Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

57,797 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

Or your car is always plugged in with enough juice to get out of harms way and run the AC for two days.
Better yet. Have a second home somewhere up north that you can spend your summers during hurricane season.
newbie11
Rapier108 said:

Can we keep the SLS bashing to the SpaceX fanboy thread?

I've got a solution. Only rebuild homes of republicans. Tell Biden to screw hi self. We don't need fed money.
HollywoodBQ
AG
richardag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Cromagnum said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Premium said:

Teslag said:

Premium said:

Downed power lines = free electricity

/Teslag

what a stupid post
My biggest stock position is Tesla by a wide margin, love everything Elon. However, the fanboys thinking electric is viable in Texas, without Nuclear, are heads in the sand. Also, infrastructure will not be there for 30 years. That's best case scenario. I expect it to take 40-50 years to be universally possible. Filling up can't take more than 10 minutes and there need to be as many chargers per station as fuel pumps.

But even then, what is the incentive to build chargers when everyone "fills up" at home?
The incentive for your work to provide a charger is if they want you to come in to work.
If they want you in the office, they better provide a place to charge your EV.

That probably goes for minimum wage fast food workers too.
Wal-Mart, Taco Bell, etc. will need to provide employee parking with a charger.

Anyway, a digression from the Hurricane discussion but... I think the EV conversation and natural disasters is a good point.

When my family members took 14 hours to get to College Station, they had stories about folks running out of gas and carrying jerry cans, etc.

Can you imagine a hurricane evacuation with EVs littering the side of the road where they ran out of charge? Some enterprising Diesel Bro could drive by offering charges at $10/mile or something like that. How much further to Waller? $100

They don't do that for employees with ICE vehicles. Screw the EV entitlement. You should be expected to come in because you are expected to come in.
Yeah, we've had about 115+ years to develop a network of petroleum / diesel stations to meet demand.
Here in California, we're now being told that 13 years from now we're all going to magically cutover to a new method of powering your vehicle which significantly shortens the range of your vehicle.

So... yeah, probably a good idea for employers to get involved in the powering of their employees daily commuter vehicle - if they want them to do that. Otherwise, WFH until forever.

What I've seen at most companies since the Plandemic started is that only certain employees are being forced back into the office so that theoretical employer only needs to power EVs for maybe 15-20% of their employees.
I probably won't live long enough to see it(doubt I make it to 85 yr old in 2035), but my guess is that after the European and American Auto manufacturers discontinue ICE autos, the Chinese manufacturers will suddenly be the only choice. As the electric grid fails to supply all the EVs enough power to charge up the batteries, the demand for ICE vehicles will increase.

Maybe Mexico will continue to manufacture ICE with all the American plants being shut down. Pinto knock offs for everyone.
God Bless you.

I think you're on the right track. I don't know about China but we're probably going to be driving vehicles manufactured in India like the Mahindra Roxor which is sold in the USA at tractor dealerships.

https://roxoroffroad.com/base-model
HollywoodBQ
AG
AgLiving06 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

AgLiving06 said:

Question B is pretty disingenuous.

Tampa has been in the cross hairs of all of the models for a while. The Euro model has been bringing it through the bulk of Florida for at least week and those models are dang good.

So while I understand it was a tough decision, don't blame the models. They have been nailing this thing into Florida for a while.
If you're from the Gulf Coast, you know that computer models 5 days in advance are wrong all the time because of other weather factors. If they're predicting Tampa 5 days in advance, there's a pretty good chance it's not going to hit Tampa.

This one is interesting because the only real change I've seen in the past 4 days (since we had to decide whether to send somebody) was that the advancement rate of the storm has slowed and the landfall has shifted slightly further north.

Look. I get it...you feel guilty about your decision. But Florida and Tampa specifically has been in the crosshairs from the start, especially with the Euro, which as someone from the gulf coast, we know is the gold standard.

This is from the 22nd.

This is from the 21st:

Even DeSantis issues a State of Emergency on the 23rd based on the models:

State of Emergency

So there was ample reason to be concerned and/or have contingencies in place.

I'm still plotting the trajectory on a Kroger bag hurricane tracking chart.
HollywoodBQ
AG
redcrayon said:

Unless your job is critical, don't go into a potential disaster area where local authorities will be doing all they can to take care of the people who actually live there. You're adding to the mass of people who need to evacuate. You're taking a hotel room from a family who might need it if their home is uninhabitable. It's not about you.
During the scamdemic in California, we learned that there's a lot of variability in what is a "critical job".
Fast Food is a critical job.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Manhattan said:

David Wallace said:

Teslag said:

It's stupid because I've consistently said that EV's don't make sense for most car buyers and quite possibly never will.
I believe EVs make no sense in a natural disaster/evacuation scenario. The lines at gas stations would be long. But can you imagine the line for EV charging stations along the evacuation routes?

Plus. think about power outages. Many folks use their gasoline powered vehicles to charge their phones or plug in an extension cord to run an appliance Of even to just run the car AC (or heater like during the freeze in 2021) to get some cool air for a bit. Its easy to stock pile gallons of gas in a container to keep the car going. Cant do that with EVs.

Or your car is always plugged in with enough juice to get out of harms way and run the AC for two days.
Serious question - what does that do to battery life?
HollywoodBQ
AG
So my guy I sent out to Tampa yesterday fixed as much stuff as could be fixed today.
The customer closed their facility at 2pm and my guy is on an 8am flight home in the morning.
Dodged that bullet.
Manhattan
AC will use about 1-2 kWh per hour, my Tesla has an 82kWh battery. If it was an emergency and id be stuck for three days id just set it higher/lower.

