Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

116,180 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
agdoc2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chjoak said:

Ozil is a good player but it gets kind of hard to watch him loaf around and then look like he is upset/board all of the time. I don't see him going anywhere soon due to his salary but I am past the point where I am ok seeing him go.

That's a very common misconception regarding Ozil. He runs a lot, but he has such a languid style that he doesn't seem to be busting a gut.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdoc2001
AG
That being said. I also wouldn't shed too many tears if we moved him on. I just don't think we can lose both Rambo and Ozil in the same summer and pretend to have top club aspirations.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wangus12
AG
Ozil isn't going anywhere. The dude just signed a huge contract with us. It sounds like Rambo is gonna leave on a free next summer since the club pulled their contract offer
wangus12
AG
Nelson scores his second for Hoffenheim today

https://streamable.com/t7w24
TXAggie2011
AG
We win 5-1, Ramsey helps score a thing of beauty, and we're arguing again about Ozil.
chjoak
AG
agdoc2001 said:

chjoak said:

Ozil is a good player but it gets kind of hard to watch him loaf around and then look like he is upset/board all of the time. I don't see him going anywhere soon due to his salary but I am past the point where I am ok seeing him go.

That's a very common misconception regarding Ozil. He runs a lot, but he has such a languid style that he doesn't seem to be busting a gut.
Is it really relevant looking at 2016/17 stats?
- That was 2 yrs ago
- We still had CL games as motivation

I could be completely off base, but if you watch him now, I see no way in hell that he is moving around that much. If he is, it is incredibly deceptive and/or wasted movement.
chjoak
AG
Adidas deal official... 5yr 300m GBP.
TXAggie2011
AG
Re-watching the Fulham game with a little more sleep and coffee in my system.

I really like how the holding midfielders (Xhaka, Gunedouzi, etc.) moved out wide into the fullback-ish positions when Arsenal were attacking.

It allowed Monreal and Bellerin to move up into high attacking positions without Arsenal leaving much room for Fulham to counterattack down the wings.

I think the Xhaka-Bellerin dynamic on the right will be particularly important---and allow Bellerin to attack like he wants to without getting eaten alive on a counter.
chjoak
AG
I finally watched yesterday and found it interesting that we appeared to be running a 4-2-2-2 the entire game. At the start of the game Miki drifted central a good bit (mostly when we attacked down the left) and Welbz was all over the place but it appeared to me like we were running...

------------- Welbz --- Laca --------------
Iwobi ----------------------------------- Miki
------------ Torreira -- Xhaka ------------
Nacho -- Holding -- Mustafi -- Bellerin

With Welbz in there you could have made the argument that we were playing stacked ST with he playing more of a SS role. When PAE was subbed for Welbz there was much more of a distinct side-by-side 2 ST setup. For a bit after Ramsey came on it even seemed like he was running as a 2nd ST vs later when we seemed to shift to the typical 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and he was on the wing.
wangus12
AG
Maitland-Niles is back in full training, bit apparently Welbeck has pulled a hamstring with the England squad
agdoc2001
AG
Thierry named Monaco manager. Big job ahead of him as they are currently 18th in Ligue 1.
agdoc2001
AG
chjoak said:

agdoc2001 said:

chjoak said:

Is it really relevant looking at 2016/17 stats?
- That was 2 yrs ago
- We still had CL games as motivation

I could be completely off base, but if you watch him now, I see no way in hell that he is moving around that much. If he is, it is incredibly deceptive and/or wasted movement.
I believe the 17/18 stats were said to be similar, but I couldn't find anything online. So I really don't have any idea. The same complaints were being made about Ozil in 16/17 as you are voicing now, so it seemed relevant. Grain of salt and all that.
chjoak
AG
Ramsey has spoken up and confirmed that a deal was agreed and Arsenal later pulled the offer. Arsenblog is claiming the Arsenal pulled the offer only after Ramsey's camp went silent for a couple weeks after accepting terms. It I'd presumed that his agent was shopping the deal to see if a better deal would materialize for Jan or the summer.
TXAggie2011
AG
I wish they could reach a deal and I don't think it healthy for the situation to continue on like this, but I don't know what to make of this or who to blame.

I want Ramsey to stay, and I certainly don't want him leaving for free or at a high discount.
chjoak
AG
Not gonna disagree but if true that we agreed deal and they stalled in order to shop around then this is on Ramsey and I'm perfectly ok with Arsenal pulling the offer. At this point I'd rather move him on in Jan do A) we get something in return and B) we don't have a distraction in the locker room.
wangus12
AG
I've heard it was upper management that pulled the offer and not Emery. For what its worth, trying to shoehorn both Rambo and Ozil into this team has been a headache to start the season. Bummed to see him on his way out, but I'm hoping that if we get some really good performances we can still resign him. I just don't want to see him anywhere else in England. I'm really tired of our stars going to rivals.
wangus12
AG
Reiss Nelson Free-kick with the England U21's. 2 goals in 2 games at that level now.

https://streamable.com/h0x1c
TXAggie2011
AG
Manchester United-Chelsea ended exactly how I hoped it would. All square and everyone yelling at each other.

With Bournemouth drawing, let's take 3 points and start to separate the top 5 from the field.

wangus12
AG
Nelson scored a brace today for Hoffenhiem. He keeps it up and we may bring him back in January
wangus12
AG
Finally back to a match day.
wangus12
AG
Zech Medley is on the bench for the first time tonight. Also Nacho was a late scratch with a muscle issue

PJYoung
AG
Why isn't Auba starting? Fitness?
wangus12
AG
Probably a tactical decision. We saw what happened against Fulham when you bring Auba on against tired legs. Same with Ramsey. Granted they both played 2 full international matches and we have a game on Thursday. FA can get ****ed for scheduling us on a Monday with European matches midweek. ****** move on their part.
wangus12
AG
Nobody has woken up yet.
gougler08
AG
We woke up
ryanhnc10
AG
Damn that was a hell of a goal
wangus12
AG
I get a patient at 1-nil down. I get back at 3-1 up. I'm going back into that exam room
gougler08
AG
So we'll be 2 points off the top of the table after tonight...with starting the season 0-2 (playing #1 and #3). I'd say Emery is doing pretty well so far
gougler08
AG
I just realized that I get in to London on Dec 2nd around noon and we play Spuds at 2pm that day...any good pubs to watch the match at in central London or closer to the Emirates?
wangus12
AG
Twelve Pins or Tollington Arms. Those are both close to the Emirates though. Not sure about central London
gougler08
AG
wangus12 said:

Twelve Pins or Tollington Arms. Those are both close to the Emirates though. Not sure about central London

I don't mind taking the tube up to the Emirates...I need to move around to avoid jet lag anyways
PJYoung
AG
That was one of the best team goals I've ever seen from Arsenal to go up 3-1. So pretty.

And what a match from Ozil. Wow.

texagbeliever
That was the ozil that makes people be like oh yeah he real good.

That second half arsenal was impressive. I think low to mid table teams will stop pressing high up the pitch unless they want to give up the next great team goal.
agdoc2001
AG
Great 2nd half. Why do we always start so slow?
wangus12
AG
Yes. Carl Jenkinson has traveled with the club

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.