very effective, Eriksen and Casemiro jumping in, AND Antony and Martial sold?!?

I could live with that.
jeffk
AG
Seems really old, but okay.
Dre_00
Disagree. Our midfield already struggles progressing the ball and linking defense to the attack. That midfield is going to be even worse at it.
Aston94
AG
You think replacing Martial with Kane and Antony with Neymar would cause us to have more trouble progressing the ball? Really?

Sorry, but Fernandez and Neymar progressing the ball sounds a lot better to me, so yes, I do think our ball progression would be out of this world. We have too many wingers that are speed guys and if they can't run past you then they are a bit lost. That line up is a lot more progressive with the ball to me.
Aston94
AG
Get out of here!

I did a quick age check, this would be the age of that group at beginning of EPL season:

Kane--30
Rashford--25
Neymar--31
Fernandes--28
Erksen--31
Casemiro--31

In today's football they are still in prime, and could be for 2-3 years after. But we know as much as players are bought/sold that it is really a year by year proposition anymore.
jeffk
AG
I say go for it! No way that goes sideways.
Thunder18
AG
This whole argument is silly. In the less than 5% likelihood chance of Neymar to United, you have to realize that he would be injured and unavailable for long periods of time, just like Martial and Pogba
Dre_00
Aston94 said:

You think replacing Martial with Kane and Antony with Neymar would cause us to have more trouble progressing the ball? Really?

Sorry, but Fernandez and Neymar progressing the ball sounds a lot better to me, so yes, I do think our ball progression would be out of this world. We have too many wingers that are speed guys and if they can't run past you then they are a bit lost. That line up is a lot more progressive with the ball to me.
No, I think shoehorning Neymar into a team doesn't solve one of our most dire problems (Kane does...so leave him out of it) and rather it amplifies one of our biggest problems. Just look at what happens anytime Eriksen doesn't play or, when he gets tired round about the 60th minute. We consistently lose all control of the midfield and thereby all control of the game. We completely lose any ability to connect the defensive third with the offensive third. Neymar doesn't solve that. In fact, he makes it worse. Because to shoehorn him into a team with Rashford, you've moved Fernandes to the right. Fernandes in the middle at least drops deep often and plays glory balls from the middle when we regain possession in the defensive third. Neymar likely isn't going to be doing even that with the frequency that Fernandes does. We have at least 3 or 4 roster holes. We need at least one good forward. We need an upgrade a goalie. We need more (and better) players like Eriksen in midfield. We need a winger to at least compete with Antony if not supplant him as starter. Left winger and attacking midfield are probably the least of our concerns.

Listen to jeff. He's watched enough Liverpool games to know what happens when you have top a heavy team that has talent in the forward positions but no (or significantly less) talent in midfield.

jeffk
AG
Sure do! That central midfield triangle in the diagram above is older than our Henderson-Thiago-Fabinho trifecta.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.