Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

116,608 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, Kroenke will assume sole ownership of the club after buying out Usmanov. God help us.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Also, Kroenke will assume sole ownership of the club after buying out Usmanov. God help us.
Really wonder what that means for us RE: transfers? Not expecting ManU/City level spending but it would be nice if money were available to get what we need.
agdoc2001
AG
Dark day, lads. Kroenke is no longer burdened by transparency and may take dividends from the club without risk of public repercussion. Hate to sound hyperbolic, but really could be the end of the club as we've known it. At least that sweet Europa League money can help fund the Rams new stadium.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
We'll be lucky if he spends any at all. Every sports team he owns has been pretty bad over the last decade. Only the Rams have shown up in the last year and thats because he is hugely invested in that project with the new stadium and everything. Like agdoc said, I wouldn't be shocked if Arsenal income is used to help finance the Rams
agdoc2001
AG
wangus12 said:

Chambers is almost 100% going to Fulham.

This makes absolutely no sense. Our defense has been garbage this preseason, but Chambers has actually looked competent - certainly more so than Sokratis or Mustafi. We signed him to a new deal October last year. Then we signed him to another, longer deal this summer and Unai says that he is in his 1st team plans this season. Then we loan him out for a million to Fulham? The ship is looking rudderless.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggie2012

Dear Slim...
wangus12
AG
Where do you guys see us finishing this season. I want to be optimistic with the new signings, Emery and a new feeling around the club, but I think realistically, we may struggle to break the top 4. We have a massive change in philosophy that will take some time to take hold and the our back line scares the hell out of me.

I think we'll be 5/6th and challenge for the Europa again. Hope we do better, but I'm wary.

Plus I think we may be about to send Rambo to Chelsea which will really piss me off.
chjoak
AG
Tend to agree with you. Don't think the roster is quite yet what it needs to be for Emery's system. Our pressing in preseason has been bad which has made our D look worse. I think we will get there but will lose some points early in the season that will cost us later. 4th is possible but 5-6th is more likely. Maybe we can pull it together and win Europa so we can be in CL next season.
texagbeliever
League seems to be between liverpool and city.

I'm not sold on tottenham, arsenal, man united or chelsea. I think the spuds could suffer from post world cup fatigue. Arsenal has a spotty backline. Man u has Jose collapse syndrome. Chelsea seem to be out of syncs and could lack fire power. I think Arsenal will finish 3rd. I'm way too optimistic haha.
gougler08
AG
I'll get back to you after Sunday...if we are at least competitive I'll feel much better about this season
TXAggie2011
AG
The team will finish 5th. It will go through scoring droughts and the club will show defensive cracks both while pressing after possession changes and when back in their defensive 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 shapes. The midfield will continue to lack some of the sustained playmaking spark that has it has lacked outside of Ozil.

But, some cheap goals will he had and the club will settle in after the new year.
TXAggie2011
AG
In short, we will make essentially the same complaints we have been making that the club lacks spark and gives up annoying goals. The context of the complaints will just be a little different.
agdoc2001
AG
1. Citeh
2. Pool
3. Spuds
4. Manu
5. Chelski
6. Arse

We need a backbone and buying end of career euro players isn't going to give us one.
wangus12
AG
I don't know man. Did you watch Lichsteiner play against Lazio. That dude was not having any of their cheap tackle **** and looked ready to kill someone.
OregonAggie
AG
wangus12 said:

I don't know man. Did you watch Lichsteiner play against Lazio. That dude was not having any of their cheap tackle **** and looked ready to kill someone.

That dude is a damn man and a leader. I think he's going to be very good for you guys.
OneBlitzer
AG
My prediction is a very Arsenal fourth place finish. I'm optimistic the addition of Emery, Lichtsteiner and Torreira will improve the mental fortitude of the club. Success improves on the road against the fourteen smaller clubs limiting the maddening dropped points. Ozil and Aubameyang have big years and the defense will be good enough.
wangus12
AG
Early rumors today.

Ospina + 12m for Vida from Besiktas

Rambo maybe closer on new deal

Jenkinson possibly to Swansea
chjoak
AG
I'd be ok with all of those
agdoc2001
AG
wangus12 said:

Would you play him on the right against Sane this weekend?
chjoak
AG
Looking the current over 21 1st team roster...

