Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

57,785 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

HollywoodBQ said:

I just sent one of my direct reports to Tampa for a critical fix at a customer site that had to be performed in person.

Now I'm regretting that decision because the earliest they can get him out is on Wednesday night which is right when Tampa will be at the worst stage if the NOAA NHC 5-day forecast model holds up. So I know those flights will be cancelled. This is going to be interesting.
Get a rental car reserved now
Looks like my guy finally got confirmed on a flight back to California on Tuesday morning.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Ag with kids said:

LMCane said:

are there oil and gas rigs in the eastern part of the Gulf?

Doesn't look like it...
That map is awesome. I've never seen that before.

Thanks for sharing!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yea I meant in the car and on the road now, client can deal until this blows over.
Just found out that this major crisis is for a system that hasn't been working for 8 months.
I'm so pissed off about the BS story that was sold to get one of my people on-site immediately.
HollywoodBQ
AG
David Wallace said:

akm91 said:

Gotcha. I did an evacuation from Orlando once. A normal 6 hour drive turned into 12 hours of driving and hunting for gas. I-75 was a complete bottlneck until the I-10 intersection.
Just imagine if you had an Electric Vehicle.
Now make it 2035 and a M9.2 hits Los Angeles.

That's what Hollywood needs to make a movie about.

I should throw that idea to my screenwriter neighbor. I don't think it will pass her sniff test unless she can write that the earthquake was caused by Donald Trump.

Ever notice how there aren't any EVs in the video for "California Love"?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Sea Speed said:

akm91 said:

Gotcha. I did an evacuation from Orlando once. A normal 6 hour drive turned into 12 hours of driving and hunting for gas. I-75 was a complete bottlneck until the I-10 intersection.
Anyone involved in hurricane Rita evacuatuon is intimately familiar with evacuation traffic pain. Luckily we went north to 2920 and then west and avoided most of it, but people were stuck on 290 for days iirc.
I think that was the one where some of my family took 14 hours to get from Galveston County to College Station.

So naturally, they stopped evacuating after that. Ike, Harvey, sheltered in place.
HollywoodBQ
AG
torrid said:

Cromagnum said:

Sea Speed said:

akm91 said:

Anyone involved in hurricane Rita evacuatuon is intimately familiar with evacuation traffic pain. Luckily we went north to 2920 and then west and avoided most of it, but people were stuck on 290 for days iirc.

That evacuation just boiled down to one thing: people are dumbasses.

Katrina just happened and people panicked, thinking Houston was going to be just like New Orleans was. You also had idiots that live 60-70 miles from the shore clogging up the highways and preventing coastal residents from getting out.
Yeah, if you are not on the immediate coast find a spot that won't flood from rains. Get some food and plan to stay there a few days. Much better than being caught out in the open in a traffic jam with no gas.
After Harvey, we now know exactly how high the water can possibly get.
With my family in Galveston and Clear Lake, we're talking inches away from flooding but... didn't flood.

One family member did flood during Harvey because some a-hole had built some stuff and clogged up the drainage channel to the canal. Sucked for them but the insurance payout was pretty good.
Houston Lee
AG
Teslag said:

It's stupid because I've consistently said that EV's don't make sense for most car buyers and quite possibly never will.
I believe EVs make no sense in a natural disaster/evacuation scenario. The lines at gas stations would be long. But can you imagine the line for EV charging stations along the evacuation routes?

Plus. think about power outages. Many folks use their gasoline powered vehicles to charge their phones or plug in an extension cord to run an appliance Of even to just run the car AC (or heater like during the freeze in 2021) to get some cool air for a bit. Its easy to stock pile gallons of gas in a container to keep the car going. Cant do that with EVs.

HollywoodBQ
AG
The Collective said:

HollywoodBQ said:

I just sent one of my direct reports to Tampa for a critical fix at a customer site that had to be performed in person.

Now I'm regretting that decision because the earliest they can get him out is on Wednesday night which is right when Tampa will be at the worst stage if the NOAA NHC 5-day forecast model holds up. So I know those flights will be cancelled. This is going to be interesting.
Not that he will want to ride it out, but the hotels there should be fairly safe. It will suck getting stuck there a few days though. Where is he staying in Tampa?
Don't know exactly where he's staying in Tampa but when he checked in on Sunday, the hotel told him that they would be evacuating on Wednesday.

I'm not sure if that meant they were going to take him somewhere or if that was a notice that come Wednesday he wasn't going to have a place to stay.
Teslag
AG
David Wallace said:

Teslag said:

It's stupid because I've consistently said that EV's don't make sense for most car buyers and quite possibly never will.
I believe EVs make no sense in a natural disaster/evacuation scenario. The lines at gas stations would be long. But can you imagine the line for EV charging stations along the evacuation routes?

