Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,363 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Alan Combs Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Were back baby!
Aston94
AG
One trophy in the case for 2022/2023 season!!!!
Aston94
AG
Good summation of where things currently stand on the transfer market for ManU:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12641104/man-utd-comfortable-in-frenkie-de-jong-pursuit-lissandro-martinez-talks-continue
Dre_00
Martinez signing is in theory close. They have already agreed personal terms with Martinez who is pushing for a move. United in Amsterdam to negotiate a fee.

Opposite scenario for de Jong. Sounds like United have more or less agreed to a fee but FdJ really doesn't want to leave Barca. Barca is insisting on a pay cut and haven't paid him 13 million in wages. They clearly don't particularly want him but that doesn't seem to bother him.
Dre_00
Reports that Barca are insisting that de Jong leave and are considering leaving him off the plane for the US tour.

This is getting awkward Frenkie. I mean...you don't have to go to United if you don't want to but it's clear Barca doesn't want you.
Dre_00
That's 2.

Dre_00
That's 3...or 2 and then Martinez is 3.

Thunder18
AG
If we end up getting FDJ that's a pretty damn solid transfer window. Obviously would like to offload more deadweight
Dre_00
I'm hoping they move on from FdJ...assuming they aren't bluffing when they say through 3rd parties that they have other options besides him. The man doesn't want to come here and likely won't want to come here unless Barca tells him to eff off and no other teams go in for him. Which actually might happen but definitely won't happen as long as United play the role of patient, forlorn lover.

Besides, moving on to another midfielder doesn't mean you can't necessarily go back for FdJ later. There are worse conclusions to this than getting FdJ and another midfielder in your roster.
Dre_00
Pereira is gone so that's a start. But we definitely need to offload some CBs. And I'm not sure what Telles' role is with the addition of Malacia unless Malacia is brought on extremely slowly over the next several months. With the addition of Martinez, we have 7 CBs who probably want to get a fair bit of playing time. Unless we move to 3 CBs on a consistent basis (which I highly doubt we'll do), at least 2 of those need to go. Maybe 3.
Furlock Bones
AG
I don't know what to make of the FdJ situation other than Bara is pretty much a trash organization in my opinion. Not paying players what's owed to them and trying to force them to give up the money or change their contract.

I honestly don't understand these players seeing what's going on deciding yes I want to be a part of that. Certainly they won't screw me over.
Thunder18
AG
Barcelona is definitely a clown show right now
Furlock Bones
AG
And Laporte is literally mortgaging their future right now.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I just don't understand why FdJ wants to even stay. It's clear Barca don't want him, to go along with rumors they are almost begging him to leave so they can make their other signings. I get not being in UCL for at least a term, but why stay where you aren't wanted?
Thunder18
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I just don't understand why FdJ wants to even stay. It's clear Barca don't want him, to go along with rumors they are almost begging him to leave so they can make their other signings. I get not being in UCL for at least a term, but why stay where you aren't wanted?

And apparently not being paid
Dre_00
Barca is an extremely popular club in the Netherlands. I think FdJ even said it was his dream club as a child before he signed for Barca. Mostly due to Cruyff I think and the fact that he largely resurrected the club into what it is today. And of course there are a number of Dutch players who have become icons there. If he's been a diehard fan since he was a kid, I can understand how it might be hard to walkaway so relatively early in your career.
Dre_00
The wild thing is that all of these signings that Barca have "announced" are fake. They can't actually register Raphina, Kessie, etc. until they cut some costs/wages. Which is exactly why United need to move on and force Barca's hand. As of now, United is literally the only club who has a confirmed interest in the player. Even if another club steps in and shows interests, are they going to be willing to pay the same amount as United? If that club is smart they will low ball Barca with a number that is less than what United has agreed to because everyone knows Barca's financial situation. And are they going to be able to agree to that in...a matter of weeks?

Barca has, at minimum, tens of millions of EU at risk if United walks away...and potentially the risk of not being able to register some of these announced players. If United has an alternative that's even 75% as good as FdJ, then go start working that channel and tell Barca you can't wait any longer.
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

The wild thing is that all of these signings that Barca have "announced" are fake. They can't actually register Raphina, Kessie, etc. until they cut some costs/wages. Which is exactly why United need to move on and force Barca's hand. As of now, United is literally the only club who has a confirmed interest in the player. Even if another club steps in and shows interests, are they going to be willing to pay the same amount as United? If that club is smart they will low ball Barca with a number that is less than what United has agreed to because everyone knows Barca's financial situation. And are they going to be able to agree to that in...a matter of weeks?

