Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,539 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our counterattack throughout the game yesterday was a thing of beauty
Dre_00
Bailly has said that Manchester United unfairly favors English nationals. I wonder who on Earth he could be talking about?

(Note: his criticism doesn't seem to be pointed towards ETH. He explicitly states that he hopes ETH can change that and that ETH kept his word to him when he arrived at United.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Alright, the general consensus seems to be that Arsenal dominated long stretches and United scored against the run of play.

While that is, in some ways accurate, it makes it sounds like Arsenal dominated the game and they absolutely did not. They were very good the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half and had 2 big chances to score before they finally did. De Gea made a great save on Martinelli in the 1st.

But they literally did nothing after United's 2nd goal. 2 shots in 25 minutes after. Neither were threatening and they didn't really worry United. If I were an Arsenal fan, I'd definitely be pleased, in general, with what I saw and wonder what might have been had a few things had fallen our way. But I definitely don't think they were robbed or that they clearly deserved to win.

Anyway, it's frankly shocking to see this team doing what it's doing after the first 2 games. And while you can definitely see tactical improvement, it largely seems to stem from a renewed mentality and a collective commitment to defending. Just gonna enjoy this while I can.

Our strength in a 4-3-3 system with Eriksen and Fernandez in MF and 3 fast forwards/wings is the counter attack. That is where we are at our most deadliest. That means as a team we are going to sit back more and then use the passing abilities of Bruno and Eriksen and speed of the top 3 to exploit teams on the counter. So possession wise it is going to look like we are being dominated from time to time.

If someone doesn't think that is "United Football" then so be it, but that is how this team is currently built.

Against teams that sit back and absorb United's pressure, those are the matches where I see Ronaldo starting and being a bigger presence. But the Liverpools and Arsenals of the world are going to come out and press and attack with a high back line, and this is how United can exploit them.
Dre_00
ETH has definitely made adjustments and looked for quick counters and more often and, in general, tied to be more direct. But he definitely hasn't abandoned his intent to press, possess and work the ball. 2-3 goals over the last 4 games have come from that press/possession philosophy. And I expect he'll continue to work towards that when the game allows him too.

We do seem to be more comfortable playing direct but that's to be expected considering that's all they did well for the last 3 years (at least). And the notion that it's not how "big" clubs play is ludicrous. The best clubs can kill you in a variety of ways. Man City will absolutely destroy you with a big sweeping move from one end of the pitch to the other in 3 or 4 passes if given the opportunity. But teams rarely give them the opportunity so 95% of the time they kill you the other way.
Dre_00
Early reports suggest Maguire, Casemiro, Fred, and Ronaldo will get starts tomorrow. Potentially Antony as well.

Honestly, go full rotation as far as I'm concerned. Keep your most important players fresh for Palace and if you don't get a good result tomorrow, you have the option to play them in Moldova if they take tomorrow off.
Aston94
AG
I am good with all of those except for Maguire. I would just assume he never sees the pitch again as a Red.
BJM1781
AG
Honestly wouldn't mind seeing Hannibal and Garnacho get a start tomorrow. Would like to see some youngsters getting PT in the Europa League matches.
Aston94
AG
Maguire in for Lisandro
Lindelof in for Varane
Fred in for Bruno
Casemiro in for McTominay
Ronaldo in for Rashford

So 5 changes from standard line up we have seen. Surprised Eriksen didn't get a rest too.
Dre_00
Maybe if Van de Beek had been healthy both Bruno and Eriksen would have gotten a rest. I'd almost like to see each get 45 minutes. Neither needs a full game right now. Also a little surprised Dubravka didn't get a start.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Maybe if Van de Beek had been healthy both Bruno and Eriksen would have gotten a rest. I'd almost like to see each get 45 minutes. Neither needs a full game right now. Also a little surprised Dubravka didn't get a start.
McFred!!!!!!

Thunder18
AG
I hate playing Spanish teams
Rudyjax
AG
anyone else having trouble loading it on paramonut +?
Thunder18
AG
I had to disable ad block
planoaggie123
AG
i guess Eriksen will not get a day off this year...?
Thunder18
AG
Fred is killing our attacks right now. Shoots directly into Elanga
Forum Troll
AG
Interesting read from ESPN today about the Glazers and their ownership reign.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-united-engman_utd/story/4741119/why-manchester-united-supporters-hate-the-glazersthe-clubs-american-owners
Dre_00
He's playing so far up the pitch. I expected Eriksen to take up Bruno's position but instead Fred has. I guess ETH wants to use his energy to press but man, he's like an energy suck when the ball gets to him in the attacking third.
Dre_00
Fred

Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

He's playing so far up the pitch. I expected Eriksen to take up Bruno's position but instead Fred has. I guess ETH wants to use his energy to press but man, he's like an energy suck when the ball gets to him in the attacking third.

Hopefully Bruno comes on for Fred at half, but I have a feeling it'll be for Eriksen instead
Rudyjax
AG
Thunder18 said:

I had to disable ad block

All the other games were loading, I had to restart the ap.
Dre_00
Weekend games are going to be cancelled so less need to rest some players.
Thunder18
AG
Ronnie misses a point blank header from 4 yards out.
Thunder18
AG
Lindelof out to RB after Martinez comes on for Dalot. I like Lindelof as cover for Dalot. Seems like AWB will be sold over the winter break
Thunder18
AG
Extremely harsh penalty to give. Wow
Rudyjax
AG
That's a horrible penalty.

planoaggie123
AG
has degea ever saved one?
Dre_00
He's been cooked twice now. The second time led to the corner which eventually led to the penalty.
Thunder18
AG
That's a joke of a call and even worse for VAR to confirm it
Rudyjax
AG
I know my referee forums will discuss this ad nauseum.

His arm is natural for his motion and it came off his leg.

VAR confirming that is a a huge problem.

Dre_00
Not only was it a BS pk, but he got a yellow for it too.
Thunder18
AG
Casemiro, Antony and Fred have all made some absolutely terrible passes today
AGC
AG
Thunder18 said:

Casemiro, Antony and Fred have all made some absolutely terrible passes today

Casemiro is good for some really stupid passes in his own half, usually ~3 or so per game. Consistently did it for madrid.
Dre_00
It is absurd how reliant this team is on Eriksen. Such a chore to progress the ball through midfield without him.
Thunder18
AG
We've whiffed on 2 beautiful crosses inside the 6 yard box this half
planoaggie123
AG
ready for hammerhead to put something behind the goalie....would be humorous...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.