Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,314 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, I just love the fire Martinez plays with. After several DDH saves, LM was in his chest pounding on him, or after guys made clearances he was right on top of the guys. Just pure energy. To say nothing of his actual play which has been stellar and should only get better.
PatAg
AG
I just cant bring myself to get up at 6:30 on a weekend for these games, I dont even think Id do it for the Cowboys or the Ags.
planoaggie123
AG
So that was my first game this season. Despite the start to the year enjoyed seeing several new faces along with seeing Fred and McGuire on the bench.

Agree with Martinez on his play.

Seems we still lack any sort of clinical striker but maybe this season won't be a complete train wreck.
Dre_00
We're about to head into a heavy period of Thursday - Sunday games. We need more bodies especially in the front 3. With Arsenal coming next weekend, I gotta think we'll see a lot of changes against Leicester. Maybe a Casemiro-Fred midfield or even a Ronaldo start if he's still at the club Thursday night.
jeffk
AG
Blessings through your heavy period.
Dre_00
I should edit my post to leave yours there without any context
Dre_00
Dutch source claiming that Antony has been sold but no details other than "Antony is gone".

I mean...he could mean that he's...gone to the store.
Dre_00

That's a lot of money. Early of course but ETH's first 2 signings that he recommended seem to be working out well. Let's hope this makes it 3.

This will make it 5 players brought in this summer. I'm not happy with when we've brought them in and I'm not happy with the amount we've paid. But that is a sizable chunk of needed players. Ultimately if they succeed this season, no one will care that they cost 30 million more than they should have or came in 4 weeks too late.
Furlock Bones
AG
And it's done. 100mm.
Mathguy64
AG
Newest member of Ajax United.
Dre_00
I think I prefer Ajaxster United.
Dre_00
Today's "low probability of truth but would be interesting" rumor is a straight swap of AWB and Dest with Barca. Probably about the best realistic return I could think of for Dest.
Dre_00
Hannibal goes on loan to Birmingham. United are looking to sign him to a new contract. Dubravka likely to be finalized soon. Newcastle has agreed to a loan with a 5 million GBP buy option. Dubravka and United have more or less agreed on the contract.

Dubravka would be 6 in with an outside chance of a forward and right back as well. Didn't expect this many signings if I'm honest.
KCup17
AG
I'm kind of surprised by the Dubravka deal but he is clearly 2nd behind Nick Pope. Pope has been playing out of his mind too.
Mathguy64
AG
KCup17 said:

I'm kind of surprised by the Dubravka deal but he is clearly 2nd behind Nick Pope. Pope has been playing out of his mind too.
I'm not surprised. We only have 18 GKs on the payroll and apparently there is no bag limit.
akm91
AG
akm91 said:

I'm actually surprised ManU hasn't tried to moneywhip de Jong into signing.
Well apparently they were saving it in order to ship it off to Ajax and Real Madrid.
Dre_00
Ajax gotta rename one of their stands after the Glazers given how much they've given to the club.
akm91
AG
Glazer Field in Johan Cruijff Arena has a nice sound to it
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Ajax gotta rename one of their stands after the Glazers given how much they've given to the club.

The Joel End featuring the Joelies!
Dre_00
Antony will bring goals, trickery and defensive intensity to Man United

The highlights for those that don't have a subscription

• Antony is fast, likes to beat a defender with skill rather than cross, and presses/defends well
  • A capable but not great scorer
  • Will likely play on the right, moving Sancho to the left, thus providing 2 wide forwards who will like to cut inside allowing full backs to push up into the space they vacated

This means Rashford is probably going to see less starts. Or at least won't be starting by de facto as there are more options now. But he's versatile enough that he'll likely play a lot especially with the uncertainties around Martial and Ronaldo.

But an eventual front 6 of

------------Martial/Rashford---------

--Sancho-----Bruno------Antony---

-----Casemiro---Fred/Eriksen------

is quite interesting if you ask me.
Dre_00
Another piece on Antony. Found it interesting and it's free to watch.

Dre_00
It appears that Garner will be off to Everton for about 15 million GBP if he can agree to personal terms. I'm a little worried that we'll look back in a couple of years and wish we hadn't sold him. But he clearly isn't going to get playing time in this team this season.
Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

It appears that Garner will be off to Everton for about 15 million GBP if he can agree to personal terms. I'm a little worried that we'll look back in a couple of years and wish we hadn't sold him. But he clearly isn't going to get playing time in this team this season.

Sounds like we'll have a buy back clause in the contract. Look at United...finally doing the simple basic stuff right.

Dre_00
Nevermind. No buyback...just a sell on clause. Should've known. Buyback would've been way too competent for United.
Dre_00
Chong moves to Birmingham permanently. Probably for not very much but always good to move players along who don't have a future with the club.

There's a rumor that AC Milan is interested in Ronaldo. I say no chance if for no other reason that United can't find a body to replace him at this point.
Dre_00
1-0 at HT. Nice goal but we haven't created a lot. Leicester haven't even had a touch in our box yet.

Same starting 11 as the last 2 games which surprised me. I assumed this would be the game to rotate before Arsenal on Sunday. I don't think this same 11 can start in 3 days which means Arsenal will likely be the first start for a player like Casemiro. He'll surely have to make some changes due to fatigue for that game.
Thunder18
AG
Need to put LC to the sword early in the 2nd half
Furlock Bones
AG
Rashford not having a good match
Thunder18
AG
Yet somehow Rashford stays on over Sancho. Eriksen has been poor today as well
Dre_00
Furlock Bones said:

Rashford not having a good match

He's not. Only reason why he might start on Sunday is because Ronaldo likely won't run around and Martial likely can't.
Dre_00
I think Sancho is coming off so that he can start on Sunday. That's my guess.
Thunder18
AG
Damn would've love for Ronnie to bury that overhead kick
Dre_00
Kind of like the Southampton game in that we only created 1 or 2 really good chances. But different in that Leicester did nothing for most of the game and we were just 1 pass short multiple times of creating some massive opportunities.

On to Arsenal. I think Casemiro starts (15 against Southampton and 30 tonight so he's probably fine to start). And he might start with McTominay.
Aston94
AG
3 points. For this team this year any 3 points should be celebrated. We are going to have to grind out every single one.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mild optimism. I can see a spine forming. But we still don't have enough goals in us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.