Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,317 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mason Greenwood has had all criminal proceedings dropped. It appears some key witnesses have withdrawn their cooperation and thus they no longer have a credible case.

I'm sure he'll find a spot somewhere in football but I'll be immensely pissed off if it's at United.
Mathguy64
AG
So the girlfriend and family dropped the charges. I'm sure they will be well compensated for their choices here.

What BS.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I haven't been following the whole situation closely, but I remember some of the pictures I saw were pretty horrific. I don't know much about the legal system there but I thought I remember reading that charges could still proceed even if witness/witnesses stop cooperating, bc of the supposed amount of evidence, so them completely dropping all charges seems pretty extreme to me.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Aston94
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I haven't been following the whole situation closely, but I remember some of the pictures I saw were pretty horrific. I don't know much about the legal system there but I thought I remember reading that charges could still proceed even if witness/witnesses stop cooperating, bc of the supposed amount of evidence, so them completely dropping all charges seems pretty extreme to me.
In cases like this where it is largely a "he said, she said" cooperation of the witness is pretty vital, especially when dealing with a high level defendant with a high level defense team, as I am sure is the case here.
Dre_00

Likewise, I also don't know much about the legal system in the UK but those pictures and video are authentic. That part I'm pretty confident about as I don't think that was ever in question.

If I remember correctly, his partner did not release the video but a friend did under her account (or at least that was claimed). She didn't want it to come out. That part, I'm less confident about but pretty sure I "heard" (for what it's worth). She may have refused to testify and/or said the video was consensual. That is obviously pure conjecture.

No matter what, I hope he never sees a football pitch again and I certainly don't want to see him in a United kit. Ever. Ever. Ever.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Likewise, I also don't know much about the legal system in the UK but those pictures and video are authentic. That part I'm pretty confident about as I don't think that was ever in question.

If I remember correctly, his partner did not release the video but a friend did under her account (or at least that was claimed). She didn't want it to come out. That part, I'm less confident about but pretty sure I "heard" (for what it's worth). She may have refused to testify and/or said the video was consensual. That is obviously pure conjecture.

No matter what, I hope he never sees a football pitch again and I certainly don't want to see him in a United kit. Ever. Ever. Ever.
Yeah there is proof in the public perception (pictures) and then there is proof in the criminal system (someone testifying that Greenwood caused the marks on her). Without a witness willing to testify that he caused the bruises it is a dead case.

United will have to proceed cautiously, without a criminal conviction United will need to make sure there is sufficient evidence to fully remove their contract. If they terminate without that they could find themselves on the wrong end of a defamation lawsuit from Greenwood, which is very similar to the position US Soccer finds itself in right now with Berhalter.
AG
Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

Yeah there is proof in the public perception (pictures) and then there is proof in the criminal system (someone testifying that Greenwood caused the marks on her). Without a witness willing to testify that he caused the bruises it is a dead case.

United will have to proceed cautiously, without a criminal conviction United will need to make sure there is sufficient evidence to fully remove their contract. If they terminate without that they could find themselves on the wrong end of a defamation lawsuit from Greenwood, which is very similar to the position US Soccer finds itself in right now with Berhalter.

my understanding about English contracts, is that short of an actual conviction, they can't terminate his contract. They could I guess, but unless there is a "finding of fault" they are on the financial hook and he could still suit and who knows what they find in discovery. Basically it's why guys like Mendy and Partey are still playing.

Here's a really good thread I was reading earlier that delves into the whole situation
wangus12
AG
I imagine United will buy out his contract to cut ties with him. Like was said, public perception is already there so I don't see how they take the risk in playing him. Mendy hasn't played since he was arrested and he still has retrials this June. Again, I highly doubt he ever plays for City even if he is found not guilty.

