Houston
Sponsored by

2022 DisAstros Thread

175,901 Views | 1876 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Echoes97
WALTON LOADS!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I doubt he made it up. It was likely Rizzo's agent feeding him that info.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Chewy said:

Just looked it up. Hensley started 31 games at SS in Sugar Land last year.

23 at 3B
22 at 2B
15 at 1B
6 at LF
3 at DH

Dusty loves him and he seems to have a good awareness of the strike zone at the MLB level so I bet he replaces Diaz since he's a free agent and really hasn't done much.
I wouldnt be opposed to seeing him split time with Yuli at 1B, utility guy for the other infielders and DH.
jetch17
AG
CY YOUNG UNANIMOUS
Bondag
AG
jetch17 said:

CY YOUNG UNANIMOUS

schmendeler
AG
Panama Red
AG
Wow!
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Without a GM? I like it!!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

Without a GM? I like it!!
Crane is the GM
David_Puddy
AG
The rich get richer
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Replacing our existing first baseman with...an aging Cuban first baseman who is in a career decline? Ionno man.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Replacing our existing first baseman with...an aging Cuban first baseman who is in a career decline? Ionno man.
career decline base on what?
txags92
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Head Ninja In Charge said:

career decline base on what?
Looking at 2022 stats alone, Abreu over Yuli is a no brainer. The only thing Yuli had more of was strikeouts and stolen bases.
schmendeler
AG
MAS444
AG
I haven't read anything so maybe this is a dumb question... but any chance we keep Yuli as a utility IF/backup?
schmendeler
AG
I've seen some of the Astros Twitter folks say that we might keep him as utility. But nothing concrete.
TulaneAg
MAS444 said:

I haven't read anything so maybe this is a dumb question... but any chance we keep Yuli as a utility IF/backup?
My guess is it'd be up to Yuli if he wants to take that kinda role and the money that comes along with that role. He could certainly get more as a 1st baseman on the open market.

There might be another wild card in that Crane may just want Yuli gone so that Dusty doesn't default back to him like he did this year after the trade deadline. I think more than half the problem between Click, Crane, and Dusty this year was from the front office pulling the trigger at the trade deadline and spending the money/trades/draft picks then Dusty not committing to and playing the 'upgrades' daily.
Panama Red
AG
They weren't really upgrades, so Dusty was right in how he managed that playing time.

MAS444
AG
Dusty will/should be fired this off-season anyway.

-texags
TulaneAg
Panama Red said:

They weren't really upgrades, so Dusty was right in how he managed that playing time.

I understand what we all saw as the end result, but on paper they were significant upgrades if you're a metrics guy. But you have to play them consistently to get the statistical benefit. You can't insert them once a week and expect them to deliver on command.

It worked out and that's what matters but the Astros front office fancies themselves an advanced analytics type of org and they (and Dusty) got a little lucky and won in spite of the decisions he made. I'm imagining there's some propeller head in the background telling Crane they would've won 107.6 games and taken the series in 5 had they played Mancini and Vasquez in 80.321% of the remaining games.

And Dusty is telling that guy to piss off and we wouldn't have won without Yuli and Maldonado's leadership, experience, and locker room presence.... None of which can be measured. That's what makes this stuff so fun and interesting.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
The Astros have announced the signing of former Rookie of the Year and MVP first baseman Jos Abreu. Abreu, a three-time Silver Slugger and three-time All-Star, has signed a three-year deal that will keep him in Houston through 2025.

Prior to signing with the Astros, Abreu spent his entire nine-year career with the Chicago White Sox. An excellent offensive weapon, Abreu has a career batting average of .292, OBP of .354, and slugging of .506. Along with his hitting, Abreu has been a model of consistency, appearing in 152 or more games in six of his eight full seasons.

See the World Champion Houston Astros and their newest first baseman all season long in 2023! Astros season tickets are available now. Be here for every step as the Astros look to defend their World Series title!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
MAS444
AG
Not worth it IMO. We'll see.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Agreed. That's crazy money
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
txags92
AG
MAS444 said:

Not for a guy who can't be counted on as your #1 starter in the playoffs. Somebody getting that kind of money needs to be an ace in the playoffs, not 1-7 or whatever Verlander is.
htxag09
AG
txags92 said:

MAS444 said:

Not for a guy who can't be counted on as your #1 starter in the playoffs. Somebody getting that kind of money needs to be an ace in the playoffs, not 1-7 or whatever Verlander is.
Pretty sure Verlander is 16-11 in the playoffs. You may be talking specific to the World Series, but who knows, maybe he got that monkey off his back this year with his first win.

I agree he's not worth it, to the Astros. But for different reasons. We have pretty damn good depth at pitching and could use the money elsewhere.
txags92
AG
htxag09 said:

txags92 said:

MAS444 said:

Pretty sure Verlander is 16-11 in the playoffs. You may be talking specific to the World Series, but who knows, maybe he got that monkey off his back this year with his first win.

I agree he's not worth it, to the Astros. But for different reasons. We have pretty damn good depth at pitching and could use the money elsewhere.
Ok, fair enough, I was thinking World Series and said playoffs. But his last 3 playoff runs (2018, 2019, and 2022), his ERA is over 4. Not what you want for that kind of money.
htxag09
AG
Again, Astros are in a unique position with depth and playoff experience they can say that. The vast majority of teams cannot and would take him in a heart beat.
txags92
AG
htxag09 said:

Again, Astros are in a unique position with depth and playoff experience they can say that. The vast majority of teams cannot and would take him in a heart beat.
No argument there.
schmendeler
AG
How much to buy Kate Upton's contract and have her work 1-on-1 with Hunter Brown?
Al Bula
AG
sts7049 said:

anyone see Liver King at the game yesterday?

https://instagr.am/p/ChFKXViOENZ
Liver King was on roids?!?!

No way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/12/06/liver-king-steroids-apology-ancestral-diet/
Quote:

According to the private emails allegedly sent by Johnson, he was at one point spending at least $11,000 a month on vials of the human growth hormone Omnitrope.

Sea Speed
AG
I'm so happy I had never heard of whatever the **** the liver king is until today. Social media is ridiculous.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
So….the Yankees got to use special balls all season that gave them dingers. Neat. Must be nice to be Aaron Judge right now.
txags92
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

So….the Yankees got to use special balls all season that gave them dingers. Neat. Must be nice to be Aaron Judge right now.
Do we get to put an asterisk next to his record now too? Or is MLB just going to deny the factual scientific evidence that they used different balls in different situations?
Sea Speed
AG
txags92 said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Do we get to put an asterisk next to his record now too? Or is MLB just going to deny the factual scientific evidence that they used different balls in different situations?

What evidence is there? Not refuting, but I haven't heard this story at all yet.
schmendeler
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.