Arsenal 2018-2019 Thread

113,886 Views | 2116 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolAggie
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well that escalated quickly
gougler08
AG
Team has looked good to start the season. Smith Rowe and Guendozzi look like they could get some playing time
wangus12
AG
chjoak
AG
Reports of Perez to Fiorentina for 7m GBP and Ospina to Besiktas for a 1.5m GBP loan fee.
wangus12
AG
I'll take 7 for Perez although I actually wish he'd stay. No worse than Welbeck as a sub striker. Granted this will allow Nketiah more minutes.
wangus12
AG
Here is the team list for the players that traveled to Dublin for the match against Chelsea today.

Quote:

Cech, Leno, Martinez; Bellern, Kolasinac, Chambers, Holding, Mustafi, Sokratis, Mavropanos, Osei-Tutu; Maitland-Niles, Elneny, Guendouzi, Smith Rowe, Willock, Ramsey, Mkhitaryan, zil, Nelson, Iwobi; Nketiah, Lucas, Lacazette, Aubameyang.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Here is the team list for the players that traveled to Dublin for the match against Chelsea today.

Quote:

Cech, Leno, Martinez; Bellern, Kolasinac, Chambers, Holding, Mustafi, Sokratis, Mavropanos, Osei-Tutu; Maitland-Niles, Elneny, Guendouzi, Smith Rowe, Willock, Ramsey, Mkhitaryan, zil, Nelson, Iwobi; Nketiah, Lucas, Lacazette, Aubameyang.

Hmmmm....

- If Lucas is with the team then the Fiorentina rumors may be crap
- Xhaka, Torreira, Lichtsteiner & Welbeck not back/ready to participate yet. Don't see that as positive for Welbeck. He has a higher work rate (pressing) then Perez but Perez is far more skilled.
- Where is Nacho? wrote of the Sociedad rumors but find it odd that he isn't playing this preseason. Maybe Emery is looking to get younger/faster at LB.
chjoak
AG
Was having a discussion on another Arsenal MB... what are everyone's thoughts on Ramsey (his contract vs preseason play)? I'll post my thoughts and a recap of the other main points after a few chime in.
gougler08
AG
chjoak said:

wangus12 said:

Quote:

Hmmmm....

- Xhaka, Torreira, Lichtsteiner & Welbeck not back/ready to participate yet. Don't see that as positive for Welbeck. He has a higher work rate (pressing) then Perez but Perez is far more skilled.
- Where is Nacho? wrote of the Sociedad rumors but find it odd that he isn't playing this preseason. Maybe Emery is looking to get younger/faster at LB.
Monreal was our best defender last year, I can't see how we would sell him when our depth is already not great
texagbeliever
Ramsey is a talented player. I dont think he has a spot on this roster without creating some defensive holes. I would sell him.

I'd prefer arsenal play a 4-3-3 and ramsey doesn't play defense consistently well enough to be a mid and isn't a winger.
chjoak
AG
gougler08 said:

chjoak said:

wangus12 said:

Quote:

Hmmmm....

Monreal was our best defender last year, I can't see how we would sell him when our depth is already not great
Tend to agree. However I find it interesting that a vet player that wasn't participating in the WC is not involved in preseason matches with a new coach. Only explanation I can think of is injury or being sold.

Have heard some rumors that we were looking for a winger and LB to finish out our 1st window transition but not seen any names.
wangus12
AG
Nacho did go to the World Cup and reported back on Monday with Xhaka, Lich and Torreira. Only player not back is Welbeck since England advanced all the way to the semi's.

As for Ramsey, I think he is going to resign for what its worth. He hasn't looked all that great in preseason. Emery seems to like him and wants him here. I think if he stays, we will see a possible midfield 3 of Rambo, Xhaka and Torreira. Ozil plays on the wing and Mkhi/Laca on the bench. Not exactly what I want, but its what I could see happening. If anyone needs to be worried, its Xhaka because Guendouzi has looked fantastic in that deep role so far. Granted it is just preseason.

Emile Smith-Rowe has signed a new contract as well.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Nacho did go to the World Cup and reported back on Monday with Xhaka, Lich and Torreira. Only player not back is Welbeck since England advanced all the way to the semi's.
Did he? Guessed I missed where he made Spain's squad.
chjoak
AG
RE Ramsey...

Recap of discussion from other board...

- Ramsey's form/demeanor seems like that of a player looking to leave rather than one looking for a new deal. General expectation among the group is that he should be looking to impress the new manager so he is seen as an indispensable piece to Emery's puzzle.
- Only rumored offer is from Chelsea. Consensus is that A) front office is better at keeping a lid on things B) no one (but possibly Chelsea) is willing to pay the wages we offered C) Ramsey is biding his time to see if we will up the ante (a la Ozil) or D) Ramsey prefers a free transfer exit vs being sold.
- Rumor is Ramsey wants 200-250k GBP/wk. MB doesn't think anyone would give him that unless it's a Bosman (saving on transfer fee) which could be why he is in no hurry to sign a new deal. Assuming he doesn't get hurt before Jan he could cash out on a huge FA deal.

My $0.02...

