Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

115,766 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PJYoung said:

40m?
Sell (per TransferMarkt)...
Ospina - 3m
Mustafi - 25m
Nacho - 9m
ElNeny - 9m
Chambers - 15m
Miki - 25m

And that number gets a little better
chjoak
AG
Looking like we could get CL regardless of the outcome of the EL final. Read a report this morning that City is being investigated for financial irregularities. If found to be breaking the rules they would face a CL ban. Per the rules we would be next in line for their spot. If we win EL, United would get City's spot.
chjoak
AG
Also, Looks like Griezmann is headed to Barca so we may be in the clear with Laca.
OregonAggie
AG
chjoak said:

Looking like we could get CL regardless of the outcome of the EL final. Read a report this morning that City is being investigated for financial irregularities. If found to be breaking the rules they would face a CL ban. Per the rules we would be next in line for their spot. If we win EL, United would get City's spot.

That would be interesting but I read yesterday that City could appeal it and be allowed in CL for next year, with the ban taking place in 2020-2021.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/15/sports/manchester-city-champions-league-uefa.html

Quote:

It set out what would be a fundamentally different tournament to the one that currently occupies screens and minds: 24 teams would, under the proposal, no longer have to qualify for the Champions League through domestic competition. They would become, essentially, a permanent class of Champions League teams, a continental superleague in all but name, and the death knell, according to Richard Scudamore, the outgoing chairman of the Premier League, of more than a century of domestic soccer.
TXAggie2011
AG
PJYoung said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/15/sports/manchester-city-champions-league-uefa.html

Quote:

It set out what would be a fundamentally different tournament to the one that currently occupies screens and minds: 24 teams would, under the proposal, no longer have to qualify for the Champions League through domestic competition. They would become, essentially, a permanent class of Champions League teams, a continental superleague in all but name, and the death knell, according to Richard Scudamore, the outgoing chairman of the Premier League, of more than a century of domestic soccer.

**** that noise.
Strangely Attractive
AG
Yeah, that's a terrible idea. Nothing about European soccer should ever be permanent. That's one of the things that make it great.
OregonAggie
AG
I remember reading something about this a few months this ago. This will simply create a huge divide amongst the haves and have nots, and also destroy hope of competitiveness across Europe. We would basically end up with the same top 4 in the EPL every year because no stud players would want to play for a team that doesn't auto qualify for the tournament.

I guess the one silver lining is that Man U would probably start out in one of the lower divisions and their fans heads would all explode...

Liverpool would surely be in the top division, which is great as a Liverpool fan, but I'm just flat out against this dumb plan.
wangus12
AG
Ruben Loftus-Cheek got hurt last night in Chelsea's friendly with MLS side New England. Could miss the final.
Smokedraw01
Any thoughts on Adrien Rabiot joining the team? The guys at TSS were talking about how he would be a good addition.
eiggA2002
AG
Quote:

Ruben Loftus-Cheek got hurt last night in Chelsea's friendly with MLS side New England. Could miss the final.
Ruptured achilles. Sarri was so adamantly against this match for good reason.
chjoak
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Any thoughts on Adrien Rabiot joining the team? The guys at TSS were talking about how he would be a good addition.

Skill wise... I think he could be the near ideal partner for Torreira. Attitude wise... May not be the best option. If he matures he would be awesome. Hasn't always shown that maturity at PSG.
yobri
It also says the penalty is "as much as" a CL ban. Does not say it is a ban.
chjoak
AG
Keep hearing that Zidane is interested in Auba and that Real is willing to pay 75m. Also read that Zidane doesn't rate Llorente, Reguillon or Ceballos. As much as I would hate to see Auba go, if we could sell him for 75 and the turn around and get 2-3 of Llorente, Reguillon, Ceballos and Hermoso (RM has a 7m buyback) that would go a long way to strengthening the squad.
chjoak
AG
Wrong emoji. Slip of the thumb on my phone.
wangus12
AG
Auba for 75m is a no from me. But thats because I waited for 6 years for us to finally buy him.

