Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

115,349 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Technically we have a good number of defenders on the roster (albeit some injured) and only Holding is out long term. Other than Holding, we currently have 4 Sr CB (2-3 others that can cover there), 3 Sr RBs (1-2 others that can cover), 2 Sr LB (1-2 others that can cover). You could definitely argue that the quality is not there but honestly the numbers aren't bad as long as we don't have another long term injury or 2. There are rumors that we made an offer for Bailly, kicked the tires on Cahill and atleast inquired about 2-3 other versatile DF from France & Italy. My best guess is that the right deals to help rebuild the quality weren't there so we opted to hold off until summer.

Looking at the summer...

GK - gotta replace Cech and I don't think Martinez is gonna be the guy. Unless they opt to retain Ospina (highly doubt it) they will need atleast a capable backup if not someone to push Leno. My $0.02... I'd first try to sign a FA. If no good ones available, id look for young guys that can be had on the cheap. Between #2 & #3 you need atleast 1 HG.

CB - decisions to make. Think we need to building towards a 4 man back line. Sokratis can/should be retained. He is atleast a strong backup if he continues having little injuries. Kos has looked good but assuming he is open, we need to decide if we think he is good enough to stick around or if we should go ahead and cash out. If Holding comes back strong that helps. Mustafi should be sold and replaced. Mav is the wildcard. He is still young and hopefully gets some minutes the rest of the year. If he isn't gonna play much next season I'd like to see him on loan and see one of the other U21s get 4th/5th CB duty. In my mind we need 1-2 CBs in the summer.

LB - more decisions. Nacho still looks solid but he is no spring chicken. They picked up his option so he can't walk away this summer. My guess is we sell him to a Spanish club. Kola has some defensive deficiencies but i'd guess he is on the roster next season. That leaves us with replacing Nacho. Question is do we look for a starting caliber or do we go young and hope they can take the starting spot from Kola?

RB - Licht is a FA and Jenks is crap. Really need a solid backup for Bellerin. I'd be inclined to find someone that can play multiple positions (CB/RB or DM/RB) since Bellerin likely gets the majority of starts when healthy.

CM/DM - Would like to see us sign a starting caliber player and/or a true DM. I think we are gonna sell ElNeny and then stand pat until the following summer. Between Torreira, Xhaka, Duezy, AMN and Chambers (has been doing very well as a DM at Fulham) the rotation is gonna be too crowded without a bunch of sales/loans.

CAM/W - Ozil likely gets sold. Ramsey gone. Think there is a good chance that Miki is sold as well. That leaves us with Suarez (assuming we pick up the option), Iwobi, Nelson & Smith-Rowe. Bare minimum you need 1 starting quality player here. Maybe 2 if we opt to go back to Emery's 4-2-3-1 (id personally stick with a 4-2-2-2).

ST - Playing with 2 ST up top has been a positive for the offense. I'd like to see it continue. The problem, Welbeck will be gone and we only have 2 other Sr ST on the roster with one being 30 next season. Desperately need a younger guy that is good enough to rotate with PAE/Laca. Could also use Nelson in this role but it wouldn't hurt to also get another W capable of playing ST for versatility.

Recap...

Out (FA or probably should / likely will Sell) - 4 definite, 8 additional possible.
Cech
Martinez (possible)
Kos (possible)
Mustafi (possible)
Nacho (possible)
Licht
Jenks (possible)
ElNeny (possible)
Ramsey
Ozil (likely)
Miki (possible)
Welbeck

Not likely we end up with turnover of 12 players but everyone on that list is a very possible change in our roster next season.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Jenks is crap
Pfft wrong.

wangus12
AG
Also Barcelona have announced that Suarez has extended his contract and joined us on loan.
agdoc2001
AG
wangus12 said:

Also Barcelona have announced that Suarez has extended his contract and joined us on loan.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Nketiah & Smith-Rowe linked with Bundesliga loans
chjoak
AG
Per Ornstein, our attempts to sign Perisic & Carrasco appear to be dead. Suarez is done. Will be announced Thursday. Still working to finalize a deal for Nkunku.
wangus12
AG
agdoc2001
AG
Apparently Ozil has turned down a loan to PSG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
Be prepared for that to happen on transfers as well. He's 30 with 2.5 years left on his contract and a fat paycheck. He has to agree to the transfer as well and nobody is gonna want to take his salary unless its China, not to mention we will get a cut rate for him regardless.

I think I even read somewhere that we were offering to cover half of his wages when he goes.
agdoc2001
AG
ESR loaned to RB Leipzig. Weird one, feels like we could have used him for Europa games.
chjoak
AG
Unless we are planning to play the 1s in EL moving forward to secure a place in CL next season.
wangus12
AG
chjoak said:

Unless we are planning to play the 1s in EL moving forward to secure a place in CL next season.
That was always gonna be the plan in my mind.
agdoc2001
AG
chjoak said:

Sure, but I was thinking more like a 2nd leg match against Bate (assuming we win the 1st one)
chjoak
AG
Well he hasn't played much in the last 2-3 months. Guess they are hoping he will get more minutes and see some growth like Nelson.
wangus12
AG
He was out all of December with an injury.
wangus12
AG
Xhaka didn't travel with the squad.

gougler08
AG
That back line against City
wangus12
AG
OneBlitzer
AG
Iwobi gifts Man City possession. Man City up one.
gougler08
AG
OneBlitzer said:

Iwobi gifts Man City possession. Man City up one.

That was fast
wangus12
AG
Its cool right. City scored in the 1st ****ing minute against Newcastle and lost too.
AggieRob93
AG
Never been an Iwobi fan, and that turnover deep confirms my feelings toward his play.
OneBlitzer
AG
Nice! Koscielny equalizes! Game on!
wangus12
AG
I still can't get over the fact that Iwobi starts over Ozil and Ramsey
wangus12
AG
Guendouzi looking good today
wangus12
AG
How has DeBuryne not gone into the book yet
wangus12
AG
Lichtstiener might as well be a lamp post
OneBlitzer
AG
Nice goal by man city. Arsenal down 2-1. Could have have done better on defense.
wangus12
AG
OneBlitzer
AG
Need a midfield change to have a chance for three points. Suerez and Ramsey would be fun.
OneBlitzer
AG
Nevermind. Three points ain't happening.
wangus12
AG
Well. They've come down the left at Licht every single time. Pretty easy to see that. Even if the get to arm it over the line, we simply don't have a viable defense right now
agdoc2001
AG
wangus12 said:

Well. They've come down the left at Licht every single time. Pretty easy to see that. Even if the get to arm it over the line, we simply don't have a viable defense right now

If only there was a time during the season when teams who had acquired a number of injuries could go out and potentially replace those injured players.
OneBlitzer
AG
Yep. Too bad Kroenke ain't in it to win it.
wangus12
AG
Apparently that costs money we don't have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.