Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

115,744 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
agdoc2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

Apparently that costs money we don't have.

So I hear.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Rumors that our summer transfer pot will be 45m GBP. Gonna have to offload some guys and be creative to make that work.

Several FAs (assuming my sources are right on the contract dates) we could look at to help with the budget. Been linked with a few...

30+ but maybe worth a look...
Godin (I'd be a little surprised if he left)
Filipe Luis (same age as Nacho, might as well keep Nacho)
Kompany (doubt he would play anywhere but City)
David Luiz
Mata (linked)

1st team guys under 30...
Brahimi (linked)
Rabiot (linked)
Ander Herrera

Young guys that could be worth a flier...
Alex Remiro
Andreas Pereira (HG, linked)
Jordan Jukaku
Roger Guedes

Also reading this morning that we should get some immediate salary relief from some departures...

FAs
Ramsey 110kpw
Cech 100kpw
Lichtsteiner 90kpw
Welbeck 70kpw
Jenkinson 45kpw

Others that could be moved
Nacho 65kpw
Mustafi 85kpw
ElNeny 60kpw
Ozil 350kpw

Ignoring possible transfer fees that is between 415 and 975kpw that could be freed up.

agdoc2001
AG
We absolutely cannot buy any more players over 30. A self sustaining model means you need to be able to sell the player on at the end of their contract for a reasonable fee. Bringing up Academy players and identifying young talent is the way forward.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
I tend to agree but cant guarantee that the FO is on board
texagbeliever
You cant sell anybody if you overpay them.
wangus12
AG
John Cross is the guy who said that and he tends to be about as inaccurate as can be. David Ornstein did an interview this morning and said the chest will probably be closer to 100m.
chjoak
AG
100m would be nice. That on top of offloading bloat would set us up for a nice overhaul.
wangus12
AG
True. I'm sure nobody really knows at this point what we will have available. We really need to find a way to get Ozil out because his contract has really messed everything for us right now.
chjoak
AG
Agreed. His contract would free up wage budget for 3-5 players.
BullSprig07
AG
wangus12 said:

We really need to find a way to get Ozil out because his contract has really messed everything for us right now.
This is so weird to read, I started following Arsenal about 4 years ago and there was so much optimism with him and Alexis.
chjoak
AG
Alexis could actually work with this team. His playing style fits Emery's pressing significantly better than Ozil. Unfortunately his wages are even higher than Ozil's.
wangus12
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

wangus12 said:

We really need to find a way to get Ozil out because his contract has really messed everything for us right now.
This is so weird to read, I started following Arsenal about 4 years ago and there was so much optimism with him and Alexis.
Believe me, I was one of them and I still really like him. However, he doesn't really fit into this team right now and Emery doesn't really want him it seems so we are blowing 350k/wk on a sideline player. It really destroys our wage structure.
wangus12
AG
Apparently Aubameyang and Ozil are both out sick, Rambo has a knee issue and Xhaka is still out. Huddersfield can park the bus and we are going to really struggle to create anything

gougler08
AG
Hope Laca can pull something out of his ass
wangus12
AG
I still can't figure out what exactly our tactics are supposed to be, but being dominated by the worst team in the league currently seems to make me take issue with whatever we are doing
wangus12
AG
Iwobi!
texagbeliever
On the goal you can see the power of the wind as I thought for sure kolasinac's ball was deflected but it was the wind that changed the trajectory
wangus12
AG
2-nil
gougler08
AG
That was the easiest half I can remember for this team...let's see if it continues

And I know some don't love Iwobi, but I think he's going to be outstanding
gougler08
AG
Well apparently not, they should have scored already but good save by Leno
wangus12
AG
Sucks that Iwobi got screwed out of that 2nd goal that he hammered in. I thought he was onside
chjoak
AG
I think VAR would have awarded that goal
wangus12
AG
This has been a comedy on our breaks. Iwobi misses a 1v1 and then Miki falls over in the box when he could have passed to Laca for a tap in
wangus12
AG
Of course no clean sheet
chjoak
AG
We really need to rebuild the defence this summer. Think we have the guys in MF & FW that we could make due with a depth/prospect signing or 2 and focus our efforts on defence. Get a starting quality CB & LB. Then depth at RB along with a winger/striker prospect. Stick with a 4-man back line with a 4-3-3 (1 #6 & 2 #8), 4-4-2 diamond or 4-2-2-2 depending on MF/FW personnel.
AggieRob93
AG
Agree with the above, but the midfield has been complicit this season in the gross play of the back line. Overall, the play has been poor, and I think it further adds to the issues at the back.
chjoak
AG
Agree. The the one major MF addition I would be looking for would be a true DM. Doesn't have to be an old school destroyer. Just a defensive minded MF that truly protects the defense and gets the ball moving forward. Xhaka has the ball moving forward part but he is not a good defender. Torreira can be defensive but I think he is better as a box to box ball winner. Duezy is more of a box to box. ElNeny is our only true DM but he isn't good enough. Assuming he would be willing to play as a true #6 I'd really like to see us sign Rabiot. He is basically Xhaka with actual defensive ability.
chjoak
AG
Seen somemore info from Ornstein...

He says the summer budget will likely be 100m GBP + transfer outs. That means we could easily be looking at 150-175m to play with after the sale of Ozil, Mustafi & ElNeny.

He also says that he is hearing that Monchi has already agreed to join this summer as Technical Director but he is not running with that yet because it is not 100% confirmed.
wangus12
AG
Apparently Rambo's contract with Juventus is for 400k/wk. His agent is amazing
gougler08
AG
wangus12 said:

Apparently Rambo's contract with Juventus is for 400k/wk. His agent is amazing
No wonder we aren't renewing him
wangus12
AG
Not necessarily. Pretty sure Rambo was going to sign with us for ~200k/wk, but the club pulled the contract
chjoak
AG
He was rumored to have agreed a deal with us (Gazidas) for 200-250k/wk but after Gazidas left, the board didn't want to be saddled with that contract (just like they are trying to get rid of Ozil as well). Ramsey's reported deal with Juventus is base salary plus signing bonus. Main thing I hate about that coming out now is that it sets a level. May make us signing Rabiot as a FA that much tougher. Our biggest advantage with that right now is that the clubs he seems to prefer don't want or have room for him.
wangus12
AG
There was so much hope back then.

Gigem Trevas
wangus12 said:

There was so much hope back then.

Gibbs isn't that good. Ox is injured again for long term. Ramsey a good player but not worth that money. Wilshere is always injured and never reached his potential. Jenkinson also isn't good.
chjoak
AG
Ornstein suggesting on Arsecast that Emery is being instructed to sit Ozil in order to force him (and his high salary) out of the club.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.