Hurricane Ian Likely Heading to Florida

57,782 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lead
titan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
fullback44 said:

1872walker said:

Qualified captain!
atmtws said:

SIAP. Some idiot in his yacht out in the storm.

That dude is qualified … I used to have a 40 ft Boston whaler .. no way in hell I drive it out there in that Surf ..
Depends on how this came about. At this point putting to sea and tryng to find deep water where the swell are less is far safer than staying next to the docks. Why he waited that long is the big question.
AGBU94
AG
titan said:

fullback44 said:

1872walker said:

Qualified captain!
atmtws said:

SIAP. Some idiot in his yacht out in the storm.

That dude is qualified … I used to have a 40 ft Boston whaler .. no way in hell I drive it out there in that Surf ..
Depends on how this came about. At this point putting to sea and tryng to find deep water where the swell are less is far safer than staying next to the docks. Why he waited that long is the big question.
The answer is Dexter......
clobby
AG
or Outer Banks
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I'm not down playing this is a bad storm ,.. 12 foot of surge about what we got in Port A… that's about max to what I'm seeing so far
Well if it is lifting houses off of their foundations and moving them downstream does it really matter if it is 12-15 feet or 18-20 feet? They don't build their houses on stilts like we do.
aggiehawg
AG
Watching Ryan's feed, the cloud tops are black. Meaning they are getting higher, right?
Pignorant
AG
In-Law's condo in Naples is toast, per my mother-in-law.

Going to be a tough road back for SW Florida.
TAMUallen
AG
HumpitPuryear
AG
Eye went right over the top of my buddy's house in Punta Gorda and his 28' Cobia in the boat lift.
TAMUallen
AG

Fort Myers still getting whooped hard

And btw fort myers is currently at 8 and half feet on the backside of the storm for the troll
fullback44
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

Eye went right over the top of my buddy's house in Punta Gorda and his 28' Cobia in the boat lift.
My older customer has a modest summer house in Naples, nothing fancy. Him and his wife live in New Jersey during the summer. I called him today and told him that myself and my business partner would meet him down there next week if he needs help.. he's retired and 77 and can't do the work.. we will get him cleaned up if he needs it. I'm hoping his house is fine … but he knows the rules, he pays his flood and wind insurance .. don't panic, you have a house by the ocean

Moral of the story.. pay your insurance when you have property on or near the sea
TAMUallen
AG
Most storm surge ever recorded in fort myers NOT fort myers beach. I'd assume that means Cape Coral is toast
Raiderjay
TAMUallen said:

Fort Myers still getting whooped hard

And btw fort myers is currently at 8 and half feet on the backside of the storm for the troll
Here username checks the hell out!
[b][raiderjay, you need to come up to the front of the bus where I can see you in this giant mirror above my steering wheel. -Staff][/b]
TAMUallen
AG
Ryan Hall stream is crazy right now!

Boat has lost its anchor and is about to come over a wall in Punta Gorda right at the chaser. The storm chaser is concerned because behind him, the roads have started to become freshwater flooded

The boat looks to be tangled up in power lines now!
titan
S
TAMUallen said:

Boat has lost its anchor and is about to come over a wall in Punta Gorda right at the chaser. The storm chaser is concerned because behind him, the roads have started to become freshwater flooded

That incidentally, is one of the main reasons that bold skipper did what he did. Its the only way to probably save his boat. You can't stay with storm surge like this and expect it to be intact.
aggiehawg
AG
Florida Man, again.

fullback44
AG
TAMUallen said:

Not a good day to be parasailing…. That's some crazy wind
TAMUallen
AG
Port Charlotte reporting gust of 142mph

Insanely powerful hurricane. This has been flirting with the coast since this morning
BadMoonRisin
AG
Ryan Hall I'd great. I subscribed to him when we had those freaking tornadic storms in Central Texas a few months ago. He said there was a funnel cloud right over my neighborhood as we were huddled I'm the closet.
fooz
BadMoonRisin said:

Ryan Hall I'd great. I subscribed to him when we had those freaking tornadic storms in Central Texas a few months ago. He said there was a funnel cloud right over my neighborhood as we were huddled I'm the closet.

I've fallen asleep a few times with him streaming to our living room TV. My wife just leaves me be then tells me how big of a nerd I am the next day.
BadMoonRisin
AG
fooz said:

BadMoonRisin said:

I've fallen asleep a few times with him
AlaskanAg99
AG
FEMA does flood insurance, not your carrier. The carrier may service the insurance but it all originates with the FED. And im fine with it, live in a risky area, pay out the nose.
TAMUallen
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

fooz said:

BadMoonRisin said:

I've fallen asleep a few times with him

Lololol
zoneag
titan said:

TAMUallen said:

That incidentally, is one of the main reasons that bold skipper did what he did. Its the only way to probably save his boat. You can't stay with storm surge like this and expect it to be intact.

You're right, but damn, that's what insurance is for. You can replace the boat but not your life.
LMCane
Pignorant said:

In-Law's condo in Naples is toast, per my mother-in-law.

Going to be a tough road back for SW Florida.
this is why I want to buy an actual home a few miles inland near Ormond Beach-

you don't have the massive hurricanes smashing into the coastline to worry about.
TyHolden
AG
More damage than Katrina?
Ag with kids
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

FEMA does flood insurance, not your carrier. The carrier may service the insurance but it all originates with the FED. And im fine with it, live in a risky area, pay out the nose.
I know FEMA does flood insurance...I pay it every year.

But, I also have to have separate wind/storm in addition to my homeowners.

Yes. I get it. I live in an area that could get damage, so I just ***** about the money, not the principle. I pay about $4000/yr for my 1600 sqft house. But, I'm on the Island and on a canal...so...oh well.

Of course, I lived 31 years in Tornado Alley (DFW and the Westoplex) and only needed homeowners, not wind/storm.
TAMUallen
AG
zoneag said:

titan said:

TAMUallen said:

You're right, but damn, that's what insurance is for. You can replace the boat but not your life.

Who knows though... he might have been living on his boat with no other options when he lost anchor or his mooring was no longer secure.

Possibly ended up lucky by finding a way out of the stronger than expected west side!
titan
S
zoneag said:

titan said:

TAMUallen said:

True, but a true man of the sea has a greater tie to his boat than that. I wish him luck and hope we learn which one it was.
aggiehawg
AG
TAMUallen
AG
aggiehawg said:

That was the Western side of Ian for record!

Charpie
AG
There is going to be so much devastation when it's all said and done
Fat Black Swan
AG
Fat Black Swan
AG
Charpie
AG
Ag with kids
AG
Rapier108 said:

Yep...I personally know people being activated by the state of Texas...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.