Plus. think about power outages. Many folks use their gasoline powered vehicles to charge their phones or plug in an extension cord to run an appliance Of even to just run the car AC (or heater like during the freeze in 2021) to get some cool air for a bit. Its easy to stock pile gallons of gas in a container to keep the car going. Cant do that with EVs.

Running the AC in a Tesla consumes 1.6kwh of power. With the 72kwh battery the AC could be run for almost 45 hours before needing another charge. You'd only really need this for about 8 hours or so each day. You could probably stretch the battery for 7 to 10 days if necessary.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Premium said:

Teslag said:

Premium said:

Downed power lines = free electricity

/Teslag

what a stupid post
My biggest stock position is Tesla by a wide margin, love everything Elon. However, the fanboys thinking electric is viable in Texas, without Nuclear, are heads in the sand. Also, infrastructure will not be there for 30 years. That's best case scenario. I expect it to take 40-50 years to be universally possible. Filling up can't take more than 10 minutes and there need to be as many chargers per station as fuel pumps.

But even then, what is the incentive to build chargers when everyone "fills up" at home?
The incentive for your work to provide a charger is if they want you to come in to work.
If they want you in the office, they better provide a place to charge your EV.
That probably goes for minimum wage fast food workers too.
Wal-Mart, Taco Bell, etc. will need to provide employee parking with a charger.

Anyway, a digression from the Hurricane discussion but... I think the EV conversation and natural disasters is a good point.

When my family members took 14 hours to get to College Station, they had stories about folks running out of gas and carrying jerry cans, etc.

Can you imagine a hurricane evacuation with EVs littering the side of the road where they ran out of charge? Some enterprising Diesel Bro could drive by offering charges at $10/mile or something like that. How much further to Waller? $100
HollywoodBQ
AG
Teslag said:

David Wallace said:

Teslag said:

Running the AC in a Tesla consumes 1.6kwh of power. With the 72kwh battery the AC could be run for almost 45 hours before needing another charge. You'd only really need this for about 8 hours or so each day. You could probably stretch the battery for 7 to 10 days if necessary.
+ the drive from let's say Dickinson / League City to let's say your friend's house in College Station
Better hope you got the extended range.

Back in 2017, I was in a snowstorm in Lake Tahoe in a BMW X5 with the 4.8L V8. It burned less than 1/4 of a tank during the 10 hours I spent idling to go 10 miles to the California snow chain inspection station (with the heat on obviously). Literally 1 mile per hour but really hardly consumed any petrol. Luckily I had topped off the day before in anticipation of the snow storm.
FriscoKid
AG
Cromagnum
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Premium said:

Teslag said:

Premium said:

/Teslag

what a stupid post
My biggest stock position is Tesla by a wide margin, love everything Elon. However, the fanboys thinking electric is viable in Texas, without Nuclear, are heads in the sand. Also, infrastructure will not be there for 30 years. That's best case scenario. I expect it to take 40-50 years to be universally possible. Filling up can't take more than 10 minutes and there need to be as many chargers per station as fuel pumps.

But even then, what is the incentive to build chargers when everyone "fills up" at home?
The incentive for your work to provide a charger is if they want you to come in to work.

Anyway, a digression from the Hurricane discussion but... I think the EV conversation and natural disasters is a good point.

When my family members took 14 hours to get to College Station, they had stories about folks running out of gas and carrying jerry cans, etc.

Can you imagine a hurricane evacuation with EVs littering the side of the road where they ran out of charge? Some enterprising Diesel Bro could drive by offering charges at $10/mile or something like that. How much further to Waller? $100

They don't do that for employees with ICE vehicles. Screw the EV entitlement. You should be expected to come in because you are expected to come in.
nukeaggie2000
AG
So much for seeing the Artemis launch. Now we are stuck riding out Ian in Orlando and leaving behind our RV in Wildwood, FL. No gas around and I don't want to run out of gas trying to head north to Tallahassee.
Manhattan
HollywoodBQ said:

Presumably people are leaving their houses so are at full charge…. EVs sound more like a solution in this scenario, one kWh (duty cycled so not a constant KW) per hour of AC would keep you from melting even in august.
redcrayon
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Stupid for a company to send an employee to a location with an impending disaster. That guy should have refused to go.
HollywoodBQ
AG
redcrayon said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Stupid for a company to send an employee to a location with an impending disaster. That guy should have refused to go.
A - How do you feel about linemen?
And other folks who can bring critical infrastructure online.

