Manchester United 2016-17 Thread

96,225 Views | 1648 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by byfLuger41
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I think its fair to suggest no one rush to judgment and I think no one has.

The allegations come from an incident that is said to have occurred in 2012. If you have not read some of the details, the investigation is aimed at a pimp/sex trafficker who supposedly supplied the women and one of these women is now a witness under protection. Other names besides DDG have come out but supposedly he arranged the activities and the other players actually participated. The article I read on ESPNFC indicated he's not even under investigation. My guess is the authorities might pressure him to provide the trafficker's name or corroborate that side of the story. If its found that he did that he's toast from a PR standpoint. I cant imagine he would get to come back to the club is that is what comes down. If there are charges its worse.

I thought they knew who set it up...Torbe, no?

I doubt anything comes of it. Look at what benzema has done with prostitutes and blackmail. He's still free as a bird.
Dre_00
Zlatan on Sweden's provisional Olympic roster. If he plays, he likely won't join up with United until after the start of the season.
Skitch05
AG
Also, United put in a formal offer for Mkhitaryan from Dortmund and he wants to move to Old Trafford, but Dortmund decided they are going to make him play out his contract and leave on a free next summer. A shame, he plays on the right and would have been a great fit.

On the bright side, it seems like they are working to fill the rather obvious gaps from last season with quality players.
Skitch05
AG
That would be a bummer, looks like Zlatan and Sweden are making one final push for some hardware before he retires internationally.
Dre_00
Giggs linked to the Nottingham Forest job. Some bookies have dropped the odds to 1/2.
Aston94
AG
That is what Giggs needs. He is never going to get a big job like United without some managerial experience.
ja86
AG
quote:
That is what Giggs needs. He is never going to get a big job like United without some managerial experience.
agreed. Be good experience for him.
Skitch05
AG
Zlatan announced he is retiring from Sweden after the Euros and won't play in the Olympics. If he does sign with United, he will be able to play from day one.
Dre_00
Henrikh Mkhitaryn is the latest rumor though this one is an advanced stage. If he signs, I hope he sticks around long enough for me to remember how to spell his name.
Skitch05
AG
quote:
Henrikh Mkhitaryn is the latest rumor though this one is an advanced stage. If he signs, I hope he sticks around long enough for me to remember how to spell his name.

He would be a great get. Similar player to Payet, not as good of a shot but arguably better passing and dribbling, and he is a bit quicker and puts in good defensive work too. He plays RW, which is a spot United definitely need help at.
Dre_00
Probably means that what we all expected to happen when Mourinho was signed will actually happen. The end of Mata.
Skitch05
AG
Agreed.
J-Turn
Word is, Ibra will sign Friday! Read he scored 38 goals last year for PSG! We need those goals bad!
datrixstunna
AG
Ibra is official!
bagger05
AG
Boom.

J-Turn
Grand!
Dre_00
He announced on his Instagram so I'll go ahead and call that official.
Mathguy64
AG
Also announced they would play a friendly against Galatasaray in Sweden as a preseason warm up. What Zlatan wants Zlatan gets.
bagger05
AG
Somebody educate a newcomer:

What is Mou going to do with the formation, and based on what we think we know about who will be on the roster, how do we think the starting eleven will look?
Skitch05
AG
Based on his time at Chelsea and Real, I would expect Mourinho to roll with a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

It looks like the Mkhitaryan transfer might happen, so I will assume he is here. I think United will probably also try and pick up another box to box CM, and any of Schweini/Schneiderlin/Fellaini/Herrera/Blind could start or could be transferred, I have no idea. I think that with Zlatan signing a one year contract, Rashford will probably be used as a super sub off the bench to start the season. I am also assuming Rooney starts since he is captain, but who knows about that as well.

That said, I would expect the lineup to look something like this.

Martial - Zlatan - Mkhitaryan
Rooney
New CM - Carrick
Shaw - Bailly - Smalling - Darmian
DDG

That leaves a ton of quality/expensive players on the bench (Schweini, Herrera, Mata, Blind, Fellaini, Memphis, Rojo, Valencia, Jones, Young) . They pretty much have to offload multiple of them so that they have a place for the youth from last season as well (Rashford, Lingard, Fosu-Mensah, Borthwick-Jackson, Varela).
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Are yall not liking Schneiderlin? I know he was hurt a bit, but he was amazing for southhampton.
Skitch05
AG
Schneiderlin was great at Southampton. He had good moments last season, but for whatever reason LvG stopped playing him as much at the end of the season.

I really like Schneiderlin and would prefer he start over Carrick, but I feel like Mourinho will go with Carrick to start the season. I think Schneiderlin can be a great holding mid if paired with a quality box to box mid (which United don't currently have).
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Hopefully United can offload some of those pieces for cash and use it all on Pogba. I mean, a man can dream right?

And i know its probably heresy to even whisper this, but I really wish United would offload Rooney. Will never happen, but I am personally not a 'uge fan.
jeffk
AG
I feel like we're two seasons from seeing Rooney in a Galaxy jersey.
Thunder18
AG
quote:
Hopefully United can offload some of those pieces for cash and use it all on Pogba. I mean, a man can dream right?

Yes, that would be a great pull
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
What else do yall need this window? ESPN said United had something like 1/4 billion to spend this window, just got a top tier striker for free.
Dre_00
I believe Mourinho said he wanted a CB, center mid, striker, and winger. He's got 2 of the 4 so far.

The roster is definitely bloated. I'd assume there were will be a number of players leaving soon. I actually think Schneiderlin will see an increased role under Mourinho or at least be offered an opportunity for one. Mourinho wants Carrick but he's smart enough to know that Carrick isn't a first XI option at this point in his career week in and week out. He'll be like Scholes was at the end. Spot starter and option of the bench.

The real interesting question is where does he see Rooney playing? Rooney seemed to settle in to his new role in midfield but is that where Mourinho wants to play him? Or does he see him more as a striker/withdrawn striker? No idea. And of course, still a lot of uncertainty as to how much the youngsters will play.
If I had to guess, I would say players like Borthwick-Jackson and Fosu Mensah have the best chance of being used because it doesn't seem like there will be any transfers in that play their positions. Might even have a better chance than Rashford if Rooney gets moved to forward.
aarjon
Hirving Lozano to Man U rumors are picking up again.
Skitch05
AG
Mkhitaryan signing confirmed by Dortmund. Great get.
J-Turn
Any insight on this guy...Don't watch Bundesliga, so really haven't seen much of this guy or really heard much. What position, ect....?
Dre_00
Winger I believe who typically plays on the right. Skillful and willing to play both sides of the ball.
Mathguy64
AG
My son the Borrusia Dortmund supporter is an unhappy camper right now. I'm doing my best to keep him in that state.
Skitch05
AG
Plays on the right wing typically. Voted Bundesliga player of the year last year. He is speedy and good with the ball, but also gets back in defense. Ibra and Mkhitaryan had 73 goals and 44 assists between the two last season, so United should have more firepower this year for sure.

Now bring on Pogba (my Italian friends are saying it is looking like this might actually happen).
J-Turn
Can't believe he left on the free couple years ago! Unbelievable
Dre_00
Mourinho's press conference today. Essentially confirmed that United were looking to add one more player on top of the 3 they have signed. Also said Rooney would be a forward, not a midfielder.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.