Arsenal 2021-2022 Thread

140,888 Views | 3040 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Teacher_Ag
RockW1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Xhaka really showing the leader he is for the Swiss today. I hope we can keep him.
TXAggie2011
AG
RockW1997 said:

Xhaka really showing the leader he is for the Swiss today. I hope we can keep him.
Wouldn't count on it
wangus12
AG
Add 5m to the price tag after today. I think Xhaka wants to leave unfortunately. Dude has been the go to scapegoat for 5 years here. Can understand the desire to want out
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
wangus12 said:

Add 5m to the price tag after today. I think Xhaka wants to leave unfortunately. Dude has been the go to scapegoat for 5 years here. Can understand the desire to want out

Agreed. He's had so many boneheaded moments that they ignore the work he puts in.
wangus12
AG
Man it really seems like this transfer window is gonna be a slow burn. Hopefully with the Euro's coming to a close it'll start to pick up. First team returns to practice on July 7th.

Apparently Tavares is moving quickly and sounds like he's going to be our first signing. I know he's being brought in to be a backup LB, but I'm just not impressed with him and given KT's injury history, he'll get a decent amount of minutes.

Sounds like the Onana deal has stalled if it ever moved at all, and now we're looking at HG keepers which may cost way more cash for a lower quality player. It just continues to compound on how big of a mistake we made letting Martinez go.

I do like the idea of bringing in Lokonga, but we still need desperate help in the creative side of the midfield.

Really need to get ESR locked up on the long term as well.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Man it really seems like this transfer window is gonna be a slow burn. Hopefully with the Euro's coming to a close it'll start to pick up. First team returns to practice on July 7th.
Outside of a few of the big boys, I don't think we are moving any slower than most. The Euros where never gonna help things move quickly. From the sounds of things we are damned close on completing several incoming deals. Imagine they are gonna want to get some out the door before completing others.
Quote:

Apparently Tavares is moving quickly and sounds like he's going to be our first signing. I know he's being brought in to be a backup LB, but I'm just not impressed with him and given KT's injury history, he'll get a decent amount of minutes.

Based on what I've read from Benfica fans, I don't really like the deal. My hope is that KT stays healthy enough so as not to expose Tavares's faults and in his limited minutes he will look good enough that we can sell him for atleast 2x for someone looking for a starter in 2 years.
Quote:

Sounds like the Onana deal has stalled if it ever moved at all, and now we're looking at HG keepers which may cost way more cash for a lower quality player. It just continues to compound on how big of a mistake we made letting Martinez go.
The Onana thing really confuses me. I get that they were hoping his ban would be lifted completely but in the grand scheme of things his proposed fee is very cheap for the talent. But I find it interesting that NO ONE has really stepped up with an offer.
Quote:

I do like the idea of bringing in Lokonga, but we still need desperate help in the creative side of the midfield.

Think he will be a good signings. Based on highlight video I've always compared him to Partey but was watching a guy on YouTube a week or so ago that was likening him to a more Kante type player. If that is true, once he adjusts to the team/league he could be the piece we have been missing in MF for more than a decade.
Quote:

Really need to get ESR locked up on the long term as well.
We will. He wants to be here and we want him. Don't think there is a need to rush. He has 2 yrs left on his deal now and I would be floored if we don't have this sorted out by start of the season. The offers from Villa are silliness. No way we would sell him unless they came offering Grealish type money. Even then we may not agree.
wangus12
AG
I did see Inter were probably interested in Onana, but I think the player has come out and said he is willing to wait till next summer and move on a free, so I could see most clubs just waiting till then. From a club perspective, he's only available for half the season. From the player's perspective, he can ask for much larger wages next summer with a free transfer
chjoak
AG
And I imagine if he waits for next summer, we are likely out.

Keep hearing buzz about Ramsdale being our guy. Current price tag seems high but he is young, HG and rated pretty well. Initial impression isn't positive given he has been the #1 on a side that was relegated 2 years in a row. But when you dig further he has actually been pretty impressive but the teams in front of him have been garbage.

For 20/21...

Ramsdale was #2 in saves at 147. Leno had 86.
Ramsdale was #2 in high claims at 33. Leno at 18.
Ramsdale was tied with Leno for #8 in punch clearances at 12.
Sheff U conceded 14.3 shots per game (#5 worst) vs Arsenal at 10.9 (15th)
chjoak
AG
Rumor from another board...