B - How much faith do you put in computer models?
The arrival of this "impending disaster" has already been delayed by 24 hours since last Thursday.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Manhattan said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Presumably people are leaving their houses so are at full charge…. EVs sound more like a solution in this scenario, one kWh (duty cycled so not a constant KW) per hour of AC would keep you from melting even in august.
So people crash the grid ahead of the disaster because everybody's car needs a charge at the same time.

Assuming everybody leaves home fully charged up, then there wouldn't really be any need for chargers. But I'm guessing that once EVs make their way past the early adopters, we're going to see more and more partially charged EVs leaving home. Of course some of that probably depends on who pays the light bill.

I can only imagine the pandemonium at the superchargers at Bucee's in Waller during the next Hurricane Evac.
AgLiving06
Question B is pretty disingenuous.

Tampa has been in the cross hairs of all of the models for a while. The Euro model has been bringing it through the bulk of Florida for at least week and those models are dang good.

So while I understand it was a tough decision, don't blame the models. They have been nailing this thing into Florida for a while.
richardag
AggieUSMC said:

Quote:

I wonder, will desantis ask biden for federal aid?
If he has to. But so what? This isn't about politics. Congress appropriated the funds for things like this and he's perfectly within his rights to ask for it if needed. And he'll get it if needed. The administration wouldn't be stupid enough to deny the funds over petty political differences.
Yes Congress appropriates money for emergencies, agreed.

Yes Governor is within his rights to ask for the emergency funds.

It remains to be seen if this administration is stupid OR EVIL enough to deny the funds over political differences.

What we do know, as is even apparent by posters within this thread, that the President, his administration, the leftist progressives and above all the main stream media will shout from this from rooftops, constantly bludgeon Governor Desantis for weeks if not months over this request and exhibit their extreme bias toward their political opponents.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
HollywoodBQ
AG
Cromagnum said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Premium said:

Teslag said:

Premium said:

/Teslag

what a stupid post

They don't do that for employees with ICE vehicles. Screw the EV entitlement. You should be expected to come in because you are expected to come in.
Yeah, we've had about 115+ years to develop a network of petroleum / diesel stations to meet demand.
Here in California, we're now being told that 13 years from now we're all going to magically cutover to a new method of powering your vehicle which significantly shortens the range of your vehicle.

So... yeah, probably a good idea for employers to get involved in the powering of their employees daily commuter vehicle - if they want them to do that. Otherwise, WFH until forever.

What I've seen at most companies since the Plandemic started is that only certain employees are being forced back into the office so that theoretical employer only needs to power EVs for maybe 15-20% of their employees.
redcrayon
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

redcrayon said:

HollywoodBQ said:

The arrival of this "impending disaster" has already been delayed by 24 hours since last Thursday.

They normally stage outside of the disaster area and move in after the storm passes.

You already admitted he shouldn't have gone. If the decision to send was yours, it's okay. We all make mistakes. But I'd consider why your employee wasn't comfortable enough to refuse.
HollywoodBQ
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Tampa has been in the cross hairs of all of the models for a while. The Euro model has been bringing it through the bulk of Florida for at least week and those models are dang good.

So while I understand it was a tough decision, don't blame the models. They have been nailing this thing into Florida for a while.
If you're from the Gulf Coast, you know that computer models 5 days in advance are wrong all the time because of other weather factors. If they're predicting Tampa 5 days in advance, there's a pretty good chance it's not going to hit Tampa.

This one is interesting because the only real change I've seen in the past 4 days (since we had to decide whether to send somebody) was that the advancement rate of the storm has slowed and the landfall has shifted slightly further north.
Bag
AG
https://www.gomXchange.com

good website to see the path relative to oil and gas offshore infrastructure and vessels
HollywoodBQ
AG
redcrayon said:

HollywoodBQ said:

redcrayon said:

HollywoodBQ said:

They normally stage outside of the disaster area and move in after the storm passes.

You already admitted he shouldn't have gone. If the decision to send was yours, it's okay. We all make mistakes. But I'd consider why your employee wasn't comfortable enough to refuse.
Yeah, we didn't find out that he shouldn't have gone until after he was on-site this morning.
That was completely different information from what we had on Thursday when we needed to make the travel decision.

Looks like my guy is on a flight out tomorrow morning which looks to be a good 40+ hours ahead of the storm arrival at this point so I think we'll be fine.

Once he was on-site, he was able to figure out that he could fix the problem in one day instead of the 2-3 days we anticipated.

Folks who work for me have to travel to places that are no fun. This particular guy has already been to Bangalore and Guadalajara this year. It's part of the job. Guadalajara was much riskier than Tampa.

