Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,566 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Varane stays healthy I think our defense could be pretty salty this year. Martinez and Malacia look sharp and I think Martinez' drive and fire is bleeding over into guys like Dalot.
Mathguy64
AG
Just finished watching it.

The first half was really really neat to watch. The passing in particular was sharp and quick. At 26' they ping ponged about 8 one touch passes in triangles in the own defensive third and LC was just lost. Really sharp stuff.

The defensive intensity is so much better than the last couple of years. At 70' Dalot made a great sliding challenge in the area and won a goal kick and he, Martinez and Varane all came up yelling and chest bumping the play. You didn't see that last year at all.

Yellow card accumulation is going to be a real thing very quickly. All the defenders are racking up yellows like they are Halloween candy. Let's hope they don't all miss the same game.

ETA Eriksen is the glue holding that midfield together.
Thunder18
AG
2 of the yellows today were charmin soft
Dre_00
Eriksen is going to be spent by November if he keeps being asked to play 80+ minutes every 3 days. At some point, ETH is going to have to give him a break and the Carabao isn't going to be enough. But I get what he's doing by sticking with the same 11 for as long as possible. The team/club was so bereft of confidence last season and the atmosphere was horrid. Winning is one of the pieces that can help correct that and Eriksen as a deep midfielder has yielded results and is likely our best chance at competing at the level ETH wants.

All in all, still a lot of work to be done and I'm certain there will be some poor games/runs in the not so distant future that will drive me crazy. But it's been a very long time since I've been even mildly optimistic about this team. Did not expect it after the first 2 games of the season.
Dre_00
Martial officially ruled out of Arsenal match. I fear this could go on for a while. With Rashford looking inconsistent at forward and Ronaldo being...well, more like a 37 year old forward than Ronaldo...this is a concern.

My guess is we'll see the same back line as we've seen the last 3 games. Hope they have the legs for it. Now would be a good time for Casemiro to get his first start. I wouldn't be shocked to see Antony start but he could get the Casemiro treatment and be eased in.
Thunder18
AG
Hoping we see the same back 4 with Casemiro, Bruno, Fred (Eriksen probably needs a rest), Sancho, Elanga (Antony subbing on), Ronaldo
Mathguy64
AG
You could see really how far Ronaldo has fallen off yesterday. There were several balls played to him where he had a lot of room to run on to them and a defender to run past. He couldn't come close.
Dre_00
He can still play some good passes and make some good decisions in the build up but he is definitely lost multiple steps...which makes you wonder how well he could press for 90 minutes. He would likely need to play as a facilitator in a deep forward position but 1) his ego won't allow that and 2) that occupies space Bruno operates in.

Really wish he had just moved on.
Furlock Bones
AG
I think Y'all are underestimating CR7. He has transformed his position and skillset multiple times. If he decides to put his mind to it, He could become a super sub for years to come.
planoaggie123
AG
I think CR7 has plenty to offer. Just hope he takes a leadership role and doesn't expect to start. He can teach the younger players a lot while providing value to the current squad.
Dre_00
He could adapt and provide value. But it shouldn't be controversial to say he's lost multiple steps. It's clear. That means his role in counter attacks or in pressing is fundamentally different. And adapting his positioning to account for that reality affects others…namely Bruno.

Anyway, if enough adaptations occur from enough people I'm sure he can be successful. But feels like a lot of risk and effort for a 37 year old who doesn't want to be here.
Dre_00
This is wild

Quote:

Van der Sar has banked 167million this summer from United. Ajax's total revenue in 2020-21 was 125m.

https://theathletic.com/3562326/2022/09/03/manchester-united-window-erik-ten-hag-budget/?source=emp_shared_article
Dre_00
Antony starts instead of Elanga but otherwise it's the same starting 11. ETH very much adhering to the if it ain't broke don't fix it policy.
Thunder18
AG
Spicy game so far. We looked great for about 10 minutes then let Arsenal grow into the game
Mathguy64
AG
Great advantage call and goal by the new kid on the block
Thunder18
AG
Debut goal for Antony after some nice passing up front
Thunder18
AG
Malacia getting worked over by Saka so far
Mathguy64
AG
We are doing what we did last match and that's sitting back totally in defense first mode. It's go8ng to end up biting us.
Thunder18
AG
There it is. Malacia and Martinez have had rough games
Mathguy64
AG
That's been coming all half. I don't know why we would expect any different.
Mathguy64
AG
What a beautiful ball by Bruno.
Thunder18
AG
Bruno with a gorgeous assist to Rashford there
Mathguy64
AG
Almost stole one. Playing out of the back badly was almost a thing.
Mathguy64
AG
McT has to be close to a card accumulation suspension.
Mathguy64
AG
Marcus Rashford. Nice to have you back brother.
Thunder18
AG
Counterattack United back on the menu boys
Mathguy64
AG
Good lord. Maguire looks like he's coming on. Don't do it.
Mathguy64
AG
1 minute. He's so slow he's pathetic.
Thunder18
AG
Literally beaten and booked as soon as he came on. Must be sold in the winter window
Dre_00
Caught the last 15 minutes live and now re-watching the whole game. I have no idea what people are complaining about in regards to VAR. Odegaard literally never touched the ball and pushed Eriksen with two hands. I'm not saying it was the most forceful push but it definitely was a push. If that's not a foul, then what was it?
Mathguy64
AG
It was a foul. It's charging from behind. It's a foul in every league in the world. Tierney screwed up by not calling it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Dre_00 said:

He could adapt and provide value. But it shouldn't be controversial to say he's lost multiple steps. It's clear. That means his role in counter attacks or in pressing is fundamentally different. And adapting his positioning to account for that reality affects others…namely Bruno.

Anyway, if enough adaptations occur from enough people I'm sure he can be successful. But feels like a lot of risk and effort for a 37 year old who doesn't want to be here.

He clearly has lost a step, he showed that today when Arsenal was playing that high line and he was trying to get on the end of stuff.

And he's going to go nuts if he can't come to terms with it. He looked so incredibly frustrated even when United was 3-1. I completely get it, they all want goals, but I feel like a lot of "close calls" are going to take a toll on his psyche.
Dre_00
Yeah he went ballistic when Fred couldn't find him on that late break. And while it could have been a better pass, the bigger issue is that it now has to be a perfect pass because he doesn't have the speed to make a good pass perfect.

And he got pissed later on because Bruno couldn't find him right in front of goal even though there wasn't really a pass to be made. Glass 1/2 full guy would say it's the intensity of one of the best to play the game. Glass 1/2 empty guy would say it's a jackass ruining an improving team culture.
Dre_00
Alright, the general consensus seems to be that Arsenal dominated long stretches and United scored against the run of play.

While that is, in some ways accurate, it makes it sounds like Arsenal dominated the game and they absolutely did not. They were very good the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half and had 2 big chances to score before they finally did. De Gea made a great save on Martinelli in the 1st.

But they literally did nothing after United's 2nd goal. 2 shots in 25 minutes after. Neither were threatening and they didn't really worry United. If I were an Arsenal fan, I'd definitely be pleased, in general, with what I saw and wonder what might have been had a few things had fallen our way. But I definitely don't think they were robbed or that they clearly deserved to win.

Anyway, it's frankly shocking to see this team doing what it's doing after the first 2 games. And while you can definitely see tactical improvement, it largely seems to stem from a renewed mentality and a collective commitment to defending. Just gonna enjoy this while I can.
Furlock Bones
AG
Great game yesterday. Has to listen on the radio. Going to watch it today. ten Haag doing good work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.