Houston
Sponsored by

2022 DisAstros Thread

175,816 Views | 1876 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Echoes97
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow.
sts7049
AG
link to the article

https://www.insider.com/mlb-used-two-balls-again-this-year-and-evidence-points-to-a-third-2022-12

pretty interesting analysis, definitely seems like something fishy
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
blummer was saying we had dead baseballs early in the season.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Correa to Giants at $350M for 13 years
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
digging tunnels
AG
Absolutely stupid insane contract. Good for Correa, dumb for SF

Glad we got Peña
98Ag99Grad
AG
he'll be healthy for 3 of those years. Gotta be one of the worse contracts ever. Bobby Bonilla level.
TulaneAg
Can't be guaranteed.... If fully or mostly guaranteed then I agree.
htxag09
AG
Nah, he'll be healthy for more than 3. I feel like people over exaggerate the injury proneness of him. It is an absolutely terrible contract that'll drag them down the last several years, though. And I love that.

Brings me to a hypothetical, say you have a guy like judge. What if the Astros offered him 30 years at 12 mil? Think that's a good deal for the Astros? Thought process being you can absorb that 12 mil in the future and won't hurt you as much as 30+ the ladder years of his contract.

I said it was a moot point as I don't see any baseball player taking that kind of contract. They have the competitiveness to be paid the highest per year and they want the money now.
98Ag99Grad
AG
aren't all MLB contracts guaranteed?

Here's the ESPN article: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35249116/san-francisco-giants-carlos-correa-agree-13-year-350m-deal
Sea Speed
AG
Thirty years?
digging tunnels
AG
Yes, all MLB contracts are guaranteed

So this contract will last til he's 41 years old
Bondag
AG
Sea Speed said:

Thirty years?

Bobby Bonilla says Hi
Sea Speed
AG
Yea that is the huuuuge exception not the rule
Bondag
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yep. Mets had it made with all that Bernie Madoff money invested. Was gonna be a steal b
htxag09
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yeah, that's why it's a hypothetical. It's a smaller amount so you can build around him. If he has a solid 8+ years and you win a couple WS, is it worth it to still pay him for another 20 after he's retired? But it's not really enough that you can't absorb it in those years, either.

Essentially, say you have a player that is going to get a 10 year 320mm contract. Would you be better off paying him a little more, say 350mm, but over 30 years.
Texaggie7nine
Basically like a really long car payment.
7nine
txags92
AG
13 years in this era is just ridiculous for any player. There is zero chance that if they perform like you are hoping they will that they won't decide to hold out and renegotiate a better deal by year 6-7. So there is no upside to locking them down for that long and a huge downside if they don't perform up to that level or get hurt.
Texaggie7nine
What if the owner looks at it like "I'm willing to pay you $50+ mil a year these next 2/3 years, but I'm not willing to take the cap penalty due to the other big salaries that I'm paying, so I'm going to spread it out over several years.
7nine
Diggity
AG
htxag09 said:

Nah, he'll be healthy for more than 3. I feel like people over exaggerate the injury proneness of him. It is an absolutely terrible contract that'll drag them down the last several years, though. And I love that.

Brings me to a hypothetical, say you have a guy like judge. What if the Astros offered him 30 years at 12 mil? Think that's a good deal for the Astros? Thought process being you can absorb that 12 mil in the future and won't hurt you as much as 30+ the ladder years of his contract.

I said it was a moot point as I don't see any baseball player taking that kind of contract. They have the competitiveness to be paid the highest per year and they want the money now.
do they make aging pros climb **** when they can't hit anymore?
txags92
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

What if the owner looks at it like "I'm willing to pay you $50+ mil a year these next 2/3 years, but I'm not willing to take the cap penalty due to the other big salaries that I'm paying, so I'm going to spread it out over several years.

Sounds like a great way to make sure you are never a dynasty and won't be able to afford to pay promising newcomers you want to keep. Good if you want a few good years, but not the way to build a long term powerhouse team IMO.
schmendeler
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

For the amount of the contract, it's $50 million/year for seven years, not 2/3 though.
Texaggie7nine
Well for the 10+ years I would think they expect to at least get 6 or more good years worth the high tag.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
txags92 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Sounds like a great way to make sure you are never a dynasty and won't be able to afford to pay promising newcomers you want to keep. Good if you want a few good years, but not the way to build a long term powerhouse team IMO.
But what if you can afford to. Just be a never ending money printer. I mean, the old Yankee's way of doing business worked out if you are paying the right people.
7nine
Bondag
AG
Diggity said:

htxag09 said:

do they make aging pros climb **** when they can't hit anymore?

htownag10
AG
Bondag said:

Sea Speed said:

Thirty years?

Bobby Bonilla says Hi

Also Chris Davis and Ken Griffey Jr
htownag10
AG
People thought Correa wanted 35 million a year. This contract is for $27-ish a year. The Astros could have clearly afforded that but Jim Crane refuses long contracts and rightfully so.

Good for Correa and the agent. Both secure income for the next 13+ years assuming the contract gets restructured for longer payments after he retires.
txags92
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

txags92 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

But what if you can afford to. Just be a never ending money printer. I mean, the old Yankee's way of doing business worked out if you are paying the right people.
The giants don't strike me as the kind of franchise to be a money printing machine.
Texaggie7nine
I was speaking more in general with all these long term signings. If anything Padres look like the new Yankees.
7nine
htxag09
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmRU1xtA3eU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
Jock 07
AG
That dude is a badass, assuming he's the same guy that did the display after the 2017 series?
OXDL45
AG
Sweet!!!
citizenkane06
AG
Brantley re-signs with the 'stros for 1 year at $12M: https://www.mlb.com/news/michael-brantley-astros-agree-to-deal
XpressAg09
AG
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I think this is a good choice at a good price. I like Yuli and Uncle Mike at reduced roles and reduced pay. Very good insurance policies if there are injuries or poor performance.
12th Man Ag
AG
I am fine with their team right now EXCEPT for centerfield. Must get someone better than McCormick, Dubon, or Meyers out there. Especially if we are sticking with Maldanado. We can just give up the 7,8,and 9 spots in the order.

Also, Michael Wacha is still out there. Would love to see him with the Astros.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.