Manchester United 2016-17 Thread

94,543 Views | 1648 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by byfLuger41
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's a fine line to be sure but I think it comes down to giving time to players who you think can grow into starters...and then hoping you evaluated them properly.

United's streak of having a youth player in the game day 18 is actually something like 75 years long. It's pretty insane.
Skitch05
AG
I guess Pogba could technically count towards that streak too, if you define it solely as players that came through the academy.
Mathguy64
AG
Drew Northampton Town in the 3rd Rd of the League Cup.
Mathguy64
AG
Europa League draw is Friday at 6:00 am CST. I just looked at the pots. Christ there are some crappy ass clubs in the 'Stans in pots 3 and 4. The travel is going to be brutal.
Mathguy64
AG
This was the draw:

Group A: Manchester United (ENG), Fenerbahce (TUR), Feyenoord (NED), Zorya Luhansk (UKR)

RVP plays for Fenerbahce. Amazing how that worked out.
Dre_00
Really hope we do well in Europa League if only so players like Rashford get a lot of playing time out of it. If Mourinho commits to mostly play reserves in the competition, a QF run gets them 10 starts. Throw in a few league cup games and perhaps a few FA Cup games and those players can get to 15 pretty easily w/o playing any EPL minutes (and they'll probably play at least some once injuries and congested schedules start occurring) but it all hinges on making a deep run in the Europa League.
Dre_00
Pereira is heading to Granada on loan. That's supposedly the last piece of business in or out according to Mourinho.
Mathguy64
AG
Priority #1 is to win the PL

Priority #2(a) is to finish top 4 in PL
Priority #2(b) is to win EL
Since 2(a) and 2(b) both end up at the same place, namely in CL next year, they have equal priority at the start. If you see for certain you are top 4 then winning EL takes a back seat somewhat. If you see you aren't for certain about finishing top 4, the winning EL becomes an absolute must.

datrixstunna
AG
Clear handball not called. These refs FFS.
gougler08
AG
quote:
Clear handball not called. These refs FFS.

Yeah that was pretty bad
Thunder18
AG
We have had a ton of good opportunities this half
datrixstunna
AG
Fergie time baby!! Always looked to score.
Post removed:
by user
datrixstunna
AG
quote:
Heartbreak for hull!

**** Hull!
Skitch05
Mathguy64
AG
Just off the field from reffing preseason matches. At least I have something positive to watch for the next 90 minutes.
Skitch05
AG
Bailly was MotM for me again, he is an absolute beast. His athleticism and strength coupled with Blinds reading of the game make for an exceptional pairing. I don't think Smalling is going to be starting anytime soon. Yellow card aside, Fellaini was also great as the holding mid.

Mkhitaryan and Rashford made a huge difference when they came on. I'm guessing that Mkhitaryan will start for Mata for the City game after the break. Rashford will probably still be used as a super sub for awhile.
Mathguy64
AG
Well that was fun. The amount of talent out there compared to last year and the energy compared to last year is just amazing. And Poor Hull. No real manager. Not enough players. And they really defended bravely that 2nd half because shots came from everywhere and everyone.
Skitch05
AG
Apparently Fellaini injured his back during the game and may miss a few weeks. If true, he would miss the derby. Carrick, Herrera, or Schneiderlin would probably slot in for him in that case.

Also, Aguero threw an elbow last weekend and there is talk he may be suspended for a few games because of it. I wouldn't mind playing them full strength just because it should be a great game, but also wouldn't mind if he misses for obvious reasons.
Dre_00
I'd bet Carrick steps in.
Mathguy64
AG
One year ago today, the much discussed, dreaded and anticipated DDG sale and transfer was up in the air and about to be twisted into a pretzel shape of logic and intrigue of he said/he said and all hell was breaking lose. Today serenity reigns supreme. What a difference a year makes.
Skitch05
AG
The FA is officially charging Aguero with a 3 game suspension. If he doesn't win an appeal, he will be out for the derby.
Skitch05
AG
Scratch that, they are charging Aguero with misconduct, but the punishment isn't announced yet. It should be at least one match though, so he is still out for the derby.
Mathguy64
AG
The only thing they can charge him with is violent conduct as that's what swinging an elbow at another player's head is. He has until tomorrow to appeal but if the charge is upheld he's gone for 3 matches.
datrixstunna
AG
Sure is quiet around here for deadline day.......
ja86
AG
I thought they were pretty much set. Any expected moves?
Dre_00
Will Keane moved to Hull on a transfer. That's about it.
Dre_00
And I'm completely OK with that.
datrixstunna
AG
quote:
I thought they were pretty much set. Any expected moves?
Not at all. Just thought it was a quite refreshing change over the past few years.
Mathguy64
AG
There are rumors that Chelsea is looking to get back Side Show Bob from PSG. Please dear Baby Jesus let this happen.
byfLuger41
AG
quote:
There are rumors that Chelsea is looking to get back Side Show Bob from PSG. Please dear Baby Jesus let this happen.

Not sure why this is so funny...
Dre_00
James Weir is supposedly about to make the move to Hull...probably on loan but not sure. Mike Phelan trying to get the band back together apparently.
ja86
AG
Mkhitaryan picks up injury on international duty.
Skitch05
AG
Hopefully Mkhitaryan's injury isn't bad, I have a feeling that Mourinho was going to start him in the derby to get some more pace on the counter.

Martial scored against Italy today off a great through ball from Pogba. I'm hoping we start seeing that for United soon.
bagger05
AG
Martial didn't look very effective at all against Hull. Just chalking it up to an off game. Luckily we've got options off the bench if one of the starters just isn't feeling it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.