Arsenal 2021-2022 Thread

140,840 Views | 3040 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Teacher_Ag
AggieRob93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been telling you fellow Gunners that Arteta is not the answer. Not only is that true, but he is worse than I thought.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
AggieRob93 said:

I've been telling you fellow Gunners that Arteta is not the answer. Not only is that true, but he is worse than I thought.

I don't disagree butI also don't think firing and hiring someone else isn't going to solve this problem. That's not me defending Arteta, that's me saying we've not got the quality on the field to be better.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
AggieRob93
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

AggieRob93 said:

I don't disagree butI also don't think firing and hiring someone else isn't going to solve this problem. That's not me defending Arteta, that's me saying we've not got the quality on the field to be better.
I don't like the fire/hire/fire process either, but is Brentford really a better batch of players, or a better touchline manager?
chjoak
AG

AggieRob93 said:

This.

I question whether Arteta is the guy but it's hard to put it all on him when we don't have a proper starting 11 or any meaningful depth. Our current issues are on the entire organization.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
AggieRob93 said:

AggieRob93 said:

I don't like the fire/hire/fire process either, but is Brentford really a better batch of players, or a better touchline manager?

I think we're both correct.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
agdoc2001
AG
We should have thrown on Joe Willock. Oh wait.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OneBlitzer
AG
Hello darkness, my old friend. Well done Brentford. Same crap from Arsenal.
TXAggie2011
AG
OneBlitzer said:

Hello darkness, my old friend. Well done Brentford. Same crap from Arsenal.
Look, we're helping create memorable and timeless memories...what more can you ask for?
wangus12
AG
This is simply all the karma being paid out for the way Arsene was treated in his last few years
wangus12
AG
At least Sambi and ESR looked up for it. Shame that only our two youngest players really looked decent.

White looked like a disaster of a signing today. He got bullied by Brentford and won least than 50% of his challenges. Part of that is partnership and Mari was worse. Chambers looked terribly slow and there was none of the overlapping he did last year. Leno is looking worse and worse. KT looked ok, but liked mentioned earlier, his crosses were all way too high.

Martinelli was missing and couldn't find the ball, but we failed to play through the middle. Balogun was ok for a PL debut, but just not quite there physically. Pepe went back to being the black hole of possession and then losing the ball.

Hopefully when Partey and Gabriel are back things will look a little more solid around the back.

I said it when we fired Wenger that replacing him was going to be a massive headache and we were going to have several rough years of rotating managers like Manchester United has had. Unfortunately, we don't have the same financial backing to make bad expensive signings or completely revamp the team every time for a new manager. Arteta clearly isn't working and I think you can start to see the breaks in the locker room with him losing the faith of the players. I don't know who you can convince to try and turn this around. Conte is sitting at home on his ass, but he'd probably laugh and hang up the phone.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Missed the game because I was getting a covid test. Sounds like that was a more enjoyable use of my time.
agdoc2001
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

Missed the game because I was getting a covid test. Sounds like that was a more enjoyable use of my time.

Do yourself a favor and schedule a colonoscopy next Sunday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Teacher_Ag
AG

Settled in for another season boys.
chjoak
AG

I saw this and atleast 2-3 other similar instances yesterday where we could have fed Balogun/Martinelli straight up the middle for a chance but instead chose the dump off outside. Xhaka was responsible for 2 of those including the one above. Think Pepe was responsible for 1. The tweet above claims Martinelli was responsible for another. If we are passing on that many opportunities we either have a hole bunch of the wrong players or they are being trained to take the safer pass. The irony of that is that the quick through ball would be a far more dangerous opportunity then a dump to the outside and a cross when we have no target forward in the box.
chjoak
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Odegaard isn't starting for RM.
wangus12
AG

I feel like it's been made abundantly clear by now that they don't want. Bring him home
chjoak
AG

He cant, currently not registered to play for them in La Liga play.
chjoak
AG
Rumors out of Spain that Koeman wants a new ST (Aguero out for a month and Braithwaite not good enough) and PEA & Laca are top of his list. Since money is tight they would need to handle any deal via swap.
chjoak
AG
Assuming it is true, im guessing we will have interest in Neto and Barca will push Coutinho or Dembele.
ptothemo
AG
Or Lenglet, Umtiti, Pjanic, and maybe one or two others they are trying to get rid of.

