Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

57,784 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
smucket said:

Wheatables02 said:

titan said:

Wheatables02 said:

We have family friends who live in Sarasota who are staying. One has to because of his job but I'm not sure why the rest don't leave..
Have they weathered a direct one before, and do they trust the power and access?

Maybe they are making a judgement call.
I don't think Sarasota has ever taken a direct or near direct hit in our lifetime. It definitely hasn't since they moved there around 2007. Husband is in public safety so he cannot leave. School was all cancelled starting yesterday.
Sarasota checking in here. I am told the last direct hit on Sarasota was in 1921. Just spent all day putting storm covers over everyone's windows in our neighborhood. We did all windows on 10 2-story townhomes and it took two guys with 30 ft ladders and the rest of us working on the first floors 8 hours to finish. We are all staying put for the storm. It looks like it may hit right where we are, but we are 6 miles inland so storm surge won't be an issue but I don't know what we may encounter with flooding. It's been raining here almost every day since late June and some days we get 4-6 inches of rain on top of the previous days inch or two. No flooding around us ever, but nearby roads get flooded quickly when it rains hard. So we'll see.
I'll be praying for you all too. My friends are also about 6 miles inland, just East of 75.
smucket
AG
Thank you, greatly appreciate it.
dermdoc
AG
Prayers sent. I think it is going south of y'all so you will be on the good side of the storm.
Lived in Beaumont with Rita and Ike. Trust me, it makes a huge difference being on the good side.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I am ready for when it is Piotrowski time!
https://www.pscp.tv/Jeff_Piotrowski/1OdKrpRgBnnJX
C@LAg
Emotional Support Cobra said:

he is already doing stuff on youtube.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Oh sweet.
smucket
AG
dermdoc said:

Prayers sent. I think it is going south of y'all so you will be on the good side of the storm.
Lived in Beaumont with Rita and Ike. Trust me, it makes a huge difference being on the good side.
Thank you Dermdoc. That is interesting, I have not heard that before. Maybe I'll share that with my wife who has started to freak out a bit today.
The Collective
AG
Sounds like a hard day of work. Hope you get some rest and best of luck.

MAROON
AG

same guy who almost died at Mexico Beach?
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
MAROON said:

Same guy who rode out the first half of Harvey at the Blue Shed car wash. He's my hero.
MAROON
AG
so h;'s now on youtube? Periscope a thing of the past?
LMCane
C@LAg said:

anything live right now? looks like 11 hours ago on the twisterchaser channel

whats the best youtube to be watching for live updates.

THIS is why I am buying in Ormond Beach and not on the gulf coast or miami!
TAMU1990
AG

MAROON said:

Same guy who rode out the first half of Harvey at the Blue Shed car wash. He's my hero.
That video was INSANE!
C@LAg
LMCane said:

C@LAg said:

anything live right now? looks like 11 hours ago on the twisterchaser channel

whats the best youtube to be watching for live updates.

THIS is why I am buying in Ormond Beach and not on the gulf coast or miami!
no. you have to bounce between TwisterChasers and his Twitter account

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski

it is still early in the event so expect updates to be much more frequent/
Smeghead4761
Rapier108 said:

Biden is refusing to speak with DeSantis about the hurricane. Instead he's calling mayors and county officials in Florida.
Seen on Instapundit: "Hurricane prediction: Whatever happens to Florida between now and November 2024, it'll be [treated as] the worst disaster response since Katrina and Maria. Literally Hurricane Hitler. Federal response will be reported as having been hamstrung by local ineptitude and corruption."

It's almost the exact inverse of Katrina. Back then, Republican in the White House before landfall FEMA was saying "We've got help if you want it" and (corrupt and incompetent Dems) Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin dithered until the fecal matter had already hit the rotating air circulation device. (Fun fact: FEMA can't just go into a state and do stuff. There needs to be a request from the state .gov.)

Now there's Republican in the state governor's chair, and corrupt and incompetent Dems running the show in DC.
dermdoc
AG
smucket said:

dermdoc said:

Thank you Dermdoc. That is interesting, I have not heard that before. Maybe I'll share that with my wife who has started to freak out a bit today.