Let's take this discussion to the other thread- https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3323147
Premium
AG
Give them a break, they've been getting their ass handed to them by DeSantis and Abbott for months. I would expect them to let it all out on a non issue.
Rapier108
Fox News Headline: "Storm of the Century!"

Hurricanes Katrina, Maria, Ike, and Harvey say "Wait Just a Damn Minute!"
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous Source
S
Closing and evacuating the dorms at USF by 9:00am Tuesday
Gig 'Em
Rapier108
Cat 3 or Cat 4 at landfall is now expected with the area being very prone to flooding and a storm surge of up to 15ft currently predicted.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
bmks270
AG
Tampa will be under a few feet of water.
Some areas of Tampa flood frequently during thunderstorms. The rainfall is going to turn it into Atlantis.
aezmvp
Rapier108 said:

Cat 3 or Cat 4 at landfall is now expected with the area being very prone to flooding and a storm surge of up to 15ft currently predicted.
Oooof.
P.U.T.U
AG
I am in the Orlando airport, got a flight a day earlier than planned and to get back to DFW I have to go to Cleveland to Houston to DFW to Love. I was staying at a hotel where the national guard was setting up, said if I did not get out today I would likely be stuck for a few days since they are planning on shutting down the airport after dark. Tampa residents could stay at several hotels in the Orlando area for no more than $50 a night.
fooz
Rapier108
NASA has moved the SLS back inside the VAB.
Wheatables02
AG
We have family friends who live in Sarasota who are staying. One has to because of his job but I'm not sure why the rest don't leave..
titan
S
Wheatables02 said:

We have family friends who live in Sarasota who are staying. One has to because of his job but I'm not sure why the rest don't leave..
Have they weathered a direct one before, and do they trust the power and access?

Maybe they are making a judgement call.
wbt5845
AG
FL_Ag1998
AG
bmks270 said:

Some areas of Tampa flood frequently during thunderstorms. The rainfall is going to turn it into Atlantis.

Don't exaggerate or anything, lol. There will be flooding simply because of the heavy rain. But highly unlikely the whole city will be under a few feet of water. We're not New Orleans.
Cromagnum
AG
These twitter morons are some ****heads. Almost makes you wish for a massive earthquake on the west coast and brutally cold winters with no electricity in the northeast.
Rapier108
Biden is refusing to speak with DeSantis about the hurricane. Instead he's calling mayors and county officials in Florida.
agdoc2001
AG
Rapier108 said:

Biden is refusing to speak with DeSantis about the hurricane. Instead he's calling mayors and county officials in Florida.
Grownups back in charge, everybody!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Collective
AG
Ryan is not a fear-caster.
FriscoKid
AG
Looks like it could hit Sanibel Island. That was one of my favorite vacation spots ever. Whole barrier island would be under water and cause some serious damage.
HollywoodBQ
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

bmks270 said:

Don't exaggerate or anything, lol. There will be flooding simply because of the heavy rain. But highly unlikely the whole city will be under a few feet of water. We're not New Orleans.
Can't wait for the next season of "Selling Tampa"
aggie_sprt
Any chance the landfall shifts to just south of Ft.Meyer's?

Would the everglades help absorb a lot of the potential storm surge?
OnlyForNow
AG
If it is in that vicinity, yes. That's exactly what they are for. This may help kill a lot of those pythons.
fooz
12Z EPS

aezmvp
OnlyForNow said:

If it is in that vicinity, yes. That's exactly what they are for. This may help kill a lot of those pythons.
Or maybe they end up on the next season of Selling Tampa.
Wheatables02
AG
titan said:

Wheatables02 said:

Have they weathered a direct one before, and do they trust the power and access?

I don't think Sarasota has ever taken a direct or near direct hit in our lifetime. It definitely hasn't since they moved there around 2007. Husband is in public safety so he cannot leave. School was all cancelled starting yesterday.
Stat Monitor Repairman
fightingfarmer09 said:

Will the media explain how this is one of the least active seasons in history and how the projections for hurricane season were completely wrong?
They've predicted a bad hurricane season every single year, every year of my life.

It's a canned news story like stationing a reporter at the post office on tax day.
titan
S
The Collective said:

Ryan is not a fear-caster.

Nothing, that is stopping it from doing so or otherwise losing strength when need than the Will of God.
smucket
AG
Wheatables02 said:

titan said:

Wheatables02 said:

I don't think Sarasota has ever taken a direct or near direct hit in our lifetime. It definitely hasn't since they moved there around 2007. Husband is in public safety so he cannot leave. School was all cancelled starting yesterday.
Sarasota checking in here. I am told the last direct hit on Sarasota was in 1921. Just spent all day putting storm covers over everyone's windows in our neighborhood. We did all windows on 10 2-story townhomes and it took two guys with 30 ft ladders and the rest of us working on the first floors 8 hours to finish. We are all staying put for the storm. It looks like it may hit right where we are, but we are 6 miles inland so storm surge won't be an issue but I don't know what we may encounter with flooding. It's been raining here almost every day since late June and some days we get 4-6 inches of rain on top of the previous days inch or two. No flooding around us ever, but nearby roads get flooded quickly when it rains hard. So we'll see.
The world looks yellow to a jaundiced eye

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.