Houston
Sponsored by

2022 DisAstros Thread

179,431 Views | 1876 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Echoes97
StillNotAnAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Captain Winky
Was she expecting a well thought out response from that young fellow?
maroon barchetta
Captain Winky said:

Was she expecting a well thought out response from that young fellow?

That's never going away.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I'm sorry... That's just F***ing stupid. Sports are great, but they're supposed to be educating kids. Of course now you're springing this on parents, many of whom are going to have to figure out on zero notice what to do with their kids tomorrow.
maroon barchetta
One of my teacher friends is all excited about being off tomorrow and said it's pretty normal for big companies to give employees the day off to celebrate when a team wins a title.
Jock 07
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I'm sorry... That's just F***ing stupid. Sports are great, but they're supposed to be educating kids. Of course now you're springing this on parents, many of whom are going to have to figure out on zero notice what to do with their kids tomorrow.

Something tells me that logic isn't a strong suit in hisd
Kenneth_2003
AG
maroon barchetta said:

One of my teacher friends is all excited about being off tomorrow and said it's pretty normal for big companies to give employees the day off to celebrate when a team wins a title.
Fair point. The kids weren't getting a quality education when school does happen anyway.
Jock 07
AG
maroon barchetta said:

And I'm sure is first to ***** when forced to work extra days to make up for hurricane/weather days
maroon barchetta
Jock 07 said:

maroon barchetta said:

And I'm sure is first to ***** when forced to work extra days to make up for hurricane/weather days

I already said they were a teacher.
htxag09
AG
Pretty sure this is standard operating procedure. Wasn't hisd closed in 17 for that parade? Know Atlanta cancelled school for their parade last year. Don't really care enough to look up others.
schmendeler
AG
Classic "old man yells at cloud" reaction
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Stupid priorities, and really stupid to do it on such short notice.

Several hundred schools are hosting elections on Tuesday, which means election workers need access to the facilities tomorrow to set up. Hope this doesn't interfere.
txags92
AG
I suspect it is less about stupid priorities by school leadership and more about the fact they don't have enough staff to cover all of the absent teachers and bus drivers who are going to call in sick to go to the parade
Cromagnum
AG
Harry Lime said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Stupid priorities, and really stupid to do it on such short notice.

Several hundred schools are hosting elections on Tuesday, which means election workers need access to the facilities tomorrow to set up. Hope this doesn't interfere.

It's not like people didn't have plenty of opportunity to vote early .
Stat Monitor Repairman
Where is Charlie Pallilo?

Gonna tune in tomorrow to test my long held theory that even if the Astros won the WS, Charlie would still find something to complain about.
David_Puddy
AG
Unreal. I had SRO and one of my buddies was able to get me into the Budweiser bar for the private party out in center. So the free dranks were flowing all night. I'm still feeling it.
maroon barchetta
David_Puddy said:

Unreal. I had SRO and one of my buddies was able to get me into the Budweiser bar for the private party out in center. So the free dranks were flowing all night. I'm still feeling it.

This is the least surprising post in this thread.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

also the polls are closed today and a huge cut of HISD parents are working class people that can't miss two days of work in a row. So HISD just trapdoored a huge swath of otherwise reliable democrat voters so the political class could score a selfie with Dusty on a fire truck. We may yet be rid of Dora over this decision.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
txags92 said:

I suspect it is less about stupid priorities by school leadership and more about the fact they don't have enough staff to cover all of the absent teachers and bus drivers who are going to call in sick to go to the parade
this is the correct answer but it's still a bad idea.
cajunaggie08
AG
Getting paid by Gow to write his blog but he's currently not on air.
Bondag
AG
David_Puddy said:

You gonna offer the $75,000,000 HR ball to Mack?
Captain Winky
I am probably in the minority, but I can't think of a lamer thing to take off work for than going to to a parade to celebrate a team winning a championship.
Sea Speed
AG
Captain Winky said:

I am probably in the minority, but I can't think of a lamer thing to take off work for than going to to a parade to celebrate a team winning a championship.

Don't you understand? These people had a direct impact on the outcome!
Bondag
AG
Wife said that there were 20 people parked in a lot known for towing when you run across the street for a hamburger. If the towing company works it right they could get about 60 cars today.

That was at 7:00 AM. It is about a mile walk from there to the parade, but judging from the pic she sent they could use the walk.
swimmerbabe11
I went to the parade in 2017. it was really fun. mostly cause my friends kids were there, but still.

there's 40 dollar parking by Bagby that is directly next to parade route fyi
maroon barchetta
swimmerbabe11 said:

I went to the parade in 2017. it was really fun. mostly cause my friends kids were there, but still.

there's 40 dollar parking by Bagby that is directly next to parade route fyi

$40 to park to watch millionaires ride a fire truck?
AlaskanAg99
AG
There's absolutely no way I could re-arrange all my meetings that have ripple effects throughout the week on a moments notice. So yeah, not going.
BoxingAg84
LondonAg89
AG
I work downtown. We walked about 2 blocks to watch the parade in 2017. It was fun to be part of the Astros community and celebration.

Last night we received an email from our managing partner that we would have optional work from home today -- my assistant was asked to come in as part of the "light" support because she lives downtown. When she went in a 8 a.m. it was already a cluster getting from midtown near Cyclone Anayas to our office by the JW Marriott. People with coolers, looking for places to park and spending 6 + hours for this!

I'm working from home.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ha, now that's hilarious if the streets will be running with urine.
txags92
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

txags92 said:

On the Channel 2 news last night, they had an interview with somebody from HISD that said that was exactly the reason. She stated that back in 2017, they had about 1,000 employees call in sick the day of the parade.
swimmerbabe11
If you have a couple kids, its cheaper than the zoo or movies or ...most forms of entertainment..and probably staged at the easiest place to get in and out.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
BoxingAg84 said:

Political shenanigans maybe? Or just good old incompetence?
Sea Speed
AG
txags92 said:

ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

txags92 said:

On the Channel 2 news last night, they had an interview with somebody from HISD that said that was exactly the reason. She stated that back in 2017, they had about 1,000 employees call in sick the day of the parade.

They should all have been fired unless they had a verifiable illness.
Sea Speed
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

BoxingAg84 said:

Political shenanigans maybe? Or just good old incompetence?

Don't ascribe to malice what can be plainly explained by incompetence.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.