We have a need for Neto, so I can see that being a potential fit. None of the other names move the needle in the positive direction for me for various reasons.
gougler08
AG
To make it worse, Spurs beat City
agdoc2001
AG
gougler08 said:

To make it worse, Spurs beat City
Their speed on the counter is amazing to watch. They win the ball and have it in the opposing box faster than we can get it out of our half of the field.
chjoak
AG
ptothemo said:

Or Lenglet, Umtiti, Pjanic, and maybe one or two others they are trying to get rid of.

We have a need for Neto, so I can see that being a potential fit. None of the other names move the needle in the positive direction for me for various reasons.

Hadnt heard they are shopping Lenglet. If we could move Mari I would be very interested in him.
ptothemo
AG
Shopping might be a bit too strong, but I kept reading his name based on his contract, spot in the team, etc as someone that they could try to move. Some of that may be not be as true now that they got to where they could register their new boys.
chjoak
AG
Seeing lots of noise about Conte being the #1 target if Arteta falters. While he could be on the short list I assume his name is mostly popping up because he is currently unemployed. I assumed Arteta's leash was pretty long but given Conte's availability, I wonder if he could get cut sooner then expected if things don't go well to start the season?

Just for fun... Conte prefers a 3-1-4-2 so...

CB - Bring back Saliba and we would actually be in pretty good shape with he, Gabi & White as starters and Holding & Chambers as backups. Ship Mari off to a low to mid table Spanish and get a young CB to replace him or possible promote from within.

DM - Conte wanted Xhaka at Inter for a bit so he may be inclined to try him there. Don't imagine that experiment would last long. Lokonga or Partey could probably play here but not sure it would be ideal. Patino could be one for the future. Of the CMs we have been linked this window Locatelli, Berge or Zakaria would likely be the best options.

CM - Conte doesn't use a true AM or wing forwards so guys like ESR & Odegaard (assuming we sign him) would need to play a little deeper and play as more 8.5s instead of 10s. I think ESR could adjust as he already gets back to help on D. Odegaard could be strong offensively from a deeper spot but not sure about his defensive contribution. Outside of them, you have Partey, Lokonga & Azeez. Xhaka may be able to play in this spot but I honestly don't think it would be ideal.

WB - Tierney & Tavares on the left would be a lock. The right could be interesting. Saka likely becomes the starting RWB as I don't see any other role for him in this setup. AMN would be a good fit assuming he stays. Cedric could possibly function better in this role than at RB.

ST - Balogun should be fine. PEA may be better in this setup (assuming he is still here). Pepe could possibly play as ST given his penchant for cutting inside anyway. Laca could be retained since Conte expressed interest in him last summer (I think?).
Ag Since 83
AG
I can't see a guy who left the Serie A champs because he couldn't get the investment he wanted coming to a club where he has to sell assets nobody wants before he can buy anything
chjoak
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I can't see a guy who left the Serie A champs because he couldn't get the investment he wanted coming to a club where he has to sell assets nobody wants before he can buy anything

Good point. To be fair though, Inter was looking at needing to take in atleast 100m more than they send out this window. We appear to be the opposite.
chjoak
AG
No idea who this guy is but FWIW...

And...

Jason_Ag98
AG
wangus12
AG
And the Laca/Auba rumors to Barca are already gone.

chjoak
AG
chjoak
AG

Not surprised given their desire to shed salary. Wouldn't be surprised if they were interested in Laca assuming we took a higher salary player back. I would be open to such arrangement (though I do not want Coutinho) assuming we get something (Moribo?) as incentive.

wangus12
AG
I've read that Ramsdale is the one really pushing to get the fee lowered so he can go to Arsenal.
chjoak
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.