Quote:

Juventus is having difficulties agreeing to a deal for Locatelli, so rumor is they are looking to hijack the Xhaka deal as Roma has not yet met Arsenal's asking price.
chjoak
AG

Hopefully that means we have answers on his future with the club very soon.
TXAggie2011
AG
Let's do hope they provide some clarity...

chjoak
AG
It's a long shot, but I hope we convince him that he has a place and will be given every opportunity. Then he goes off for Olympics training and convinces Camavinga that Arsenal is the best place for him as well.
chjoak
AG
wangus12
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Tavares seems to play with some grit and attitude, which may not be a terrible thing off the bench. He's definitely got some winger/wing back in him and I imagine Arteta likes having someone like that.

Agree I hope Tierney stays healthy, though.
chjoak
AG
Reports out of Italy... Sassuolo wants 40m euro cash. Juventus are offering player + cash. Sassuolo unwilling to accept. Claims that Arsenal & Dortmund are the other primary suitors and Locatelli isn't opposed to moving abroad. If it is between us and Dortmund, our best chance is gonna be the allure of the EPL and maybe a better salary offer. Wouldn't hurt to look at bringing in another Italian to create added comfort in the locker room. Most likely position of need we could fill with another Italian is a 10/W type. Italian candidates...

Berardi - linked with him a couple weeks ago. Also linked with Liverpool & Leicester. Current teammate of Locatelli. Primarily plays RW but has and can also play AM & ST.
Pellegrini - linked to him last summer. Rumored to either want out or Jose not wanting to keep him. A bit inconsistent but really good when on form. More of a 8/10 type but has the speed & passing to also play W if needed. Would be a good option to rotate with both ESR & Partey.
Orsolini - primarily plays RW but has played AM in the past. Less pace than our other Ws, likes to dribble and cuts inside often. Could make him an ideal option for a playmaking AM/W. Also likely the cheapest of the 3.
wangus12
AG
Sounds like Tavares is done now. Also he won't take up a PL roster spot since was born in 2000
chjoak
AG
Isn't he already 21? I though the rule was 21 before the first day of the season?

wangus12
AG
I'm not sure how it works. This is what I found:

Under-21 (or 19): under-21 (or under-19) on 31 December of the previous season.

So Tavares would be considered U21, but Lokonga would not.

I just trust whatever Jeorge Bird says. Dude knows all about the youth system

chjoak
AG
wangus12
AG
Lol the hold that Juventus and Bayern have over their respective leagues is insane. If they want a player in that league, they'll finagle or force it in any way. Juventus don't have the money to pay the fee, but they've already agreed to personal terms with Locatelli. Sassuolo are probably not gonna be able to fend them off. I hope they do and we can get him. Just don't see it happening.

chjoak
AG
Never understand why the "little guys" in the Italian & German leagues continually sell their best players to their bigger competitors when they can get better deals from abroad.
Furlock Bones
AG
why would he go to Arsenal and not play in the Champions League? i mean that's the biggest problem.
chjoak
AG

wangus12
AG
Apparently Willian's move to Orlando/Miami has collapsed.

Also Chris Wheatley said White is close to done, but will finish after the Euro's.
wangus12
AG
Apparently Everton and possibly City are entering the race for Ben White, both of whom are much more willing to spend money than we are.
wangus12
AG
Saliba isn't in the final Olympic squad so he'll be with the team in preseason
Furlock Bones
AG
Word is Willian wanted 160k per week. Higauin is the highest at like 80k per week.
ptothemo
AG
Classic example of "read the room" and might should have done some research first.
wangus12
AG
Saliba on loan to Marsielle looks set to happen. Would rather he be going to the PL, but oh well.

wangus12
AG
Guendouzi going on loan with obligation to buy for 10-12m. Aggravated that we can't get more money for him, but I think the truth of the matter is that most clubs don't have any cash and we are trying to reshape our entire midfield
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Saka isn't on the bench today.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
gougler08
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Saka isn't on the bench today.

Picked up a knock in practice per the guardian
chjoak
AG

Translation...
Quote:

William Saliba will join Marseille without an option to buy. Marseille wanted to include a buy option between 15m and 20m but Arsenal refused. Several clubs are now trying to overtake Marseille, who will need to complete a deal quickly.
wangus12
AG
Makes no sense. Tapsoba would be more expensive

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.