GK - Leno, Cech, Ospina, Martinez
DF - Koscielny, Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, Nacho, Kolasinac, Bellerin, Lichtsteiner, Jenkinson
MF - Ozil, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Torreira, Xhaka, ElNeny, Iwobi, Campbell
ST - Aubameyang, Lacazette, Welbeck, Perez

That's 7 HG and 18 International. When the 25 man roster is submitted we are allowed a max of 17 international players. Currently 2 HG and 4 International are rumored to be on the block and the rest are expected to contribute. If by some chance we are able to offload all of the 6 on the block (doubtful) that would leave us with 3 international spots to play with and 6 total roster spots. In all likelihood those will be filled with u21s (Mavropanos, AMN, Nelson, Nkitiah, Guendouzi). With Chambers sent on loan, the biggest roster concern should be CB assuming Mustafi is indeed transferred out as a few have suggested.
wangus12
AG
agdoc2001 said:

wangus12 said:

Would you play him on the right against Sane this weekend?
Tough question. With our CBs being slow as ****, we need Bellerin's pace there, but he has probably been the worst performer of the preseason and is terribly out of form. Lichsteiner is still coming off of vacation and isn't completely match fit. His positioning is way better, but if we are pressing high and someone beats that line, its gonna be all on AMN to come across and hopefully save us.

If we are getting anything out of the game, its gonna be by scoring 2-3+ goals
texagbeliever
Well chelsea just got a bit weaker. New gk for them this year.
chjoak
AG
They are getting Kepa Arrizabalaga from Bilboa as a replacement. He is young but pretty damned good. Wenger was after him before we got Cech.

Based on reports it seems to be a weird bit of business though. To get Kepa they had to trigger his 70m GBP release clause. But they gave up Courtois for approx 40m GBP plus a loan of Kovacic. Think there is a buy clause in the loan but that actually makes the deal it worse to me. In the end they end up basically trading Courtois for Kovacic and paying 70m for a replacement.
chjoak
AG
Reading some speculation now that we may keep Campbell around and give him a go at wing vs buying another wing this window.
agdoc2001
AG
Perez to hammers for 5 million
wangus12
AG
Boom. Like a new signing
chjoak
AG
Perez official to West Ham
Claims we have backed off Vida
Lots of Ospina activity but only loan offers so far
3-4 PL clubs expressing interest in Welbeck
wangus12
AG
And somehow Jenkinson is still there making 45k/wk
chjoak
AG
Thats exactly why he is still here. He doesn't wanna take a pay cut.
gougler08
AG
I had forgotten he still was on the team
chjoak
AG
**** Marin claiming we put in a 100m euro bid for Dembele but Ornstein has already come out and said that the claim is false.

Ornstein also saying that Ramsey extension is looking good but not close yet.

Reading claims elsewhere that we are in for Marquinhos (CB PSG) and Zouma (CB Chelsea).
AGC
AG
chjoak said:

They are getting Kepa Arrizabalaga from Bilboa as a replacement. He is young but pretty damned good. Wenger was after him before we got Cech.

Based on reports it seems to be a weird bit of business though. To get Kepa they had to trigger his 70m GBP release clause. But they gave up Courtois for approx 40m GBP plus a loan of Kovacic. Think there is a buy clause in the loan but that actually makes the deal it worse to me. In the end they end up basically trading Courtois for Kovacic and paying 70m for a replacement.

No Spanish reports of the Courtois fee lately. You getting that number from the original double purchase reports a few weeks ago?

They're also reporting no buy clause for Kovacic.
chjoak
AG
Numbers on Courtois were from some random report yesterday. May not have been valid. Kovacic buy clause info came from some Chelsea boards that were claiming it.
chjoak
AG
Southampton reportedly tried to make a run at Welbeck until they saw his wage demands
chjoak
AG
Seeing some claims that we made a run at 20yo Lille LB Hamza Mendyl. He was in London to finalize the deal but there may have been some issue getting paperwork submitted to the PL so the deal may not have gone down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.