Had the storm arrival been predicted for Monday, we would have made the customer wait. But with a Wednesday night prediction, we had enough time to get in and out.
richardag
Cromagnum said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Will the media explain how this is one of the least active seasons in history and how the projections for hurricane season were completely wrong?
Nope. They are too giddy, hoping for this to be a bad storm.
Unfortunately, you are correct. The Democratic Party leadership, leftist progressives and the MSM will rejoice if this is a horrific storm causing extreme damage.

Who said, "never let a crisis go to waste"?
Quotes from the article:
  • "Never let a crisis go to waste."
    "We are five days away from fundamentally transforming America."
    Two seemingly disconnected statements from two Chicago politicians Rahm Emmanuel, the White House Chief of Staff, and President Barack Hussein Obama -- were not empty words. They were long-term intentions.
    The men clearly said that, to fundamentally change America, you should never let a crisis go to waste. This is the radical left's playbook, the social experiment leading to a new order. It requires a nationwide upheaval to topple the established order via a government imposition that will forever control the masses.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
AgLiving06
HollywoodBQ said:

AgLiving06 said:

If you're from the Gulf Coast, you know that computer models 5 days in advance are wrong all the time because of other weather factors. If they're predicting Tampa 5 days in advance, there's a pretty good chance it's not going to hit Tampa.

This one is interesting because the only real change I've seen in the past 4 days (since we had to decide whether to send somebody) was that the advancement rate of the storm has slowed and the landfall has shifted slightly further north.

Look. I get it...you feel guilty about your decision. But Florida and Tampa specifically has been in the crosshairs from the start, especially with the Euro, which as someone from the gulf coast, we know is the gold standard.

This is from the 22nd.

This is from the 21st:

Even DeSantis issues a State of Emergency on the 23rd based on the models:

State of Emergency

So there was ample reason to be concerned and/or have contingencies in place.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
My prediction is that a few days after the hurricane Biden lands in Florida and makes a speech that says something along the lines of "unlike republicans, as your president I'm here to help all persons residing within American borders, regardless of their documentation status".
TREX01
redcrayon said:

HollywoodBQ said:

redcrayon said:

HollywoodBQ said:

This is shocking, but some people actually like to do their jobs and have no problem getting slightly into harms way.
redcrayon
AG
Unless your job is critical, don't go into a potential disaster area where local authorities will be doing all they can to take care of the people who actually live there. You're adding to the mass of people who need to evacuate. You're taking a hotel room from a family who might need it if their home is uninhabitable. It's not about you.
richardag
HollywoodBQ said:

Cromagnum said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Premium said:

Teslag said:

Premium said:

/Teslag

what a stupid post

Yeah, we've had about 115+ years to develop a network of petroleum / diesel stations to meet demand.
Here in California, we're now being told that 13 years from now we're all going to magically cutover to a new method of powering your vehicle which significantly shortens the range of your vehicle.

So... yeah, probably a good idea for employers to get involved in the powering of their employees daily commuter vehicle - if they want them to do that. Otherwise, WFH until forever.

What I've seen at most companies since the Plandemic started is that only certain employees are being forced back into the office so that theoretical employer only needs to power EVs for maybe 15-20% of their employees.
I probably won't live long enough to see it(doubt I make it to 85 yr old in 2035), but my guess is that after the European and American Auto manufacturers discontinue ICE autos, the Chinese manufacturers will suddenly be the only choice. As the electric grid fails to supply all the EVs enough power to charge up the batteries, the demand for ICE vehicles will increase.

Maybe Mexico will continue to manufacture ICE with all the American plants being shut down. Pinto knock offs for everyone.
Demosthenes81
AG
richardag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Cromagnum said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Premium said:

Teslag said:

Premium said:

/Teslag

what a stupid post

I probably won't live long enough to see it(doubt I make it to 85 yr old in 2035), but my guess is that after the European and American Auto manufacturers discontinue ICE autos, the Chinese manufacturers will suddenly be the only choice. As the electric grid fails to supply all the EVs enough power to charge up the batteries, the demand for ICE vehicles will increase.

Maybe Mexico will continue to manufacture ICE with all the American plants being shut down. Pinto knock offs for everyone.

Those Cubans keeping 55 Chevys going look pretty smart right now eh?
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Raiderjay
5-10 ft storm surge in Tampa Bay over extended period.....That's going to leave a mark......
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Hecho en Mexico
Manhattan
David Wallace said:

Teslag said:

Or your car is always plugged in with enough juice to get out of harms way and run the AC for two days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.