Barca has, at minimum, tens of millions of EU at risk if United walks away...and potentially the risk of not being able to register some of these announced players. If United has an alternative that's even 75% as good as FdJ, then go start working that channel and tell Barca you can't wait any longer.

Would be awesome if Barcelona can't register players and we ended up with Kessie
Dre_00
I'm going to fully regret it when we lose in September to a crap team at OT by 2 goals, but I am beginning to hope again. It's just pre-season of course but the movement has his team has right now is something I haven't seen since maybe the early days of Ole. And the pressing competency is something I've never seen.
planoaggie123
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4704643/nottingham-forest-sign-free-agent-jesse-lingard

Lingard to Nottingham.

I am pretty excited about seeing Nottingham Forest in the PL this year....not sure why but years back playing video games I would often pick them to develop a team and ever since I have always monitored their progress. They have been close for a few years now and finally made it to the top....
Thunder18
AG
planoaggie123 said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4704643/nottingham-forest-sign-free-agent-jesse-lingard

Lingard to Nottingham.

I am pretty excited about seeing Nottingham Forest in the PL this year....not sure why but years back playing video games I would often pick them to develop a team and ever since I have always monitored their progress. They have been close for a few years now and finally made it to the top....

I always like to see different teams get promoted, like Sheffield United, Brentford and Nottingham
Furlock Bones
AG
The problem is that NF seem to be following the Fulham plan from a few years ago. Get promoted then sign basically a whole new team. Did not work out for Fulham.
Aggie5227
ChipFTAC01
AG
Furlock Bones said:

The problem is that NF seem to be following the Fulham plan from a few years ago. Get promoted then sign basically a whole new team. Did not work out for Fulham.

Steve Cooper is a heck of a manager though. I have faith that he'll be able to pull things together.
Furlock Bones
AG
Well gents, once again this club has fooled us. We are quickly coming to the end of the summer, and we still haven't finished up our business. McFred is still our midfield.
akm91
AG
I'm actually surprised ManU hasn't tried to moneywhip de Jong into signing.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Dre_00
Should've moved on from FdJ weeks ago.

Reports are that Ronaldo has asked United to terminate his contract. Um...where do we sign? Take that 500k a week in savings and put it towards a real forward.
Mathguy64
AG
Yep. Barca is in financial prison and at this point there is no reason to give them a get out of jail card. Move on.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Should've moved on from FdJ weeks ago.

Reports are that Ronaldo has asked United to terminate his contract. Um...where do we sign? Take that 500k a week in savings and put it towards a real forward.

Yes we absolutely should have moved on.

I can only think that Ten Haag has had private conversations with FDJ and he wants to come to United. But he's not walking away from the money that barca owes him. I think FdJ and United are playing chicken with Barca. Wait until they can't register their new signings and make them pay his deferred wages to walk.

That's my last shred of hope.
Furlock Bones
AG
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/la-liga-barcelona-de-jong-24606729.amp
Dre_00
Who's ready for that McFred starting midfield a week from tomorrow?!

You can't kill McFred. He is inevitable.
Dre_00
So Ronaldo started the final friendly of the season and got the biggest cheer of any of the players but also a significant number of boos. Only played the 1st half at which point he decided to leave OT before the game was even over.

You just know he's going to ***** when he's not starting against Brighton even though he has no business starting or even seeing the bench seeing as how he's had one (1) week of preseason. Get him off the team or just bench him out of spite. Done with him. Would rather do without his 20 goals and develop for the future than deal with his asshattery.
jeffk
AG
No, you should be honored he chose to grace the team with his presence. Lol.
Dre_00
Telles appears close to going on loan to Sevilla. While a loan is better than nothing, I wish we could actually sell players we don't want/need.

Sevilla is also rumored to be interested in Bailly.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

So Ronaldo started the final friendly of the season and got the biggest cheer of any of the players but also a significant number of boos. Only played the 1st half at which point he decided to leave OT before the game was even over.

You just know he's going to ***** when he's not starting against Brighton even though he has no business starting or even seeing the bench seeing as how he's had one (1) week of preseason. Get him off the team or just bench him out of spite. Done with him. Would rather do without his 20 goals and develop for the future than deal with his asshattery.
Ronaldo is going to be "interested Ronaldo" until the World Cup. After the World Cup he is not going to care a bit, at which point maybe you loan him out to someone who wants to sign him next year...maybe?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.