Partey is still playing because he has never officially been charged I believe. In fact he's never been named in the incident (although every sign points to him). His bail has been extended a 3rd time to this summer while the police gather evidence and build a case. I believe after that it gets dropped unless they get specific permission to continue a bail past 12 months from the initial investigation.
Mathguy64
AG
Surely they will call that. His hand is up like he calling offside.
Mathguy64
AG
Marcus Rashford stays at the top of the worlds hottest goal scorer list.
Mathguy64
AG
And handbags for everyone.
Mathguy64
AG
Casemiro with the pure idiot move. Now he's gone for 3 games.
Mathguy64
AG
And now a match that was totally in hand is now in the balance.
AG
Antony deserves a lot of that. Showed his ass In frustration bc he was ineffective yet again. Hard foul but nothing dirty. Didn't warrant his reacting the way he did. But what was Casemiro thinking putting his hands on or even near the throat like that. ****ing dumb. REALLY glad we have Sabitzer now though
Mathguy64
AG
To be fair, Antony was shoved down the hillside. That was the instigating moment in the handbags. And there were at least 2 other hands on faces. I'm not defending Casemiro. He was caught being an idiot. But there was a scrum full of idiots.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah but still… with McTominay still hurt (?) they were already paper thin, and this sure doesn't help. Even though nobody is thinking about stuff like that in the moment, nevertheless… sure hurts.
Dre_00
I think McTominay might be back for the next game? Otherwise, ETH is going to have to get creative. Only positives out of all of this is that we got the 3 points and we're virtually guaranteed of having Casemiro available for the League Cup final (will be the 1st game he's eligible to return).
Thunder18
AG
The Casemiro red card is tissue soft - Ayew for Crystal Palace throat punched Fred and got nothing. The FA should overturn Casemiro's red on appeal, but we all know they will protect the refs decision
Dre_00
On the plus side, West Ham did us a solid and took points off of Newcastle. Either City or Tottenham...or maybe both but most likely Tottenham...will drop points tomorrow.
Thunder18
AG
A draw would be ideal, should be a fun game to watch either way. The Everton-Arsenal result is pretty wild. New manager bounce I guess
Aston94
AG
That was the weakest of red cards. Is the FA going to consistently give reds for that? I haven't seen it to now.
AG
It was tough to tell, but on several glances, it looked like Casemiro actually had his shirt, pushed up toward his throat, and didn't actually have a hand(s) around his throat.
Showstopper
AG
I don't think it will get overturned but it looked worse in the still frame they showed which made it look like Casemiro was choking him. When it's played in real time, though, it looks more like pushing back and his hands ended up at the neck. To me, a yellow for unsporting behavior would have been appropriate since you really don't want hands going to the head and neck areas at all in those situations. But it wasn't actual choking, let's be real.
Dre_00
Only saw the first 30 minutes of the game live but have watched the rest now.

I have NO idea how Ayew gets away with nothing. You want to give Casemiro a red? Fine. But Ayew did the EXACT same thing. It's either reds for both or reds for no one. Take your pick. Laughable decision.
Dre_00
So Spurs going anti-Spurs means we're still only 3 points ahead of 5th (with a game in hand) but we're also only 3 behind City in 2nd.

You know City and Arsenal still have to play each other twice. I'm just saying. I'd be saying more if we hadn't given up that late goal away to Palace. Stupid Olise with his insane free kick.
Dre_00
Another interesting tidbit that I read this morning regarding the teams around us. Bruno Guimaraes has missed 4 games for Newcastle this season. In those games, Newcastle have drawn 3 and lost 1. They have 2 more games without him (away to Bournemouth and home to Liverpool) before he returns.
Thunder18
AG
City charged with FFP breaches over past 9 seasons...shocker
Dre_00
Get ready everyone...in another couple of months we'll be celebrating 22 league titles!
Aston94
AG
McTominay and Antony ruled out for Leeds, to go along with Casemiro for red card, Martial and Eriksen, getting pretty thin.
Dre_00
McTominay, Martial, and Antony are out for tomorrow's game. Dalot made the bench against Palace but didn't see any minutes. Would be surprised if he started. But if everything is going well, I could see him coming on in the 60th as a planned sub...starting in the away game this weekend.

Does ETH go Fred and Sabitzer in the middle and pray to the gods above? Can he get anything close to 90 minutes from Sabitzer even if that makeshift pairing manages to not look completely overwhelmed defensively?

Sancho in for Antony? Elanga? With the form he is in, you gotta keep Rashford playing on the left but none of the options on the right seem to fit with ETH's preferred tactics.
Thunder18
AG
And will Leeds get the "new manager bounce?" Was really hoping Marsch wouldn't be fired before we played them
jeffk
AG
Their new manager is a bunch of dudes that include Chris Armas, so my vote is no.
Mathguy64
AG
In the entirety of his time at United, I think Martial has been injured more than he's been available.
Thunder18
AG
United are not going to appeal the red card
Dre_00
If you believe the Daily Mail, a group of "Qatari individuals" are going to make a bid for United in the coming days. I believe the Glazers set a date of mid February to receive bids. They are confident it won't run afoul of UEFA's ownership rules (i.e. I assume this group is made up of different people/entities than the PSG ownership group) and that their offer will be the strongest by far.

Make of this what you will. Seems like a lot of heresay and won't be happy if it happens but...here we are.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.