Starfield from Bethesda

70,289 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
fire09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great start, exceeds expectations so far. Blown away by the scope of the game.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. It's everything I hoped it would be. I'm really wondering why a few reviewers have said it starts off slow? No it doesn't!

Even though they hold your hand a bit at first and force you down a more linear path, I'm still wandering around doing side jobs, meeting my parents, etc. Heck, I even convinced my constellation NPC (during our first mission) to briefly ignore docking at a space station (our mission objective) so that we could, instead, land on the moon... she agreed and I won't spoil anything, but it turned into a fun hour excursion that was profitable and helped teach me more game mechanics.

Unless I haven't gotten to the boring stuff yet, this game is awesome right away. Ships taking off and landing all over the place... friggin space pirates... it's great.
American Hardwood
AG
I love Bethesda's attention to details. But it's a love/hate thing because I am a scavenger at heart and love to loot everything. Bethesda loves (and I love it too really) to scatter tons of useless junk around. I really have to curb my urge to pick up all that junk. I mean, how much can I really make selling 357 foam cups?

Saying that, you know I'm still gonna end up with a cargo hold full of foam cups, notebooks, and folders.
BQRyno
AG
This is me. I'm really trying to convince myself I don't need to pick up every single item. So far, I haven't been successful.
Teslag
AG
I have 3 angels on my shoulder when I play Bethesda games. Good, evil, and one of those old ladies from an episode of Hoarders.
NoHo Hank
AG
BQRyno said:

This is me. I'm really trying to convince myself I don't need to pick up every single item. So far, I haven't been successful.

Biggest thing for me is figuring out what you should pick up because it is a useful crafting resource. Until you know you just get everything. Suddenly I'm at 150 weight and I'm left wondering where the hell is it all coming from? Oh 75 extra lbs of total junk.
jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Let me know how nice the Dream home is lol.

Lol, its awesome! I've already got some crafting stations built there. I've also constructed a mission board and bounty board here so I always have a safe place to go and clear my bounties.

Not to mention I have a place for all my crap now!
jr15aggie
AG
NoHo Hank said:

BQRyno said:

Biggest thing for me is figuring out what you should pick up because it is a useful crafting resource. Until you know you just get everything. Suddenly I'm at 150 weight and I'm left wondering where the hell is it all coming from? Oh 75 extra lbs of total junk.

Your ship has a cargo hold. Put all your crafting stuff in there. When I crafted stuff for my "dream home" it automatically pulled resources from the ship... I didn't have to transfer it to my person first.
Cromagnum
AG
Is performance really that bad? Seeing videos of people with a 4090 and a i13900 only able to get about 60 fps on thr max settings. That's top of the line stuff.
zip04
AG
It has run fine since I updated my drivers, but it is about 85 FPS.

Radeon 7900 XT
Ryzen 7 7700x CPU
Breggy Popup
AG
Cromagnum said:

Is performance really that bad? Seeing videos of people with a 4090 and a i13900 only able to get about 60 fps on thr max settings. That's top of the line stuff.

I'm running a 10900k and 3090. I'll check framerate later but it was pretty damn smooth last night with everything on ultra.
RAT90
AG
Before today I spent the summer re-modding Skyrim and Fallout 4. Now I am wondering what Arthmoor, DankRafft, SKK50, Kinggath, et al. are thinking or have already created for Starfield.

Then I see Nexus already has 85 mods. https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield

I think the projection is 3 months before mods are available in-game.
Zombie
Initial thoughts after about 10 hours of play....I'm in trouble. I may not get a thing done for the next month or so. I am in love with this game already. It's everything that I wanted from Skyrim and Fallout. It's so refreshing to not be in an apocalyptic world and to just walk around and listen to conversations. I am already so sidetracked on side quests It's going to take me forever to do the main quest. Definitely 10/10 for me so far. And this is from someone who worked on the original Ultima!!!
jr15aggie
AG
Walking around a moon after a rescue mission *Cave Discovered*

Remembers why I never finished Skyrim back in the day.... "Ah S#@+, here we go again!"
American Hardwood
AG
It identifies materials used for crafting. Not sure that means the other stuff is only good for trade or may have some other use.
BQRyno
AG
Where does it show that?
zip04
AG
BQRyno said:

Where does it show that?
When I hovered my mouse over an item before picking it up, in the description it stated it was used for crafting.
American Hardwood
AG
I believe it shows up when you hover over the item before you pick it up. i don't have it running in front of me right now but that is what I recall. It says something like "This material is used in crafting"

-oops, didn't refresh the page before posting and see that it was answered
BQRyno
AG
I'll have to take a look and see if that's the same on Xbox. Thanks!
Hagen95
AG
jr15aggie said:

Walking around a moon after a rescue mission *Cave Discovered*

Remembers why I never finished Skyrim back in the day.... "Ah S#@+, here we go again!"
This would be bad for me in so many ways. Kinda glad I'm not playing this game.
RAT90
AG
These are not in-and-out Skyrim caves either. I think I lost an hour of time IRL before I found an exit.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Me on this thread, waiting until 9/6.

DallasTeleAg
Oh wow... just found a magazine with small permanent boost, like in fallout. Keep yalls eyes open for those.
jr15aggie
AG
Just to clarify, he's talking about a reading magazine, not a gun mag.

Keep an eye on those tables and desks!
javajaws
AG
Lol I got caught lifting some food off a table and now I got roped into being an undercover agent! What have I gotten myself into?!?
BQRyno
AG
Yeah I need to remember to leave my chaperone outside when I'm "stealing" everything in sight..
Average Joe
AG
I can't get back in now. Getting an error in game pass telling me it's too early.
jr15aggie
AG
BQRyno said:

Yeah I need to remember to leave my chaperone outside when I'm "stealing" everything in sight..

I heard from a reviewer to ALWAYS leave your NPC behind when you visit Neon... they will very much disapprove of the debauchery that you will be partaking in.

Speaking of.... has anybody found a good black market dealer I could sell to? I'm sitting on a stockpile of very expensive and illicit stuff I need to move.
Hagen95
AG
Sounds like fence would be a great character to roll
DallasTeleAg
For a fence: Wolf system, at the Den.
wangus12
AG
Off to Alaska so I'll be waiting all week to get back into it. Have only just gotten to New Atlantis
zip04
AG
I still think Baldur's Gate 3 should be game of the year, but Starfield is a good game that I enjoy even more the more I play. Very well done and feels like one I will play for hundreds of hours.
Artorias
AG
Played a few hours. Enough to mostly explore the first planet and make it to the first big city. First impression is pretty good. Definitely some UX clunkiness and they do a really bad job of teaching the player the controls. I had to check my key binds to figure out how to do a lot of basic controls.Definitely see the hallmark designs/features from Fallout/Elder Scrolls in the game.
Breggy Popup
AG
Bregxit said:

Cromagnum said:

I'm running a 10900k and 3090. I'll check framerate later but it was pretty damn smooth last night with everything on ultra.
Played tonight with Afterburner display up. I was running 60-100 FPS depending on where I was.
jr15aggie
AG
Once you've been to a location on a planer, it appears to skip the landing cut scene on future visits. Anybody know a way to NOT skip the landing sequence?

I appreciate them trying to pick up the pace, but sometimes I want the experience. Like taking your horse for slow ride in Skyrim when fast travel was an option.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.