Manchester United 2016-17 Thread

94,587 Views | 1648 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by byfLuger41
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zlatan doing what Zlatan does. Header on the cross from Rooney.
datrixstunna
AG
DARE TO ZLATAN!
Skitch05
AG
I'm loving Pogba in the middle so far.
Mathguy64
AG
The cross was nice. There were two stacked targets. Pogba was 3 yds in front of Zlatan with a defender in no mans land between them. It went over Pogba and Zlatan got it. If it's shorter Pogba was unmarked. That's a nice set of targets.
Dre_00
Correction. 3 goals in 2 games.
Mathguy64
AG
Well we now know who will take PKs. Shaw was dropped in the area and Zlatan buried the kick.
gougler08
AG
Looked like Shaw dropped himself to me, granted I only saw one replay
Dre_00
Clasie didn't complain. I think he made contact with his foot and made Shaw trip himself. Kinda like "that guy" used to do to kids in 7th grade.
Mathguy64
AG
There Was initial contact then Shaw tripped himself. It was definitely weak. But given how few PKs this team got last year I will take it.
Mathguy64
AG
Oh my god. Attacking open field football.
Skitch05
AG
quote:
Oh my god. Attacking open field football.
Aggie_3
this team is extremely fun to watch play and I haven't said that since Sir Alex left.
Mathguy64
AG
Mhki on for Mata.
Aggie_3
Here comes our outstanding Armenian
Mathguy64
AG
Herrera for Martial. Martial had several chances and looked a little frustrated.
Dre_00
Yeah but his second half was miles better than his first and his frustration shifted from not getting the ball to spurning good opportunities.

I'm a little worried about him because his game isn't to cross from a wide position, it's to run at players, run into space, connect, etc. No surprise he came into the game more when there was more space and United relied less on crosses.
bagger05
AG
Twitter updates have been saying Mou has been giving him an earful for much of the game.
Mathguy64
AG
Smalling for...

Wait for it...

Rooney
Thunder18
Mathguy64
AG
That last open field run of Mhki, Zlatan and Pogba. That's a ton of money running at you.
datrixstunna
AG
Nice win from a disjointed effort. This team will be scary once they start clicking.
ja86
bagger05
Skitch05
ja86
AG
looks like Fellaini is in line to get a new contract. I was hoping that Pogba would see the end of his time, but doesn't look that way. Not a big fan of the Fellani - Pogba midfield.
Dre_00
I think that's Mourinho's 1st choice and to be fair, I thought he did really well yesterday.
Mathguy64
AG
I have to admit, Side Show Bob was played well within himself both matches. And I agree, I think Mou wants him as a physical CDM. That would seem to fit his scheme.
Skitch05
AG
I thought Fellaini played great yesterday too. If Mourinho can get him to play as a holding mid and actually shield the defense, then he would be great in that role. Both Moyes and LvG failed at that though, so we will see what happens.
Dre_00
And he didn't get a yellow card. Wasn't even close to getting one I don't think.
Dre_00
James Wilson goes on loan to Derby.
ja86
AG
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson to Wolverhampton Wanderers on a season-long loan
Dre_00
Blackett moves to Reading on a permanent deal. He'll be coached by Jaap Stam which is pretty cool.

If you're counting at home, virtually every youth player LvG handed an opportunity to has left the club either permanently or on loan except for Rashford...who hasn't seen a minute of playing time in the 1st 2 games.
Dre_00
And Fosu-Mensah...who hasn't even made the bench I don't think.
gougler08
AG
Amazing how when you go out and get international stars to replace youngsters, you get better. As an Arsenal fan, I wish this would happen more often for us
Skitch05
AG
The ones that have went out on loan probably weren't going to feature at all this season, so I am OK with it. Rashford and TFM (along with the rest of the players in the stands) will get their chances starting next month when the Cup fixtures start up.

Doesn't United have a streak of something like 20 years where the gameday roster for the senior team has had someone that came through their youth academy on it? Assuming that's true, I'm guessing Rashford will be on the gameday squad for pretty much all season to keep that streak alive, as I think he may be one of the few left that came through the United academy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.