Also, Santi Cazorla got called up into the Spain squad. Can we have him back yet
wangus12
AG
Apparently we played an in house scrimmage last week and Welbeck scored a hat trick.

We are playing another closed doors scrimmage against an Austrian side this week,

Also sounds like Emery is going to let Steve Bould go this summer
TXAggie2011
AG
This three weeks between matches thing is killing me.
chjoak
AG
Recent & persistent links...

Kostas Manolas - 35m euro release clause. Rumored to be between us and Juventus but we have the edge due to Sokratis and increased likelihood of playing time. Biggest hindrance for us, we may not have CL. Beat Chelsea next week and we likely win his signature.

Hakim Ziyech - 25m euro release clause. Ajax has conceded that he is gone. 1 yr ago in an interview he stated that his dream team to play for would be Arsenal or Barca.

Leandro Trossard - Rumored 20m euro asking price. Belgium scoring winger (22 goals this season). Has been rumored to Arsenal or 2-3 German clubs. He has started hinting about a move to England.
wangus12
AG
Its official that Mkhitaryan won't be going with the squad to Baku for the EL Final. Absolute joke that one of our more important players can't be guaranteed his safety to the point where he can't travel.

My wish now is for Auba to wear a Mkhi shirt underneath his and when he scores the match winner he'll reveal it.
wangus12
AG
It was just announced that Cech is going to be new Sporting Director at Chelsea next year. If we were looking for an opportunity to play Leno instead of him, there it is.
chjoak
AG
From an interview with Sanllehi RE our summer transfer window...

Quote:

"What I can tell you is that we have identified very clearly and unanimously with our head coach and technical people, we know what we want to prioritize and we're very clear on what our priorities are," he said.

"We're already in the market and we're already talking with the people that can help us to cover those positions.

"I feel quite strong on the inputs that I'm getting so far. I do believe that we have a very good plan to cover those positions to be much stronger next year to deliver the success that we're all hoping for."

"Of course being in the Champions League is very helpful, because all players want to play in the ultimate competition,"

"For us, if by any chance we would not be there next year which I don't think is going to happen but if that happened, our challenge would be to get in there immediately.

"Players that come and join us and get into that successful project, it's an exciting thing for them.

"We have a lot to offer to a player. I don't feel in disadvantage with anybody. The league, the Premier League, is exciting for any player in the world.

"London, Arsenal, the history, the dimension of the club, the stadium, the facilities at Colney, the fanbase, the followers around the world and the exposure.

"Really, I feel like I have a lot of ammunition when I talk with players to engage them in our project."
wangus12
AG
This looks to be legit.

chjoak
AG
Like the home. Not a huge fan of the "bruised banana" so don't really like the away. Do like that we are getting back to red home and yellow away. Hopefully we have a cool 3rd.
byfLuger41
AG
Quote:

Not a huge fan of the "bruised banana" so don't really like the away.

Coming from a Chelsea fan, you sir are dead wrong. Bruised banana is probably one of the best kit's ever worn in the history of ever.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
agdoc2001
AG
That banana requires far more bruising!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
agdoc2001 said:

That banana requires far more bruising!
I wouldn't call that bruised. I'd call that a mildly over ripe unbruised banana.
ptothemo
AG
If those kits end up being the real deal, then they can just take all my money. Love, love, love them both.
wangus12
AG
Calling it now. Danny Welbeck comes off the bench in this match.

TXAggie2011
AG
Is it game week yet?

I can't take it any longer
wangus12
AG
Rumor that Kante got hurt in training for Chelsea and may be out for the final. Would be an advantage for us.
Smokedraw01
wangus12 said:

Rumor that Kante got hurt in training for Chelsea and may be out for the final. Would be an advantage for us.

Loftus-Cheek is already injured, right?
gougler08
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

wangus12 said:

Loftus-Cheek is already injured, right?

Yeah, Achilles I believe
Strangely Attractive
AG
Love the kits except I saw a photo wearing red socks, when I prefer white, but that's picking nits...like that we have the traditional white shorts. When we wore red shorts earlier this year it was way to Liverpooly.
wangus12
AG
The nuts on these guys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.