- Based on my understanding of Emery's system, I see Ramsey & Ozil as both being best in the central #10 or 8/10 hybrid role. Each would play the role differently but would both be most effective there.
- You can't pay Ramsey a huge contract without playing him so is it better to play one of them (Ramsey/Ozil) in a less effective position (wing) or sell one to buy a player that better fits the other role?
- Ozil's contract vs age makes him borderline unsellable right now. Plus it would look bad selling him 6ish months after signing an extension. So your option is to run with what you got or sell Ramsey to buy a winger. If you had to pick. Which option do you like...

A.
-------- Laca --------
PAE -- Ozil -- Miki

B.
---------- Laca ----------
PAE -- Ramsey -- Ozil

C.
---------- PAE ----------
Miki -- Ramsey -- Ozil

D.
----------- PAE -----------
Dembele -- Ozil -- Miki

E.
----------- Laca -----------
Dembele -- Ozil -- PAE

For me...

A is probably your best offensive lineup with current players. PAE is a bit wasted on the wing but I think he is a better wing option then Ozil or Ramsey would be. You may have a little drop off on defense in the middle but I think you see improvement with Xhaka under new coaches and Torreira vs Ramsey defensively should be a huge improvement. Plus Mourinho was able to get Ozil to play a little D at the 10. Emery should be able to as well.

B & C look good in theory but I can't help but wonder if Ozil is a defensive liability on the wing. I just don't see him being a proper pressing winger. Not enough speed or work rate.

D & E is the sell Ramsey and buy a winger scenario. I added Dembele because he is the biggest current rumor. Slot in whomever you like. For me this lineup makes since. Younger/faster winger capable of pressing and everyone else in a position where they are most effective (with the potential exception of PAE on the wing in E)

Ultimately is all boils down to the 10. What is your net loss/gain of Ramsey at the 10 and Ozil on the wing (B/C) vs Ozil at the 10 and Ramsey on the bench/sold (A/D/E). I like Ramsey as a player and I know Emery rates him but for the money, I'm not sure he is a good fit right now.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

If anyone needs to be worried, its Xhaka because Guendouzi has looked fantastic in that deep role so far.
Xhaka started to come on at the end of last season. With better coaching (Emery & his MF coach) and a more defined scheme I think we end up seeing the Xhaka that we all expected when he signed. Duzy shows a ton of potential but if Xhaka can continue to improve his play I think he is safe for atleast a year.
texagbeliever
That lines up with what I was feeling. I think Ramsey would be a better fit for chelsea as they don't have that midfield am (willian is more of a winger).
wangus12
AG
Lineup for today. If we win, we go top of the ICC tournament and knock spuds out of the top spot which is nice.

wangus12
AG
Quote:

D & E is the sell Ramsey and buy a winger scenario. I added Dembele because he is the biggest current rumor. Slot in whomever you like. For me this lineup makes since. Younger/faster winger capable of pressing and everyone else in a position where they are most effective (with the potential exception of PAE on the wing in E)
I love Rambo, but I know he has said in the past he'd like to play abroad. If we get Dembele for Rambo + cash, I'd be happy.
chjoak
AG
Everything I see online is that the game will be in Premier Sports (I don't have). Find any other channel or streaming options?
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

I love Rambo, but I know he has said in the past he'd like to play abroad. If we get Dembele for Rambo + cash, I'd be happy.
I think I might be ecstatic depending on how much cash. The other bonus to this scenario is flexibility.

Ozil - #10 and wing if needed
Dembele - Either wing
Miki - Either wing or #10
Laca - ST
PAE - ST or either wing

Rotate those 5 and throw in sub appearances and spot starts for Welbeck/Nkitiah/Iwobi/Nelson
wangus12
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/soccerstreams/comments/93qsr7/1905_gmt_arsenal_vs_chelsea/
chjoak
AG
Interesting... Ramsey not starting. Has a "problem".
OneBlitzer
AG
Too easy for Chelsea. Down 1 nil.
OneBlitzer
AG
Wow Cech saves a penalty. Nicely done.
wangus12
AG
We might be in big trouble with our back line. Sokratis has been anything but convincing during preseason and Mustafi is his usual self. We keep trying to play out of the back and they aren't comfortable on the ball. Hope Chambers and Holding can magically improve leaps and bounds
texagbeliever
If only we had a forward we could kick the ball into the channels for him to chase. Nah only other teams can do that.
wangus12
AG
Auba whiffs on a tap in. Emery Out!!
chjoak
AG
Duzy looks like a beast in MF. Really hope he continues to develop & improve his defense because he has potential to be special.

Emile looks awful as a #10

Don't know WTF El Neny is doing. Running around alot but is barely touching the ball.
wangus12
AG
Sarri looks like someone's fat italian uncle who drive's a cab in brooklyn.
OneBlitzer
AG
Guendouzi continues to impress and Arsenal still cant finish.
chjoak
AG
Really wonder what the deal is with Kola. He looked great at Schalke and was on fire to start the season last year. Then his confidence went to ***** Still looks very hesitant/unsure especially on offense.
wangus12
AG
At this rate Guendouzi may start against Man City because Elneny has been poor and the others just started training.
wangus12
AG
He seems to absolutely refuse to cross the ball. He passes it back every time
chjoak
AG
That and the scoring chance at the end of half. You can see him get ready to rip a shot and then hesitate and blow the entire chance. Didn't have the best angle but he needed to get that shot on frame and see what happens.
wangus12
AG
Even Auba won't take a shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.