I think you will lose power unless you have a generator but I think that will be the major problem.
Rather than going and fighting the crowds for bottled water, fill your bath tubs with water.
If you have frozen meats and a gas or charcoal grill grill some stuff. That is what we did.
Also bought battery operated like Coleman Lantern style lights. Stationed them around the house. And if you do not have a battery operated radio, get one.

And I always stocked up on wine.

We actually made it a party.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
TAMU1990 said:

MAROON said:

That video was INSANE!

My parent's primary residence was on Key Allegro at the time so my friend and I were texting while watching the storm hit in real time. I cannot imagine riding it out. Both houses on either side of our house imploded. What a time to be able to see that.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I think you will lose power unless you have a generator but I think that will be the major problem.
Rather than going and fighting the crowds for bottled water, fill your bath tubs with water.
If you have frozen meats and a gas or charcoal grill grill some stuff. That is what we did.
Also bought battery operated like Coleman Lantern style lights. Stationed them around the house. And if you do not have a battery operated radio, get one.

And I always stocked up on wine.
The Hubs and I would go on three to four day camping trips way down on Padre Island back in the day. Marine cooler with ten 10pound bags of ice covered in shade and Mom, the sewing wizard that she was made a "Koozy" for that cooler with white naugahide and auto hood insulation she bought from J.C. Whitneys, a little Velcro for closures over the top. That ice lasted for days and days and served for our coolers with food and ice for our drinks.

We had five gallon collapsible water containers and would fill those up right before we hit the island. Usually six of them.

Solar shower also worked well. Hence the extra water. Our camping sites looked like a freakin' compound that attracted attention from the Coast Guard overflight and Immigration helicopters.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rapier108 said:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that Biden said that, or the fact that his supporters on Twitter are dismissing the idiocy because he said it 13 months ago.

81M for sure.
C@LAg
Rapier108 said:

this was from a year ago.

still asinine and idiotic. but not from the last 368 days.
Rapier108
C@LAg said:

Rapier108 said:

this was from a year ago.

still asinine and idiotic. but not from the last 368 days.
Except the rumor, thanks to idiots spreading false information on social media, is that you have to be "vaxxed" to go to a shelter, or to receive assistance after the storm. It's all BS, but trolls are spreading it.

DeSantis had to come out and say all Floridians will receive any help and assistance they need regardless of whether they took the shots.
dermdoc
AG
I forgot to mention also go get a bunch of ice if you can.

It may melt but it then will be water.

And make sure any necessary prescriptions are refilled
smucket
AG
Thank you Dermdoc for all the great advice. I did almost everything you recommended, I have not gotten ice yet. But I did fill the bathtub earlier. And I got a new propane tank for the grill and charcoal for the other grill, got a new cooler and my wife went to Costco and got a handle of Woodford and a case of wine. So death should come by cirrhosis, not Ian.
Rapier108

TAMU1990
AG

TAMU1990 said:

MAROON said:

That video was INSANE!

My parent's primary residence was on Key Allegro at the time so my friend and I were texting while watching the storm hit in real time. I cannot imagine riding it out. Both houses on either side of our house imploded. What a time to be able to see that.
One of my best friends is from Port O'Conner. Her Dad and brother rode it out. Dad will never leave, and brother felt obligated to help Dad. Her brother said he'll never do it again.
dermdoc
AG

Hunker down.

Prayers for Sovereign God's protection.
HoldMyBeer
AG
dermdoc said:

Hunker down.

Prayers for Sovereign God's protection.
Or agacharse, as Dora would say.
Tanya 93
My mom always stocked up on cans of Underwood Deviled ham and chicken for hurricanes. A can of that with Ritz crackers and carrot sticks made many a meal when the power was gone from a hurricane or tropical storm

If you have kids, get candy and fruit snacks and Capri Suns and new crayons and coloring books.

Houston strong
BAP Enthusiast
Ian will probably be a cat 5 at landfall now. It underwent explosive intensification and is still strengthening. This storm may be one of the costliest storms in American history.
justcallmeharry
S
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/the-best-hurricane-ian-jokes-and-memes-are-already-here/Slideshow/32560043/32560359

"The best Hurricane Ian jokes and memes are already here"

They have a boatload of memes at the link...
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
B-1 83
AG
Get solar powered yard lights. They are rechargeable and last longer than many flashlights. One or two will light up a room for hours.
The Collective
AG

Oh my.
HTownAg98
****s about to get real people. Punta Gorda Waffle House closed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.